BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #1
Playclub
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 CS SMB Instagram:@playclubb

Question with Pairing An Armytrix Axleback with AA EL midpipe

I've been looking all over the internet but cant find the answer, even called active autowerke but no one can give me a yes or no to my question.

Basically I currently have a m4 cs with a catback armytrix exhaust, im looking upgrade to the active autowerke equal length midpipe resonated version and want to pair it with my armytrix axleback and get catless downpipes.

Does anyone know if the Armytrix axleback can fit directly onto the aa el midpipe or does some modding need to be done? Or does anyone on here have this setup?

From pictures i can see that the armytrix axleback should line up with the aa el midpipe but my concern is with the brackets that seem to be welded onto the armytrix axleback, i dont think those are removable and it doesnt seem like the aa el midpipe has those brackets for mounting, is there any solution to this maybe?

I dont really want to cut up the armytrix or the aa el midpipe just so it can fit as it would de value both part.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 12:12 AM   #2
Tdog86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3   [9.50]
2016 bmw m3  [0.00]
One option is to cut the armytrix exhaust 2 bolt flange off. But doing this it might not line up with the aa equal length piping or the piping could be different sizes and the couplers that come with aa won't work. The second other option, but it doesn't look like it would work because it seems like there's no room but you never know unless you do it lol. You would need to buy something like this or have it custom made. You would connect the flange/pipe combo to the exhaust, flange to flange and then to the aa mid pipe with a exhaust coupler, pipe to pipe. If there's room?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 02:25 AM   #3
Playclub
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog86 View Post
One option is to cut the armytrix exhaust 2 bolt flange off. But doing this it might not line up with the aa equal length piping or the piping could be different sizes and the couplers that come with aa won't work. The second other option, but it doesn't look like it would work because it seems like there's room but you never know unless you do it lol. You would need to buy something like this or have it custom made. You would connect the flange/pipe combo to the exhaust, flange to flange and then to the aa mid pipe with a exhaust coupler, pipe to pipe. If there's room?
Hmm that seems like a interesting way of making it work, ive also asked someone who had success in pairing the aa el midpipe with a akraprovic rear and he told me that the best solution is the go to a exhaust shop and have them make a custom pipe that would fit the aa el midpipe to the axleback of the armytrix, as the midpipe comes with extensions from AA and that those can be cut or modified in order to fit the axleback of the armytrix, but i have no experience in any of these exhaust mods since in the past everything i bought is plug and play. what do you think of this solution?

Thanks for the reply btw!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
Tdog86
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3   [9.50]
2016 bmw m3  [0.00]
Another's option is to see if you can find or aa would sell you there ball flange and clamp so you can have an exhaust shop make you a back section from where it goes around the differential to muffler. Replace the two left pipes and have a custom section made at an exhaust shop. But you would need those exhaust ball joints/clamps from aa or where they get it from. Click on picture to see full image. See if you can buy the parts (aa ball joint connection) if so you can buy the exhaust and have a shop do it this way. This way it would work for sure but it would cost you more to get 2 custom pipes made. You only need the 2 pieces on the left side on the top that's on the picture (ball joint/flange) and custom section made and maybe a pipe to pipe couplers if the aa ones doesn't work. I think this is the most realistic way of making work. But the other way could also but it looks to tight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
Playclub
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Another's option is to see if you can find or aa would sell you there ball flange and clamp so you can have an exhaust shop make you a back section from where it goes around the differential to muffler. Replace the two left pipes and have a custom section made at an exhaust shop. But you would need those exhaust ball joints/clamps from aa or where they get it from. Click on picture to see full image. See if you can buy the parts (aa ball joint connection) if so you can buy the exhaust and have a shop do it this way. This way it would work for sure but it would cost you more to get 2 custom pipes made. You only need the 2 pieces on the left side on the top that's on the picture (ball joint/flange) and custom section made and maybe a pipe to pipe couplers if the aa ones doesn't work. I think this is the most realistic way of making work. But the other way could also but it looks to tight.
Yeah i think the best way is to find a exhaust shop in my local area to make a custom extension pipe (the ones on the left of the picture you attached) that would fit onto the rear of the armytrix. Do you think something like that would be alot of work or very expensive?

I live in canada so getting AA to make me something would be pretty impossible since i cant get my car to them nor did they have anyone that did this pairing already.

If this solution doesnt work, its probably better for me to sell this whole armytrix system and get some money back and buy a remark or remus axleback (since they are basically plug and play with the aa el midpipe based on my research) and just pair it with the aa el midpipe.

But i think the only way to get started is to get the aa el midpipes first and take it to a shop to see if there is a solution first lol. Might've played myself when i first got this armytrix exhaust but it is what it is haha.

I was hoping someone wouldve done this pairing already but i guess if i can make this work it would be the first

The armytrix is the most highpitched unequal length exhaust for the s55 imo thats why i thought it would be a crazy pairing but this theory might not be valid since that sound probably comes from the armytrix midpipes anyways more so than from the axleback

Thanks for the insight though
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playclub View Post
Yeah i think the best way is to find a exhaust shop in my local area to make a custom extension pipe (the ones on the left of the picture you attached) that would fit onto the rear of the armytrix. Do you think something like that would be alot of work or very expensive?

I live in canada so getting AA to make me something would be pretty impossible since i cant get my car to them nor did they have anyone that did this pairing already.

If this solution doesnt work, its probably better for me to sell this whole armytrix system and get some money back and buy a remark or remus axleback (since they are basically plug and play with the aa el midpipe based on my research) and just pair it with the aa el midpipe.

But i think the only way to get started is to get the aa el midpipes first and take it to a shop to see if there is a solution first lol. Might've played myself when i first got this armytrix exhaust but it is what it is haha.

I was hoping someone wouldve done this pairing already but i guess if i can make this work it would be the first

The armytrix is the most highpitched unequal length exhaust for the s55 imo thats why i thought it would be a crazy pairing but this theory might not be valid since that sound probably comes from the armytrix midpipes anyways more so than from the axleback

Thanks for the insight though
Take your car to Hot Rod Scott:

https://hotrodscotts.ca/

Call them first and tell them what you want done. They do a lot of custom exhausts. You can watch them bend and shape pipes all day! Price is excellent as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #7
Playclub
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
Take your car to Hot Rod Scott:

https://hotrodscotts.ca/

Call them first and tell them what you want done. They do a lot of custom exhausts. You can watch them bend and shape pipes all day! Price is excellent as well.
yup this is exactly the shop i was thinking!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #8
Tdog86
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3   [9.50]
2016 bmw m3  [0.00]
The cost depends on the quality of work you want and materials. If you just want something cheap, steal pipe and some mig welds it will be cheaper around 200 here. If you want all stainless and tig welds around 400+. Most exhaust shops only mig weld.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #9
Playclub
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The cost depends on the quality of work you want and materials. If you just want something cheap, steal pipe and some mig welds it will be cheaper around 200 here. If you want all stainless and tig welds around 400+. Most exhaust shops only mig weld.
I think i'd probably just go for the same material as the aa el midpipe which is stainless steel i believe. Should be okay
Appreciate 0