ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
pzz67
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 bmw m3

Brembo GT kit 405/380

I just had a brembo gt kit installed on my car.

However the brake pedal feels a lot worse than stock.
It feels very spongy the top 50% of the brake feels like it doesn’t even bite at all.
The mechanic has assured me there is no air in the lines.
They said it’s to do with brake booster going from 4/2 to 6/4.
Would this be the case?

Also with ignition off, I step on the brakes 3 times and it firms up but I can push it right to the bottom with a little force.
I tried it on my daily Audi a1 and once it firms up I cannot push it any further.

This brake kit is turning to be a headache for me.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

Bleeding

While it can be true that more pistons can make for longer pedal travel that's not a given. It has to do with volume of pistons. If the 6/4 has more total volume the pedal will travel further, but will have better modulation and higher ultimate force capability. You could make a single piston caliper that was huge and it would have longer pedal travel.

Most brake companies try and match volume as close as possible, and changing it can mess with ABS, balance, etc... I can't image Brembo got that wrong, but who knows.

I strongly suspect they have air trapped in the system (ABS can be tough) and they haven't got it out of the system.
Turbo Miata Racecar (sold)
1995, 2009, 2015 M3 (sold)

Last edited by bracer; 12-19-2018 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I've purchased several BBKs over the years for my BMWs (Stoptech/Brembo) and each time the initial bite has felt spongy compared to the stock setups. You will adjust to it, just don't have the mindset going in that because you have an upgraded kit that all of a sudden the moment you touch the brakes the car will just dig into the pavement.

The F8x ///M cars already have some pretty good brakes stock, keep that in mind too.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
While it can be true that more pistons can make for longer pedal travel that's not a given. It has to do with volume of pistons. If the 6/4 has more total volume the pedal will travel further, but will have better modulation and higher ultimate force capability. You could make a single piston caliper that was huge and it would have longer pedal travel.

Most brake companies try and match volume as close as possible, and changing it can mess with ABS, balance, etc... I can't image Brembo got that wrong, but who knows.

I strongly suspect they have air trapped in the system (ABS can be tough) and they haven't got it out of the system.
I have the Brembo kit and it’s perfect. It’s needs to be properly bled. The 6/4 Piston argument not sure what that means
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I've purchased several BBKs over the years for my BMWs (Stoptech/Brembo) and each time the initial bite has felt spongy compared to the stock setups. You will adjust to it, just don't have the mindset going in that because you have an upgraded kit that all of a sudden the moment you touch the brakes the car will just dig into the pavement.

The F8x ///M cars already have some pretty good brakes stock, keep that in mind too.
Opposite for me. Stock brakes very spongy, Brembo GT Type 3 kit has really smooth and firm bite. I recommend BBK for the F8x
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
pzz67
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

I don’t doubt the stopping power of it.
It just feels like I have to push the pedal down further to stop compared to previously.

Luckily the dct only moves when you give it gas, otherwise I’d imagine I would have to put the pedal to the ground just to hold it at a stop

May bleed again and see how it goes

Thanks though
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #7
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Definitely bleed it again. My StopTech BBKs were bitey as hell and I miss having brakes that felt like boat anchors were being thrown overboard. The stock brakes, by comparison, feel quite spongey.

It may also be worth noting that I tried three different methods for bleeding the brakes on my car, and the best results were always achieved with a device called a MiteyVac. It connects to an air compressor and has a reservoir to collect the used fluid. It literally sucks all of the air out, leaving only the fluid.

TIS calls for the use of a device like a Motive Power Bleeder, and it works by pressurising the car’s brake reservoir. It worked ok, but not as well as the MiteyVac.

The last way to bleed the brakes is by pressing on the brake pedal with a bleed screw open, and re-closing it at the bottom of the pedal stroke. You continue to evacuate air with pedal strokes, doing each corner separately, until the air is out. This method takes forever and does not work well. You’re better off getting one of the tools listed above.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 12-20-2018 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
I have the Brembo kit and it’s perfect. It’s needs to be properly bled. The 6/4 Piston argument not sure what that means
This.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzz67 View Post
I just had a brembo gt kit installed on my car.

However the brake pedal feels a lot worse than stock.
It feels very spongy the top 50% of the brake feels like it doesn’t even bite at all.
The mechanic has assured me there is no air in the lines.
They said it’s to do with brake booster going from 4/2 to 6/4.
Would this be the case?

Also with ignition off, I step on the brakes 3 times and it firms up but I can push it right to the bottom with a little force.
I tried it on my daily Audi a1 and once it firms up I cannot push it any further.

This brake kit is turning to be a headache for me.

Thanks
Hmmmm.....finally someone with same feeling as me.

Had countless correspondence with Danni and 3 different aftermarket shops bleed it.

To me, once warmed up they have more bite. However running without using for several miles scares the hellout of me that I’m not going to stop in time.

Was about to try something else after a year of this (replace master cylinder)....but your post leads me to believe that might not be issue.

Yes, big headache here.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:59 PM   #10
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

Had countless correspondence with Danni and 3 different aftermarket shops bleed it.

To me, once warmed up they have more bite. However running without using for several miles scares the hellout of me that I’m not going to stop in time.

Was about to try something else after a year of this (replace master cylinder)....but your post leads me to believe that might not be issue.

Yes, big headache here.
Huh? No headaches for me. Not sure what you’re doin wrong
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #11
pzz67
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Yes, big headache here.
Yes they have bite! However mine feels really soft
Like no resistance/pressure at all. It just sinks if I rest my foot on it unlike before it’ll only go down a little bit until it gets harder.

Doesn’t get hard at all.... soft all the way through.
Pretty much the top 40% of the brake does nothing, it’s useless.
Brake likes come on but doesn’t do any speed reduction.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #12
pzz67
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Huh? No headaches for me. Not sure what you’re doin wrong
Does yours feel exact same as oem brakes?

Mines got longer brake pedal travel before the it actually feels like the calipers start grabbing the rotors.

But all in all the soft as fk brake pedal is what’s killing me.
Feels like I’m stepping in quicksand, just sinks in with no resistance/pressure.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:25 AM   #13
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does yours feel exact same as oem brakes?

Mines got longer brake pedal travel before the it actually feels like the calipers start grabbing the rotors.

But all in all the soft as fk brake pedal is what’s killing me.
Feels like I’m stepping in quicksand, just sinks in with no resistance/pressure.
No they feel more on point than the stock brakes.

The symptoms your describing were the issues I had with the stock brakes.

Did you buy new? What condition are your pads/ rotors? Dust Boots/ seals ok?

Any leaks?

Last edited by aBMWfan; 12-21-2018 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:16 AM   #14
pzz67
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No they feel more on point than the stock brakes.

The symptoms your describing were the issues I had with the stock brakes.

Did you buy new? What condition are your pads/ rotors? Dust Boots/ seals ok?

Any leaks?
They were secondhand, I had them repainted and reconditioned.

Pads and rotors are brand new.
No leaks.

I wish it was something wrong so I could pin point what is the causes of this is.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #15
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They were secondhand, I had them repainted and reconditioned.

Pads and rotors are brand new.
No leaks.

I wish it was something wrong so I could pin point what is the causes of this is.
Damn I understand that frustration.

Are you in California?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:05 AM   #16
pzz67
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Damn I understand that frustration.

Are you in California?
Not anymore, back in New Zealand now.
Im like the only one here with modified f80 m3.

and mechanics here i would say aren't too experienced with f80 m3 let alone modifications for this car.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:

To me, once warmed up they have more bite. However running without using for several miles scares the hellout of me that I'm not going to stop in time.

Yes, big headache here.
Huh? No headaches for me. Not sure what you're doin wrong
I'm not doing anything wrong as confirmed by 3 different shops including one Brembo (Danni) sent me to.

Mine were brand new.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not doing anything wrong as confirmed by 3 different shops including one Brembo (Danni) sent me to.

Mine were brand new.
That’s strange. Brembo shouldn’t be giving headaches especially if it’s new
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #19
Shortyy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Bleed again with a power bleeder and cycle the ABS pump while you’re doing it (you’ll need a snap on scanner, laptop to cycle the pump)

I bleed this way and it’s spot on, one time I got a tonne of air into my system and it was a bitch to bleed and get all the air out, but with a power bleeder and cycling the pump it eventually came good. You could have loads of air in your system after the brake swap.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 04:23 AM   #20
pzz67
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortyy View Post
Bleed again with a power bleeder and cycle the ABS pump while you’re doing it (you’ll need a snap on scanner, laptop to cycle the pump)

I bleed this way and it’s spot on, one time I got a tonne of air into my system and it was a bitch to bleed and get all the air out, but with a power bleeder and cycling the pump it eventually came good. You could have loads of air in your system after the brake swap.
Just had it bled again with 2 man pedal pumping method.
Thinking of just buying fluid and go to the dealer to do it.
Do they cycle the abs/dsc unit when bleeding?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 06:37 AM   #21
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

I have the gt kit on the f80 and pedal is more progressive compared to stock (mostly due to pads I think) and definitely not spongy. You should not be noticing a significant difference in pedal travel between stock and the BBK. Like others have said probably air in the system. Take it to the dealer and request to speak/diagnose with a master tech. Keep us updated thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #22
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
I have the gt kit on the f80 and pedal is more progressive compared to stock (mostly due to pads I think) and definitely not spongy. You should not be noticing a significant difference in pedal travel between stock and the BBK. Like others have said probably air in the system. Take it to the dealer and request to speak/diagnose with a master tech. Keep us updated thanks.
+1
Appreciate 0