Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: What most accurately characterizes you thus far?
I own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far love the new M4 256 42.88%
I own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far dislike the new M4 94 15.75%
I don't(haven't) own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far love the new M4 218 36.52%
I don't(haven't) own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far dislike the new M4 29 4.86%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

08-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
I have an E90 M3 and so far I am mehhh on the whole M3/M4 coming.

The Turbo engine is all or nothing and the weight loss claims are propaganda as far as I am concerned.

I've said in earlier posts this COULD be an amazing car but it has a high likelyhood of being a complete dud.

No way I'll put money down until 2-3 years so we can sort out the real truth or just BMW hot air.

Looking at the M division the M5/M6/M6GC are fat, overweight, overhyped and grossly overrated.

I dont see BMW M changing their stripes on this car....but if this is THE shit I'll admit I'm wrong.

I'll take a used GT3 in 3 years since that is a sports car. Not sure BMW M Division is making sports cars anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #24
zuschnell
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 m5, '18 991.2 gt3,

I have a 2011 e90 m3 and I love my car. I just recently started tracking it and am truly appreciating this engine and balance in a way I could not do with my previous wrx sti. What I find amazing about the e9x m3 is how reliably the s65 puts power down, never upsetting the balance of the car. Do I wish the car weighed 400lbs less? Ofcourse! But, BMW has done an amazing job hiding the car's weight when it is being pushed.

I voted that I like the f8x m3/4 so far because I like it aesthetically. Plus, Scott26 has assured us the weight will be down. I will take him for his word as he typically gives pretty accurate info. I'm worred about the FI engine as I'm worried that power delivery will not be as flat as it is from the s65, but I'm willing to wait and see what happens when people actually get to drive and review this car. For now, I'm choosing to trust BMW to do the right thing with the m3 because this is truly their halo car. It's strange for a middle price range car to be a halo car, but this is the car that really put BMW on the map and keeps it relavant.

At the end of the day, there just aren't that many cars that you can drive an hour to the track, race, drive an hour back home, strap the kids' car seats back in, and then go out for a family dinner in comfort. If I wanted the pure track car, this isn't what I'd buy. All the criticism is a little premature in my opinion, but I understand the concerns because I share them. I think we will be pleasantly surprised that BMW still knows how to build good M cars all the while conforming to all the newer government regulations.

Thanks for posting this poll Swamp! I always appreciate reading your comments/opinions.

Current: ?13 e92 m3 ESS 585, 22 f95 x5m Comp, Track - '18 manual 991.2 GT3, Wife's family truckster - '20 Volvo XC90 T8
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #25
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I think they are biased for the reason that for them to pick up an M4 would mean they would have to also pick up new debt, as you can imagine most owners LOVE their ///M and it would take more than just pictures to make them give up their baby and extra cash/monthly payments. And they are also reluctant to jump on the bandwagon so early since no pics of interior or specs have been revealed. In my opinion you at least need to sit in the car and get a good feel of it before you commit to the purchase
      08-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #26
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
It will obviously be better than the current engine in the M3, or you think engineers spent the last couple of years building a slower engine? a less efficient engine? thats just dumb
its not about it being more powerful or getting better MPG. I am not a huge fan of a Inline 6 engine. I just love the sound and high revving of the e92 m3 V8.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #27
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The thing is the second the M4 is on the streets, the M3 will take a big hit in residual value, hurry up and sell now if you're thinking about selling, 2nd i will never understand why on earth somebody would pay around 70k for 2013 M3 when they know the M4 is coming months away, i mean who buys a car in the last year of production, that is 6 years old, does that sound like a good purchase to you? just curious as to why would people do that? except for people that buys this kinds of car just because of status and has no knowledge of cars, but you're member of this forum, you're smart, thats not your case so why buy an 13 m3?
I got a m3 because i wanted one since 2009, so it had more than a performance value to me. I knew it was getting old and yes i got it on the last year of production.

i will admit, i wish i had this car in 2008 not 2013. Pretty much i agree with what you said. which is why i did a prepaid 3 year lease . I don't care about resale value and don't care about any long term problems with my car. i just enjoy it!

I will be able to pick up a M4 on second or 3rd year production. if i want, its perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
the original poster, like a lot of people, has realized that current M3 owners hate the M4 just because it makes their e9x M3 look really old
I'm sure I titled my post wrong, sort of the idea in politics that one can get any poll result with clever question asking. I certainly would not say your statement above is at all an accurate characterization of my personal belief (for me or other owners). I have not personally bothered to mentally note the rough fraction of those expressing dislike for the car who also own a current M3. Some folks have claimed that almost everyone hating is a current M3 owner/leasee. And also for me personally, both visually and from what we know of specs so far are I'm a bit disappointed. There certainly is a reasonable chance I'll (we'll) be pleasantly surprised when we know more.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #29
flightz71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i

I am going to argue many e46 owners are going to jump back in a M4 if they missed the E9X M3 boat.

I owned a 2003 LSB M3 6-spd but could not bring myself to love the E9X. It was extremely disappointing to me upon release. Dumbed down fenders, odd hood bulge, odd front bumper (not a smile, but a frown). I couldn't stand the taillighs the most, how the center trunk lights line up with the top, not the bottom of the outer light. It's a extremely fast car but that was it - much more boring to drive vs the e46 (no connection, no feeling). Similar to what e36 owners complained about when the e46 came out. Over time the car started to grow on me, and I would of picked one up (even with all the drawbacks IMO, I like modern cars) but got into the real estate thing last year.

With this new M4, we are back to our roots. Lighter weight, straight 6 (I had a JZA80 Supra Turbo before too... PHENOMENAL motors) focus on exotic M colors, and just that aggressive sporty profile. Love how the focused on making the 4 wide, that rear quarter panel is drop dead gorgeous stretched, and the tail lights can't get better. Steering wheel went back to a thin sporty style instead of a big chubby airbag. Concept was done spot on. I wish M cars went back to the "smiley" bumpers but with the lip spoiler it's not as bad.

I personally cannot with for this car, IMO it's back to e46 like roots with the latest and greatest technology! I will definitely pick one up.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #30
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

^^ Electric steering - that would really go back to it's roots!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #31
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Kill it with fire, how the hell could bmw replace a naturally aspirated monster with FI junk.

Im kidding, am i going to miss the high revving naturally aspirated engine yes thats why im not selling my e92 m3. But i would lie if i said i am not exited about the new M3/M4 and even more about the M2. I think the name change is silly but then again we are not buying a car because of a badge, we buy it because of the way it drives and looks and the M4 looks stunning. I had a chance to see a test mule F30 M3 being chased by a E90 M3 around the nurburgring this june and the e90 was working harder to keep up with the F30.

Yes its not always about how fast it goes but the excitement it produces and i wont be able to give a verdict until i drive one so all these people that are dissing the car are talking without knowing. I would love to keep my e92 m3 for at least 5 years and slowly turn it into a track/canyon/weekend toy and buy a new M2/M4/M3 for my daily driving excitement. I praise bmw for not going hybrid or awd or putting ridiculous amount of hp to compensate for a fat un athletic chassis. BMW PLEASE KEEP IT UP, and you have a customer for life.
      08-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #32
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

There are always those who have to be the first to have the latest and greatest. These people will be quick to dis the old for the new. The new M3/M4 look to be fantastic cars, but if I get one, it will likely be mid-cycle, just as I did with my e92. FWIW, I still think a well kept e46 looks very nice and only very slightly dated.

I'm curious to see what the new engine will really be like. I so love the high revving nature of the S65. Too much low rpm torque becomes a challenge to put to the ground in a RWD car. If you add AWD, then you lose steering sharpness.

There is a point at which assorted performance parameters balance out very nicely. I feel like the e9x achieves this. Hopefully, something won't be lost with the f8x.
      08-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #33
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

The M4 is going to sell like the Playstation 1 did during it's 1995 debut. (I know it's a false equivalency but you see my point) I'll get one in 3 years when they're coming off lease. By that time recalls will be fufilled.
      08-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #34
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Unfortunately my poll does not seem to reflect the number and ratio of negative posts to positive ones, especially in the big busy reveal thread. I think the negatives are much lower here than there. It would be a lot more accurate to simply tally the positives vs. negatives but that's a lot of tedious work. Oh well, it was worth a try.
Trolls always go to the biggest threads swamp
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #35
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
Trolls always go to the biggest threads swamp
Interesting point (and counterpoint). The "haters" will naturally be overrepresented in the busy threads and underrepresented here. Makes good common sense to me. Another sad thing is that even once BMW released specs, its highly likely the car will be underrated and thus the specs won't reveal the cars true performance. Luckily I'll be able to get some more more realistic result with simulation!
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #36
Nutinup
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13" AW/FR EXT E93 M3/ IND trim

Well Carlos....I actually paid less than coupe prices for my 2013 IND vert and paid it off bc I wanted the car and the V8. Had a 335i vert and turbo lag was awful...but I am sure BMW will fixed that on the M4...right? Its all about the individual. I was fortunate enough to get a great price for my 2013 and can get out of it in a few years at basically what I paid for it...unless you got the title to your car....you still a slave to tha man. So its not stupid that you could have fell for the BMW marketing ploy and purchased your F10...bc its faster...weighs less, etc, etc.... you drank the BMW marketing Kool-Aid too my friend and hence you have a M5 which I am sure you push the peddle to the max on your way to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #37
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightz71 View Post
I am going to argue many e46 owners are going to jump back in a M4 if they missed the E9X M3 boat.

I owned a 2003 LSB M3 6-spd but could not bring myself to love the E9X. It was extremely disappointing to me upon release. Dumbed down fenders, odd hood bulge, odd front bumper (not a smile, but a frown). I couldn't stand the taillighs the most, how the center trunk lights line up with the top, not the bottom of the outer light. It's a extremely fast car but that was it - much more boring to drive vs the e46 (no connection, no feeling). Similar to what e36 owners complained about when the e46 came out. Over time the car started to grow on me, and I would of picked one up (even with all the drawbacks IMO, I like modern cars) but got into the real estate thing last year.

I personally cannot with for this car, IMO it's back to e46 like roots with the latest and greatest technology! I will definitely pick one up.
funny i totally disagree with your views on the e9x m3. Although i love the E46, and can agree with you on how much of a great car it is.

I think the E46 m3 and e92 m3 engines share the same goal. both small engines that are N/A high revving. thats more of a M engine to me. So i wouldn't say its right back to roots.

but I love the e92 M3 looks. To me its got a mean looking face and aggressive body. i think the hood bulge adds something cool to it also. I love seeing that thing while driving. love it or hate it i guess.

although the e46 m3 is also a good looking car! i would never say one is not good looking.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #38
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

M4 looks nice and if i do get the f8x my e90 will be converted to a track car by then. Once in a while id take the f8x out too!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #39
flightz71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
funny i totally disagree with your views on the e9x m3. Although i love the E46, and can agree with you on how much of a great car it is.

I think the E46 m3 and e92 m3 engines share the same goal. both small engines that are N/A high revving. thats more of a M engine to me. So i wouldn't say its right back to roots.

but I love the e92 M3 looks. To me its got a mean looking face and aggressive body. i think the hood bulge adds something cool to it also. I love seeing that thing while driving. love it or hate it i guess.

although the e46 m3 is also a good looking car! i would never say one is not good looking.
Yes the only thing purists gave up is the high rev NA motor imo. Personally I was sick of reving 4k just to get around town normally via non existence torque and not get passed up by camry's . I could only really stretch the car out at the track, which was 0.001% of my ownership time. Supra killed it on the highway in fun factor and literal factor. Touge / mountain was too dangerous and narrow to really push it.

I don't know about the rest of the country but in NorCal I know plenty of owners that dumped stupid money into their e46 when the e92 was a huge let down for them. e46 is flat out more handsome, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #40
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

There are days as yesterday when I drove home in my M3 from the BMW ultimate drive event where nothing sounded as good, nothing handled as well, nothing responded as quickly, nothing had the same no nonsense driver focused cabin, nothing looked as good and no seats were as comfortable, ( not even close ) as my car when I think that it doesn't matter how good the F80 is, it's not going to be better than this.

Let's hope I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #41
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
There are days as yesterday when I drove home in my M3 from the BMW ultimate drive event where nothing sounded as good, nothing handled as well, nothing responded as quickly, nothing had the same no nonsense driver focused cabin, nothing looked as good and no seats were as comfortable, ( not even close ) as my car when I think that it doesn't matter how good the F80 is, it's not going to be better than this.

Let's hope I'm wrong.
sad days are upon us!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #42
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

I love the new M4.
I can't wait to see it in person - maybe get one
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #43
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Quote:
The thing is the second the M4 is on the streets, the M3 will take a big hit in residual value, hurry up and sell now if you're thinking about selling, 2nd i will never understand why on earth somebody would pay around 70k for 2013 M3 when they know the M4 is coming months away, i mean who buys a car in the last year of production, that is 6 years old, does that sound like a good purchase to you? just curious as to why would people do that? except for people that buys this kinds of car just because of status and has no knowledge of cars, but you're member of this forum, you're smart, thats not your case so why buy an 13 m3?
While I think the M4 has a lot to offer, it doesn't really excite me currently. I think if I was sans M3 and waiting, the excitement would be much stronger. I like the fact that I can comfortably wait several years and then decide whether to make a switch.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #44
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo
Well, I did own an E46 M3, E92 M3, and now an E82 1M

What most disturbs me;

It`s ever increasing size. While world wide downsizing is common, this car has missed that opportunity IMHO.

The engine is downsized all right, but that is half the job.

Big cars lack sportiness, big cars are more like really GT cars, nothing wrong with that, but an M3/4 could do better IMHO.

Maybe the upcoming M2 will do the job, we`ll see in time.
That's how I feel about it. I'll get an F80 some time in the future when I'm ready for a torquey bigger car. The F80 is closer to an E39 M5 successor in my mind than the E60 or F10, which makes it awesome but I want something smaller. I am very interested in finding out about an M2. That will be the enthusiasts car.
Appreciate 0