Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #23
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I'll just point out that the M2 Competition receives nearly universal praise from the car mags, yet shares the same engine/drivetrain, exhaust note, electric steering, and weight (roughly) as the F series chassis, which seems to be the whipping boy of overly dramatic articles such as this one.

You have to ask yourself, why is that...
Yep, the M2C is smaller but still close to the same weight.

It's just "more driver friendly" and "reminds what BMW used to do" without going into specifics of what that actually is. Everyone who praises M2 or M2C barley goes into any specifics on why the car is loved other than we like it. Very few reviewers give real review on the reason, most just lemming each other on the reason.

M2's interior is also annoyingly outdated in comparison and people don't point that out nearly as much but oh no when it's the M3 or M4 it's suddenly a problem.
minn1914034.50
Sedan_Clan25091.00
      08-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #24
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Cammisa has been basically bitching bout the F8x since it was first released.
BMW hate brings in the clicks and views.

That being said, I felt Cammisa and cut-price Seth Rogen (sorry forgot his name) gave the M3 ZCP high praise when reviewing it against the Alfa Giulia Q.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
Germanauto9702.50
      08-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #25
gripenM
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 CS

Here's a review I enjoyed watching.

It's in Dutch but you can turn on English cc

Appreciate 2
CanAutM321116.50
zamboni1130.50
      08-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #26
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
This thread will inevitably end up being 6 pages long.
I'll take the over on that.

I have to say that he makes good points. Even if you don't agree with his presumption that the whole F8x platform is disappointing, the CS does suffer a bit from BMW's shit strategy of slicing the pie way too thin with its models and trim levels. And a lot of the ways they tried to make the CS 'special' (a) didn't make it that special and (b) came with a negative tradeoff.

But the bpost rebuttal to this is "meh it's still a great platform and I got it at such a great discount that there was no downside vs the M4 comp". Which is fair enough. So I guess it's possible for both viewpoints to be right
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      08-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #27
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Odd, exactly what I have been saying. They took out stuff that didn't matter and raised the price 50%. And yet, every time I say that, I'm labeled a hater and "douchebag" and I'm simply upset that I didn't get a CS...

I wonder... if BMW had left in all the goodies - including the awesome rear sunshade (seriously, it is a rattle trap that I wish I didn't have), would the car still perform the same? I bet it would - even with a sunroof

And what if... what if... the car was only $5K more than the comp edition? Seriously, that would have been a great end to the F80/F82 era. The specs are there - the car performs. And for a kick in price, it would be so worth it - but as I've said, to take out things like dual climate control and comfort access and raise the price that much... well that's just silly. I've said that over and over - it doesn't make me hate the M3/M4cs - it just makes me upset with BMW for doing what they did.

And the reviewers continue to agree with me. Hmmm, maybe I am the guy writing these....
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      08-09-2019, 11:10 PM   #28
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

What’s the real shame here is, we’re likely not to see that beautiful cf hood again. The rims I could live without but oh that hood!
      08-10-2019, 12:50 AM   #29
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
The other rebuttal is simply that the CS looks amazing - turns heads - and that matters. You gotta be attracted to your mate. Some cars no matter how they may drive are just plain ugly.

Add the CCBs for cherry on top.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:33 AM   #30
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrivederci View Post
Have you driven an M2 or M2 comp?
I have at M town event. Hammered on it too. Under powered and too small.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #31
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Melbourne red

As myself being a former owner of 15 m4, 16 m4, 18 m4 comp and now the CS, i guess i can directly compare

I really dont feel the differences in power between my 18 comp and CS That extra torque I have now in CS, i dont really utilize that in daily driving.

Its uncomfortable not having comfort access, i can definitely tell the interiority in sound quality in my cs than previous M4 with HK.

More than anything i do miss driving 6MT as all my previous M4s were dct

But i do still like my cs the most out of all the M4s I had because i know its special ( maybe not so much to other people including car and driver magazine) it has its distinctive features reminding you that its a semi track car every time you drive it

Im coming from owning several s2000s and i have s2000 CR which i stored away as its value has been increased significantly last 5 years so i dont really care about the comfort features to begin with in cars, so maybe this is why i am more tolerable in lack of comfort features in my CS
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #32
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I'll just point out that the M2 Competition receives nearly universal praise from the car mags, yet shares the same engine/drivetrain, exhaust note, electric steering, and weight (roughly) as the F series chassis, which seems to be the whipping boy of overly dramatic articles such as this one.

You have to ask yourself, why is that...

It's just "more driver friendly" and "reminds what BMW used to do" without going into specifics of what that actually is. Everyone who praises M2 or M2C barley goes into any specifics on why the car is loved other than we like it. Very few reviewers give real review on the reason, most just lemming each other on the reason.

M2's interior is also annoyingly outdated in comparison and people don't point that out nearly as much but oh no when it's the M3 or M4 it's suddenly a problem.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #33
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

The simple fact is that the F chassis was never good. They have masked and patched it some with changes to damping and tweaks to the stability control system.

But you drive a F chassis in anger and at 10/10th and it disappoints.

Even the GTS with coilovers aren't up to snuff when compared its competitors.

BMW needs to still away the chassis engineers from GM.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9702.50
doug_9992542.50
      08-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #34
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
The simple fact is that the F chassis was never good. They have masked and patched it some with changes to damping and tweaks to the stability control system.

That's preference, not the actual reason.

Hardly anyone has gone into specifics. F3x and F8x are built differently, everyone who has followed the F cars know this from the get go. People have either bitched that it is too soft (F3x) or it's too rough (F8x). The mass majority of owners don't track, nor do they care about the little details that so many have whined about or just BSed thinking they know about.

This is why car manufacturers don't build cars specifically for "car enthusiasts". Because everyone complains, whines, bitches about everything.
zamboni1130.50
      08-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #35
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'm the first to complain about how soft BMW has gotten but this article was total bull. He's essentially just complaining about the entire premise of the CS model. The lack of armrests and comfort access on a higher priced M4 model made him really butthurt, that's really what this is all about. Sure the F80/2 has felt more refined/isolating than the E90/2 and has number steering, but overall reviews of the ZCP and CS models have been very positive.

I suspect Cammisa takes joy in being an anti-BMW troll crusader for the press alongside Car & Driver. By blindly hating on BMW he gets more clicks.

Last edited by Germanauto; 08-10-2019 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Arcades8174.00
      08-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #36
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:

I'll admit I haven't driven the M4 ZCP, but the early iterations of the F82 I've driven left me a bit cold. The M2 is genuinely more involving to drive. From the size to most importantly, the steering calibration. The car is just so reminiscent of what BMW used to produce before the F-chassis. I don't know how else to describe it.

I agree the interior is very outdated, and the lack of any color options besides black with matte carbon trim sucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #37
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'm the first to complain about how soft BMW has gotten but this article was total bull. He's essentially just complaining about the entire premise of the CS model. The lack of armrests and comfort access on a higher priced M4 model made him really butthurt, that's really what this is all about. Sure the F80/2 has felt more refined/isolating than the E90/2 and number steering, but overall reviews of the ZCP and CS models have been very positive.

I suspect Cammisa takes joy in being an anti-BMW troll crusader for the press alongside Car & Driver. By blindly hating on BMW he gets more clicks.
I said the exact same thing on a private subforum here.

I never liked Cammisa. Not him the person but just the way he views cars and he just LOVES to pick on BMW lately, same with everyone from C&D. He nitpicks the hell out of BMW. Yet, when Porsche does this, they can get away with it because it's Porsche and they magically can. When Benz does something wrong, they generally get a pass too other than a few, "This car is too rough! It's a Benz!" (Aka from the former CLA45 and a few comments on the C63). Then they have the nerve to pick and choose how they review the Audi RS5 (B9) because they know (MotorTrend) The RS5 won't be good on track due to over steer/under steer so they review the RS5 in another way but wouldn't you know it they still pick the C63S regardless.

The only person reviewer I take any seriously is Chris Harris. As he doesn't slap all of his viewpoints (most of the time) due to track use of a car when he knows that isn't for it.

I don't mind the M2, don't get me wrong. The smaller size is way more appealing to me but it is still more or less a small F80. Probably because of the smaller size the car communicates better, so it feels better because of it. That I can get by driving.
Sedan_Clan25091.00
minn1914034.50
zamboni1130.50
      08-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #38
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

I think objective data doesn't support this claim. Call it numb, soft, etc., but it outperforms previous iterations, which is what matters. So if it was never any good, what does that say about the E46 and E9X??!?!
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      08-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #39
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:

I'll admit I haven't driven the M4 ZCP, but the early iterations of the F82 I've driven left me a bit cold. The M2 is genuinely more involving to drive. From the size to most importantly, the steering calibration. The car is just so reminiscent of what BMW used to produce before the F-chassis. I don't know how else to describe it.

I agree the interior is very outdated, and the lack of any color options besides black with matte carbon trim sucks.
People buy "M" cars for the interior?? Wasn't aware, thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #40
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I think objective data doesn't support this claim. Call it numb, soft, etc., but it outperforms previous iterations, which is what matters. So if it was never any good, what does that say about the E46 and E9X??!?!
That it’s underpowered without a S55.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #41
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
the Cup 2 is a track monster. It produces almost no grip until warm, it takes considerable skill to control at the limit, it really only works in summer, and it’s flat-out unusable in the rain
I really don’t agree with this part of the article.

Cup2 are perfectly fine as street tires, and in the rain (with appropriate tread). They are not “track monsters” like a Hoosier.

Agree with other comments regarding this author. I ignore his articles and blog posts.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:43 PM   #42
gripenM
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
And what if... what if... the car was only $5K more than the comp edition? Seriously, that would have been a great end to the F80/F82 era. The specs are there - the car performs. And for a kick in price, it would be so worth it - but as I've said, to take out things like dual climate control and comfort access and raise the price that much... well that's just silly. I've said that over and over - it doesn't make me hate the M3/M4cs - it just makes me upset with BMW for doing what they did.

And the reviewers continue to agree with me. Hmmm, maybe I am the guy writing these....

I actually really like the single zone climate control. It just works brilliantly without being complicated.
With the dual zone, i was first, adjusting the red/blue blender, then adjusting the temperature dials on both sides as i like to have them at the same temps.

with single zone, i simply adjust one dial for the temperature, result is the same

it makes me wonder why BMW bothers putting in the dual zone in the 3/4 series at all

as for the Comfort access, my assumption for its exclusion is that BMW expects owners of GTS/CS to have it as a 2nd car and leaving it parked for long periods can result in battery discharge. lack of CA means less source of battery consumption while it sits parked until the next drive.

lack of CA honestly never bothered me, it's more secure for one and less electronics to fail down the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:45 AM   #43
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

I give zero sh**s about these people that work for these outdated mags. The online/YouTube reviews and the opinions of the people here on this forum are far more valuable to me.

That said, my CS is more rare/special to me than other M3/4s, is the last of its generation, looks 1000000000xs better and my payment is less than most are paying for their ZCPs. That sounds like a win-win to me so Jason Cammisa can eat my nutz.
      08-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #44
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Nailed it
Appreciate 1
Tellmee135.00