EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-22-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
Mojave Spirit
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Am I looking at a full fender repaint?

So I had a bad moment and managed to brush the front fender of my car. I had Xpel Ultimate on it, but some metal tore right through that and the paint. The car is Alpine White which I hope is the least worrisome paint to match. The PPF managed to take the brunt of the impact, but a few places weren't spared. The side marker will probably be replaced, but the door and wheel look spared.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? What's a good ballpark # for a fender respray?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
trackymbf82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, Bootmod3 on E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Spirit View Post
So I had a bad moment and managed to brush the front fender of my car. I had Xpel Ultimate on it, but some metal tore right through that and the paint. The car is Alpine White which I hope is the least worrisome paint to match. The PPF managed to take the brunt of the impact, but a few places weren't spared. The side marker will probably be replaced, but the door and wheel look spared.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? What's a good ballpark # for a fender respray?
Probably 1k
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

400 for the repaint, 300 for the fender film, 50 for the fender marker

they will primer and throw color on the affected areas, then clear the whole fender. This will not have to be blended into the hood or door as its far enough away from the other panels.

You should have the shop redo that fender anyway and line it up better
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

That doesn't look too bad. Wait until you pull off the PPF. If there aren't any deep gouges in the metal, you can lightly sand and then fill with touch up paint. When you put the PPF back on it will hide the marks pretty well. Before I had the CF roof on my previous car film protected, a chunk of concrete hit it and gouged it pretty badly. I cleaned it well and then had PPF put on and you couldn't tell it was damaged. You may also get away with a rubbing compound and polish on the side marker.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Yup, remove the PPF. Bet you 90% of the damage is gone. Had a truck tire hit the side of my bumper. I used a knife to cut away a section of my PPF and all the damage went away.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Rip off that PPF and check the damage. You might be able to get away with just some PDR and touch up paint

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0