EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-04-2022, 10:21 AM   #2641
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Epic! Yeah, we'll be some of the few people driving to/from the track with GTMores. The right way to do it would be to trailer and then used a fully stripped M4 as a base.

Looking forward to your review!
Are you going to be running the setup for the 11s? Don't think it will be too bad for trips to the track (except when you have to make an 84 point turn to get into the parking spot at the IHOP on the way)(or maybe that epic roadtrip down to VIR?). Would be a lot of fun watching you guys drive up in your GTS's and then lay the smack down.

Yeah very much looking forward to running this car - moreso than any of my others so far. With the potential we have seen in the M2 I really can't wait to see what a properly track prepped F8x can do. I love the M2 (and we have something big in the works for it too) - but its a pig. A low weight (relative) and balanced F8x - yes please!

Also we are looking at doing less racing next year and more of the bucket list tracks out east - might be able to finally sneak out there and track with you guys!
Appreciate 3
      10-04-2022, 10:40 AM   #2642
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Picked up these magnetic paddle shifters over the weekend after feeling them in another track buddy’s F80 - they replace the entire paddle shift unit and not just the paddle itself. Way more tactile than the stock units and take a deliberate effort to pull. Looking forward to trying these on track next month as I have definitely done a double upshift by accident. The paddles are also set back a tiny bit further which gives you a little more room for your fingers between the wheel and paddle. I think they’re a good option for those that don’t want to run a true race wheel but want the tactility of the paddles. Expensive tho at $450.

I would definitely not recommend these for a street only car - they’re loud and can get obnoxious very quickly. The deliberate effort to shift with them can get annoying during causal daily driving. You can shift them relatively quietly but it’s a movement you’ll have to learn/practice which kind of makes the car feel a little more mechanical.
Attached Images

NYG10689.00
OG Shark4692.50
      10-04-2022, 10:49 AM   #2643
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Picked up these magnetic paddle shifters over the weekend after feeling them in another track buddy’s F80 - they replace the entire paddle shift unit and not just the paddle itself. Way more tactile than the stock units and take a deliberate effort to pull. Looking forward to trying these on track next month as I have definitely done a double upshift by accident. The paddles are also set back a tiny bit further which gives you a little more room for your fingers between the wheel and paddle. I think they’re a good option for those that don’t want to run a true race wheel but want the tactility of the paddles. Expensive tho at $450.

I would definitely not recommend these for a street only car - they’re loud and can get obnoxious very quickly. The deliberate effort to shift with them can get annoying during causal daily driving. You can shift them relatively quietly but it’s a movement you’ll have to learn/practice which kind of makes the car feel a little more mechanical.
Very curious to how these feel. Does it increase the range of motion required for each shift?
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #2644
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Very curious to how these feel. Does it increase the range of motion required for each shift?
They are very clicky/notchy just like on a race wheel, and there is an increased range of motion so it feels like you're pulling the paddle vs tapping it on the OE shifters. The breakaway torque needed to pull the paddle out of its resting position will pretty much guarantee you'll hit the full range of motion. Having said that, the actual shift actuation is at the bottom of the pull and not the top so you can put your index finger in front and rest of behind the paddle and pull it in an extremely controlled manner to just hit the actuation point which significantly reduces the sound but takes some practice.

Currently they're making the rounds with the influencer & lifestyle crowd so expect to see them posted around the place but my prediction is they'll be hyped up at first but ultimately most people will go back to the OE shifters for improved quality-of-life.
NYG10689.00
      10-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #2645
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I have the MadTrace shifters too (video in editing). It's a decent product with some benefits, but could use some refinement. I modified mine for slightly lower pull weight and less "clack" on return, which I find terribly annoying (the pitch is very salient). I wish I had the option of getting the alu paddles when I got mine.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      10-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #2646
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Are you going to be running the setup for the 11s? Don't think it will be too bad for trips to the track (except when you have to make an 84 point turn to get into the parking spot at the IHOP on the way)(or maybe that epic roadtrip down to VIR?). Would be a lot of fun watching you guys drive up in your GTS's and then lay the smack down.

Yeah very much looking forward to running this car - moreso than any of my others so far. With the potential we have seen in the M2 I really can't wait to see what a properly track prepped F8x can do. I love the M2 (and we have something big in the works for it too) - but its a pig. A low weight (relative) and balanced F8x - yes please!

Also we are looking at doing less racing next year and more of the bucket list tracks out east - might be able to finally sneak out there and track with you guys!
Oh yes. Possibly a bit more than 11s
Not looking forward to the steering locks, but what can we do...

I think the GTMore aero will be a bigger issue for the street than the steering limiters. We'll have to find some really flat gas stations on the way to VIR!
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      10-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #2647
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I have the MadTrace shifters too (video in editing). It's a decent product with some benefits, but could use some refinement. I modified mine for slightly lower pull weight and less "clack" on return, which I find terribly annoying (the pitch is very salient). I wish I had the option of getting the alu paddles when I got mine.
Looking forward to your vid - did you just use a lower powered magnet? Or is there more modification required?
      10-04-2022, 01:27 PM   #2648
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:

Good point on the room between the paddle and the wheel. I run the KMP setups and really like them - but the room between is pretty tight with a glove on. One finger clicks can be a little annoying without much room for the other finger between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Oh yes. Possibly a bit more than 11s
Not looking forward to the steering locks, but what can we do...

I think the GTMore aero will be a bigger issue for the street than the steering limiters. We'll have to find some really flat gas stations on the way to VIR!
Talk to me Goose - what you doing with the wheels...

I fear for your splitter
Appreciate 2
NYG10689.00
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      10-04-2022, 10:40 PM   #2649
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

NYG here is the shift action on the paddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Good point on the room between the paddle and the wheel. I run the KMP setups and really like them - but the room between is pretty tight with a glove on. One finger clicks can be a little annoying without much room for the other finger between them.
Yeah it’s nice having a little more room although the paddle is now slightly closer to the indicator stalk; I don’t think that’ll be an issue tho. Next track day is Nov 12 so looking forward to giving these a run.
      10-06-2022, 11:30 AM   #2650
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Question for those running the stock calipers about replacing the dust boots - I'm going to throw on some high temp dust boots this off-season, is it as simple as using a pick tool to pull out the old boots and pushing/seating the new boots in?
      10-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #2651
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

I think this probably lives best here, but I just reached out to Paul Johnson regarding doing a custom tune, mainly aimed at how I want the car to perform on the track and street. Street driving on cup2's, I don't think the car needs more low or mid-rage power, but I would love the HP to progressively build from 4K to redline, maybe to a peak gain around 50-70rwhp. This would be on stock turbos and pump gas.

He said he has done this quite a bit in the past. Will report back with more.
      10-06-2022, 08:38 PM   #2652
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Question for those running the stock calipers about replacing the dust boots - I'm going to throw on some high temp dust boots this off-season, is it as simple as using a pick tool to pull out the old boots and pushing/seating the new boots in?
I'm not sure you can really do this without doing a proper rebuild, which involves removing & draining the caliper, fully removing the pistons and boots, and replacing not only the boot but also the seal (the o-ring that sits inside/deep within the piston cylinder that keeps brake fluid from escaping). If doing this you should just replace the pistons while you're at it with the full kit (I'm assuming you're getting from racingbrake.com?)

Good DIY here: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1747800
With some additional comments/tips of my own here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1893568
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2022, 09:54 AM   #2653
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

I really should do this over winter. My boots feel crusty every time i swap pads from track to street.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:54 AM   #2654
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
I'm not sure you can really do this without doing a proper rebuild, which involves removing & draining the caliper, fully removing the pistons and boots, and replacing not only the boot but also the seal (the o-ring that sits inside/deep within the piston cylinder that keeps brake fluid from escaping). If doing this you should just replace the pistons while you're at it with the full kit (I'm assuming you're getting from racingbrake.com?)

Good DIY here: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1747800
With some additional comments/tips of my own here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1893568
Yup looking at the racing brake ones. Hmm I’ll have to see how my boots are when I swap in my street pads in a few weeks.
      10-09-2022, 01:00 PM   #2655
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Yes you can get the pistons to come out just enough to for the dust boots, and they come out with a pick tool. When I did mine after 3 years, the boots were completely destroyed but the inner seals were in very good condition.

On stock calipers, I’d swap the dust boots every season and do the seals every second or third year. Just my take of course.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 02:58 PM   #2656
polarbearz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Has anyone tried 034 two piece rotor with j hook? I heard they perform same as giro disc.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 03:03 PM   #2657
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

I've got vibration on hard braking over 100 mph. Brakes look good. I can twist the camber rod a decent amount by hand. Is it a good assumption that the bushings are causing this vibration?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 04:30 PM   #2658
shaddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbearz View Post
Has anyone tried 034 two piece rotor with j hook? I heard they perform same as giro disc.
I saw these too on Blake's Garage, Girodiscs are common but these being on FCP Euro makes the cost pretty much a wash over time. Really thinking about them for next season!

Link for people interested: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...t-034-301-1009
      10-09-2022, 06:25 PM   #2659
polarbearz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbearz View Post
I saw these too on Blake's Garage, Girodiscs are common but these being on FCP Euro makes the cost pretty much a wash over time. Really thinking about them for next season!

Link for people interested: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...t-034-301-1009
Me too! I saw his video as well. Wanna see if anyone else in the forum have used them.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 07:12 PM   #2660
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
I largely agree with Montaver as its something I considered myself this time last year, but I don't believe either option is wrong depending on the circumstance.

I was either selling my mostly stock F80 and upgrading to a GT4 which already came standard with bucket seats, suspension, brakes, and aero, or taking the money I would have spent on the GT4 and upgrading the F80 as far as I wished.

The main reason why I decided to stay with the F80 and spend money on modifications was that for me, the F80 was my first ever sports car; I drove a Toyota Camry prior. This meant that I spent the first 5 to 6 years driving and learning the car mostly stock, and felt that I wanted to explore how all the modifications I'd seen and read about over the years could transform the car.

I'd be nice for me to at least drive a GT4 for an extended period, as it'd be great to compare the modified F80 to stock GT4. This will likely never happen but it would settle whether I was right or wrong with my choice from a performance perspective. To Montavers point, the resale was the primary point on why I'd considered the GT4 in the first place.
A well setup track f8x will dust the GT4 and for a fraction of the price. Sure it won't have the prestige of Porsche or benefits of mid engine weight, but the power, aero, suspension availability are low hanging fruit to a formidable track car. If you save all the original parts you can part it out and return the F8x to stock for a reasonable resale.
Assuming equal driver/tires, a mildly modded F8x is not 'dusting' a 981 gt4 let alone a 718. Initial cost to buy F8x is cheaper, TCO is less clear. F8x is a very competitive platform to build from though for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 07:45 PM   #2661
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I largely agree with Montaver as its something I considered myself this time last year, but I don't believe either option is wrong depending on the circumstance.

I was either selling my mostly stock F80 and upgrading to a GT4 which already came standard with bucket seats, suspension, brakes, and aero, or taking the money I would have spent on the GT4 and upgrading the F80 as far as I wished.

The main reason why I decided to stay with the F80 and spend money on modifications was that for me, the F80 was my first ever sports car; I drove a Toyota Camry prior. This meant that I spent the first 5 to 6 years driving and learning the car mostly stock, and felt that I wanted to explore how all the modifications I'd seen and read about over the years could transform the car.

I'd be nice for me to at least drive a GT4 for an extended period, as it'd be great to compare the modified F80 to stock GT4. This will likely never happen but it would settle whether I was right or wrong with my choice from a performance perspective. To Montavers point, the resale was the primary point on why I'd considered the GT4 in the first place.
A well setup track f8x will dust the GT4 and for a fraction of the price. Sure it won't have the prestige of Porsche or benefits of mid engine weight, but the power, aero, suspension availability are low hanging fruit to a formidable track car. If you save all the original parts you can part it out and return the F8x to stock for a reasonable resale.
Assuming equal driver/tires, a mildly modded F8x is not 'dusting' a 981 gt4 let alone a 718. Initial cost to buy F8x is cheaper, TCO is less clear. F8x is a very competitive platform to build from though for sure.
I'm saying a well modded F8x, largely because it's tough to get a lot more power from the GT4.

My e9x runs GT4s down with ease.
      10-09-2022, 10:47 PM   #2662
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Quote:
Quote:

As soon as I switched to an ethanol track tune, when my car was much much more mildly modded, gt4's were not even competition anymore, they were much slower and hold you up quite a bit.