Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #23
YMB_F80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Just placed my order!! A little christmas present to myself!

Instagram: YMB_F80
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #24
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorwu120 View Post
Just placed my order!! A little christmas present to myself!
Very nice. I had a dream that my BavSound Stage 1 came early. I checked my email this morning, they're not shipping til 12/22.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 02:10 AM   #25
YMB_F80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Very nice. I had a dream that my BavSound Stage 1 came early. I checked my email this morning, they're not shipping til 12/22.
ahh mine said 12/29 haha no worries though! Not even sure if I am going to hear my music cause my iPE exhaust is coming in around the same time.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #26
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ahh mine said 12/29 haha no worries though! Not even sure if I am going to hear my music cause my iPE exhaust is coming in around the same time.
I got the email confirmation today. It shipped.

I can't stand my OEM speakers. The notes and instruments sound are all wrong. It doesn't make me feel like I'm in the center. All reviews point to the fact that BavSound will put the listener in the center and you can hear every instrument/vocal clearly. I hope you'll get yours sooner than expected as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #27
YMB_F80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I got the email confirmation today. It shipped.

I can't stand my OEM speakers. The notes and instruments sound are all wrong. It doesn't make me feel like I'm in the center. All reviews point to the fact that BavSound will put the listener in the center and you can hear every instrument/vocal clearly. I hope you'll get yours sooner than expected as well.

Haha me too!! I listen to a lot of EDM and etc. And the stock system sucks compared to the system in my E90 335i.. Nice!! Hope I get mine soon too then! I'm kind of scared on doing the install on my own though haha so I may have a shop do it for me.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #28
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha me too!! I listen to a lot of EDM and etc. And the stock system sucks compared to the system in my E90 335i.. Nice!! Hope I get mine soon too then! I'm kind of scared on doing the install on my own though haha so I may have a shop do it for me.
The install should be straight forward. I don't trust any shop with my car, they might scratch my leather and panels. Just watch the instructional vid below, you should be fine. It should be a fund 2hr project. Try not to set your panels on the ground, use card board boxes so they don't scratch.

If you didn't get the toolkit, find the plastic wedges from Harbor Freight. They're cheap.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #29
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
It should be a fund 2hr project. ]
It took me about an hour per door and an hour for all the rest, so 5 total. I was being careful. If you have more experience taking the door panels off, it will be less. Also, my driveway is uncovered and narrow (city life yay!), so if you have a garage and a table, it will probably go somewhat faster.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #30
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
It took me about an hour per door and an hour for all the rest, so 5 total. I was being careful. If you have more experience taking the door panels off, it will be less. Also, my driveway is uncovered and narrow (city life yay!), so if you have a garage and a table, it will probably go somewhat faster.
Good tip on having the table. I'll have that next to the car. I don't have HK, so it should be quicker. =)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #31
YMB_F80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Good tip on having the table. I'll have that next to the car. I don't have HK, so it should be quicker. =)
Haha see I don't have patience for that.. maybe ill have a friend help me at the same time so it goes by quicker. But my shop does all of the work that has already been done on my car so I trust them. Guess we shall see.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #32
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
The door panel work will be the same . If you crush me by 2-3 hours I will feel manly shame.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #33
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I caved and ordered, the discount got me. Hope I can tell the difference from HK.
      12-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #34
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
The door panel work will be the same . If you crush me by 2-3 hours I will feel manly shame.
I may have an advantage over you. I worked at body shop that repaired EU and exotic cars in high school. I removed a lot of BMW door panels in the 2 years I worked there. That was 12yrs ago, that business wasn't for me. I'd rather sell software to hospitals for living.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #35
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
I caved and ordered, the discount got me. Hope I can tell the difference from HK.
Welcome to the BavSound club. Keto on this thread had HK speakers, he'll tell you it's night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #36
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

As do I, and it is well worth it. Even just looking at the speakers, you can tell the difference, but even more so listening to them
      12-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #37
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
+1 fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #38
IMMLaw
Esq.
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I get my car next week but is the HK really that bad? WTH Did I pay an extra $875 for then?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #39
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMLaw View Post
I get my car next week but is the HK really that bad? WTH Did I pay an extra $875 for then?
I don't know how to explain it. Some songs sounds awesome and others just don't (same sources). I've played with multiple EQ settings that I found on the forums and same deal.

I've had the standard Hi-Fi in my other BMWs, which were ok to mediocre. I was hoping for a much better experience with the HK system. The best way I can describe it is this is just louder mediocrity with a bit of surround sound thrown in.

Some people love it though. So who knows what you'll think.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #40
IMMLaw
Esq.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I don't know how to explain it. Some songs sounds awesome and others just don't (same sources). I've played with multiple EQ settings that I found on the forums and same deal.

I've had the standard Hi-Fi in my other BMWs, which were ok to mediocre. I was hoping for a much better experience with the HK system. The best way I can describe it is this is just louder mediocrity with a bit of surround sound thrown in.

Some people love it though. So who knows what you'll think.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed right now. I sprung the extra money for the HK because I've never had a proper audio system in a car before and was looking forward to the subwoofers and tons of speakers in the car. I'm a little upset.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #41
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed right now. I sprung the extra money for the HK because I've never had a proper audio system in a car before and was looking forward to the subwoofers and tons of speakers in the car. I'm a little upset.
I don't know how to say this so please don't take offense to this post. I've had a couple of nice aftermarket systems in previous cars. I didn't expect the HK system to live up to those, but I was still disappointed and looking for something better.

If you have never had a really nice stereo in a car before than the HK will probably be fine. You do see a lot of threads where people say they love it. Like everything else, I think it comes down to previous experience and expectations.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #42
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HK hasn't made any innovative/great speakers for a couple decades now. It's worth $875 for the HK systems, sounds way better than just Hi-FI. With HK, you get more speakers, better amp, and an EQ setting option compared to standard Hi-Fi.

When you replace your HK speakers with BavSound, you're taking it to another level. Sound would be clearer, you can hear every single instrument and the vocal tone is correct (all at flat EQ setting, don't mess with EQ with a good sound system). Other said it made them feel like they're in the center stage as a listener.

Honesty, HK in our cars can't even touch the Acura's ELS system. I rode in my buddy's last gen TL with the tech package, that system blows me away.

I just got my BavSound Stage 1 just nowl. Going to work on it now.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #43
IMMLaw
Esq.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I don't know how to say this so please don't take offense to this post. I've had a couple of nice aftermarket systems in previous cars. I didn't expect the HK system to live up to those, but I was still disappointed and looking for something better.

If you have never had a really nice stereo in a car before than the HK will probably be fine. You do see a lot of threads where people say they love it. Like everything else, I think it comes down to previous experience and expectations.
Thank you for your post. I completely understand what you mean and I definitely agree that it comes down to previous experience and expectations. I hope for my own sake (believe me, I'm not rich by any means and affording this car was a slight sacrifice) I won't be disappointed by it since I don't know any better lol (lack of experience).

I would love to hear your review of the Bavsound though.. can't wait until you get yours!

Quote:
HK hasn't made any innovative/great speakers for a couple decades now. It's worth $875 for the HK systems, sounds way better than just Hi-FI. With HK, you get more speakers, better amp, and an EQ setting option compared to standard Hi-Fi.

When you replace your HK speakers with BavSound, you're taking it to another level. Sound would be clearer, you can hear every single instrument and the vocal tone is correct (all at flat EQ setting, don't mess with EQ with a good sound system). Other said it made them feel like they're in the center stage as a listener.

Honesty, HK in our cars can't even touch the Acura's ELS system. I rode in my buddy's last gen TL with the tech package, that system blows me away.

I just got my BavSound Stage 1 just now. Going to work on it now.
Great post. Slightly makes me feel better as well lol. Are you going to install it yourself or have a shop do it? Please post up some videos if possible of the sound or a review on the system itself!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #44
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your post. I completely understand what you mean and I definitely agree that it comes down to previous experience and expectations. I hope for my own sake (believe me, I'm not rich by any means and affording this car was a slight sacrifice) I won't be disappointed by it since I don't know any better lol (lack of experience).

I would love to hear your review of the Bavsound though.. can't wait until you get yours!

Will do, it will be interesting to see what a few of us think about installing the same upgrade.

Rich or not, it still sucks to have to do stuff like this. Especially on a car that costs as much as these do. I really wish BMW had another up grade over the HK like they do for the 5 series and up.

Congrats on the car! Be careful how read in to what you read on these forums and try not let it affect the enjoyment of your car. While there is a ton of great info there is also a bunch of whiny bitches on the forums that love to complain about everything.

Great post. Slightly makes me feel better as well lol. Are you going to install it yourself or have a shop do it? Please post up some videos if possible of the sound or a review on the system itself!
Not to answer for JNoSol, but I plan to do it myself. I've done it on other cars not nearly as nice as these ones, but it looks pretty straight forward. I bought the install kit and the instructional videos look to be very helpful.
Appreciate 0