R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-09-2020, 04:38 AM   #1299
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Yes feel bad for me too
I like your new Lexus M3 Type R. Are you going to get the quad center staggered exhaust?
Naw man, gonna put a giant ass wing on it then throw on some Rocket Bunny aero kit. It is going to be lit fam.
stein_325i25083.00
CT_M31478.00
minn1914034.50
      12-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #1300
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
I just realized that this thread is now the main reason why I keep coming back. I used to browse the entirety of Bimmerpost but now that 95% of the range either doesn't appeal to me or is truly ugly, no point in visiting the rest of the site (the new X7...oh god) unless it's a major reveal or something.
Appreciate 8
MFNATIK3498.00
dmk087318.00
stein_325i25083.00
Mavus2029.50
pbar1400.00
ra2289305.50
      12-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #1301
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

OMG poor car, please put it out of its misery.

I priced one on the configuration and it came out to ~100k. Sorry that's Pcar money, used 991 or near new Cayman. You can find a GT4 in the 115-120 range. If you consider mods on the M3/M4 I'd rather have the GT4.

Last edited by irunalot; 12-09-2020 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #1302
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

So we've arrived to the point where spec'ing an M car to most effectively conceal its design is advertised as a win

Appreciate 12
MFNATIK3498.00
stein_325i25083.00
dmk087318.00
CT_M31478.00
minn1914034.50
ntg442888.50
Arcades8174.00
irunalot1518.00
CanAutM321116.50
      12-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #1303
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
I just realized that this thread is now the main reason why I keep coming back. I used to browse the entirety of Bimmerpost but now that 95% of the range either doesn't appeal to me or is truly ugly, no point in visiting the rest of the site (the new X7...oh god) unless it's a major reveal or something.
I did see the spy shot... but didn't think they were serious.

This?
https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/11/30/bmw-x7-lci-rendered/

What creature is this?
Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM3662.50
minn1914034.50
      12-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #1304
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post

This?

What creature is this?
I'd say there's no way that's real but anything is possible.

Also, shout out and sympathies to the BMW-specific domains. Relegated to covering these monstrosities from now until the end of time. Their plight, hopes, and prayers are just barely veiled in the content.

Whether this is what the new X7 going to look like remains to be seen. We actually like how the current model looks and would hate to see it change this drastically. Then again, maybe the final product will look a lot better than this rendering – and there’s a big chance that’s going to happen – and we’ll change our mind when we see the real deal.

Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
MFNATIK3498.00
      12-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #1305
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
Hey, I come to this thread daily too lol! But its important to be critical and objective on the brand we've loved and followed through the years and not drink the kool aid that is being sloshed around by fanboys and influencers.

*Soapbox*
True motorsport is brand irrelevant and irreverent. BMW has for years, had strong motorsport DNA and that has drawn folks like us here on this thread to the brand. I think what worries me, at least, is that I sense a seismic shift in the latest products and marketing, they have been subtle rumblings in the past but the latest products confirm this shift.

It's unfortunate, but its the pressure of corporate earnings to meet street expectations, shareholders etc. In the short run, companies chase markets (Asia, grille design etc.) and revenue streams (M badge slapping), but the pressure on cost control will limit bespoke platforms (weight gain, less lightweight panels, rigorous testing).

BMW, as much as we love it, isn't Porsche. Its more mainstream in its client composition, so margins are lower overall than Porsche. You can see their (BMW) efforts to go upstream (M8, M6) to push margins.

I actually think that Porsche benefits from being under VW (material costs, synergies of production) as their client is not the middle income demographic. Being smaller, they truly benefit from the resources from a giant like VW. The concern there is that VW doesn't kill the goose by chasing margins. So far, they've done a decent job with the bespoke brands they have.

Hence, the F80 to me was a flash in the pan product for BMW. It is a platform with outstanding performance the punches above its weight and is fairly competitive with an equivalent P-car. Reliability, build quality, cooling, weight reduction were all taken into account. That's rare (and it was an entirely 180 degree about face from the e9x) and that is why we were hoping for the continuation of this trend in the G8x.

Grille aside, if fundamentally, the G8x had just a slight weight increase and some motorsport based technology improvement to set the car apart(no, drift meters DO NOT count), I think there would not have been a large backlash. What we got instead, was more weight and polarizing design and what seemed like flashy bits (JDM exterior, interior, bejeweled glass shifter knobs etc., drift meters). Anyone want to guess 5-10 years from now, if the car will be remembered for these features?

Implicit in the ads is the message that the M3/M4 is not about motorsports any longer. It's about a lifestyle, not about track performance and I think that has got purists like us riled up because of what it means for the M3/4 going forward.

The motorsport DNA could be at risk here as they chase what its faddish in markets/culture. BMW has been leaning a lot on its motorsport heritage to sell cars in the last few decades. They seem to be forgetting what appealed to the purists as they chase revenue. With each new gen, it seems less motorsport focused.

More worryingly, it appears that the people in BMW M that are connected with its motorsport past (Biermann and his crew- people who were responsible for the design of the F8x platform), have left. Will there be another generation of like minds in BMW M? Or will it be left to bean counters and lifestyle mavens?

*Steps off soapbox*

P.S. I didn't intend to pen such a long post but got carried away .
Appreciate 9
stein_325i25083.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
MFNATIK3498.00
irunalot1518.00
minn1914034.50
figure99123.00
      12-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #1306
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

^ I think you hit a lot of valid points in your doctorate thesis. I enjoyed it.

BMW should have a separate arm that is more like Porsche and is driver oriented. Sure, higher prices but I’m sure purists and enthusiasts will support with their wallets. Look at the GTS.
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #1307
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:

This?

What creature is this?
That looks like it was designed in Korea ten years ago. No. Just no.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #1308
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
That looks like it was designed in Korea ten years ago. No. Just no.
Hot off the press....
https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/12/09/b...gets-rendered/

My eyes!
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3498.00
      12-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #1309
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Hey, I come to this thread daily too lol! But its important to be critical and objective on the brand we've loved and followed through the years and not drink the kool aid that is being sloshed around by fanboys and influencers.

*Soapbox*
True motorsport is brand irrelevant and irreverent. BMW has for years, had strong motorsport DNA and that has drawn folks like us here on this thread to the brand. I think what worries me, at least, is that I sense a seismic shift in the latest products and marketing, they have been subtle rumblings in the past but the latest products confirm this shift.

It's unfortunate, but its the pressure of corporate earnings to meet street expectations, shareholders etc. In the short run, companies chase markets (Asia, grille design etc.) and revenue streams (M badge slapping), but the pressure on cost control will limit bespoke platforms (weight gain, less lightweight panels, rigorous testing).

BMW, as much as we love it, isn't Porsche. Its more mainstream in its client composition, so margins are lower overall than Porsche. You can see their (BMW) efforts to go upstream (M8, M6) to push margins.

I actually think that Porsche benefits from being under VW (material costs, synergies of production) as their client is not the middle income demographic. Being smaller, they truly benefit from the resources from a giant like VW. The concern there is that VW doesn't kill the goose by chasing margins. So far, they've done a decent job with the bespoke brands they have.

Hence, the F80 to me was a flash in the pan product for BMW. It is a platform with outstanding performance the punches above its weight and is fairly competitive with an equivalent P-car. Reliability, build quality, cooling, weight reduction were all taken into account. That's rare (and it was an entirely 180 degree about face from the e9x) and that is why we were hoping for the continuation of this trend in the G8x.

Grille aside, if fundamentally, the G8x had just a slight weight increase and some motorsport based technology improvement to set the car apart(no, drift meters DO NOT count), I think there would not have been a large backlash. What we got instead, was more weight and polarizing design and what seemed like flashy bits (JDM exterior, interior, bejeweled glass shifter knobs etc., drift meters). Anyone want to guess 5-10 years from now, if the car will be remembered for these features?

Implicit in the ads is the message that the M3/M4 is not about motorsports any longer. It's about a lifestyle, not about track performance and I think that has got purists like us riled up because of what it means for the M3/4 going forward.

The motorsport DNA could be at risk here as they chase what its faddish in markets/culture. BMW has been leaning a lot on its motorsport heritage to sell cars in the last few decades. They seem to be forgetting what appealed to the purists as they chase revenue. With each new gen, it seems less motorsport focused.

More worryingly, it appears that the people in BMW M that are connected with its motorsport past (Biermann and his crew- people who were responsible for the design of the F8x platform), have left. Will there be another generation of like minds in BMW M? Or will it be left to bean counters and lifestyle mavens?

*Steps off soapbox*

You nailed it. Very well said. A good thorough analysis
Appreciate 1
CT_M31478.00
      12-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #1310
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post

BMW should have a separate arm that is more like Porsche and is driver oriented. Sure, higher prices but I’m sure purists and enthusiasts will support with their wallets. Look at the GTS.
They used to...........
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #1311
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:

BMW should simply own up to the fact that ///M now stands for ///Marketing.
Appreciate 4
MFNATIK3498.00
CT_M31478.00
stein_325i25083.00
CanAutM321116.50
      12-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #1312
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Oh I think they already signaled that with ///Kith
Appreciate 5
CT_M31478.00
icegrill2078.00
minn1914034.50
stein_325i25083.00
      12-10-2020, 01:50 AM   #1313
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:

*Soapbox*

*Steps off soapbox*

Well said
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 07:26 AM   #1314
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

*Soapbox*

*Steps off soapbox*

Nice write up

As a tidbit, Porsche was so successful as an independent company and was sitting on so much cash, it almost bought VW. In a tug of war between cousins, Piech outwitted Porsche and VW ended up owning Porsche. But it could have easily gone the other way.

I also don’t agree with your assessment of the E9X M3. In its era, it also performed above its class and could outperform a 911 of that era on track.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-10-2020 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      12-10-2020, 07:29 AM   #1315
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

That’s the gripe most of us have: ///M used to be that “separate arm”

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      12-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #1316
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
As a tidbit, Porsche was so successful as an independent company and was sitting on so much cash, it almost bought VW. In a tug of war between cousins, Piech outwitted Porsche and VW ended up owning Porsche. But it could have easily gone the other way.

I also don’t agree with your assessment of the E9X M3. In its era, it also performed above its class and could outperform a 911 of that era on track.
Yes, I remember that. Porsche really had themselves to blame, scheming with a derivatives play on VW and got caught with a short squeeze which they essentially got a margin call. This got them in financial trouble, which made them vulnerable to a VW takeover. It was a little hilarious to read if you weren’t Porsche.

I don’t didn’t mean to imply that the all the prior gen M3s were not capable of being competitive with Porsches in races but I think in trims available to consumers, it was not as competitive. The E9x platform had rod bearing issues, needed additional cooling on track and was heavier than the outgoing E46 M3. The F8x’s cooling is a dramatic improvement over the E9x (just by itself, improving the overall reliability of the engine) and other tidbits like a closed deck design. I wouldn’t have considered the F8x if Biermann hadn’t made those design changes and would have just gotten a 911.1 S.

P.S. I realized that I misspoke, its been such a long time since I read the case but Porsche was planning to secretly buy out VW. The great financial recession caused VW’s shares to crater in value, forcing a liquidity crisis at Porsche. They did use derivatives in addition to equity purchases and that just made it worse when the share value cratered. Still, at that time, VW was bigger than Porsche, but Porsche needed a 75% stake in VW. In reality, I wouldn’t say that Porsche got outwitted, rather they got greedy by using options and chased the acquistion. In the end, the trade got too big and overwhelmed the capacity of Porsche when it crashed. If they had not over-reached, their plan would have succeeded when VW AG’s stock cratered, they could have just swooped in and purchased the shares. The over-reach here was not watching your liquidity levels; same as Bear Stearns, Lehman, Countrywide etc. Their use of derivatives signaled leverage as they couldn’t buy VW outright with cash on hand; it also signaled that they were reaching. The market is dangerous like that; once news of their intent was signaled and their liquidity situation was known; I wouldn’t be surprised if it was revealed that VW had ‘allowed’ their share price to fall to put tremendous stress at Porsche.

Last edited by CT_M3; 12-10-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #1317
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

I also don't agree with your assessment of the E9X M3. In its era, it also performed above its class and could outperform a 911 of that era on track.
Yes, I remember that. Porsche really had themselves to blame, scheming with a derivatives play on VW and got caught with a short squeeze which they essentially got a margin call. This got them in financial trouble, which made them vulnerable to a VW takeover. It was a little hilarious to read if you weren't Porsche.

I don't didn't mean to imply that the all the prior gen M3s were not capable of being competitive with Porsches in races but I think in trims available to consumers, it was not as competitive. The E9x platform had rod bearing issues, needed additional cooling on track and was heavier than the outgoing E46 M3. The F8x's cooling is a dramatic improvement over the E9x (just by itself, improving the overall reliability of the engine) and other tidbits like a closed deck design. I wouldn't have considered the F8x if Biermann hadn't made those design changes and would have just gotten a 911.1 S.

P.S. I realized that I misspoke, its been such a long time since I read the case but Porsche was planning to secretly buy out VW. The great financial recession caused VW's shares to crater in value, forcing a liquidity crisis at Porsche. They did use derivatives in addition to equity purchases and that just made it worse when the share value cratered. Still, at that time, VW was bigger than Porsche, but Porsche needed a 75% stake in VW. In reality, I wouldn't say that Porsche got outwitted, rather they got greedy by using options and chased the acquistion. In the end, the trade got too big and overwhelmed the capacity of Porsche when it crashed. If they had not over-reached, their plan would have succeeded when VW AG's stock cratered, they could have just swooped in and purchased the shares. The over-reach here was not watching your liquidity levels; same as Bear Stearns, Lehman, Countrywide etc. Their use of derivatives signaled leverage as they couldn't buy VW outright with cash on hand; it also signaled that they were reaching. The market is dangerous like that; once news of their intent was signaled and their liquidity situation was known; I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed that VW had 'allowed' their share price to fall to put tremendous stress at Porsche.
I remember those times. I was hoping VW bought Porsche and made a high performance Golf R. The MK8 looks good on paper. I'll definitely be checking that car in 2022; long time from now 😭

Yup; the early Cayenne had VW parts. The engine and Transmission was said to be Porsche.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34181.00
      12-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #1318
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
I remember those times. I was hoping VW bought Porsche and made a high performance Golf R. The MK8 looks good on paper. I'll definitely be checking that car in 2022; long time from now 😭

Yup; the early Cayenne had VW parts. The engine and Transmission was said to be Porsche.
Indeed, the Cayenne/Touareg was a VW/Porsche joint venture.

Appreciate 2
2011ninja3396.00
GERMAN M34181.00
      12-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #1319
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Oh I think they already signaled that with ///Kith
This was signaled long before Kith and long before the G8X, but then you had owners of the lower M-Performance labeled cars telling legit M owners that they were being sensitive, had too much ego, etc.
Appreciate 4
CanAutM321116.50
minn1914034.50
MFNATIK3498.00
CT_M31478.00
      12-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #1320
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
This was signaled long before Kith and long before the G8X, but then you had owners of the lower M-Performance labeled cars telling legit M owners that they were being sensitive, had too much ego, etc.
I think they just made it "official" now?

Cars aside, how are you doing? Things settling down at all for you in your job or is still nuttier than usual?

Also, I vote you get a M2 CS so I can selfishly hear your impression of it etc.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00