Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-27-2021, 04:32 PM   #13685
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
As an aside, I have been intrigued by the new Rivian R1S. Might decide to drop 1K to get a slot (fully refundable) while I do an internal debate lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post

I really like the Rivian Truck and SUV, a lot of cool features, especially on the Truck with the gear tunnel. Watched the Doug video on it yesterday and only made me want it more despite having no need for a pickup.

I also love the color pallet, a lot of fun colors like bright blue, a red, yellow, and even green on both the exterior and interior!
They're pretty impressive in person IMO - very noticeable and much cooler than just about anything else.

I see a ton of them around here (Bay Area CA), here's one I saw 2 days ago which I thought looked REALLY sharp in plain ole white. There was a Porsche right across the aisle and nobody was paying any attention to it

You can't see it very well in the pics, but the camera / antenna thing on the roof is really strange looking ...
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25073.50
minn1914012.00
      11-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #13686
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post

GrussGott You playing polo with horses and into ballet? Does the combination of all that give you ‘Sheer Driving Pleasure”? Please enlighten us!
geezus bro, learn how high performance SUVs work!
No polo or ballet until after the 1200 mile break-in service I'm pretty sure the engineers know more about this than you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Yah I wish we could get away with the smaller Macan. But after three hockey bags plus three adults and a couple of kids it fills up fast! Plus the 7700 pound towing capacity is nice in case the F-150 is out of service or we don’t want it after the lease is up next year.
I hate to say it, but for just my wife & I we were considering the X7 and looked at the Alpina just because the X5 is a bit small for all the stuff we bring on our trips. I can't even imagine hockey ... a former MN boss had 3 kids all in hockey and his suburban was routinely packed to rafters!

Ultimately we decided we could either take out the spare and/or get a cargo box as the X7 is a monster to try to drive around each destination, especially getting in & out of ramps, etc ... also there's no hiding an X7 or especially the Alpina; the X5M is fairly inconspicuous even in the color we have as it fades to black in the shade, and just looks more/less like any other SUV

Yes, yes, the hood is slightly popped open - now you can't unnotice that amiright??

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-27-2021 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 4
CT_M31478.00
stein_325i25073.50
minn1914012.00
NickyC17439.00
      11-27-2021, 04:54 PM   #13687
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Might be finally joining the SUV ranks.
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      11-27-2021, 05:21 PM   #13688
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Looks like it will be happening. They are giving us 70k for the C63S, paid 78k 15 months ago and throwing in a couple of services. About as good as I could do in this market and this is the most excited I’ve ever seen my wife about a vehicle. She loves the thing.

Slowly grow my relationship with this dealer for future allocations. Gotta start somewhere.
Appreciate 5
GrussGott18116.50
stein_325i25073.50
Arcades8162.00
Sedan_Clan24976.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
      11-27-2021, 05:27 PM   #13689
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
geezus bro, learn how high performance SUVs work!
No polo or ballet until after the 1200 mile break-in service I'm pretty sure the engineers know more about this than you do.

I hate to say it, but for just my wife & I we were considering the X7 and looked at the Alpina just because the X5 is a bit small for all the stuff we bring on our trips. I can't even imagine hockey ... a former MN boss had 3 kids all in hockey and his suburban was routinely packed to rafters!

Ultimately we decided we could either take out the spare and/or get a cargo box as the X7 is a monster to try to drive around each destination, especially getting in & out of ramps, etc ... also there's no hiding an X7 or especially the Alpina; the X5M is fairly inconspicuous even in the color we have as it fades to black in the shade, and just looks more/less like any other SUV

Yes, yes, the hood is slightly popped open - now you can't unnotice that amiright??
Thankfully we only have one in hockey. But I help coach and am regularly picking up/dropping of other kids to and from practices/games. It’ll be nice to have something other than throwing everything in the bed of the truck and digging it out. We have a couple of up north tournaments (one in Warroad), getting SUV Xice Snows put on it, gotta admit it’ll be nice to drive this on long trips like that over the F-150 all of the time.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      11-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #13690
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thankfully we only have one in hockey. But I help coach and am regularly picking up/dropping of other kids to and from practices/games. It’ll be nice to have something other than throwing everything in the bed of the truck and digging it out. We have a couple of up north tournaments (one in Warroad), getting SUV Xice Snows put on it, gotta admit it’ll be nice to drive this on long trips like that over the F-150 all of the time.
Yeah, totally ... I just ordered the only available (maybe?) wheels & tires and they're ... not cheap. And also might not be available. Or they are. Or not. But maybe. 21" Michelin Alpins on 808 wheels.

I'll find out on Mondayish - had to call ~20 dealers to find one that knew WTF was going on (tire rack, et al sold out as basically only Pirelli Scorpions would fit stock).

I'm getting the M Performance wheel bags though
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      11-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #13691
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, totally ... I just ordered the only available (maybe?) wheels & tires and they're ... not cheap. And also might not be available. Or they are. Or not. But maybe. 21" Michelin Alpins on 808 wheels.

I'll find out on Mondayish - had to call ~20 dealers to find one that knew WTF was going on (tire rack, et al sold out as basically only Pirelli Scorpions would fit stock).

I'm getting the M Performance wheel bags though
I got the Porsche ones to. Only $50 some bucks for rebadged Tire Rack totes, a bargain in the Porsche world. Guess I’ll have to get another set.

I spent today calling a few places to put together a set. Was happy I could get the new Xice Snow/SUV Snows otherwise it was a Conti or PA5 performance tire. We wanted the full on snow tire not the performance ones.

Glad you found a set that works, as you know it can be tricky finding one that does or you have to get really creative sometimes. Especially in Covid everything is out of stock times.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      11-27-2021, 07:13 PM   #13692
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Looks like it will be happening. They are giving us 70k for the C63S, paid 78k 15 months ago and throwing in a couple of services. About as good as I could do in this market and this is the most excited I’ve ever seen my wife about a vehicle. She loves the thing.

Slowly grow my relationship with this dealer for future allocations. Gotta start somewhere.
Nice, is it gonna be a custom ordered Cayenne or one off the lot?
minn1914012.00
      11-27-2021, 07:39 PM   #13693
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Nice, is it gonna be a custom ordered Cayenne or one off the lot?
Thanks, 2020 Exec demo off the lot. Has about 1300 miles on it. Custom order wouldn’t arrive probably until next summer according to our SA.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      11-27-2021, 07:53 PM   #13694
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, 2020 Exec demo off the lot. Has about 1300 miles on it. Custom order wouldn’t arrive probably until next summer according to our SA.
THIS I'd likely have a Cayenne now if this weren't the case ... though with Porsche it's much harder to gauge the supply chain, overall and for your specific vehicle, as the rumor mill is 1/10 of what it is for BMW. Add in the rumors of cars showing up with wires sticking out of the dash, seats & steering wheels that have to be dealer adjusted, etc and you're kinda nuts to order Porsche for delivery if it's going to be a primary vehicle.

Say what you will about BMW's "decontenting" (or latest design direction), but they've more/less kept their factories churning through these supply chain problems. I'd put them up there with Toyota (who you more/less CAN'T custom order from even normally)
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      11-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #13695
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
THIS I'd likely have a Cayenne now if this weren't the case ... though with Porsche it's much harder to gauge the supply chain, overall and for your specific vehicle, as the rumor mill is 1/10 of what it is for BMW. Add in the rumors of cars showing up with wires sticking out of the dash, seats & steering wheels that have to be dealer adjusted, etc and you're kinda nuts to order Porsche for delivery if it's going to be a primary vehicle.

Say what you will about BMW's "decontenting" (or latest design direction), but they've more/less kept their factories churning through these supply chain problems. I'd put them up there with Toyota (who you more/less CAN'T custom order from even normally)
This will probably save us quite a few thousand bucks to from a custom order. If I ordered, I’d add PDCC, Sport Chrono and the Burmester system. Maybe a few other things. Basically a bunch of shit my wife could care less about. The main thing she cares about is it is a really nice interior with comfy seats (14 way heated/ventilated) and it’s got AWD with snow tires on it. She does like the air ride option where you can lower the back end if you want. Doubt she’ll use it much but it’s there. The S is plenty quick to, the base is kind of a dog so I made sure it was at least an S. The kid loves that the rear has her own climate control plus the reclining heated/ventilated seat and the pano roof. So it seems we all got something out of it.
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18116.50
No Boost4021.00
irunalot1518.00
      11-27-2021, 11:32 PM   #13696
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like it will be happening. They are giving us 70k for the C63S, paid 78k 15 months ago and throwing in a couple of services. About as good as I could do in this market and this is the most excited I've ever seen my wife about a vehicle. She loves the thing.

What are you getting?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 01:28 AM   #13697
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
PSA BMW gimmicks that are fucking awesome:

(1.) Gesture Control

I use it as my primary UI to the stereo & nav. It kicks ass. What can I say? I'm handsy.

(2.) Programmable Climate Control
Like you can set it so it auto turns on seat venting above 60F and turns on seat heating <60F. And "pre conditioning", etc. I get in the car and the seat vent, temp, massage, etc ... everything is already running. Kick ass.

(3.) Location dependent programming
So you can set it to, say, roll down your window at a certain GPS point. Wait, what? Why?? Well if you're like me and do a lot of parking ramp entry/exit, it's cool to have your driver's window go down every time you pull up to a ramp entry - just one less thing to do which sounds stupid, but is actually a cool luxe feature.

Honorable mentions:

* Remote 3D view on your phone - just plain cool and useful for parking ramps
* Speech recognition - i NEVER use this shit, but in the car it's v cool to dictate SMS
* Digital key - high security, good replacement for hackable fobs
* Keyless entry that works on simple approach / departure - very cool, but security risk
* Spotify integration - I'm a tidal guy, but my wife likes it
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24976.00
swagon13505.00
minn1914012.00
      11-28-2021, 02:37 AM   #13698
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Looks like it will be happening. They are giving us 70k for the C63S, paid 78k 15 months ago and throwing in a couple of services. About as good as I could do in this market and this is the most excited I've ever seen my wife about a vehicle. She loves the thing.

What are you getting?
Cayenne S looks like he mentioned it a few pages back
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24976.00
minn1914012.00
      11-28-2021, 03:30 AM   #13699
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
This will probably save us quite a few thousand bucks to from a custom order. If I ordered, I’d add PDCC, Sport Chrono and the Burmester system. Maybe a few other things. Basically a bunch of shit my wife could care less about. The main thing she cares about is it is a really nice interior with comfy seats (14 way heated/ventilated) and it’s got AWD with snow tires on it. She does like the air ride option where you can lower the back end if you want. Doubt she’ll use it much but it’s there. The S is plenty quick to, the base is kind of a dog so I made sure it was at least an S. The kid loves that the rear has her own climate control plus the reclining heated/ventilated seat and the pano roof. So it seems we all got something out of it.
You should be able to get allocation but it would heavily depend on what trim you get.

Last time I checked, Porsche is directing more of their chips into SUVs because... well duh $$. A few weeks ago, I was at DTLA Porsche and their garage was literally packed full of Macans and Cayennes. Obviously far fewer 911, Cayman and Boxster. It was during that week when they got more deliveries and it was mainly the SUVs that were there. Funny enough, among all of them I saw like... 1 or 2 SUV in Red because... well its Red.

I would at least ask, and see if my prediction is correct. Regardless of how people see Porsche from an enthusiast standpoint, they still need to make the mainstream SUVs as that is most of Porsche's actual earnings. I would personally think, Macan, Macan S, Cayenne and Cayenne S wouldn't be too hard to get. The higher trims like GTS (Macan, Cayenne and Cayenne Coupe) would be way more difficult I think.

That is, admittingly an educated guess. I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche prioritize the Macans first though.
minn1914012.00
      11-28-2021, 03:58 AM   #13700
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post

I would personally think, Macan, Macan S, Cayenne and Cayenne S wouldn't be too hard to get. The higher trims like GTS (Macan, Cayenne and Cayenne Coupe) would be way more difficult I think.

That is, admittingly an educated guess. I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche prioritize the Macans first though.
You're probably right - back in August when i was calling around all over the country, the Cayenne S and up was fairly non-existent and that includes with an intro from Nick Murray to his dealership ... had I waited I likely could've gotten an MSRP+ allocation, but just wasn't willing to pay MSRP or more for it, and there was no guarantee on timeline (which I also wasn't willing to deal with).

It probably comes down to how greedy the dealers are these days ...
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      11-28-2021, 08:08 AM   #13701
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
...it’s got AWD with snow tires on it. .
Done and done. Winter weather vehicle capabilities are maxed out with this beast. You can rest easy I have fond memories of my '04 WRX fitted with Blizzaks, bitch could go anywhere. You have even more ground clearance though.
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      11-28-2021, 08:19 AM   #13702
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List

Appreciate 1
stein_325i25073.50
      11-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #13703
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

Just back from oversteering my way to Starbucks in the merc. Can't imagine why you don't want to take that up to Warroad mid-winter.

Appreciate 3
minn1914012.00
stein_325i25073.50
GrussGott18116.50
      11-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #13704
Flashm4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 dct, bmw m4 6sp

Its definitely a weird exterior upgrade they did on the new bmws , sometimes I wonder who designs them lol
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #13705
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
What are you getting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
You should be able to get allocation but it would heavily depend on what trim you get.

Last time I checked, Porsche is directing more of their chips into SUVs because... well duh $$. A few weeks ago, I was at DTLA Porsche and their garage was literally packed full of Macans and Cayennes. Obviously far fewer 911, Cayman and Boxster. It was during that week when they got more deliveries and it was mainly the SUVs that were there. Funny enough, among all of them I saw like... 1 or 2 SUV in Red because... well its Red.

I would at least ask, and see if my prediction is correct. Regardless of how people see Porsche from an enthusiast standpoint, they still need to make the mainstream SUVs as that is most of Porsche's actual earnings. I would personally think, Macan, Macan S, Cayenne and Cayenne S wouldn't be too hard to get. The higher trims like GTS (Macan, Cayenne and Cayenne Coupe) would be way more difficult I think.

Quote:
You're probably right - back in August when i was calling around all over the country, the Cayenne S and up was fairly non-existent and that includes with an intro from Nick Murray to his dealership ... had I waited I likely could've gotten an MSRP+ allocation, but just wasn't willing to pay MSRP or more for it, and there was no guarantee on timeline (which I also wasn't willing to deal with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
Done and done. Winter weather vehicle capabilities are maxed out with this beast. You can rest easy I have fond memories of my '04 WRX fitted with Blizzaks, bitch could go anywhere. You have even more ground clearance though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Just back from oversteering my way to Starbucks in the merc. Can't imagine why you don't want to take that up to Warroad mid-winter.
Here it is if curious, we are picking it up on Tuesday.

https://minneapolis.porschedealer.co...ab2ay0lda28827

Wife wants an SUV for other things as well but she definitely got tired of driving the F-150 if it was even a little slick out. She (and I) aren’t fans of parking that thing at Target or elsewhere all the time as it is a bit of a beast in tighter parking lots. Also (probably obvious) SUVs are definitely a bit more convenient for running a bunch of errands/picking stuff up in than a full size supercrew pickup. If I gotta have/drive one this isn’t bad obviously. I’m going to seriously miss the C63S though, it is a very fun/comfortable DD. I won’t miss driving it home in a blizzard like I did last year a couple of times. That got a little white knuckle at times but doable.

GrussGott, we were headed to Motorwerks next to check out an X5. But after she drove the Cayenne she didn’t want to anymore. We both are still a bit bitter how things ended with our longtime dealer (BMW of Minnetonka) and BMWNA over the whole M4 CS MPHAS thing. With their current advertising etc it feels like they really don’t care about long term customers at the dealership or corporate level. So I guess we’ll go this route and see how it goes.

Audi Q7 was another one we were going to look at seriously as well.
Appreciate 8
stein_325i25073.50
Sedan_Clan24976.00
CT_M31478.00
icegrill2078.00
swagon13505.00
GrussGott18116.50
FormulaMMM3662.50
Arcades8162.00
      11-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #13706
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
What are you getting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Here it is if curious, we are picking it up on Tuesday.

https://minneapolis.porschedealer.co...ab2ay0lda28827

Wife wants an SUV for other things as well but she definitely got tired of driving the F-150 if it was even a little slick out. She (and I) aren't fans of parking that thing at Target or elsewhere all the time as it is a bit of a beast in tighter parking lots. Also (probably obvious) SUVs are definitely a bit more convenient for running a bunch of errands/picking stuff up in than a full size supercrew pickup. If I gotta have/drive one this isn't bad obviously. I'm going to seriously miss the C63S though, it is a very fun/comfortable DD. I won't miss driving it home in a blizzard like I did last year a couple of times. That got a little white knuckle at times but doable.

GrussGott, we were headed to Motorwerks next to check out an X5. But after she drove the Cayenne she didn't want to anymore. We both are still a bit bitter how things ended with our longtime dealer (BMW of Minnetonka) and BMWNA over the whole M4 CS MPHAS thing. With their current advertising etc it feels like they really don't care about long term customers at the dealership or corporate level. So I guess we'll go this route and see how it goes.

Audi Q7 was another one we were going to look at seriously as well.
That's a really clean Cayenne.
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00