ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
Flower8
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

KW V3 suspension issue

Hello guys,

A question to. those, who installed kw v3 or clubsport suspension. After installation, I started to notice that in traffic, when you stop and go, there is a some kind of wobble in the suspension right after the moment of full stop. It sways back and forward two-three times like an SUV and feels like a jelly for a second.

I was riding almost stock height and went to the workshop, where I installed this suspension, after several attempts with rebound and compression settings, they set everything to. stock settings and just lowered the car 0,5 mm and this wobble was 70% gone. Now I have to go even lower, but that would be too low. KW said that this can be also because of silent blocks of my car. But my workshop doesn't now what to do with this, because visually silentblocks are OK.

Did anyone get this issue with kw or maybe other coilovers?

My car is 2016 M4 non-comp, 35000 km
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:44 AM   #2
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower8 View Post
Hello guys,

A question to. those, who installed kw v3 or clubsport suspension. After installation, I started to notice that in traffic, when you stop and go, there is a some kind of wobble in the suspension right after the moment of full stop. It sways back and forward two-three times like an SUV and feels like a jelly for a second.

I was riding almost stock height and went to the workshop, where I installed this suspension, after several attempts with rebound and compression settings, they set everything to. stock settings and just lowered the car 0,5 mm and this wobble was 70% gone. Now I have to go even lower, but that would be too low. KW said that this can be also because of silent blocks of my car. But my workshop doesn't now what to do with this, because visually silentblocks are OK.

You choosed the stock setting of your M with a coilover kit? Bad idea. The aftermarket suspensions doesn't will work in this height. You should always dial the height in the technical manual of your installed Ohlins, Bilstein, KW coilover suspension kit...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower8 View Post
Hello guys,

Check the large rubber bushing in the front lower tension strut arm (number 9 in the diagram below)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_1123

The large bushing is on the inner side towards the chassis, if that bushing is torn it can cause the symptom you're describing. If you had no issue before, it's possible your shop torqued this arm tight when the vehicle was lifted in the air and then the bushing twisted and tore when they put the car back down on the ground. Normally you would not remove this arm during coilover installation (you would disconnect it at the other end where #15 is shown) but I've seen people make this mistake and cause a problem like this.
Appreciate 0