ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-23-2015, 03:16 AM   #1
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 Turbo/F82 M4/'06 Saleen

997 turbo to m4?

So I'm having a bit of a dilemma..my current daily driver is an '07 997 turbo. Black on black, 45k miles, about 20k in upgrades. The car is obviously a beast. My previous car was an e92 m3, which I loved everything minus the lack of torque. Now I've been seriously debating getting back into an m car, namely the m4, but I have a few issues. First, the dealer wants to basically steal the car from me on trade in, so that's out of the question. Also, as much as I love the power (currently on a GIAC 600 tune), living in SoCal I can barely push the car anyways as I'm in constant traffic. I haven't test driven an m4 yet but is it safe to say it's going to feel significantly slower? One of the reasons thinking of the switch is the 911 has a 6 speed and I miss the laziness of the DCT when in traffic. Also, maybe the DCT will help to minimize the acceleration gap as well? The biggest reason of thinking to switch over is going from an 8 year old car with no warranty to a brand new car is very comforting. It's nerve racking knowing that any given pull could cost me upwards of 40k! So even though the decision is ultimately mine, I'm just looking for some feedback. The creature comforts, the warranty, the m badge are all things I envy. But is it worth losing the prestige of driving the pinnacle of what many deem the ultimate motor in the ultimate drivers car? I'll sure miss the porsche if I sell it, my heart tells me to keep it but my brain is telling me otherwise. Help!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 03:33 AM   #2
m3z
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Can't say much about the power but having the peace of mind that a warranty brings is priceless and throw in the free maintenance from bmw thats another bonus. With that said I would rather have a manual transmission over the dct (and don't say traffic cuz I live in downtown loll)
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 03:36 AM   #3
Hawaii i8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i8 coupe

Garage List
I owned a 2009 Turbo. I do not miss the Turbo + I really prefer the M4's aggressive looks (But thats probably not everyones opinion) The M4 is such a modern car is every way with more performance then you could ever really use on the road + amazing refinement and technology.

As a daily driver sports car the M3/4 is absolutely unbeatable DCT, for me is the best gearbox out there today.. hands down. My Porsche in comparison felt rather dated. Now if I was going to buy a 2015 Turbo that might be a different story but that would also be $200k :-) First world problems my friend, enjoy.
      03-23-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3z View Post
Can't say much about the power but having the peace of mind that a warranty brings is priceless and throw in the free maintenance from bmw thats another bonus. With that said I would rather have a manual transmission over the dct (and don't say traffic cuz I live in downtown loll)
Hey now, I have to drive the 101/405 merger twice a day. That's gotta count for something! But downtown would be brutal..I guess at the ripe age of 27 I'm just getting lazy haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandM4 View Post
I owned a 2009 Turbo. I do not miss the Turbo + I really prefer the M4's aggressive looks (But thats probably not everyones opinion) The M4 is such a modern car is every way with more performance then you could ever really use on the road + amazing refinement and technology.

As a daily driver sports car the M3/4 is absolutely unbeatable DCT, for me is the best gearbox out there today.. hands down. My Porsche in comparison felt rather dated. Now if I was going to buy a 2015 Turbo that might be a different story but that would also be $200k :-) First world problems my friend, enjoy.
It's great to hear from someone that took the same step I'm looking at taking. If you get a chance could you give a little bit more of a comparison would love to hear! First world problems indeed, and I keep reminding myself that! I just feel like if I walk on the m4 that I'm currently looking at I'm gonna regret it, but if I do sell the turbo, everytime I pull next to one at a red light I'm gonna have a little bit of regret. But I've also never owned a brand new car, another plus going to the m4.. Decisions decisions!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Have you thought about a 991S with PDK? I have always said that the M3/M4 is damn near unbeatable for a performance oriented DD. But if you wanted to stay with Porsche, you can pick up a very slightly used 991S with PDK for upper $70's, low $80's.

I do not own an M4 (owned two E92 M3's) but did own a 997.1 Turbo a couple years ago and regret selling that car so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
Have you thought about a 991S with PDK? I have always said that the M3/M4 is damn near unbeatable for a performance oriented DD. But if you wanted to stay with Porsche, you can pick up a very slightly used 991S with PDK for upper $70's, low $80's.

I do not own an M4 (owned two E92 M3's) but did own a 997.1 Turbo a couple years ago and regret selling that car so much.
If I'm gonna stay with Porsche then it's gotta be turboed. I wish I could afford a 991 turbo but that's out of the question at the moment. Ive narrowed my search down to an m4 or keep what I got. Problem is most people go M to P, not the other way around! But warranty, DCT, 8 years of technology all look very attractive for someone that spends a lot of time in a car. Tough choice. At the end of the day I'll end up in an m4, I just don't know if I'm ready to make the switch now, or wait. And if I wait and I have some catastrophic failure (albeit highly unlikely as all my mods are safe and installed very professional) I will never forgive myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #8
Jojipoji
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/15 gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronc08 View Post
If I'm gonna stay with Porsche then it's gotta be turboed. I wish I could afford a 991 turbo but that's out of the question at the moment. Ive narrowed my search down to an m4 or keep what I got. Problem is most people go M to P, not the other way around! But warranty, DCT, 8 years of technology all look very attractive for someone that spends a lot of time in a car. Tough choice. At the end of the day I'll end up in an m4, I just don't know if I'm ready to make the switch now, or wait. And if I wait and I have some catastrophic failure (albeit highly unlikely as all my mods are safe and installed very professional) I will never forgive myself.
I have a GTR and a f80 m3 and the m3 does feel a lot slower top end but becuase torque hits faster at lower speeds/rpms it's more enjoyable to drive in traffic and around town. There are days where I prefer to drive the m3 and others the GTR so you are in a dilemma. Easy solution is get a cheap dd. if I had to pick one I'd be beside myself and would regret selling either car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

First things first, you probably should go test drive an M4.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Problem is most people go M to P, not the other way around!
I went P to M as I wanted a more subtle car and can only garage 3 cars at the moment. If I get another P it'll be a GT3 and in conjunction with my M. Regardless, I don't see why it's a "problem" what most people do. Get the car YOU want.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #11
Hawaii i8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's great to hear from someone that took the same step I'm looking at taking. If you get a chance could you give a little bit more of a comparison would love to hear! First world problems indeed, and I keep reminding myself that! I just feel like if I walk on the m4 that I'm currently looking at I'm gonna regret it, but if I do sell the turbo, everytime I pull next to one at a red light I'm gonna have a little bit of regret. But I've also never owned a brand new car, another plus going to the m4.. Decisions decisions!
Well I change cars like I change my socks so I'm probably not a good example :-) Having said that I think the Porsche is a more "special" car and is more focused on pure performance, the M3/4 is more an "all round" excellent sports/GT car. I drove the new 991 C4S Cab ($145k) and I really liked it, I just didn't like it $57K more then my M4 vert ($88k).

This is my 7th M3/4 and I've never regretted buying one, I tend to move between exotics like Ferrari back to M cars and then back to Exotics.. Porsche tends to get caught in the middle of that decision making process and I either buy a Ferrari (My heart rules the decision) or I buy an M car (My head rules). Crazy I know!!!

If this is your only car and a daily driver then the M3/4 is without doubt the best choice IMO: Get a crazy color like my AY and you instantly turn it into an exotic or stay in stealth mode with a more subtle color - your choice!! I hope this helps
      03-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandM4 View Post
Well I change cars like I change my socks so I'm probably not a good example :-) Having said that I think the Porsche is a more "special" car and is more focused on pure performance, the M3/4 is more an "all round" excellent sports/GT car. I drove the new 991 C4S Cab ($145k) and I really liked it, I just didn't like it $57K more then my M4 vert ($88k).

This is my 7th M3/4 and I've never regretted buying one, I tend to move between exotics like Ferrari back to M cars and then back to Exotics.. Porsche tends to get caught in the middle of that decision making process and I either buy a Ferrari (My heart rules the decision) or I buy an M car (My head rules). Crazy I know!!!

If this is your only car and a daily driver then the M3/4 is without doubt the best choice IMO: Get a crazy color like my AY and you instantly turn it into an exotic or stay in stealth mode with a more subtle color - your choice!! I hope this helps
From a 997 TTS owner... well said Love my Porsche, but I tend to do the same thing. I tend to switch every 6-12 months. It's getting to the point where I think I'd prefer just to have a really solid DD.
      03-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
l!ve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Garage List
I had the 997.2TT manual and now the F80 manual. It wasn't a direct swap though. I sold the 997TT for an FF way before the M3 got added to the mix. Personally, if it were 997TT manual and the M4 DCT, I would stick with the Porsche.

The M4 simply doesn't give me enough reason for a change. Unless you would like:
(1) DCT
(2) A Change
(3) Warranty
(4) Current Model
(5) Slightly Bigger Car
The only thing I do have to say is I prefer the handling of the M3 in stock form. The 997TT understeered and had the choice of bouncy or rock hard suspension in stock form.

In conclusion, if I were to buy a new M4 or used 997TT, I'd go M4. But since you already have the 997TT which is an awesome car, I would stick with it. The manual on the 997TT is very nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #14
m3z
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Quote:
Hey now, I have to drive the 101/405 merger twice a day. That's gotta count for something! But downtown would be brutal..I guess at the ripe age of 27 I'm just getting lazy haha.
Hahaha I'm turning 30 this year. But I must say I avoid the 405 as much as possible!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #15
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
First things first, you probably should go test drive an M4.
+1

Also OP, I don't know how important "new" technology is to you but the F8X has a lot of great tech. The HUD is a fantastic feature. The iDrive system has also become one of the best infotainment systems in the industry.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #16
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
So I'm having a bit of a dilemma..my current daily driver is an '07 997 turbo. Black on black, 45k miles, about 20k in upgrades. The car is obviously a beast. My previous car was an e92 m3, which I loved everything minus the lack of torque. Now I've been seriously debating getting back into an m car, namely the m4, but I have a few issues. First, the dealer wants to basically steal the car from me on trade in, so that's out of the question. Also, as much as I love the power (currently on a GIAC 600 tune), living in SoCal I can barely push the car anyways as I'm in constant traffic. I haven't test driven an m4 yet but is it safe to say it's going to feel significantly slower? One of the reasons thinking of the switch is the 911 has a 6 speed and I miss the laziness of the DCT when in traffic. Also, maybe the DCT will help to minimize the acceleration gap as well? The biggest reason of thinking to switch over is going from an 8 year old car with no warranty to a brand new car is very comforting. It's nerve racking knowing that any given pull could cost me upwards of 40k! So even though the decision is ultimately mine, I'm just looking for some feedback. The creature comforts, the warranty, the m badge are all things I envy. But is it worth losing the prestige of driving the pinnacle of what many deem the ultimate motor in the ultimate drivers car? I'll sure miss the porsche if I sell it, my heart tells me to keep it but my brain is telling me otherwise. Help!
You only live once.. time to change.. you can always go back.. but you can't move forward ...

Get the M, can you keep the 997 as your weekend toy
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 12:37 AM   #17
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
You only live once.. time to change.. you can always go back.. but you can't move forward ...

Get the M, can you keep the 997 as your weekend toy
I wish I could, only room for one car at the moment. I'm going to go and test drive the m4 in the morning with the intent to sign the papers if all goes as planned. I will report back with an update..if I sign on the dotted line, gonna be looking for a buyer for the turbo
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 12:54 AM   #18
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I wish I could, only room for one car at the moment. I'm going to go and test drive the m4 in the morning with the intent to sign the papers if all goes as planned. I will report back with an update..if I sign on the dotted line, gonna be looking for a buyer for the turbo
Just make sure you work it so you can go solo or have a good salesman. If you have the option to drive both DCT/Man vs Adapt/Standard Suspension I would

An of course drive it like you stole it, you might be surprised with the duality of the F8x.

I think it has lots of potential..

Welcome to family, and remember I was your 1st.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 01:22 AM   #19
Hawaii i8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by l!ve View Post
I had the 997.2TT manual and now the F80 manual. It wasn't a direct swap though. I sold the 997TT for an FF way before the M3 got added to the mix. Personally, if it were 997TT manual and the M4 DCT, I would stick with the Porsche.

The M4 simply doesn't give me enough reason for a change. Unless you would like:
(1) DCT
(2) A Change
(3) Warranty
(4) Current Model
(5) Slightly Bigger Car
The only thing I do have to say is I prefer the handling of the M3 in stock form. The 997TT understeered and had the choice of bouncy or rock hard suspension in stock form.

In conclusion, if I were to buy a new M4 or used 997TT, I'd go M4. But since you already have the 997TT which is an awesome car, I would stick with it. The manual on the 997TT is very nice.
Did u like the FF? My wife has been bugging me to get one for a while now because of the 4 seats - They have come down a lot in price and its a lot of car for the money (although I am not in love with the looks)
      03-24-2015, 01:28 AM   #20
StraightUpFitness
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Boss Laguna Seca

I bought a Ducati 899 to avoid LA traffic (mostly 101 and 5).

But if I had to be in a car, I think the refinement.. RWD.. low-end torque.. and 'laziness' of the M4 are so much more suitable for 405 DD purposes.

I had a Mustang Boss and Fiat 500 Abarth before. LA traffic was a nightmare. But maybe I'm just getting old (31).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 02:25 AM   #21
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightUpFitness View Post
I bought a Ducati 899 to avoid LA traffic (mostly 101 and 5).

But if I had to be in a car, I think the refinement.. RWD.. low-end torque.. and 'laziness' of the M4 are so much more suitable for 405 DD purposes.

I had a Mustang Boss and Fiat 500 Abarth before. LA traffic was a nightmare. But maybe I'm just getting old (31).
I hear ya! I also have a Supercharged Saleen S281 that I daily drove for awhile with straight pipes (that's on the market as well) and that car was a blast...when I was 23. Nothing like startin her up in the Sherman Oaks galleria parking structure and setting car alarms off like a domino effect. That car sure had a presence...with both the onlookers and the police. Definately over that stage of my life. Like you, refinement is slowly creeping up on power as far as priority. I think I started the dick measuring game at far too young an age, so now at 27 I'm already spoiled
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:44 PM   #22
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

Funny, I was going to start a new thread and saw one exists already.

For those who have driven both, how does the F80 compare to the 997.1 TT?

More background info below...

I own a bone stock, high mileage 997TT. It's an '07 coupe with 6MT, sport chrono, etc. I've had it for 2.5 years now (not driven in winter).

I got a good deal on it and I felt it was going to be perfect since I have two young boys and I could commute with it (I do school drop offs and pickups). It works ok as a commuter for me but the adaptive seats do make it hard for the kids to see and it's just not as practical as I need it to be. I sold a 987S that I loved because I never used it. The TT gets some use but not nearly enough as some of their activities require more room than that car has. Also, in the winter time, I don't get to use it all. Kids wouldn't fit back there with all their snow gear anyway.

I'm considering selling it this or next year and getting a '17 M3 in the spring of 2017 through ED. I've done ED twice - in '03 on one of the first Imola ZHP's, and in '11 on an M-sport, RWD, MT 328iT. Those 3er's always made me happy. Sure, they were short on power, but they were great DDs, with tons of practicality.
Appreciate 0