EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-09-2019, 12:22 AM   #1
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

F80 M3 GridLife StreetMod Build

Hi my name is Alex and I race TT with GridLife. I've spent most of the season in a StreetMod 2016 Subaru WRX STI and have done events at Mid-Ohio and Summit Point Shenandoah this year. The Subaru has decided to begin the Subaru process so I traded it on a 2015 M3 DCT before things got bad...

I'm super stoked and absolutely in love with the M3, I had an E46 a few years ago, and it brings back all the feels from that car plus torque! Unfortunately the budget isn't quite there yet with the new purchase but I'd like to finish out the season in StreetMod and see where I end up going into the finale. So just looking for some basic budget minded stuff to hopefully keep me on the podium!

Tires/Wheels
StreetMod is limited to 200TW and 285 width for RWD cars. It seems like the 19x10 square setup with a 275 is pretty popular but how tough would it be to get the 285's to squeeze onto the 10? Tire sizes very by manufacturer and it looks like the 275/35/19 Hankook is about the size of the 285/35/19 Bridgestone. Guessing that 19x10 setup gives you a little bit of wiggle room especially at the heights I'd have the car?

Suspension
Is limited to two adjustments but budget is going to be keeping me away from a coilover setup for this year.

How terrible are the stock springs on track? Full honesty, I'm probably just going to go with camber plates and a front sway bar... Is there a set of lowering springs that works better than the factory stuff?

Brakes
I'm liking the DSUNO option for Brake pads... I tend to be quite abusive on brakes. Stock rotors work ok with these?

Motor
The car allegedly has a Dinan Stage2 Piggyback but the exhaust and intake system looks stock? I think I saw there might be an app for it? Is this going to make it over heat? I don't typically do more than 2 or 3 hotlaps before I cool things down for a bit. The Subaru had issues with this lol.

Aero
I have an APR GTC300 wing sitting in my basement from the Subaru that looks like it might fit but I'd hate to drill holes in that trunk already haha... How is stability cornering at over 100+mph in the car?

I have a track day event coming up next week that I'm hoping to use to shake the car down with some autox thrown in this weekend but would love as much feedback as possible from people familiar with this platform.

Sometimes, it's cool to put a face to a name... I'm the fanboi all decked out in Subaru gear lol and that's my Subaru on the thumbnail #RIP.

Last edited by F80Speed77; 08-09-2019 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3946.50
      08-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Continental02
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Hi my name is Alex and I race TT with GridLife. I've spent most of the season in a StreetMod 2016 Subaru WRX STI and have done events at Mid-Ohio and Summit Point Shenandoah this year. The Subaru has decided to begin the Subaru process so I traded it on a 2015 M3 DCT before things got bad...

I'm super stoked and absolutely in love with the M3, I had an E46 a few years ago, and it brings back all the feels from that car plus torque! Unfortunately the budget isn't quite there yet with the new purchase but I'd like to finish out the season in StreetMod and see where I end up going into the finale. So just looking for some basic budget minded stuff to hopefully keep me on the podium!

Tires/Wheels
StreetMod is limited to 200TW and 285 width for RWD cars. It seems like the 19x10 square setup with a 275 is pretty popular but how tough would it be to get the 285's to squeeze onto the 10? Tire sizes very by manufacturer and it looks like the 275/35/19 Hankook is about the size of the 285/35/19 Bridgestone. Guessing that 19x10 setup gives you a little bit of wiggle room especially at the heights I'd have the car?

Suspension
Is limited to two adjustments but budget is going to be keeping me away from a coilover setup for this year.

How terrible are the stock springs on track? Full honesty, I'm probably just going to go with camber plates and a front sway bar... Is there a set of lowering springs that works better than the factory stuff?

Brakes
I'm liking the DSUNO option for Brake pads... I tend to be quite abusive on brakes. Stock rotors work ok with these?

Motor
The car allegedly has a Dinan Stage2 Piggyback but the exhaust and intake system looks stock? I think I saw there might be an app for it? Is this going to make it over heat? I don't typically do more than 2 or 3 hotlaps before I cool things down for a bit. The Subaru had issues with this lol.

Aero
I have an APR GTC300 wing sitting in my basement from the Subaru that looks like it might fit but I'd hate to drill holes in that trunk already haha... How is stability cornering at over 100+mph in the car?

I have a track day event coming up next week that I'm hoping to use to shake the car down with some autox thrown in this weekend but would love as much feedback as possible from people familiar with this platform.

Sometimes, it's cool to put a face to a name... I'm the fanboi all decked out in Subaru gear lol and that's my Subaru on the thumbnail #RIP.

200TW tire you are going to want the DS1.11 over the DSuno. The DSuno is much better suited for full slick tires, even if you are admittingly hard on your brakes. The DS1.11 will also be kinder to your stock rotors as well.

The suspension is where I would sink my money first. The stock suspension is ok, but if you are really leaning on the car and pushing hard you will be unhappy with stock suspension or stock with lowering springs. Pick up a used set of coilovers with camber plates included and go that route instead. It will be your biggest limiting factor towards good times as the car just isn't flat in the corners from the factory.

Don't worry about cooling at all, even with a tune. These cars are overengineered in the cooling department. I really beat the hell out of my car and only experienced issues in 100+ degree weather with high humidity on the long COTA straights. Everywhere else it was fine and I was running a more aggressive tune than the Dinan one. Plenty of people running tunes without issues with cooling. Drive it for 20-30 minutes straight without giving it a break and the car will happily perform, no need to stop after 2-3 laps.

The car is super stable at high-speed cornering with good coilover setup. I can't speak to aero as I never ran aero on my car, but I can't see doing aero with stock suspension. I'd sell the wing and grab some coils with the cash.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 11:33 PM   #3
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep

Day 5 of ownership... Got the car out to an autocross for a little shake down... Power is substantial with that Dinan tune and Sport+!!! Continental ExtremeContactSports weren't hateful and I had a really fun time trying to re-learn RWD stuff.

Also got a session in on PittRace Full Course thanks to HookedOnDriving running a special Sunday deal. The car definitely felt a little more at home out here. Unfortunately didn't get to push too hard, started getting some fluid fade so just cruised around at like a 8/10 tenths pace after the first few laps. Definitely need to get that braking situation sorted before I head back out there. Going to start with removing the brake ducts and swapping in some better fluid. Who knows what's in there? The pads actually started to squeal a little so I think they might be ok.

Definitely agree on the stability front, I didn't go full send through our notorious kink but did hit around 110 or so through it and it felt pretty planted. Looking forward to developing this car, it's such a monster!

Appreciate 2
Pic18303.50
Kilabyte3946.50
      08-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #4
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Very cool, i happened to just watch your GL video a few weeks ago. Good luck running the new platform. Not to get too off track from your build thread, but what led you to the F80 rather than something like a Camaro 1LE?

The suspension is a weak point on all these cars up until the ZCP and CS, even w/camber plates, probably giving up a few seconds with the stock dampers either way. Having said that you can have a ton of fun just minimal mods, but I don't know how competitive it would be at GL.

The kink@Pitt is good for 120+ mph in this car.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector

Last edited by OhioRiderAaron; 08-12-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
trackymbf82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, Bootmod3 on E85

I've not ran the dinan tune but several on here have had issues with limp mode, I'd search the forums. I'd spend money on a good flash tune, there are several great options.

I think the stock suspension is pretty capable. I was happy with just camber plates. I'd add adjustable rear links to your list. Tires add up.

I haven't upgraded my front sway bar, the stock is also pretty capable.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep

The wife really wanted my next car to be something she could drive but she has zero interest in learning stick haha so kind of took a lot of fun cars off the list aka the Camaro and PP2 Mustang which is great. Those cars also don't have the utility of the F80.

I think the M3 is going to be super competitive in StreetMod with just a little bit of work. I dont see it being slower than my STI which was flirting with 1:55's at PittRace and 1:33's at MidOhio.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackymbf82 View Post
I've not ran the dinan tune but several on here have had issues with limp mode, I'd search the forums. I'd spend money on a good flash tune, there are several great options.

I think the stock suspension is pretty capable. I was happy with just camber plates. I'd add adjustable rear links to your list. Tires add up.

I haven't upgraded my front sway bar, the stock is also pretty capable.
Hmm interesting on the tune front I'll have to do a little more research on that. I read the car cools itself better in Sport+ so I left it there. I was only on track for 15min or so anyway.

Suspension felt pretty good in Sport+, maybe just a tad floaty still but the front of the car was holding really well I thought. Exit oversteer was really manageable with the staggered setup. I'm wondering if a square setup with more camber might loosen it up just a little more and that bigger sway bar might help some? I'll definitely try it without first, for science! Nice call on the rear toe arms too, I'll check those out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The wife really wanted my next car to be something she could drive but she has zero interest in learning stick haha so kind of took a lot of fun cars off the list aka the Camaro and PP2 Mustang which is great. Those cars also don't have the utility of the F80.

I think the M3 is going to be super competitive in StreetMod with just a little bit of work. I dont see it being slower than my STI which was flirting with 1:55's at PittRace and 1:33's at MidOhio.
Sorry I don't really know much about GL classifications, you're probably right! And those are some really good lap-times at both tracks, please share your results with the F80 moving forward.

Last edited by OhioRiderAaron; 08-12-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Congrats on the new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys! Been working some racecar things out with the wife and I'm officially calling it quits on the GridLife season for this year. We have kid #2 due in a few weeks and with it being crunch time it's just not really the best thing for the fam right now haha. Timing is everything in life...

I'll be back at it in the spring though but at least I don't have to rush getting it ready now.

After the brief test session I had I think I'm going to focus on addressing the following for next season.

1. Brakes - definitely need to find a solid two piece rotor with an aluminum hat to help keep temps down for the front. This thing builds some serious speed on straights! I hope it's just the pads that are on the car but the initial bite they had wasn't great.

2. Suspension - I think I'll be able to get by with just camber plates, are the Ground Control the way to go? I'll want at least -3.0deg out of it. Maybe toy with a front bar if the balance gets out of whack going to square setup.

3. Tire - definitely need to be able to fit as much tire as possible. Really want to do a 19x10.5 square setup with 285s... Need to look into that fitment some more.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #11
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Thanks guys! Been working some racecar things out with the wife and I'm officially calling it quits on the GridLife season for this year. We have kid #2 due in a few weeks and with it being crunch time it's just not really the best thing for the fam right now haha. Timing is everything in life...

I'll be back at it in the spring though but at least I don't have to rush getting it ready now.

After the brief test session I had I think I'm going to focus on addressing the following for next season.

1. Brakes - definitely need to find a solid two piece rotor with an aluminum hat to help keep temps down for the front. This thing builds some serious speed on straights! I hope it's just the pads that are on the car but the initial bite they had wasn't great.

2. Suspension - I think I'll be able to get by with just camber plates, are the Ground Control the way to go? I'll want at least -3.0deg out of it. Maybe toy with a front bar if the balance gets out of whack going to square setup.

3. Tire - definitely need to be able to fit as much tire as possible. Really want to do a 19x10.5 square setup with 285s... Need to look into that fitment some more.
Re suspension, GC is the way to go. I got -2.7 camber out of my plates and I was being conservative. -3 is manageable. Only thing you may want to consider are coilovers. I got a set of Bilstein b16 Damptronic coilovers which still had me retain the EDC function for DD purposes, but still allowed me to corner balance and align my car. Night and day. One day I’ll go with a more hardcore static coilovers, but for now it will do!

You also should look at this website made by Apex wheels: https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002284493-F8x-M3-M4-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide?mobile_site=true

It’s a wheel fitment guide that discuss all the fitment ranges, esp squared setups.

I also asked about 285 fitment in this post: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24672362&postcount=178

It can happen but you may need spacers and an aggressive front camber.

I would go with a dedicated 18 inch setup, esp since you do not have the CCBs.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #12
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental02 View Post
200TW tire you are going to want the DS1.11 over the DSuno. The DSuno is much better suited for full slick tires, even if you are admittingly hard on your brakes. The DS1.11 will also be kinder to your stock rotors as well.

The suspension is where I would sink my money first. The stock suspension is ok, but if you are really leaning on the car and pushing hard you will be unhappy with stock suspension or stock with lowering springs. Pick up a used set of coilovers with camber plates included and go that route instead. It will be your biggest limiting factor towards good times as the car just isn't flat in the corners from the factory.

Don't worry about cooling at all, even with a tune. These cars are overengineered in the cooling department. I really beat the hell out of my car and only experienced issues in 100+ degree weather with high humidity on the long COTA straights. Everywhere else it was fine and I was running a more aggressive tune than the Dinan one. Plenty of people running tunes without issues with cooling. Drive it for 20-30 minutes straight without giving it a break and the car will happily perform, no need to stop after 2-3 laps.

The car is super stable at high-speed cornering with good coilover setup. I can't speak to aero as I never ran aero on my car, but I can't see doing aero with stock suspension. I'd sell the wing and grab some coils with the cash.
OP, You should listen to this guy as according to the official track time thread, he has the fastest recorded laps on some tracks in CA with the F80!

1:51 at Buttonwillow in this car is SMOKING!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #13
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep

Loving all the feedback so far! The guys (and gals) I'll be chasing down in Street/Street Mod (Global Time Attack/Super Lap Battle/GridLife crossover class) are down in the 1:48's on 200TW there...

I'd actually love to make it down to COTA for Super Lap Battle in February 2020 but that's kind of long looking like a long shot at this point.

Thanks for posting those links, I have a bad habit of only listening to people in the track section of these forums haha. I've started to dip my toes into some of the other regions.

But to get back to the Tire Size thing. I know I'll be going BBK at some point so I want to stick with 19's and they just look way better on the car than 18's for some reason. I wouldn't mind getting another set of 437m's and using them in a square setup (save the fronts for square winter setup?) but I think I saw the rear offsets don't play nice with the front. I love the look of them though and was surprised to see how light they are!

Here is my list of 200TW Tire Options for 19x10" fitment (285 width max & 200TW min...) and there is a ton of variance in section width, tread width, and diameter.

Bridgestone RE71R 285/35R19 SW-11.4" TW-10.1" D-26.8"
Bridgestone RE71R 275/35R19 SW-10.9" TW-10" D-26.6"
Bridgestone RE71R 265/35R19 SW-10.7" TW-9.6" D-26.3"
Bridgestone RE71R 255/35R19 SW-10.2" TW-9.3" D-26"
Hankook RS4 275/35R19 SW-11.2" TW-10.3" D-26.4"
Nexen SUR4G 275/35R19 SW-10.9" TW-10.1" D-26.6"
BFG Rival S1.5 275/35R19 SW-??? TW-9.8" D-???
Dunlop Z3 275/35R19 SW-10.5" TW-9.9" D-26.7"
Goodyear SC3 285/35R19 SW-??? TW-10.5" D-???
Goodyear SC3 265/35R19 SW-??? TW-9.7" D-???
Michelin SC2 275/35R19 SW - 11" TW-9.5" D-26.6"

So actual sizes can vary kind of significantly across brands, what may fit in one size might not fit in others. Sometimes section width is more important than tread width when it comes to rubbing on things too. So most likely I'll just be starting out on the 275 RE71R and using that as a baseline.

Also on suspension I keep seeing these coilover conversion kits for the stock EDC dampers. I like the Ground Control package that comes with the camber plates a lot but still pulling together info on how nicely those kits with stock suspension tuning. It looks like GC has some nice rear linkage upgrades too but I liked the SPL stuff I had on my STI so will probably stick with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Loving all the feedback so far! The guys (and gals) I'll be chasing down in Street/Street Mod (Global Time Attack/Super Lap Battle/GridLife crossover class) are down in the 1:48's on 200TW there...

I'd actually love to make it down to COTA for Super Lap Battle in February 2020 but that's kind of long looking like a long shot at this point.

Thanks for posting those links, I have a bad habit of only listening to people in the track section of these forums haha. I've started to dip my toes into some of the other regions.

But to get back to the Tire Size thing. I know I'll be going BBK at some point so I want to stick with 19's and they just look way better on the car than 18's for some reason. I wouldn't mind getting another set of 437m's and using them in a square setup (save the fronts for square winter setup?) but I think I saw the rear offsets don't play nice with the front. I love the look of them though and was surprised to see how light they are!

Here is my list of 200TW Tire Options for 19x10" fitment (285 width max & 200TW min...) and there is a ton of variance in section width, tread width, and diameter.

Bridgestone RE71R 285/35R19 SW-11.4" TW-10.1" D-26.8"
Bridgestone RE71R 275/35R19 SW-10.9" TW-10" D-26.6"
Bridgestone RE71R 265/35R19 SW-10.7" TW-9.6" D-26.3"
Bridgestone RE71R 255/35R19 SW-10.2" TW-9.3" D-26"
Hankook RS4 275/35R19 SW-11.2" TW-10.3" D-26.4"
Nexen SUR4G 275/35R19 SW-10.9" TW-10.1" D-26.6"
BFG Rival S1.5 275/35R19 SW-??? TW-9.8" D-???
Dunlop Z3 275/35R19 SW-10.5" TW-9.9" D-26.7"
Goodyear SC3 285/35R19 SW-??? TW-10.5" D-???
Goodyear SC3 265/35R19 SW-??? TW-9.7" D-???
Michelin SC2 275/35R19 SW - 11" TW-9.5" D-26.6"

So actual sizes can vary kind of significantly across brands, what may fit in one size might not fit in others. Sometimes section width is more important than tread width when it comes to rubbing on things too. So most likely I'll just be starting out on the 275 RE71R and using that as a baseline.

Also on suspension I keep seeing these coilover conversion kits for the stock EDC dampers. I like the Ground Control package that comes with the camber plates a lot but still pulling together info on how nicely those kits with stock suspension tuning. It looks like GC has some nice rear linkage upgrades too but I liked the SPL stuff I had on my STI so will probably stick with them.
RE-71R for lap times out of that group. Just ran 19" 275/305 RS4 for the first time. Perception is level with star spec Cup 2, maybe even a touch slower. Definitely far more durable though, which is what I needed.

Lot of GM guys like the Supercar 3R. No experience with those. You'd be taking kind of a flyer on F80 platform. Not the case with RE-71R, tried and proven quick.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 01:58 AM   #15
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep

I have a buddy who works at Goodyear and helped work on the Supercar3R, they are a very fast tire!!! I would not hesitant to run them if I wasn't restricted by a 200TW rating (Maybe I should bump to TrackMod???)

Finally got a chance to play with the car in the garage a little bit this weekend. Found out the brake pads currently on the car are something from Textar? Fronts look to be at about <50% life and decided they need replaced with DS2500's + SRF... I'll look into more aggressive options in the spring (DS1.11) and just wanted to get a baseline feel for where the car is... aka is it faster than the STI.

Dinan apparently fixed their app and I was able to get it connected and verify that it is the Stage 2 tuner. I switched to Stage 1 for today and for some reason I like it better? Torque delivery is more linear or something.

Also decided to pick up the Turner rear diffuser (spoke to my inner ricer)

And might get TC Kline camber plates before then but I'm still trying to figure out if I should pick up one of the HAS options or just commit to coilovers in the spring.

Heading to PittRace on September 11th to do a little end of season testing, hoping for good weather.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #16
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep

Just finished up RD1 of the 2020 GridLife Season at Gingerman Raceway!

Decided to run the car in StreetGT rather than StreetMod during the offseason, thank god because StreetMod is insanely fast now, the new StreetMod track record is a 1:33.095!!!

As far as setup changes going into the season. I'm now on the Ground Control Coilover kit running a 450lb/ft front spring with the stock 575lb rear spring which makes for a very forgiving setup and still lets you steer out of a corner with the go pedal. I could induce entry oversteer with trail braking using the DS1.11F and DS2500 rear combo. I'm wondering if DS1.11 rears might help get a little more entry oversteer. The brakes felt incredible all weekend and the car had no overheating issues which was a nice change of pace from the Subaru! Also on a 285/35/19 square tire setup on 19x10 wheels with -4.0 of front camber and the tire showed excellent wear characteristics, I'll be posting about our pyro data soon.

Ended up in 4th Place behind some really solid competition, it's going to be a fun year, and barely broke the <1:40 barrier with a 1:39.8 but got a good feel for the car and the track by the end of it. Had some sloppy driving in the best session conditions on Sunday morning blow faster times for me and would have like to been further into the 1:39's but still had a blast at a super technical track that I have a new respect for. Looking forward to putting an AIM SOLO2 DL in the car for the next round at Autobahn, which should be a big help on the consistency front. Other good news was I had more mph (130mph) down the backstretch than the C7 in 2nd place so power should never be an issue lol.

I had professional racecar driver Tom O'Gorman hop in a for few laps and he ran a 1:38.3 after just 3 laps and said he could get 37's with another session... Need to figure out how to be 90% Tom the rest of the season and I should be back on the podium!

2020 StreetGT Gingerman Raceway Final Results
1. Coby Shield - 1:37.313 Camaro SS 1LE
2. Dan Ireland - 1:38.951 C7 Grand Sport
3. Chris Bickford - 1:39.317 C7 Grand Sport
4. Alex Artayet - 1:39.837 F80 M3
5. Sam Strano - 1:40.756 Camaro SS 1LE
6. Nick Phillips - 1:42.147 C5 Z06
7. Alex Pietz - 1:42.989 C8
8. Grant Mullet - 1:43.735 C6 Z06
9. JR Reilly - 1:46.207 M3

Last edited by F80Speed77; 06-09-2020 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 4
Gomeler500.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
Kilabyte3946.50
gum201250.50
      06-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #17
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Very nice. Sample-size of one, but with those lap-times and the pro driver's time, your car looks to be very competitive for podium. Do you still have some performance mods like aero/suspension tuning available with your class?

With -4.0 front camber and 200tw tires, were you seeing even temperatures across the tire? Be curious to see what data you collected.

I'll be installing an AIM SOLO2 DL as well, a proper datalogger and predictive timer really helps me maximize improvements when I've got limited track-time at a new track.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #18
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Ended up in 4th Place behind some really solid competition, it's going to be a fun year, and barely broke the <1:40 barrier with a 1:39.8 but got a good feel for the car and the track by the end of it. Had some sloppy driving in the best session conditions on Sunday morning blow faster times for me and would have like to been further into the 1:39's but still had a blast at a super technical track that I have a new respect for. Looking forward to putting an AIM SOLO2 DL in the car for the next round at Autobahn, which should be a big help on the consistency front. Other good news was I had more mph (130mph) down the backstretch than the C7 in 2nd place so power should never be an issue lol.

I had professional racecar driver Tom O'Gorman hop in a for few laps and he ran a 1:38.3 after just 3 laps and said he could get 37's with another session... Need to figure out how to be 90% Tom the rest of the season and I should be back on the podium!

2020 StreetGT Gingerman Raceway Final Results
1. Coby Shield - 1:37.313 Camaro SS 1LE
2. Dan Ireland - 1:38.951 C7 Grand Sport
3. Chris Bickford - 1:39.317 C7 Grand Sport
4. Alex Artayet - 1:39.837 F80 M3
5. Sam Strano - 1:40.756 Camaro SS 1LE
6. Nick Phillips - 1:42.147 C5 Z06
7. Alex Pietz - 1:42.989 C8
8. Grant Mullet - 1:43.735 C6 Z06
9. JR Reilly - 1:46.207 M3
Gingerman is the home track! Anything sub-1:40 is awesome, dude... truly well done. That is indeed the "barrier" at Gingerman and it's no joke. I've always wondered what an F80 with some track mods could do. My best with a similarly street/track modded E90 (brakes, tires, exhaust + tune, suspension) was a 1:41.1.

Really good, cool conditions last weekend, yeah? It's a 1-2 second delta morning to afternoon in the summertime, so yep, Sunday a.m. probably would have been your best shot at cutting some tenths.

130 on the back straight is hauling the mail, right there with my GTS in hotter conditions. Dinan tune was definitely doing its thing.

And yes, skills developed at Gingerman translate everywhere. Still love it 10+ years later. It's where I learned and I have yet to experience a better track for both starters and advanced to sharpen skillset. It's worth the trip for anyone in the midwest.

In other news looking at the leaderboard, people round these parts need to start takin' me more seriously with my 'Maro SS 1LE talk. 1:37.3 with street mods is stupid.

Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      06-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #19
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

I bought and used AIM SOLO2 twice, holy crap that things feels like a 1990's throwback piece of tech. I know it's a proper datalogger but man someone needs to come out with a modernized one.

How much camber are you running in the rear? I like the high front camber, probably has crazy good turn-in.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Congrats on 4th OP.

Not sure you can get throttle and brake position from obdII on f8x platform but maybe that doesn’t matter to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #21
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep

Still stuck with the factory rear camber of ~-1.9 which actually looked to be pretty spot on with our pyro data. The high front camber seemed to be working great too!

Gingerman is a bunch of very heavy right turns so thats why the left looks more even than the right. It's also a very nuanced track, super easy to drive fast and get those 1:40's but man you have to really be on it with the right lines to break below that, mid corner speeds and sustaining high G in the sweepers is so the key and yes it is not as flat as it looks in videos (still pretty flat though haha), it was a blast though and I'll be back maybe in the Fall for the Festival event.

We lucked out and had perfect weather all weekend and morning sessions were definitely the ones to get it done, which is usually the case most places you go. Tom set his flyers late in the afternoon though after the sun started to go down but he's a freak of nature. We need to start measuring track temps when we are capturing data.

As far as the SS 1LE Coby's car is highly developed and he has a few more events in it than I do in the F80, it was still his first time out at there and pretty damn impressive performance he had a 36 optimal!!! He has the ZL1 aero (including rear wing) on it too which is going to be big help with keeping the back planted in faster sections. We are allowed to use any "factory like" aero so I might be hosed on that front. I have CS like aero right now with the front bumper splitter, rear spoiler, and "CS diffuser"...

There is definitely more development work that can be done on the F80!

I'm hoping to get some 19x10.5 wheels to try a 295/30/19 GY Supercar3 square setup, it can definitely use more tire so maybe we'll have that ready by Mid Ohio in July. I think the +35 offset wheels might be the ticket for that with some bigger spacers in the front.

Still have the stock exhaust on the car, the weight is in the right spot over the rear but I think it's pretty heavy right?

I could go ethanol, high flo cats, more cooling and have way more power than everyone else but would rather work on the handling first and get the CrankHub fix before going that route.

Braking was phenomenal with the DS1.11/DS2500 pairing but I could also go to a BBK.

Suspension could definitely be better too with a dedicated passive track setup but it was nice cruising to the event in comfort mode lol.

Could also do all the fancier bushings/control arms too.

I definitely need more safety stuff too... FML...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #22
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Congrats on 4th OP.

Not sure you can get throttle and brake position from obdII on f8x platform but maybe that doesn’t matter to you.
Yeah it's a used SOLO2 DL from one of my teammates who's upgrading to an AIM MXS otherwise I'd probably just stick to the SOLO2. I know someone was able to get data from his M2 but he's using RaceCapture. I'll probably try to pick his brain.
Appreciate 0