proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-16-2023, 08:11 PM   #1
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

How does the new MK5 Supra compare against the F8X?

As the title states, anyone with seat time in the Supra have a comparison?

Shopping a 2023 Supra Manual against a 2018+ F8X and wanting to see how they compare in overall driving experience, ownership, anything. Appreciate any feedback!
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 08:18 PM   #2
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I have never driven a new Supra and honestly never cross shopped one. It is supposed to be a great car and indont doubt it, but the s55 is just so much more special of a motor. Much more power, revs to 7500rpm, and more exclusive as a powertrain. They are totally different cars though and it’s also important to consider your personal needs and use case for the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 10:05 PM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I test drove a MK5 once and it was surprisingly nice, for about 5 minutes.

The thing is an absolute COFFIN inside. It seriously has the absolute worst outward visibility of any car I've ever driven, it's just terrible. There is no view out of the car which isn't ridiculously obstructed, I have no idea how anyone over 5'6 could drive the thing. How they could have got it so wrong is just mind blowing to me, I couldn't get out of the car fast enough.

It's a shame too because in person it's really a very nice vehicle. Sort of took me by surprise as I was expecting less, but all around it looks very nice. I would never, ever consider it over an F8x though. I can't think of a single advantage it would have over our beloved F8x cars.
Appreciate 4
      02-16-2023, 11:41 PM   #4
Hxngs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

The thing is an absolute COFFIN inside. It seriously has the absolute worst outward visibility of any car I've ever driven, it's just terrible. There is no view out of the car which isn't ridiculously obstructed, I have no idea how anyone over 5'6 could drive the thing. How they could have got it so wrong is just mind blowing to me, I couldn't get out of the car fast enough.

It's a shame too because in person it's really a very nice vehicle. Sort of took me by surprise as I was expecting less, but all around it looks very nice. I would never, ever consider it over an F8x though. I can't think of a single advantage it would have over our beloved F8x cars.

This kinda makes me wanna go test drive one now
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 08:27 AM   #5
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxngs View Post
This kinda makes me wanna go test drive one now
Ditto.

The Autoshow is in town this week...may need to check this out. No was could this possibly be worse to see out of than a Camaro.
      02-17-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
I have considered replacing the S2000 I have with the Supra, but would never replace my M3 with one because I actually use the rear seats, trunk, and interior space on a daily basis. If you're looking to have the M3/4 as a fun car, then you will find the Supra to be a smaller more nimble vehicle, but if you actually need the space a M3/M4 gives you, there's no comparison.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 09:28 AM   #7
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

I have owned 2 F80s and now the Supra
They are very different cars
The F80 has the typical BMW firm is sporty suspension
The DCT is great at 9 or 10/10 but it is not that great low speeds and medium speeds
You can really feel the difference in weight and the rotational difference in their wheel bases
Interior is like a batcave in the Supra and the F80 felt more higher end esp with the Full leather package
Honestly I would not have purchased my 2nd F80 in 2019 had the Supra been available with the updated B58 and Toyota fixed the suspension issues in the first model year
Both are great cars, and serve different purposes, the F80 being MUCH more versatile
I mean I fit 4 wheels/tires in that thing, a 55" LED TV and 5 very thin girls on the back seat in a pinch
The Supra really is like a 2nd or 3rd car option
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 09:38 AM   #8
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
I have owned 2 F80s and now the Supra
They are very different cars
The F80 has the typical BMW firm is sporty suspension
The DCT is great at 9 or 10/10 but it is not that great low speeds and medium speeds
You can really feel the difference in weight and the rotational difference in their wheel bases
Interior is like a batcave in the Supra and the F80 felt more higher end esp with the Full leather package
Honestly I would not have purchased my 2nd F80 in 2019 had the Supra been available with the updated B58 and Toyota fixed the suspension issues in the first model year
Both are great cars, and serve different purposes, the F80 being MUCH more versatile
I mean I fit 4 wheels/tires in that thing, a 55" LED TV and 5 very thin girls on the back seat in a pinch
The Supra really is like a 2nd or 3rd car option

Idk why you'd do that to those poor very thin girls. Plenty of room on your lap.
      02-17-2023, 10:19 AM   #9
lookitsapples
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

Quote:

Glad I’m not the only one, my wife and I test drove one and it felt like I was sitting in a submarine with tiny windows. It’s so weird since no reviewers on YouTube mentioned this. I used to drive a s2000 for years and it never gave me the feeling of entrapment like that.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17479.50
      02-17-2023, 10:26 AM   #10
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsapples View Post
Glad I’m not the only one, my wife and I test drove one and it felt like I was sitting in a submarine with tiny windows. It’s so weird since no reviewers on YouTube mentioned this. I used to drive a s2000 for years and it never gave me the feeling of entrapment like that.
Exactly! I’ve even owned smaller cars like the Z3M clown shoe and never felt cramped!
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2023, 08:41 AM   #11
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsapples View Post
I used to drive a s2000 for years and it never gave me the feeling of entrapment like that.
I agree, with the S2000 you sit on it, whereas with the Supra, you're in it. Even if you throw a hardtop on the S2000 it doesn't feel as claustrophobic, but most newer cars have moved the sills higher - probably for crash safety - or lowered the driver in the car.

I would be curious to see how it compares to the platform mate (Z4) with the convertible top up.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2023, 12:47 PM   #12
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowturbo View Post
revs to 7500rpm
wrong. 7600.
      02-20-2023, 12:49 PM   #13
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
DCT is great at ALL speeds and this is coming from a Tesla owner. I will never buy a torque converter ZF saddled M.

With that said, the B58 is a great non-M engine. If you like the way it looks and don't plan on tracking the snot out of it, go for it. The F80 is a proven track hobbyist platform. The cooling capacity is legit, lap after lap after lap.

Last edited by THEROK; 02-20-2023 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 5
c0nrad93.00
DaiLyCS166.50
Humdizzle6061.50
      02-20-2023, 03:29 PM   #14
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Thanks for everyone’s replies! Appreciate the feedback given.

For those who drove the Supra, would any of those opinions change if the Supra was manual? I test drove an auto one the other day just to get an idea of how it feels.

1.) interior is pretty cramped. Im used to driving Z4M roadsters but this feels more tight.
2.) quality was better than I expected for the interior. seats are nice, trunk space is decent for that small of a car.
3.) steering feel felt surprisingly better than the F8x does, in the sense it’s not rubbery and doesn’t have that dead spot. The supra definetly feels lighter/more nimble.

M3/4 has a much solid chassis feel (solid bushings/mounting of course) and the s55 feels more special.

It’s conflicting now, I’m only considering the manual option vs the F8x. Attached of the one I saw:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 08:42 PM   #15
DaiLyCS
First Class
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Thanks for everyone’s replies! Appreciate the feedback given.

For those who drove the Supra, would any of those opinions change if the Supra was manual? I test drove an auto one the other day just to get an idea of how it feels.

1.) interior is pretty cramped. Im used to driving Z4M roadsters but this feels more tight.
2.) quality was better than I expected for the interior. seats are nice, trunk space is decent for that small of a car.
3.) steering feel felt surprisingly better than the F8x does, in the sense it’s not rubbery and doesn’t have that dead spot. The supra definetly feels lighter/more nimble.

M3/4 has a much solid chassis feel (solid bushings/mounting of course) and the s55 feels more special.

It’s conflicting now, I’m only considering the manual option vs the F8x. Attached of the one I saw:
I have a friend with one, and man I’m not that tall and I can’t even see some of the street lights, I bumped my head trying to get in it the first time lol, i would prefer m2 over it.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17479.50
      03-24-2023, 08:42 PM   #16
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

For an update:

Contacted multiple dealers to see if any would sell a 2023 3.0 Premium 6MT. Most dealers that had one or an allocation for one had a dealer markup (ranging from 5-10k). Another dealer said they would sell at MSRP, but I'd need to come back in a month to put my name on a list and a deposit down and I'd be receiving the car in about 8-9 months from now.. LOL

At MSRP it's a pretty sweet deal considering the overall package. But for 70k+taxes/misc fees? No thank you... Back to looking at the F8x platform.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 09:14 PM   #17
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i drove the first year auto. back when i had my f80 6mt

its a fine car. you have to remember its like 15-20k less than a loaded 2015 base model m3 though. so its not going to be as well appointed. i thought the cabin was fine. im 5'10 160 though. we drove from dallas to austin and i thought it was very comfy. it really is a good gt car. plenty of low end. sounds decent. has 8 gears.

around town is where i had issues. that zf8 is painfully laggy on downshifts if you like to drive in manual mode and are used to m-dct or pdk/ferrari f1 gearboxes. like tragically bad. if you throw it in 'D' and let the computer sort the shift logic it does better. but thats no fun.

i ended up buying an m2c dct instead. the manual supra is probably alot better than the one i drove, but i wasn't in the market for a manual dd.

if you're in the market for a 2 seat sports car i'd go cayman. even if its a 4 cylinder.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 02:23 AM   #18
csboi
Late Apexer
Rep
Drives: RS/CS

I've never driven an A90 Supra, but I easily walked one (more like jogged) on the straightaway at Auto Club Speedway, a few months back. It was actually comical how slow it was, I was not impressed. I'm sure it was an auto. ��
2018 BMW ///M3 CS • San Marino BlueMPE V2, VRSF SMP, KW HAS, GC CPs, SPL FLCAs + TREs + RUCAs + F&R ELs, Fall-Line RTLs, Team Schirmer offset RDB, Michelin PSC2★, MSI 80mm wheel studs, Core4 FC lug nuts, CSF CC, ESS Tuning CPs, MSR FMCAI, Dinan coils, SLON Workshop tie bar, Endless ME20 + RF650
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2023, 11:30 PM   #19
High Octane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by csboi View Post
I've never driven an A90 Supra, but I easily walked one (more like jogged) on the straightaway at Auto Club Speedway, a few months back. It was actually comical how slow it was, I was not impressed. I'm sure it was an auto. ��
Maybe it was the 4cyl? They look almost identical unless you know what to look for.

I sold my 6mt m4 2 years ago and currently own a Supra. Even with a few mods on my previous m4, the Supra is quicker.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 11:49 PM   #20
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Octane View Post
I sold my 6mt m4 2 years ago and currently own a Supra. Even with a few mods on my previous m4, the Supra is quicker.
You're saying a stock Supra is faster than an M4 with a "few mods"?

What?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 09:24 AM   #21
High Octane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW M4

Quote:
You're saying a stock Supra is faster than an M4 with a "few mods"?

What?
If you tune the m4, sure. I had just exhaust and intake at the time. I did better at the track with the Supra than I did with the m4. Mine was a 2015 m4 that I’m comparing, non comp. So maybe that’s why I noticed such a difference.

With that said, I still think the m4 is the better car overall. The power and lightweight-ish of the Supra really surprised me. Extremely capable car on the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 09:41 AM   #22
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Octane View Post
If you tune the m4, sure. I had just exhaust and intake at the time. I did better at the track with the Supra than I did with the m4. Mine was a 2015 m4 that I’m comparing, non comp. So maybe that’s why I noticed such a difference.

With that said, I still think the m4 is the better car overall. The power and lightweight-ish of the Supra really surprised me. Extremely capable car on the track.
When I drove the Supra it felt slower than my base 6MT M4, maybe I just couldn't see well enough out of it to tell I was going fast.

Numbers show it having a slower 1/4 than a base M4 so not sure what mods your M4 had to run slower than a stock Supra.
Appreciate 1
DaiLyCS166.50