ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-10-2022, 06:47 AM   #1
stoes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

XHP Flash better than GTS?

I've got a '18 m4 comp with bm3 tune GTS OTS trans flash, my previous e92 M3 had a different gts flash that ripped, was my favorite mod. I'm not a fan of the gts flash, albeit free..
the shifts aren't as crisp and powerful as my e92. I just started reading on Xhp and am about to purchase. I'm looking at the stage 3.
I've searched forums and YouTube and I haven't found many reviews or testimonials besides the sponsored ones .
Can anyone shed some first hand light on this product and what to expect? How does it compare to the bm3 gts flash?
My goals aren't track or draggy times, I just want a better overall feel to the way the car shifts. I drive in manual mode 95% of the time but I'd like to drive in auto occasionally. I don't bevsuse I drive always in sport plus d or s 3 and in d3 sport plus the transmission hangs way to long when I let off the gas, is a little too clunky. I don't really mind the dct clunky trans as this is my 3rd DCt, I know the drill..
Any advice positive or negative will be much appreciated!
      05-10-2022, 07:31 AM   #2
N44RP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

In for replies.

I actually preferred the crazy jerkiness of the stock tune compared to the BM3 tune.
I liked how it kicked you in the back every time you shifted. Still haven’t reverted back to stock though since BM3 is good just not “raw”
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:05 AM   #3
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

The GTS flash is fine if you are running pump gas power levels.

Once you start running on ethanol, your shifts will suffer as the DCT will be running on outside its parameters of the GTS flash due to the additional torque. As a result, your shifts will feel spongy.

The nice thing about xHP is that it is customizable as well as it's ability to increase line pressure to hold high torque levels without slip.

I'm on xHP stage 3 with custom settings, but I was previously running the GTS flash before I started dabbling in ethanol/flex fuel.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:58 AM   #4
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Bm3 uses an old version of the GTS DCT flash. Message kubax86 and ask for either the most recent GTS or CS flash and you'll notice a difference. I have the CS and it is crisp and smooth
Appreciate 1
Habs78.00
      05-10-2022, 09:34 AM   #5
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

If no engine tune, getting MHD or BM3 may be a good option to get free GTS tune. I preferred GTS over stock for its shifter and crispier shifts. If engine tune already in place, I think XHLP may be worth it for additional clamping force. I am not a datalog expert but I used to see torque limit triggering with GTS but I do not see it anymore with XHP. I also had spongy shift from 1-2 with GTS tune but that is gone with XHP as well.

I am on MHD stage 2, 91 Oct, XHP stage 2.
15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 11:28 AM   #6
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Do you need to flash back to stock or can you flash over the GTS tune?

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 11:49 PM   #7
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Stage 3 feels more like stage 1/OEM until you go to D3 which is full race car. Stage 2 at D3 feels more like GTS and with some tweaking to the shift points I have it set were the car is always in the right gear for me and my current setup. I had the MHD GTS prior and prefer the xHP.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 01:36 AM   #8
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
Do you need to flash back to stock or can you flash over the GTS tune?
You should be able to flash over the GTS tune.

Xhp will check everything before attempting to flash the TCU.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:48 PM   #9
stoes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
The GTS flash is fine if you are running pump gas power levels.

Once you start running on ethanol, your shifts will suffer as the DCT will be running on outside its parameters of the GTS flash due to the additional torque. As a result, your shifts will feel spongy.

The nice thing about xHP is that it is customizable as well as it's ability to increase line pressure to hold high torque levels without slip.

I'm on xHP stage 3 with custom settings, but I was previously running the GTS flash before I started dabbling in ethanol/flex fuel.
I'm running bm3 flex fuel e50, yeah you're right I've noticed since the added power the shifts don't have the same force they once did especially not the same as my e92 m3 gts flash. The flash on my e92 was my favorite mod, misrouted bevsuse you really can't mod the e92.. but I definitely want to give Xhp a try.
Are there any other software flashes I should look at? I really don't care about all the functionality it offers, I just want a crisp, hard shift.
Can anyone who has it chime in on the difference it made? For example going from s1 to s3 is a huge difference when shifting at redline. Is it worth the nearly $500 fir the license and package? Just a daily driver but I'm meticulous when it comes to my car, I want everything functioning at its peak performance
      05-11-2022, 05:51 PM   #10
stoes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
Stage 3 feels more like stage 1/OEM until you go to D3 which is full race car. Stage 2 at D3 feels more like GTS and with some tweaking to the shift points I have it set were the car is always in the right gear for me and my current setup. I had the MHD GTS prior and prefer the xHP.
I keep my settings either at d3 or s3 sport plus across the board. Did you feel it was worth it? I'm not concerned with the cost really, but if I spend $500 I'd like it to perform as advertised.. daily driver, e50 tune.
Thanks
      05-11-2022, 05:53 PM   #11
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoes View Post
I'm running bm3 flex fuel e50, yeah you're right I've noticed since the added power the shifts don't have the same force they once did especially not the same as my e92 m3 gts flash. The flash on my e92 was my favorite mod, misrouted bevsuse you really can't mod the e92.. but I definitely want to give Xhp a try.
Are there any other software flashes I should look at? I really don't care about all the functionality it offers, I just want a crisp, hard shift.
Can anyone who has it chime in on the difference it made? For example going from s1 to s3 is a huge difference when shifting at redline. Is it worth the nearly $500 fir the license and package? Just a daily driver but I'm meticulous when it comes to my car, I want everything functioning at its peak performance
If you want peak performance, then get xhp and flash stage 3. You'll need to play with torque reduction and torque punch. Also play with custom shift points from other users in the xhp thread.

The customizable nature of xhp is what makes the product work with YOUR car. These features aren't there because it was "nice to have", but rather, they are parameters required to be adjusted on what makes your transmission shift the best if the stock map isn't to your liking.

Appreciate 1
      05-11-2022, 05:59 PM   #12
stoes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you want peak performance, then get xhp and flash stage 3. You'll need to play with torque reduction and torque punch. Also play with custom shift points from other users in the xhp thread.

The customizable nature of xhp is what makes the product work with YOUR car. These features aren't there because it was "nice to have", but rather, they are parameters required to be adjusted on what makes your transmission shift the best if the stock map isn't to your liking.
Gotcha, I'll post what I think soon. Probably buy tomorrow. Not sure how long the wait process is to approve the license and allow me to flash.
      05-11-2022, 06:03 PM   #13
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I keep my settings either at d3 or s3 sport plus across the board. Did you feel it was worth it? I'm not concerned with the cost really, but if I spend $500 I'd like it to perform as advertised.. daily driver, e50 tune.
Thanks
Hellokitty's above answer is the answer. I feel it was worth it but prefer the feel of stage 2 instead of 3 if in D3. Stage 2 is basically a customizable GTS like flash. The stage 3 in D is about the same for D1/2 but D3 is GT4 race car like flash. Really comes down to what you are looking for. The line pressure is increased for greater clamping force and like hellokitty said, you can really adjuyit so that your flash is perfect for your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 06:08 PM   #14
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
Hellokitty's above answer is the answer. I feel it was worth it but prefer the feel of stage 2 instead of 3 if in D3. Stage 2 is basically a customizable GTS like flash. The stage 3 in D is about the same for D1/2 but D3 is GT4 race car like flash. Really comes down to what you are looking for. The line pressure is increased for greater clamping force and like hellokitty said, you can really adjuyit so that your flash is perfect for your car.
I was able to get stage 3 to shift like OEM basically.

You really need to dive into the shift maps to get it to work correctly but it can be done lol

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #15
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha, I'll post what I think soon. Probably buy tomorrow. Not sure how long the wait process is to approve the license and allow me to flash.
It should be fairly quick. Maybe 1 hour?

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 07:25 PM   #16
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was able to get stage 3 to shift like OEM basically.

You really need to dive into the shift maps to get it to work correctly but it can be done lol
I played with stage 2 to make it GTS+

I played with stage 3 and went back to 2 because I found my settings within 2-3 revisions. One day I may go back and play with the stage 3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 11:53 AM   #17
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I played with stage 3 and went back to 2 because I found my settings within 2-3 revisions. One day I may go back and play with the stage 3
xhp just released an update today for the stage 3 map (v1.3). Says it increased drivability in D mode. No update for stage 1 or 2 maps.

You might want to give it a try now

Appreciate 1
      05-12-2022, 12:37 PM   #18
DeathBear
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 18 M3

Quote:
Quote:

xhp just released an update today for the stage 3 map (v1.3). Says it increased drivability in D mode. No update for stage 1 or 2 maps.

Anyone here has tired stage 3 v1.3 yet?

I'm running stage 2 v1.2 so curious about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 12:46 PM   #19
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBear View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone here has tired stage 3 v1.3 yet?

I'm running stage 2 v1.2 so curious about it.
I'll flash it when I leave the office for lunch and report back.

Appreciate 1
      05-12-2022, 07:23 PM   #20
DrewDDS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f80 m3

Just flashed stage 3 version 1.3. I went from bm3 gts, and wow, big change! The shifts are definitely faster. Where the gts tune was choppy in moderate throttle shifts, the xHP tune is crisp and much smoother. Hard to explain the differences here, but it shifts more like the volkswagen dual clutches i've driven before - just bang on into the next gear. D3 is ludicrous, probably won't be using that very often. Keeps the rpm's close to redline. S3 is perfect for me. With the gts tune, you could feel the clutch pressure increase in stop and go traffic, and it was a bit annoying. With xHP, you don't notice the pressure increase, it's very smooth taking off/coming to a stop. Purchased license due to seeing this thread, and I'm not disappointed.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2022, 09:41 PM   #21
N44RP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Anyone know how XHP compares to Kubaxes GTS tune or software changes?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 10:26 PM   #22
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44RP View Post
Anyone know how XHP compares to Kubaxes GTS tune or software changes?
No comparison. Kuba offers a OEM solution which is great if you are around stage 1 pump gas power. Once you go go stage 2 or ethanol blends, you'll start to see shifts suffer even on kubas GTS flash.

Appreciate 0