GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

06-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #23
MattyIce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

This is a great build to follow! Looking forward to more updates!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 07:22 PM   #24
rumzh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Awesome thread man! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 05:19 AM   #25
Crazypinoy9
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

great looking build! enjoyed going through your progress and looking forward to more
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 02:07 PM   #26
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyIce View Post
This is a great build to follow! Looking forward to more updates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumzh View Post
Awesome thread man! Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypinoy9 View Post
great looking build! enjoyed going through your progress and looking forward to more
Thanks for checking out the build! Still have some more plans for this one.

Speaking of, I wasn't entirely happy with the way the car acted on cold start (especially with the cold start delete). From day 1 after installing them, the car would stumble and have trouble finding a smooth idle for the first 30 seconds before eventually settling down. I attributed it to the cold start delete, but after doing some more research, it seemed the BMS intakes, and more specifically, how the MAF attaches, had caused idle issues for others. And the cold start delete only exacerbated the problem.

I absolutely loved the look and performance of the Dinan intake and exhaust combo on the M5, and after installing the exhaust, had my eyes on the matching intake. This setup is definitely expensive for what it is, but looks great in person and from what I've gathered, should correct my initial stumble issue if the intakes were what indeed was causing it. I also drive in a dusty environment sometimes, and felt better about a closed air box over the long run.

Install only took a few hours and was straightforward. Definitely not as man hour intensive as the S63 version, or the N54 versions that I'd installed previously.

Appreciate 1
      07-03-2022, 10:07 AM   #27
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
love this build.

I love the CHR's and have been thinking of doing the same. Classic look and such a great combo.

cheers!
josh
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #28
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
love this build.

I love the CHR's and have been thinking of doing the same. Classic look and such a great combo.

cheers!
josh
Thank you sir! Yes, I loved the CH-Rs on the F10 M5, and they look equally as good on the F80 M3. HIGHLY prefer them without the polished curb ring. They are a little heavier than the high dollar BBS forged options, but are great for a daily driver, especially with the big sticky PS4S on there.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 11:15 AM   #29
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Finally finished up the exterior of the car by adding some OEM M Performance carbon fiber mirror caps and a Dinan carbon fiber rear deck spoiler. The overall end result is exactly what I envisioned when I purchased this car back in February.

Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 11:24 AM   #30
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: In the official dedicated MHD Tuning thread for the F80 M3, I had openly complained about how poorly my car was at modulating the throttle in Sport and Sport + modes with the MHD stage 1 93 octane tune. No matter how little throttle you applied when taking off from a stop, the revs would want to continue to climb, and when the clutch eventually engaged, would start a bucking sensation that made me look like a 6MT newbie. It was more irritating to drive than some twin disk cars.

After some revisions with MHD, they did provide me with a map where the throttle sensitivity was turned down in Sport and Sport + modes. This helped only marginally, but still left me bucking off the line the majority of the time.

I really didn't want to go back to stock tuning so I when taking off from a stop I adopted the strategy of applying 0% throttle and just slowly letting off the clutch until I was able to get rolling in 1st gear before applying any gas. This was a band-aid fix at best and didn't really allow me to enjoy the car fully. It also became a hard task to do when dealing with any incline from a stop.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when I installed the Dinan carbon fiber intake package and during my first test drive, it seemed my problem had solved itself.

The BMS Elite intakes I was running prior, and especially where the MAFs attach to the piping, had seemingly caused readings to be off enough to where it was affecting my initial throttle tip in; especially from a stop. I read some other threads where others were also complaining about this and almost all of them had the BMS intakes. It seemed to be more to do with the metal housings on the BMS versus the plastic housings on the OEM and Dinan versions.

Either way, I'm extremely happy I was able to get this solved and can fully enjoy the fully tuned car now.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 07-11-2022 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      10-06-2022, 10:11 AM   #31
Kal_el
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Great thread, nice to walk through the progression. If MHD is still acting up maybe flash back to stock and consider BM3?
      11-06-2022, 10:52 AM   #32
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_el View Post
Great thread, nice to walk through the progression. If MHD is still acting up maybe flash back to stock and consider BM3?
I've put about 10,000 miles on the car since switching to the Dinan intake and the problem has not reappeared. Tune feels great without the 1st gear takeoff problems the intakes were causing.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 11:23 AM   #33
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

I recently passed the 20,000 mile mark of personal usage with this car and everything has been going great. The odometer now reads 115,000 miles and has been putting in steady, daily-driving work since I bought it with no issues. In addition to completing nearly 750 miles a week for work, I’ve also taken the car up on the Blue Ridge Parkway multiple times this fall to take in the leaves and enjoy the twisty roads with the family. My daughter absolutely adores this car -- hard to deny her the driver’s seat.

I’m only a few thousand miles away from my next scheduled block of maintenance, which will include an oil change, fresh NGK 97506 (it’s been 20k miles since they were installed), differential fluid change, and manual transmission fluid change. I’ve decided to go with the recommended Redline fluids on the fluids, which I’ve used in the past with good results.

I also picked up another gift for the F80 that I’ll be installing at the same time. This should provide more consistent performance in the 90+ degree temperatures we see here in the Carolinas during the summer, as well as finish off the look of the engine bay. I’ve used CSF products in the past, and even though the price is higher than most, the high build quality is unquestionable.

Appreciate 2
swagon13484.00
GERMAN M34176.50
      11-25-2022, 08:59 PM   #34
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

I have been running the stage 1 93 octane tune OTS tune from MHD for the past 20,000 miles or so and it's been doing great. The car feels much more powerful, and the snappy torque curve is great for daily driving, but lately I've been yearning for even more.

With catless downpipes already installed, I have everything ready to proceed to stage 2, but what I really wanted was to introduce ethanol to the mix. I also know E85 and spun crank hubs seem to happen more frequently than when running pump gas, so I'd want to address that as well. Since this is a car I put about 500 miles on a week, the stage 2 E30 tune sounded perfect. Just enough ethanol content to run more efficiently without completely sacrificing fuel mileage and the health of my fuel system components.

Ultimately I decided to go with the MHD flex fuel kit that adds an ethanol sensor and tunes the car accordingly. This means I can throw in 4 gallons of E85 and fill up the rest with 93 octane, or just 93 octane, and boost and timing will be adjusted accordingly. The MHD flex fuel kit was installed in about 30 minutes and I loved the idea of not having to get under the car to install.

Passenger side side bolster and rear seat removed.

I followed the instructions and unplugged the EKP, let the car die out, disconnected the battery, all before disconnecting the fuel line, but still had way more fuel come out than in any of the installation of flex fuel kits I've seen online. Luckily I had some towels inside to quickly soak up the extra gas.

All connected, less than a minute of work once the top hat was removed.

Things went back together just like they were removed and I flashed the MHD tune with the updated MHD ECA box checked so now I can read live content. I will continue to run the 93 octane stage 1 tune until I can install all the other goodies I have, which include a VTT crank bolt capture.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 11-26-2022 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      11-26-2022, 07:29 PM   #35
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Went for a little spin earlier to see if the ethanol sensor was working and looks like yesterday's install was a success. Showing E10 on the reading, which is exactly what it should be for 93 octane.

Appreciate 1
      11-26-2022, 08:02 PM   #36
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
So is the plan to put major miles on it still? I think the platform has proven its reliability many times over but alternative fueling has been the slippery slope.

Overall love the thread and the build. The F80 is an endlessly attractive car that will stand the test of time even as the tech gets crazy on newer cars.
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2022, 08:47 PM   #37
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
So is the plan to put major miles on it still? I think the platform has proven its reliability many times over but alternative fueling has been the slippery slope.

Overall love the thread and the build. The F80 is an endlessly attractive car that will stand the test of time even as the tech gets crazy on newer cars.
Yes, at least for the time being. I was on the fence about going back to stock and selling at the 115,000 mile mark, but really couldn't find anything else I liked under $80,000 except the G80, and not sure I want to invest that much extra for only small improvements and a front end I'm still unsure about. Adding a little extra power to this F80 should help keep me pacified for a little while longer. Thanks for following along!
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2022, 07:59 PM   #38
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

The cherry on top for the engine bay look I've been trying to build arrived earlier today. I plan on installing all the parts I've been collecting sometime next week and will provide updates along the way.

Appreciate 2
      12-11-2022, 03:03 PM   #39
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Starting earlier this weekend, I got the car up on jack stands after a nice long drive and started doing some of the things I had planned for the F80. I started with getting the engine oil, manual transmission fluid, and rear differential fluid drained and replaced with new fluids. Done this numerous times on different BMWs and this was just as straightforward as before. Looking forward to seeing if the new Redline transmission fluid feels as I remember feeling a noticeable improvement on previous cars I’ve switched over.

Once I had that taken care of, I moved to the engine bay. Since I needed to replace my NGK 97506 spark plugs that had over 20K miles on them, and had a new charge cooler and J pipe to install, that meant a lot of components would have to be pulled off. I used the method of disconnecting the one main coolant inlet line and draining it into a bucket, instead of fully draining the coolant completely. This worked beautifully, but getting the old charge cooler off the mounts took some real muscle.

Old pieces out and new pieces ready to go in.

The VRSF j pipe comes with two bungs for meth injection, so I am using one of those with a barbed fitting so I can run the line to a P3 analog gauge I’m going to put in the front driver’s vent. Installation was a pain on this one. Without the OEM o-ring found in my OEM j-pipe, the VRSF pipe fit perfectly, but with the o-ring installed it just wouldn’t fully seat no matter what I did. Used all kinds of lubricants, but luckily I had another charge pipe o-ring and when using that one it slid right on. Fit was looser than I’d like, but this seems to be normal and held boost just fine when tested.

Charge cooler went on smoothly and the fitment was 100% perfect. CSF products are not cheap, but their fitment does seem to be top notch from personal experience.

After bleeding the system and topping off the reservoir to the proper level, I hopped under the car to attack the Vargas crank bolt capture. I know some people go from the top, but this was very straightforward from underneath. I am average sized and my forearms and hands are bruised and scratched from working in such close quarters, so not sure everyone would have the clearance to do this from underneath with the fan installed still.

After loosening each bolt only a little bit to try to not let the pulley come off the belt, I slowly got all 8 fully removed.

It took me a few different times of sliding the bolt capture on the crank hub bolt and looking with my iPhone before getting the right orientation to be able to get all 8 bolts back in, but eventually with some patience I got all 8 new bolts torqued down properly. For about an hour of time, installing one of these seems like easy insurance.

The last thing I had to do was install a set of Rogue Engineering manual transmission mounts I’d picked up. This is another mod I’ve done on previous BMWs that I’ve enjoyed, and it’s also not too time consuming. The Rogue mounts in particular don’t really increase NVH but help a lot with getting the car into the gear you’re wanting; especially under WOT. Before I dropped the brace, had to get a jack to support the transmission.

Hard to capture pictures and nothing too exciting to see, but within 15 minutes, had the new mounts back in and torqued down.

The finished look of the engine bay is exactly what I had in mind.

I have flashed to the stage 2 93 octane flash from MHD, and have verified that the car is holding boost with no misfires even with the 22psi this tune calls for on full 93 octane, I have plans of filling up with 5 gallons of E85 tomorrow, which will close to the E30 mark I’m looking for. The flex fuel tune should auto adjust to something closer to the E30 stage 2 tune, which should lower boost back down to 19-20psi, and advance timing a bit to get even more power. It looks like I was having some slight timing drops on the stage 2 93 octane tune according to my logs, so hopefully the timing pulls correct themselves when the added ethanol. Will keep everyone posted!
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2022, 10:18 AM   #40
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Ran the car down to about a 1/4 of a tank this morning before stopping to fill up at a station near me with E85. Put in 5 gallons of E85 and then topped it off with 93 octane.

Connected with MHD and was able to see in real time the ethanol content change from E10 all the way to E32 after a few minutes. I knew I needed to wait a bit before the reading at the sensor was the same fuel that was entering the engine.

I had been getting timing drops throughout most of the RPM range yesterday on stage 2 with only 93 octane and hit around 23-24psi on a 3rd gear pull. This time with the E30 blend on a little 3rd gear pull, no timing corrections in the upper half of the RPM range, boost lowered to 20-22psi and car felt much smoother, and much faster than the stage 1 93 octane tune I'd been running. Exactly what I was looking for. Log link below:

https://datazap.me/u/chad-parries/e3...36-37-38-39-40

The transmission feel is much improved with the new Redline fluid inside and the RE transmission mounts installed. The NVH was increased maybe 5%, and mostly in the shifter itself when holding it, but everything feels much tighter and more precise now. Very pleased with how everything turned out so far.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #41
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Got the P3 analog gauge installed last night. This version only reads boost and battery voltage, but the boost function is all I was looking for. I have it hooked up directly to the VRSF J-pipe for reference and it seems to be working great. Very easy to glance over while driving to see where boost is and looks great as well. The quick recall function by hitting the left button once to view maximum PSI reached is also helpful.

Appreciate 1
      12-13-2022, 11:00 AM   #42
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

awesome build!
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2022, 08:43 AM   #43
lihao
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota 86

Beautiful build! What camera did you use for the recent interior shots?
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2022, 10:39 AM   #44
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njavier03 View Post
awesome build!
Thanks for following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lihao View Post
Beautiful build! What camera did you use for the recent interior shots?
I use my Sony A7 IV. Wide angle shot came from my FE 12-24mm F2.8 and the bokeh-effect shots are from my FE 50mm F1.2. Really love the setup, and use it a ton for work to shoot great 4K video on my Ronin RS3 Pro too.
Appreciate 1