BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-01-2022, 03:31 PM   #23
JipperII
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Just make sure you get a Crank Bolt Capture plate (a CBC) installed, so your crank hub bolt is secured. Then you can play with Stage 1 or 2 tunes without worry.

If you go with BM3 and do add the CBC then download the GTS tune and get used to some extra power. Then download the Stage 2 tune for your local fuel, and you'll feel a nice bump in power again. Going in steps let's you get used to the feel and to see how you manage keeping traction.

If one does not have a CBC and/or Hub Fix installed then I only recommend to use the GTS tune. Turning off MDM/DSC really let's you play and slide…learning limits of your skill and tires.

If you do want to play with fuels and add some E then try to get a 5gal pail of 98% Ethanol. You can add 1 gallon of E98 into 6 or 5 gallons of pump gas (93 octane E10). This gets you E23-25 and increases octane to 95.5-96 without stressing injectors or fuel pumps. Start with 1+6gal and see how the E23 performs.

I'm not worried about the power, I've had more powerful cars prior....I am worried about the crank hub thing, do you think I could get by for a while without doing it? I am not racing the car, just enjoy driving it and only do about 50 miles a week as is all under 60mph
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 06:26 PM   #24
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JipperII View Post
Quote:
Just make sure you get a Crank Bolt Capture plate (a CBC) installed, so your crank hub bolt is secured. Then you can play with Stage 1 or 2 tunes without worry.

If you go with BM3 and do add the CBC then download the GTS tune and get used to some extra power. Then download the Stage 2 tune for your local fuel, and you'll feel a nice bump in power again. Going in steps let's you get used to the feel and to see how you manage keeping traction.

If one does not have a CBC and/or Hub Fix installed then I only recommend to use the GTS tune. Turning off MDM/DSC really let's you play and slide…learning limits of your skill and tires.

If you do want to play with fuels and add some E then try to get a 5gal pail of 98% Ethanol. You can add 1 gallon of E98 into 6 or 5 gallons of pump gas (93 octane E10). This gets you E23-25 and increases octane to 95.5-96 without stressing injectors or fuel pumps. Start with 1+6gal and see how the E23 performs.

I'm not worried about the power, I've had more powerful cars prior....I am worried about the crank hub thing, do you think I could get by for a while without doing it? I am not racing the car, just enjoy driving it and only do about 50 miles a week as is all under 60mph
Normal driving…u b fine.
      10-02-2022, 04:08 AM   #25
G-Ram
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Quote:
Just curious, if you're always under 60 mph, why are you looking for "mid 500's" in your very limited driving time vehicle? Seems like a stocker, or at max, a stage 1 BM3 tune would suffice eeeeeeasily...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 09:59 AM   #26
JipperII
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Ram View Post
Just curious, if you're always under 60 mph, why are you looking for "mid 500's" in your very limited driving time vehicle? Seems like a stocker, or at max, a stage 1 BM3 tune would suffice eeeeeeasily...

I drive to the gym and home plus to the office here and there...occasionally get on the highway but pretty rare...honestly for me i want to have the power if I want it and really enjoy driving when I get the chance to...probably not doing much else to it after this but it's just a personal preference
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 10:03 AM   #27
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Quote:

Stage 1 is the max I would do without any crank hub upgrade.

Stage 2, I would add crank bolt capture.

Stage 2 on E85 would require a full crank hub upgrade IMO.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 07:01 PM   #28
JipperII
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

Any idea on how many hours of labor the cbc should run me? I am not going to go to e85
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #29
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Any idea on how many hours of labor the cbc should run me? I am not going to go to e85
Only a couple of hours if I recall correctly.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 05:50 AM   #30
JipperII
Private
Rep

Quote:
Do you think I could do just the spark plugs, catted AA downpipes and stage 2 tune and hold off on the CBC until the spring? Getting expensive and need to get new tires too
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 09:03 AM   #31
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you think I could do just the spark plugs, catted AA downpipes and stage 2 tune and hold off on the CBC until the spring? Getting expensive and need to get new tires too
I would flash stage 1 instead of stage 2 until you get CBC installed. That's good for 500 whp if you are running 93 octane.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 09:50 AM   #32
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

A CBC should only be 2-3 hours max. I'd put it at the top of the list, then the tune, and downpipes last.

Why are you buying the AA catted DPs? Stock cats flow great, and no need for expensive DPs unless you really need that extra 10HP… I'd save the money for later.
      10-04-2022, 10:12 AM   #33
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Good video showing DIY of the CBC install.

10-04-2022, 11:09 AM   #34
JipperII
Private
Rep

Quote:
A CBC should only be 2-3 hours max. I'd put it at the top of the list, then the tune, and downpipes last.

Why are you buying the AA catted DPs? Stock cats flow great, and no need for expensive DPs unless you really need that extra 10HP… I'd save the money for later.
Honestly heard great things on the sound combo with the AA catted dps, AA EL mid pipe (getting to a low less raspy sound)and I didn't want to have the exhaust smell, and that I could pick up a good chunk more tq and hp with both those and the AA stage 2 tune.

Last edited by JipperII; 10-04-2022 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 08:46 AM   #35
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Honestly heard great things on the sound combo with the AA catted dps, AA EL mid pipe (getting to a low less raspy sound)and I didn't want to have the exhaust smell, and that I could pick up a good chunk more tq and hp with both those and the AA stage 2 tune.
Dude, send me a PM. We gotta talk. I hate to see money thrown to the wind. I'm on my third F8X build, and will give advice from the combos I've tried.

Here's your current bill:
AA GESI cats $3K + Install and gaskets $1K
AA EL Midpipe $1.6K
AA Stage2 tune $750 + DME Removal ($1-2K) + Femto box w cable $175
========
$8,525

My plan:
BM3 Stage2 tune $600 new (resellable later)
Kies WiFi adapter $80 + $10 Cat5 cable
Custom S55 tune by Paul Johnson $700
========
$1,390

Plenty of money left over to play with cats and pipes, or wheels and tires.
      10-08-2022, 07:53 PM   #36
JipperII
Private
Rep

Anybody have thoughts on the Remus axel back exhaust paired with the AA EL mid pipe? Thinking since sound is important maybe swapping the comp exhaust for the remus...thoughts on the sound change?

Part of why I was going to do the catted dow pipes was for a bit of a deeper sound but thought might hold on those for a bit if I can.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 02:21 PM   #37
Marioec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Dude, send me a PM. We gotta talk. I hate to see money thrown to the wind. I'm on my third F8X build, and will give advice from the combos I've tried.

AA EL Midpipe $1.6K
========
$8,525

My plan:
========
$1,390

Very true example
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 02:47 PM   #38
Tdog86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3   [9.50]
2016 bmw m3  [0.00]
AA catted down pipe is not designed well and they don't care about the quality that they put out, I have one and noticed some issues on how close the pipes are to the cats and don't taper right, I talked to them they said they saw a problem and it was a problem that they would fix and sent me new ones were they only corrected one side of each downpipe and it still had the problem on the other side and there reply was:
We will send you a return label, please package them back up for a full refund. I believe this is the best alternative.
I did keep the downpipe's, cut them open, fix the issues and welded them back together myself. There welds are good but not backed purged on any of the products I have. I made there catted downpipe's flow even better then how they originally sent them to me.
When I put the downpipe on my exhaust, it did slightly sound a little bit louder but I don't know how it would be for you sense have that choke point in them.
If they just fix the issues with there down pipes or at least two different sets I had, It would be design pretty good other than them not back purging their welds. I think the reason they're like this is so they can produce them quicker without having to accurately cut everything and accurately weld everything together, they just leave everything longer so it's easier to just weld.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5449.50
      10-14-2022, 04:02 PM   #39
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Tdog86 you get 2 thumbs up for fixing it yourself. That's some quality re-engineering you did!
      10-14-2022, 06:08 PM   #40
Tdog86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3   [9.50]
2016 bmw m3  [0.00]
Thank you TopJimmy, I saw failed design but with potential and they weren't willing to fix it. I was hesitant at first to even think this would be an upgrade when looking at stock cat versus the un modded AA catted down pipes. The way I first received the AA catted downpipes I don't think it would be much of a upgrade, but after modding the down pipe it's able to use more surface area of the cat easily. Stock on top and modded AA on bottom.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 06:27 AM   #41
JipperII
Private
Rep

Wow! This really makes me think twice about spending 4k between parts and labor on that...jeez, wonder if there are any catted dps that make sense...I guess I can't do stage 2 off of the stock dps?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 08:12 AM   #42
damos
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

AA EL Midpipe $1.6K
========
$8,525

My plan:
========
$1,390

Jipper, you are getting some quality advice here from two very knowledgeable people on this forum.
Thanks to topjimmy and hellokitty for helping this guy and the community.
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5449.50
hellokitty2894.00