ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

03-25-2022, 10:43 PM   #1
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Chadillac2000's 2015 BMW M3 Road Warrior Daily Driver Build Thread

About a year ago, I sold my beloved 2008 BMW 135i. For a large chunk of the previous five years, it was my daily driver. Over that time, I traveled almost 150,000 miles in the car for work purposes and documented the entire adventure. I went from bone stock, to FBO, to top mount single turbo full e85 rocket. You can see the full build thread below:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1294947

After purchasing a 40K mile 2016 BMW M5 Competition, I had thoughts of making that car my new daily because it was so incredibly enjoyable to drive. As I began to modify the car with high end aftermarket parts, I started to feel even more guilty putting the car through numerous highway long hauls each week. I made a full build thread for that car as well, which can be seen below:

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762200

At that point I was on the hunt for a new daily that I wouldn’t feel terrible about piling miles on. I had considered an E90/E92 M3, but the rising prices of that platform made it hard to find anything decent for $35,000 or below. I hadn’t even really considered the F80 M3 as prices were still just a little out of reach, but after months of looking at all kinds of different options, I found a seemingly very well taken care of 2015 BMW M3 with just a touch over 90,000 miles on the odometer.

The car was most importantly, 6-speed, the exterior was Mineral Gray Metallic, black interior, 437M wheels, and had the carbon roof option. It was a 2 owner vehicle with service history from the dealership since it was purchased brand new. With the slightly higher mileage and lower price point, I wouldn’t have to worry about devaluing the car significantly. The car was completely stock with the exception of some very basic, mostly aesthetic modifications: OEM M Performance black front grills + side grills + M3 badge, painted rear reflectors, secondary cat delete, and OEM M Performance front lip spoiler and carbon fiber front splitters.

One early morning plane ticket, one Uber fare, a 200 mile trip back home, and $35,000 later, I was the proud owner of this super-clean 6MT 2015 BMW M3. Below are some pictures I took on the way back; I adorned the M3 with my old expired 135i license plate just to avoid getting pulled over on the way home with no tag.

I drove the car for almost 3,500 miles without doing a thing to it and enjoyed every second of it. The DCT in the F10 M5 is incredible, but I had missed having a 6MT in my life. I was skeptical of the F80 M3 in general because of what I’d read online, but I had a completely opposite reaction. I fell in love almost immediately. Before too long it was time for the first oil change. I swapped over from OEM oil to my personal favorite, Motul X-Cess 5W-40; paired with a Mann filter of course. I also got the chance to use my fancy new oil fill funnel that screws securely where the oil cap normally goes.

I was also ready to start dialing the car in with some modifications of my own. The first round of mods focused mostly on the aesthetics of what was already a very good looking car. Over the course of a weekend, I installed the following items: Eibach V2 lowering springs, 12mm spacers all around, AutoTechnik rear carbon fiber diffuser, IND Distribution modified OEM M Performance side skirts, IND Distribution painted front reflectors, Burger Motorsports old style gloss black exhaust tips, and OEM M Performance pedals and floor mats. These minor tweaks made a huge difference in looks, and got me really close to that OEM+ look I’m going for.

I was shocked at how quick it was to swap out the OEM springs for the Eibachs, being able to pull the strut assembly out allowed me to change all 4 springs in just a few hours.

Once the springs fully settle, I’ll be getting the car aligned, and switching up the existing 437M wheel setup. I also have some power mods incoming that I’ll be installing soon as well. Stay tuned for more updates!

Last edited by chadillac2000; 03-28-2022 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 6
bigj505359.00
dms-011129.50
M3ANSPEC393.00
GERMAN M34176.50
      03-26-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Ah, yeah, I remember you from 1Addicts. About to sell the 135 soon, too, for a highway cruiser of some sorts. Great car, but never really gelled with it over the eight years for some reason.

I'd have changed the shocks at this mileage if I were you.
      03-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Ah, yeah, I remember you from 1Addicts. About to sell the 135 soon, too, for a highway cruiser of some sorts. Great car, but never really gelled with it over the eight years for some reason.

I'd have changed the shocks at this mileage if I were you.
Yes sir, was very active on 1Addicts for about 5 years. I definitely gelled with the car, but sadly it was no M. I also didn't realize how much I missed a linear power band versus the completely on or off feel of the single turbo 135i. If you have the resources, the F10 M5 is still a great bargain for a highway cruiser. Crazy comfortable and tons of power on tap, even more so with a tune and some mods. They can still be found under $40K fairly easily.

I considered changing the shocks since they're nearly at 100,000 miles, but decided against it ultimately. They are riding great, and I'm not looking to get too deep in this car at the moment. Non-EDC coilovers will probably make it on to the car if I end up keeping it long term.
Appreciate 2
swagon13484.00
spidy512491.50
      03-30-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Over the past few weeks, I've finally collected all the parts to bump up the power output of this S55 engine. Coming from an N54 and S63TU, I've been impressed by the stock output of this inline 6. But looking forward to seeing how the car feels after installing the following:

- VRSF downpipes
- Active Autowerke EL midpipe
- BMS Elite intakes
- Mishimoto charge pipes
- 6x Delphi ignition coils
- 6x NGK 97506 spark plugs
- MHD stage 1 93 octane tune

Last edited by chadillac2000; 03-31-2022 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Yes sir, was very active on 1Addicts for about 5 years. I definitely gelled with the car, but sadly it was no M. I also didn't realize how much I missed a linear power band versus the completely on or off feel of the single turbo 135i. If you have the resources, the F10 M5 is still a great bargain for a highway cruiser. Crazy comfortable and tons of power on tap, even more so with a tune and some mods. They can still be found under $40K fairly easily.

I considered changing the shocks since they're nearly at 100,000 miles, but decided against it ultimately. They are riding great, and I'm not looking to get too deep in this car at the moment. Non-EDC coilovers will probably make it on to the car if I end up keeping it long term.
Love the F10 M5; it's a beautiful, timeless design, but already got a fast diesel coming (hopefully in the next few weeks but I tend to jinx it for myself a lot). Need a bit of a fuel range again, not more power. Stock F80 is more than enough for me.

If it's a DD, then I'd source a low-mile set of EDC dampers and do the whole CS suspension retrofit. People on here say it's a much better ride. I'm factory non-EDC.
      04-02-2022, 10:11 PM   #6
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

I spent the majority of Saturday installing all the goodies I'd been collecting since purchasing this car. Driving the car in stock form has been great, but I'd been itching to turn up the power and volume level.

First order of business was to start removing all the braces, charge pipes and intakes.

Once I had all that removed, I had full access to the 6 ignition coils and spark plugs. This is something I'm very familiar with doing after owning a ton of modded N54 cars. This process went smoothly. I made sure to use some dialectic grease with these style ignition coils as I've had them tear at the boot when removing them when I haven't in the past. The old plugs and coils still looked good, but always nice to refresh those items. Cheap too.

After the plugs were torqued down and ignition coils pressed in to place, I disconnected the primary o2 sensor harnesses so I could pull them out with the downpipes underneath. I spent the next hour disconnecting the entire exhaust including downpipes, and before long, had a clear view of the turbos; both looked healthy.

With the OEM downpipes removed, it was time to get the o2 sensors swapped over. The super-extended removal socket I have worked great.

I hand tightened the v band bolts with the catless downpipes in place and moved on to the EL midpipe. Here it is laid out beside the OEM exhaust that the previous owner had the secondary cats deleted from.

I took my time and tightened everything slowly and eventually had everything fitted properly and not rubbing on anything with plenty of clearance.

Once that was complete, the Mishimoto charge pipes and BMS Elite intakes were installed, before buttoning everything back up. The engine bay looks much better than before.

And lastly, I purchased the MHD flasher license, stage 1 map flash, and monitoring license. Using the Thor flasher module, I flashed the stage 1 93 octane tune for catless downpipes, cold start delete and mild burbles.

Sound clips and first impressions coming soon.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 04-02-2022 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      04-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #7
tajsport
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Awesome thread. Great photos and write up! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #8
BMatt88
Rep
Drives: E46m

Great read! I like what you’ve done so far
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2022, 09:07 PM   #9
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

It’s been over a week and a few hundred miles since I installed all my recent performance goodies, so I wanted to share some feedback on the combination of parts I put together.

The exhaust and intake components all went in relatively easy, and have really really transformed the driving experience. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from the VRSF downpipes, AA EL resonated midpipe and an OEM backbox, but it’s exactly what I was looking for in both tone and volume level. The intake and charge pipes put off a nice induction noise on throttle dip in, and I’m seeing clean, misfire free, MHD data logs thanks to the fresh coils and NGK 97506 plugs.

With the cold start deleted, and in efficient mode, the car sounds stock and is very stealthy in my neighborhood, something I find important in a daily driver. Turn on sport mode and things really wake up. An aggressive snarl with any increase in throttle, and it absolutely screams when opened up completely with OEM like pops and cracks on gear changes. Turn it up again to sport plus mode, and you get all of the above + aftermarket burbles to whatever you’ve loaded up on the MHD app. Having the three different exhaust modes that are changeable with efficient, sport and sport plus is a very useful feature. The S55 has a bad reputation for not sounding as good as some other sports cars, but that is all addressed with a few hardware changes. This S55 sounds intoxicating; especially rev-matching into a down shift.

The power increase from the stage 1 93 octane tune was impressive to say the least. For less than a few thousand bucks you can reach around 500HP/500TQ. In anything less than 4th gear, the 275 rear width Michelin PSS tires are holding on for dear life.

My only complaint came with the increased sensitivity to an already sensitive sport and sport plus modes. When starting from a stop in sport or sport plus modes, which I enjoyed driving in due to the increased exhaust note now, it was nearly impossible to roll off without getting the dreaded bucking bronco effect. Prior to the tune, I never had this issue. After the tune, in efficient mode, I never had the issue. Only in sport and sport plus. After doing some research, it seems that others had also experienced this problem.

I ended up reaching out to MHD through email, and over the past week have been giving them feedback as they gave me updated revisions of the stage 1 93 octane that toned down the throttle sensitivity in sport and sport plus modes. I was very impressed with the customer service of one of their tuners custom tailoring a version of their OTS tune for my liking at no charge. Now the pedal feels perfect in all modes and has a more linear feel overall, something I appreciate over the artificially front loaded pedal feel it had prior.

SOUNDS CLIPS TO COME SOON.

In the meantime, I did what I seem to always do to BMWs I buy, delete the spoiler. I’ve always enjoyed the wingless look.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 04-11-2022 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2022, 08:36 PM   #10
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Interior modifications have always been important to me since I typically spend multiple hours in the cockpit multiple times a week for work. I've always enjoyed the looks and feel of OEM BMW M Performance upgrades; even more so if they have an alcantara finish. Fortunately for me, BMW offers a plethora of different interior upgrades to upgrade an already impressive feeling interior for 2015.

This time around I went back with a full OEM BMW M Performance package that includes the backlit shift knob upgrade with alcantara boot, gloss carbon e-brake handle with alcantara boot, alcantara armrest, and full alcantara performance steering wheel with gloss carbon trim. This should really set things off and give an ultimate OEM plus feel.

Appreciate 2
      04-14-2022, 08:09 PM   #11
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

About a year ago, I decided to change up the wheels on my 2016 BMW M5. I went from the OEM 20" 343M style wheels to a set of satin black 20" BBS CH-R wheels + Michelin PS4S tires (fronts were 265/35/20 and rears were 305/30/20). When paired up with 12mm spacers all around, the fitment was exactly what I was looking for.

I was content with these for a long time before I had the opportunity to pick up a set of 20" BBS FI wheels specifically made for the F10 M5 in gloss black -- my dream wheel setup.

This meant the set of CH-R wheels were in need of a new home. This was around the same time I purchased the F80 M3, so it only made sense to see if I could make them fit. I liked the black 437M wheels, but I feel the 19" diameter looks just a tiny bit too small. Unfortunately for me, the 265/35/20 and 305/30/20 tires currently on them would not work. The 35 series aspect ratio in the front was too much and would rub, and the 305/30 rear would more than likely rub as well. this would only be exaggerated with a lowered stance. I figured I could use the existing tires on something else, so I went with a tire combination I knew would fit the F80 -- 265/30/20 and 295/30/20. After having the tires mounted, I also opted to delete the polished curb ring. It pried off easily and the adhesive underneath came off in due time with a rubber eraser wheel and a drill.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting these mounted up soon. The tires on the 437M wheels have a little bit of life left that I want to expire before making the switch, and I have an alignment scheduled at BMW this week to ensure I don't burn through the Michelin PS4S tires prematurely.

Appreciate 2
ggunn9160.00
      04-14-2022, 08:39 PM   #12
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Should have left the chrome beauty rings. Look much better with IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 02:10 PM   #13
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Today I was able to swap out the original, cracked seat emblems for the newer style versions. Removal of the leather around the top of the seat and extending the short harnesses were easier than I thought. The whole process took less than a half hour and made a huge difference.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 04-30-2022 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 03:43 PM   #14
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Comp

Looking good... what part of NC are you in?
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2022, 05:10 PM   #15
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanksevo View Post
Looking good... what part of NC are you in?
Thank you sir. Located in Asheville, NC which is in the western part of the state.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      04-30-2022, 11:15 AM   #16
Venge
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 135

Thank you for all the details and comments on your projects
Am a big fan from Quebec Canada
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2022, 05:45 PM   #17
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

I found a few hours earlier today to install some of the interior goodies I'd been collecting over the past few weeks. I'd installed steering wheels and knob/boot packages on BMWs before, so swapping in the new pieces was straightforward. First order of business was disconnecting the battery and removing the old steering wheel. This process was nearly identical to the one I performed not too long ago on my F10 M5. It's always strange seeing a car with no steering wheel.

A few Torx bolts later and I had the buttons and harness swapped over to the new steering wheel. The carbon trim alone made a huge difference on the overall look of the steering wheel.

The look inside the car was exactly how I hoped it would -- perfect.

I've removed BMW shift knobs before so I knew to pull up hard and avoid my face. Luckily no black eyes here. The final look is impressive and updated the aesthetics of the entire interior, especially with the updated seat emblems.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 04-30-2022 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-05-2022, 08:12 AM   #18
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Car looks great! Also came from a white F10 M5
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2022, 09:01 AM   #19
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
heya,

Great build! I have been in the same process for a few months myself. I was able to get a high mileage 2015 MW DCT and have not looked back.

Looking forward to more pics and some sound bites....

josh
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 10:06 PM   #20
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

I had a chance earlier today to collect some quick video and sound clips of the car in its current state.

I've logged almost 8,000 miles of seat time in a very short period and I don't have much to complain about so far. This current configuration is incredible for a daily driver: efficient with valves closed when I need to be civil leaving the neighborhood and then once I get onto the main roads I switch into sport/sport plus with valves open for more excitement and some truly incredible sounds. The combination of the catless downpipes, midpipe and valves open on the OEM muffler gives off a menacing snarl without becoming obnoxious or adding any drone under all driving conditions.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 12:20 PM   #21
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Spent Memorial Day cleaning up the fleet of cars, including the F80 M3, and ended the evening by mounting up the 20" BBS CH-R wheels and Michelin PS4S tires to replace the OEM 437M wheels as my rear tires on those were starting to get down to the wear bars.

The 20 x 9 with a 29mm offset + a 12mm spacer in the front with a 265/30/20 and the 20 x 10.5 with a 35mm offset with no spacer and a 295/30/20 rear tire fit perfectly and NO RUBBING.

I absolutely love the looks of the all satin black wheel with the curb ring removed. It reminds me of the E90/E92 359M ZCP wheel.

Appreciate 2
      06-12-2022, 06:54 PM   #22
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

As much as I had been enjoying the exhaust note since adding the VRSF catless downpipes and AA EL midpipe to the stock muffler, I had always planned to install an aftermarket valved backbox to the equation at some point. Adding the AutoTecknic carbon fiber diffuser and the larger, old style BMS exhaust tips helped enhance the looks of the stock piece, but the combo still left something to be desired. The tips stuck out a little too much in my opinion, and because of their huge size, were also rubbing on the underside of the carbon fiber diffuser, which caused audible noises at idle sometimes. Plus my OEM muffler had a nasty vibration on cold start thanks to the OEM valves, which forced me to delete the cold start all together to avoid the issue.

The Dinan valved exhaust on my F10 M5 is absolutely top notch, so I knew I wanted to get the F80 M3 version whenever possible. The black ceramic coated tip version was the one for me. Since I'd already cut the OEM muffler from the midpipe when installing the AA EL midpipe, installation was going to be a bolt on affair.

Build quality, as expected, was excellent.

Figuring out exactly how the OEM valve controllers transfer and mount over to the new muffler took more time than actual removal and installation, but eventually, with the help of their diagram, I had it figured out.

The final result, at least visually, is a huge upgrade. No more huge underhanging muffler portion to distract the eyes, and no more rattling valves on startup. And the tips fit perfectly with the AutoTecknic carbon fiber diffuser without any chance of rubbing. I will be driving the car quite a bit this week, so I should get some solid impressions to share soon.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 06-13-2022 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 5