proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #67
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Sounds like I should have saved my initial HK money and just upgraded the HiFi system.

Anyway I'll call a local shop to check install prices. I'm 6'7" with huge hands. Does not sound like a fun afternoon of cramming myself in the car. lol
I have Hi-Fi, upgraded to BavSound Stage 1. It sounds great. If you have HK and upgrade the speakers to BavSound, it would sound even better. HK cars have 7 mids / 7 tweeters vs 5 mids / 4 tweeters in the Hi-Fi cars. It also has a bigger amp compared to hi-fi.

So it's still worth getting HK, then upgrading the speakers to BavSound. They're based in Atlanta, they might be able to point you to a few good shops.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #68
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

I noticed a significant difference when I put the BavSound speakers in my HKL system. Well worth it.

I still think it needs a separate sub, and I have one ordered from musicarnw.com should get here later this week, and hopefully this weekend, I will do the install. I'll take pics of the sub install and note my opinion of the increase in quality of sound.
      01-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #69
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Sounds like I should have saved my initial HK money and just upgraded the HiFi system.

Anyway I'll call a local shop to check install prices. I'm 6'7" with huge hands. Does not sound like a fun afternoon of cramming myself in the car. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I have Hi-Fi, upgraded to BavSound Stage 1. It sounds great. If you have HK and upgrade the speakers to BavSound, it would sound even better. HK cars have 7 mids / 7 tweeters vs 5 mids / 4 tweeters in the Hi-Fi cars. It also has a bigger amp compared to hi-fi.

So it's still worth getting HK, then upgrading the speakers to BavSound. They're based in Atlanta, they might be able to point you to a few good shops.
It would be interesting to compare an upgraded HK vs an upgraded HiFi car. I'm pretty sure that the HK has a more powerful amp so that might help with sound quality. Otherwise the front speakers are the same which is what you are mostly hearing. I believe the subs under the seats are the same as well.

Technic, who frequents these forums is the audio guru and knows the specs better than anybody. I think he said there is a difference in power between the two stock systems (HK vs HiFi). I just can't remember if he said the amps were different or if the gains/power is just turned up for the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #70
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:

Interesting I thought they were in the Carolinas. Who have you been working with is there a good contact?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #71
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting I thought they were in the Carolinas. Who have you been working with is there a good contact?
Call this number. 1.404.381.1800
I worked with Cory, but they're all knowledgeable and nice to work with. Those guys will literally talk your ears off about sound. Their passions do come out over the phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #72
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
It would be interesting to compare an upgraded HK vs an upgraded HiFi car. I'm pretty sure that the HK has a more powerful amp so that might help with sound quality. Otherwise the front speakers are the same which is what you are mostly hearing. I believe the subs under the seats are the same as well.

Technic, who frequents these forums is the audio guru and knows the specs better than anybody. I think he said there is a difference in power between the two stock systems (HK vs HiFi). I just can't remember if he said the amps were different or if the gains/power is just turned up for the HK system.
HK have additional 2 rear deck mids / 2 rear deck tweeters + 2 rear door tweeters + 1 center tweeter. Those additional speakers would require a more powerful amp. Also, Hi-Fi doesn't have a nice EQ system or adjustment. HK would def sound fuller/richer/louder with BavSound vs Hi-Fi with BavSound.

I'm happy with my hi-fi with BavSound. It's just as good as my E90 with HK so I can't complain that I don't have HK.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #73
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
HK have additional 2 rear deck mids / 2 rear deck tweeters + 2 rear door tweeters + 1 center tweeter. Those additional speakers would require a more powerful amp. Also, Hi-Fi doesn't have a nice EQ system or adjustment. HK would def sound fuller/richer/louder with BavSound vs Hi-Fi with BavSound.

I'm happy with my hi-fi with BavSound. It's just as good as my E90 with HK so I can't complain that I don't have HK.
Good points.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #74
mul1gan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white

where are you guys getting your bavsound speakers from and whats the cost? would I need to order anything else for the install?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 03:54 PM   #75
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mul1gan View Post
where are you guys getting your bavsound speakers from and whats the cost? would I need to order anything else for the install?

thanks
http://www.bavsound.com/

You can buy their toolkit to install or use your own. If you're using your own, have at least a T20/T25 screw driver and plastic wedge/pry tool. You'll need a ratchet with T20 to remove the center speaker. Just watch the YouTube vid and read the tips on my review. You might need 3 longer screws for the center speaker.

I would also get the sound deadening. It's worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #76
mul1gan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thanks JNoSol, I have been in contact woth Cory... this sounds like a must have mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #77
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Just to jump on the bandwagon, and to emphasize some other posts I have made, the BavSound Stage 1 is well worth it, even if it is no longer on sale (not sure if it is or not). And, I also had a pretty easy time installing it; the install video helped immensely, and the folks at BavSound are very helpful and respond quickly to questions.

Money well spent.
      01-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #78
mul1gan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I dont think it is on sale any longer, but Cory did mention that the new price for the stage 1 system was the old sales price but that it is on back order.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #79
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mul1gan View Post
I dont think it is on sale any longer, but Cory did mention that the new price for the stage 1 system was the old sales price but that it is on back order.
I checked, there's a still a sale. The price is what I paid for in November. Try promo code 10EXINT at check out for another 10% off.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #80
thepriceisright
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Just placed an order for Stage 1 w/ HK. $683 total with backorder discount and 10% off coupon code (JAN15-10-1).

Going to probably find a local shop to install it. I used to tear my cars apart when I was a kid, but aint nobody got time for that now.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #81
M4LAKA
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays335is View Post
I've taken my M4 into service three times for the same issue: rear right-hand side speakers above armrest. There is a static/squeaky sound that emits from it at 50%+ volume. At first, the shop replaced the speakers themselves-didn't solve the issue. Second and third visit, replaced the amp- yet still hasn't fixed the problem. I will be taking the car in for the fourth time in the near future. I have little hope that this annoyance with be resolved..
They have changed all my speakers, amps, modual,wiring harness and I stillhave the exact problem. They tell me every M4 with HK has this issue and its a software problem probably. I don't believe it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #82
GainswayM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4: MWM Dinan Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4LAKA View Post
They have changed all my speakers, amps, modual,wiring harness and I stillhave the exact problem. They tell me every M4 with HK has this issue and its a software problem probably. I don't believe it.
I also have crackling from my rear speakers. It's killing me - taking back to dealer this week to see what options exist.

2017 Alpine White X5 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:23 PM   #83
M4LAKA
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GainswayM4 View Post
I also have crackling from my rear speakers. It's killing me - taking back to dealer this week to see what options exist.

2 dealerships can't figure it out. Drives me nuts

Past:
2019 M5 Comp
2015 M4
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #84
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Replace them with BavSound Stage 1. Many HK owners on this forum has done it, including Keto who wrote a long review on it. I got hi-fi, now running BavSound Stage 1. I can tell you the speakers upgrade were worth every penny. The photo below doesn't show justice of actually hearing it.

Get BavSound Stage 1. Flatten out all your EQ setting. A good sound system with a good sound source (CD or high kb/s source) should not require you to mess with your EQ. The EQ is professionally tuned by the studio/artist with very high end equipment. BavSound speakers will bring life into those tired HK/Hi-Fi system. HK hasn't made anything amazing for years, the bass is flat/tweeters are weak/mids are tiring. I'm not sure why BMW still partner with them. ELS (Acura), Mark Levinson (Lexus), and Bose (most brands) will blow BMW's HK system out of the water. I heard B&O in a Bimmer before, but it's not worth $5k.
I mean in a studio environment I totally agree with you, but as the sound changes drastically based on what mode your in, what speed you're going, what road surface you're on, how windy it is, etc I really really don't think that you can hope for a perfected sound stage across all aforementioned variables.

Messing with the EQ in cars is something that is and always will be important based on specific driver wants needs and likes. The fact that at speed the system sounds VERY different then it does with the engine off means that it may take some moderate tweaking to get the most out of the system.

I'm sure the BavSound stuff is considerably better, but I wouldn't go telling people not to mess with the EQ on that either. . . Sure it is "tuned" to sound great under 1 particular set of conditions, but what is truly the most important factor here is what sounds best across the most common driving conditions of the individual driver/listener, and everybody is going to be different in this regard.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #85
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck
Quote:
Replace them with BavSound Stage 1. Many HK owners on this forum has done it, including Keto who wrote a long review on it. I got hi-fi, now running BavSound Stage 1. I can tell you the speakers upgrade were worth every penny. The photo below doesn't show justice of actually hearing it.

Get BavSound Stage 1. Flatten out all your EQ setting. A good sound system with a good sound source (CD or high kb/s source) should not require you to mess with your EQ. The EQ is professionally tuned by the studio/artist with very high end equipment. BavSound speakers will bring life into those tired HK/Hi-Fi system. HK hasn't made anything amazing for years, the bass is flat/tweeters are weak/mids are tiring. I'm not sure why BMW still partner with them. ELS (Acura), Mark Levinson (Lexus), and Bose (most brands) will blow BMW's HK system out of the water. I heard B&O in a Bimmer before, but it's not worth $5k.
I mean in a studio environment I totally agree with you, but as the sound changes drastically based on what mode your in, what speed you're going, what road surface you're on, how windy it is, etc I really really don't think that you can hope for a perfected sound stage across all aforementioned variables.

Messing with the EQ in cars is something that is and always will be important based on specific driver wants needs and likes. The fact that at speed the system sounds VERY different then it does with the engine off means that it may take some moderate tweaking to get the most out of the system.

I'm sure the BavSound stuff is considerably better, but I wouldn't go telling people not to mess with the EQ on that either. . . Sure it is "tuned" to sound great under 1 particular set of conditions, but what is truly the most important factor here is what sounds best across the most common driving conditions of the individual driver/listener, and everybody is going to be different in this regard.
BavSound also recommends people with BavSound S1 and HK to 0 out the EQ. They've been messing with BMW sound for years, so I'll take their advice over yours thanks...

If you talk to anyone who knows anything about a good sound system, they would also recommend a flat EQ setting. Changing the EQ setting distort the true sound of a recording, unless you want to do that for every song or have a low end system. (Or you have lost hearing to a certain sound frequency, which is natural sign of aging)

I would agree with your comment on the analog days, but not with high res digital sound source. Interesting article below.

http://www.ziyadnazem.com/post/95643...masking-the-eq" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.ziyadnaze...ing-the-eq</a>
      02-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #86
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWcoupe View Post
This is really starting to annoy me. Be do bad this problem with my e90. My passenger side rear speakers right by the armrest always rattle/squeaks at above 70% volume. At first I thought it was my eq setting. After putting back to stock settings I'm still experiencing the same thing. I remember seeing a couple post about this same problem. Anyone have a solution?
Thought it was just my car. I had same problem. Bmw tech listened and agreed speakers on right rear side were bad. They were going to replace them. I decided that, as long as they have to pull a panel, why replace a crap speaker with another crap speaker. So in the end I went full Bav stage one. Installed by a real pro at audiotronics in Roanoke. Used about 10 feet of sound deadening. Fixed the distortion. No new rattles. Stereo sounds MUCH better. Car sounds better overall with all the deadening he stuffed in. I love it. Money well spent. I was nervous about the install. But I did my homework and the guy who was supposed to be a pro turned out to be just that. Did a great job. Took his time. Happy I did it. Still have a rattle coming out of right rear area. I think its the seat release nechanism vibrating. . Anyone have that problem.?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #87
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
I'm getting rattle from the rear speakers
Mine too .. the instant I drove it off the lot, 4 days ago.

Pathetic.

Being addressed tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #88
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by I hate picking user names
Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
I'm getting rattle from the rear speakers
Mine too .. the instant I drove it off the lot, 4 days ago.

Pathetic.

Being addressed tomorrow
Same here. It's gotten worse. And now you can really tell it's popped. Made an appointment to have the mid range on passenger side replaced. It the beginning When it wasn't so bad, I was very upset about the logic 7. Now I think it's just the defect speaker. It seems like is good handful of us got popped speakers
Appreciate 0