Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-04-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
Yas_F80_M3
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Drivetrain malfunction / transmission jerking

Hello all,

I'm looking for some help / advice on my 2015 M3 (DCT), this is a car I've owned since new. It's at around 50K miles, I use it as an occasional daily driver, and do 4-5 track day weekends / year. It's got a Dinan stage 1 flash, stock exhaust, cats, etc. I replaced the plugs and coil packs about 5K miles back with the stock plugs and stock coil packs.

I'm having two frustrating issues:

1. Drivetrain malfunction: - I get this error only on the track, the car goes to limp mode, run rough and has a misfire. If I shut the ignition off, wait a few seconds, and then restart the car --- the error seems to clear itself. Engine temps seem OK, fuel level seems OK. if I check error codes, I see some misfires being detected, and then an injector is shut down.... what can I do to address this? This issue does not come up in normal (?) driving.

2. Transmission Jerk at low speed: - This is something that only happens when stationary/ v. low speed, when initially selecting 1 or R, and gently pressing the throttle, the transmission jerks (engaged abruptly / disengages). If accelerating more aggressively this is not an issue... it's not an issue beyond 1st gear. Its worse in Sport or Sport+, but does not appear to be related to that. It only happens at low speed.

Thanks in advice for any help with these issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas_F80_M3 View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking for some help / advice on my 2015 M3 (DCT), this is a car I've owned since new. It's at around 50K miles, I use it as an occasional daily driver, and do 4-5 track day weekends / year. It's got a Dinan stage 1 flash, stock exhaust, cats, etc. I replaced the plugs and coil packs about 5K miles back with the stock plugs and stock coil packs.

1. Drivetrain malfunction: - I get this error only on the track, the car goes to limp mode, run rough and has a misfire. If I shut the ignition off, wait a few seconds, and then restart the car --- the error seems to clear itself. Engine temps seem OK, fuel level seems OK. if I check error codes, I see some misfires being detected, and then an injector is shut down.... what can I do to address this? This issue does not come up in normal (?) driving.

2. Transmission Jerk at low speed: - This is something that only happens when stationary/ v. low speed, when initially selecting 1 or R, and gently pressing the throttle, the transmission jerks (engaged abruptly / disengages). If accelerating more aggressively this is not an issue... it's not an issue beyond 1st gear. Its worse in Sport or Sport+, but does not appear to be related to that. It only happens at low speed.

A first gear transmission jerk or bucking feeling is normal on the DCT cars. However its hard to tell if thats what your experiencing or recently its been much more aggravated and aggressive? The fact that you turn the vehicle off and back on and it self clears tells me its an intermittent issue. If your receiving misfires in some cylinders and codes point to injectors I believe I would start there. what is the actual code??
      04-04-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
khoa@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F83

maybe check your coolant level? What were the codes? I got drivetrain malfunction warning here and there and found out the coolant was low.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 11:35 PM   #4
shaolinx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa@x-ph.com View Post
maybe check your coolant level? What were the codes? I got drivetrain malfunction warning here and there and found out the coolant was low.
Same. I thought it was leaking since i had to fill it up then brought it in and they said the pressure was fine.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2022, 03:50 AM   #5
Uwish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI2

Do a trans service.
New DSG filter and new oil.
Happened to my car once the new owner started tracking it.
Fixed no more issues
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 10:27 PM   #6
F80 Andrew Jaco
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas_F80_M3 View Post
Hello all,

1. Drivetrain malfunction: - I get this error only on the track, the car goes to limp mode, run rough and has a misfire. If I shut the ignition off, wait a few seconds, and then restart the car —- the error seems to clear itself. Engine temps seem OK, fuel level seems OK. if I check error codes, I see some misfires being detected, and then an injector is shut down.... what can I do to address this? This issue does not come up in normal (?) driving.

i just ran into the same issue today. did you come to a solution?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #7
RAT3DM
Mod Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
Do a trans service.
New DSG filter and new oil.
Happened to my car once the new owner started tracking it.
Fixed no more issues
This is what I would recommend as well, its goes along with the interval for servicing the DCT clutch. However if your getting misfires as well since you are servicing the car I'd just have the codes read just to ensure your are addressing the right issue.
Appreciate 0