R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Car drifts slightly left on some roads

Hey all,

I did some searching, and I read about the electric steering of early versions pulling right, and I don't think that's the issue. Here are the stats:

1. 2018 with 8k miles. I bought with 5.5k miles.
2. On some roads, I feel like I have to semi-constantly apply pressure to the wheel to the right or correct frequently. It's subtle, and if I keep both hands on the wheel, I don't even really notice.
3. On other roads it doesn't seem to be an issue. I drive a lot of freeway miles, so I cover a lot of ground.
4. Tire wear seems even based on all tread depths.

Before I go and spend $300 (Bay Area), I wanted to see if this is normal. I feel like it might just be wide tires following a less than perfect road, but I can't tell.

Experience appreciated.

Thanks.

John
      11-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Only way to tell is to get your alignment checked. If you bought used there's no way of knowing what happened prior. $300 to check alignment or $1500 for a premature new set of tires? That being said my car doesn't pull any direction.
I agree with pheerlx on this , especially front and rear toe. Control arm bushings can also have this effect but your car seems not to have enough mileage for that. The good news is that control arm bushings are pretty easy to check.
OP's comment regarding wide tires might be worth looking into. I think if you're not well used these cars you could probably get a strong sense of tramlining, especially if tire pressures are a little low.
If OP is unfamiliar with tramlining, just Google the word and you'll see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:42 AM   #3
jdgamble
Captain
Rep

It's really subtle. I've had a car that pulled a lot, and this isn't the case. And then sometimes it's dead straight. I'll get it checked when I get my next oil change.

Any bad experiences with alignment from the group? Can they make it worse? I haven't had to do this in a long time.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
It's really subtle. I've had a car that pulled a lot, and this isn't the case. And then sometimes it's dead straight. I'll get it checked when I get my next oil change.

Any bad experiences with alignment from the group? Can they make it worse? I haven't had to do this in a long time.
I would do the alignment at a dealer. They tend to be a bit more expensive but just in case it is coupled with a warranty issue they will cover the alignment.

Had a an experience in the past taking it to reputable shop that had a new machine and came highly recommended. Didn't fix the issue. Went to another. Finally nearly $400 later said screw it and took it to the dealer. The dealer did an alignment as well (another $200) but it still pulled slightly, ended up pushing a software update and replacing one small part under warranty and it was fixed. Because that fixed it, the warranty covered the alignment cost at the dealer.

And my situation was like yours. Slight pull, not always and nowhere near as bad as cars that I have had which pulled in the past but definitely noticeable once and a while.

Moral of the story is trust the dealer on this one since it's relatively new and under warranty. Unless saving like $40 is an absolute must for you, then go to an independent shop.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
      11-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
halfempty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:

Five minutes of research on any car forum and you realize that these subtle steering issues are pretty common complaints. I myself am in the middle of figuring out an off-centered steering feel. "Normal" in steering feel unfortunately ends up being a very individual and subjective thing. How many technicians have driven our cars and said, "Feels ok to me." Even if it's "normal" to someone else, if it doesn't feel the way you want, then have it looked into. Step 1 is checking tires pressures and switching left/right. This may involve doing some work yourself and buying a few tools but it is a valuable exercise. Step 2 is a good alignment. I've had both good and bad luck at dealerships. In the end it all comes back to the person that is doing it. A careful and conscientious tech can be found anywhere, including the dealer. I've found only 1 or 2 shops (where I'm headed next week) in my area that I will go to for alignments. Check with the forum in your area for recommendations.

Step 3, 4, etc... I'll let you know when/if I get there.

One of the steps, unfortunately, is learning to live with it.

Good luck. Keep us posted. I search these topics a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:47 PM   #6
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
I agree that you should check the alignment, but many roads are crowned for water run off, and even a perfectly aligned car will fall off toward the downhill side of the crown, as others have stated.
      11-14-2018, 05:34 AM   #7
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

There is a road on my daily commute that has a slight curve to the left and if I am pushing it then lift off it feels like the back is trying to overtake the front. I just put it down to the fact the car has 20" wheels with 30 sidewalls and the fact that every bmw I have driven with big wheels/low profile tires has a tendency to tram line if the road surface is anything but perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #8
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclark View Post
There is a road on my daily commute that has a slight curve to the left and if I am pushing it then lift off it feels like the back is trying to overtake the front. I just put it down to the fact the car has 20" wheels with 30 sidewalls and the fact that every bmw I have driven with big wheels/low profile tires has a tendency to tram line if the road surface is anything but perfect.
That's our old friend trailing-throttle-oversteer. You lift, weight transfers to the front, back gets loose. Porsche drivers know all about this. Have some fun with your kid's Orthodontist (who probably has some sort of 911): tell him you heard that the reason Porsche puts the oil radiator in the front is so that it will end up farthest from the Armco.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Hey all,

I did some searching, and I read about the electric steering of early versions pulling right, and I don't think that's the issue. Here are the stats:

1. 2018 with 8k miles. I bought with 5.5k miles.
2. On some roads, I feel like I have to semi-constantly apply pressure to the wheel to the right or correct frequently. It's subtle, and if I keep both hands on the wheel, I don't even really notice.
3. On other roads it doesn't seem to be an issue. I drive a lot of freeway miles, so I cover a lot of ground.
4. Tire wear seems even based on all tread depths.

Before I go and spend $300 (Bay Area), I wanted to see if this is normal. I feel like it might just be wide tires following a less than perfect road, but I can't tell.

Experience appreciated.

Thanks.

John
I think this is in your head only, and the car is fine.
The only reason to doubt my diagnosis if you have the car for 3k miles (what 3 months?) and daily driving it, you should have get used to this kind of car. So maybe a dealer visit to check everything. Must be under warranty still...
      11-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:

What is your tire pressure? Make sure it is 32/33 psi cold. If it still drifts a little, your toe is probably off and it needs an alignment.
      11-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
I agree that you should check the alignment, but many roads are crowned for water run off, and even a perfectly aligned car will fall off toward the downhill side of the crown, as others have stated.
Except that his car is pulling to the left not the right (and he is in the US, not Australia or another country where they drive on the opposite side).

OP - it is perfectly normal - I noticed this on my drive home when I picked up the car. In fact, it might even be the EPS fighting the crown of the road and over compensating. Alas, as you have noted, it doesn't happen all the time, so I caution you to NOT have it looked at, because if they start dicking with your alignment that can be a slippery slope.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 06:03 AM   #12
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
That's our old friend trailing-throttle-oversteer. You lift, weight transfers to the front, back gets loose. Porsche drivers know all about this. Have some fun with your kid's Orthodontist (who probably has some sort of 911): tell him you heard that the reason Porsche puts the oil radiator in the front is so that it will end up farthest from the Armco.
I don't know what you're talking about.....
that was on very worn slicks though! They were all over the place after that.

on this slight curve I think its the camber of the road and the 20" as it never did it in my M5. But either way I haven't had it do it since!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #13
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

on this slight curve I think its the camber of the road and the 20" as it never did it in my M5. But either way I haven't had it do it since!
That's a pretty funny video right there. Guy downshifts and lifts going into a right-hander and his gearbox immediately passes him on the left. Then he adds a comment blaming his rubbish front tires for the event.
This reminds me of one of the funniest car comments I've ever read: it appeared as the first sentence in Part 2 of the MARCH 722 chassis manual, the part having to do with trackside chassis adjustments. It read as follows:
"It is assumed that the driver is able to distinguish between understeer and oversteer."
I've always assumed that Robin Herd wrote that, but I suppose it could've been Max.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's a pretty funny video right there. Guy downshifts and lifts going into a right-hander and his gearbox immediately passes him on the left. Then he adds a comment blaming his rubbish front tires for the event.
This reminds me of one of the funniest car comments I've ever read: it appeared as the first sentence in Part 2 of the MARCH 722 chassis manual, the part having to do with trackside chassis adjustments. It read as follows:
"It is assumed that the driver is able to distinguish between understeer and oversteer."
I've always assumed that Robin Herd wrote that, but I suppose it could've been Max.
Ummm that was me and it was a joke (although the tires were a really old set and we changed them after a few more laps as they were getting pretty sketchy), I was going far to fast into the corner.... you live and learn
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5385.50
      11-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #15
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ummm that was me and it was a joke (although the tires were a really old set and we changed them after a few more laps as they were getting pretty sketchy), I was going far to fast into the corner.... you live and learn
well, yes, I figured that was meant to be ironic, although obviously I would not have known it was you. certainly no offense was intended.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well, yes, I figured that was meant to be ironic, although obviously I would not have known it was you. certainly no offense was intended.
None taken
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5385.50
      11-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #17
halfempty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
OP - it is perfectly normal - I noticed this on my drive home when I picked up the car. In fact, it might even be the EPS fighting the crown of the road and over compensating. Alas, as you have noted, it doesn't happen all the time, so I caution you to NOT have it looked at, because if they start dicking with your alignment that can be a slippery slope.
I agree it is very possible that some degree of EPS programming is responsible for what the OP is feeling. I too have had a similar issue, though mine felt more severe to the point that any right turns, regardless of speed or steering mode, required more force than left turns. I had it aligned 3 weeks ago and it seemed better however the steering wheel was off-center. I centered it myself but still felt there was still room for improvement. (Yes... a very slippery slope indeed.) I had it re-aligned at a different shop this morning and the car is a lot better. The right/left steering resistance is essentially equal around turns, however the behavior that the OP describes is still present. After speaking with the technician for a while, I think it's likely that the EPS program is doing all sorts of overbearing adjustments in an attempt to maintain feel (or something simulating feel) and compensate for road crown.

Given that the car may not arrive from the factory in spec, I think that an alignment done at a reputable shop is a good investment. (I'm aware that having done 2 alignments in 3 weeks questions the credibility of this statement, but I still think it was worth it.) That way you know that what your left with is more likely to be the inherent behavior of the car.

shout out to Ryan and staff at RCT Performance in Westbury, NY for a great job
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #18
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Except that his car is pulling to the left not the right (and he is in the US, not Australia or another country where they drive on the opposite side).

My brand new CS will occasionally drift very very slightly to the right on highways at speed. I agree with the slippery slope comment. Not worth a teck going out driving my car dicking with my alignment,ent trying to get it perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 02:40 AM   #19
svr21
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M4 ZCP Yas Marina Blue

Holy sh**, exact same problem here. I have 2018 zcp with about 4K miles on it (7000km). That's weird.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #20
jdgamble
Captain
Rep

So I got the alignment done at the BMW dealership, and it was off slightly in the rear. They evened things up, and it seems slightly better. Per a comment above, right turns seem to require slightly more effort than left turns, but I can live with it the way it is. Thanks for all the feedback.
Appreciate 1