GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

09-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #67
Mikecom32
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 ZCP 6MT, '05 330xi 6MT,

Wow, all for only $3k? What airline did you fly with?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #68
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

This is fantastic! Looking and reading this urged my wife and I to sit down last night(with some prosecco and cured meat ) and review/re-live our Euro experience from June. We have so many of the same photos! Such a great time. We do love Munich as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
So, what do I think of the car?

First, the options: YMB, extended black leather, adjustable suspension, Harmon Kardon, manual transmission, 19" silver/gray rims.

In comparison with my 335 (and E46, and 2002tii...), the F80 seems large. Seating position higher. Greenhouse reduced, less visibility out windshield. I miss the sunroof. The Harmon Kardon is excellent; the NAV freaking awesome with the Euro maps loaded directly into the computer. The ride and the limits are amazing, but in some ways less engaging to drive. Adaptive suspension is astonishing in its ability to keep everything under control. The clutch is seamless; the LSD brilliant. I prefer the rough M steering wheel on my 335 to the smooth wheel on the M3. Seats are still undecided; I love the way the side bolsters can really hold you in on the 335. I think I should have opted for the Speed cloth, it's a better fit for my needs. The M3 is rather noisy at high speeds, and I have not decided what I think about the exhaust brrratttle. The manual transmission is fine, the rev matching OK once you get accustomed. The gear knob is not my favorite, and too high. The turning radius is less than nimble. Some have suggested that the F8x is a bit more M5-like in character; I tend to agree. It does hide its super-car abilities from one's senses -- it was a bit surprising to handle high speed curves with relative ease whilst all around the Alfas, Peugeots, and the lot of Gran Prix wannabes were squirming and sliding at their more earthly limits.

It is arguably the ultimate multi-purpose high performance vehicle.

Oh yeah, and Yas Marina Blue is all right. It got tons of positive comments from bystanders. It stands out in a friendly sort of way.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #69
angelc5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 Z3, 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.00]
2000 BMW Z3  [0.00]
Looks like a great trip.

2000 Z3 2.3
2011 328
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #70
The English Guy
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F80 MW M3 / Cohiba

One day I will do this...Great trip, thanks for sharing.

Side note
Quote:
Sweet 507 at the museum.
Elvis presley's car - used to be white and due a full restoration by BMW

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/24/e...-photos-video/
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #71
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

fantastic! you always have awesome pics! congrats on the ride my friend

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #72
azula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecom32 View Post
I would like to know this as well. As others have said, my wife is still skeptical even after I've shown her the savings of having an Euro Delivery! "There's nothing to do in Germany" she says, LOL. I have a few questions, what would the experienced EDers recommend for a first time newbie? I'd like to stay over there 4 to 5 days so I'm thinking of staying in the Munich area for this trip. Also, what do you guys think about the "BMW Travel Packages"? and what are the cost of those? Sorry for the 18 questions, just trying to get a grasp of this so I sound like I know what I'm talking about when I present it to my wife.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #73
OverDriven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecom32 View Post
Check his earlier post. It was around $3K EACH, $6K total.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #74
Mikecom32
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 ZCP 6MT, '05 330xi 6MT,

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
Check his earlier post. It was around $3K EACH, $6K total.
Missed that later post. In the original post he said:

Quote:
My third ED. Total cost of trip including airfare, hotels, 100 octane fuel, tolls, meals, etc. = about 3k (less than ED savings)
and I assumed that was for the both of them, since he said "total".

$6000 seems a lot more realistic for two. Hell, round trip airfare costs nearly $3k for two people!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #75
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Yup, sorry for the misinterpretation, friend paid her way, so I was just referring to my costs. But we did not scrimp; nice hotels & airbnbs, awesome restaurants. For sure you could do it for less. Airfare was $1275 RT from Columbia MO to MUC, which is a good price for August high season. There are cheap fares off season.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #76
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post
I would like to know this as well. As others have said, my wife is still skeptical even after I've shown her the savings of having an Euro Delivery! "There's nothing to do in Germany" she says, LOL. I have a few questions, what would the experienced EDers recommend for a first time newbie? I'd like to stay over there 4 to 5 days so I'm thinking of staying in the Munich area for this trip. Also, what do you guys think about the "BMW Travel Packages"? and what are the cost of those? Sorry for the 18 questions, just trying to get a grasp of this so I sound like I know what I'm talking about when I present it to my wife.
Have a blast planning it out. The internet is your friend. If only 4-5 days, maybe find good airbnb, take day trips to Neuschwanstein, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, etc. Do summer toboggan slides, alpine hikes, river surfing, museums, biergartens, ... Bavaria is awesome!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #77
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
fantastic! you always have awesome pics! congrats on the ride my friend
Thanks! Need to get you over there more often!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #78
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woltersjason View Post
Small world, Clayton at Machens was telling me not too long ago someone is doing a YMB M3 ED through them, I was curious if I'd see it on here. Congrats on the M3!
Just saw a YMB superman M4 on campus, 'ni baba'
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #79
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Thanks! Need to get you over there more often!
yes you are def correct on that one!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #80
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Wow fantastic trip you have planned! Don't forget to order free ED limo from MUC to hotel. Take the U-bahn to Mariensplatz and cruise around in the afternoon. There will be a ton of energy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
Great info, thanks for sharing. I am happy you had such a good time.

We didn't realize it when we planned the trip, but we will be flying into Munich right in the middle of Octoberfest. We land Wednesday morning and plan to explore Munich. Hotel is in the Olympic park, 850 meters away from BMW (not planned btw, just lucky). Pick up the car Thursday afternoon and plan on spending most of that day with BMW. We leave to Fussen on Friday, then two days in Lucerne, Switzerland. From Lucerne we drive to Paris where I have a conference Oct 1 & 2. That is where the car will get dropped off, hopefully will be back home safe by Dec 1st.

I really wanted to stay in Salzburg Austria but couldn't squeeze in the time. I guess we can save that for ED #2 many years away.

I also read your review and while it was very informative, it didnt seem like you LOVED the car. Did I get the wrong vibe or is it not what you expected?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #81
Pharmacist_
Straight outta Loca$h
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 f80 M3 '13 f25 x3 35

Quote:
Wow fantastic trip you have planned! Don't forget to order free ED limo from MUC to hotel. Take the U-bahn to Mariensplatz and cruise around in the afternoon. There will be a ton of energy!
Stressdoc, can you give more info on how to secure the ED limo? Our ED is in October, will be arriving on Sunday and would love to take the limo from airport to hotel. There are 5 of us, so hoping they can bring a big enough ride.

On another note, loved reading about your trip. My 335i was an ED, but didn't have time to drive around. This time we'll be spending the week with stops in Garmisch, Lake Como (via Stelvio Pass), and Lake Konstanz. Not looking forward to the tight roads in Lake Como, but got the cameras so hoping I can get through unscathed. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #82
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Wow amazing trip (esp Portofino).. and car. Congrats on the new ride!

Thanks for sharing !
      09-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #83
woltersjason
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by woltersjason View Post
Small world, Clayton at Machens was telling me not too long ago someone is doing a YMB M3 ED through them, I was curious if I'd see it on here. Congrats on the M3!
Just saw a YMB superman M4 on campus, 'ni baba'
A friend of mine actually sent me a picture of that the other day
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #84
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Good luck and thanks for an honest review...Yas blue seems to photograph better in the shade but really can't decide on like or no like.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #85
rkr1214
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black Comp F82

Quote:
stressdoc, I will def have to talk to you about the places to go when I do it next year! Great car, nice color and great pics! Congrats and enjoy!

Last edited by rkr1214; 09-04-2014 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #86
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Amazing trip, great pics! I'm in the early stages of planning my itinerary for a next September ED/Oktoberfest trip.

I kinda got the impression, as one of the earlier posters did, that you weren't particularly wowed by the car. I know there are a lot of future and present owners on here, and don't want to try and cast any doubt on their purchases, but your impression of the car seemed luke warm.

I'm debating back and forth between the M235i and M3/4. I've driven both, but neither in MT. Compared to the E92 M3 with MT that i've driven the F82 with the DCT seemed like a beast. Thing is, i'm a manual kinda guy. Wondering if the DCT makes that much of a difference in how the F82 feels. Thoughts?

As for my ED, current plan is wife and I arrive early september in Munich>Salzburg>Hallstatt>grossglockner>Stelvio>Ro mantic road>Cologne>Bruges>Nurburgring and finally back to Munich for the first few days of Oktoberfest. 17-19 days total with a few two night stays in several places for recuperation.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:27 AM   #87
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I don't intend to sound 'luke-warm' about the M3. I love the car, it is incredible. It is immensely more competent than my 335, but seems a bit more 'isolated' from road feel -- this may just take some time for me to dial in the feedback. I think that the manual tranny helps make the car seem more connected to one's nerve endings; you are more involved in what it is doing, and you can feel its heartbeat. It looks great inside and out. It is scary fast.

In deciding between M235 and F8x, the F8x wins easily for me because the chassis is so much better. The limited slip differential on this new M3 is superlative -- together with the chassis and suspension, this is what separates it from the pack and puts it in super-car category. For its price level the M235 is outstanding. As a DD the M235 is smaller and more sensitive. Both are great cars, best in their respective categories; just designed for different targets.

It is more similar to the M5 than in the past. The driving experience seems a bit 'solid' and less nimble. It is not a Lotus. Its limits are really high, beyond my abilities. What sums it up best for me was how it seemed almost effortless to drive with the Alfas in the twisties on the autostrada who were sliding around in a more 'organic' driving experience.

I still need the utility of a four door sedan. But when (if?) the Z2M comes out, I will be drooling. And planning the next ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #88
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

In general you can contact the European Delivery folks at BMWUSA, they are fantastic.
----------------------------------------------
BMW Group
Special Sales
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677

Phone: (800) 932- 0831
Fax: (201) 307- 9320
eMail: bmweuropeandelivery@bmwna.com

To book the ED Limo:
To make your reservations please contact Sixt Customer Service by Email: BMW-EDPshuttle@sixt.com or Telephone: +49 89 210 310 02, providing the following information:

• First and Last Name
• Date and time of arrival in Munich
• Airline and Flight Number
• Number of Guests traveling

Also good to provide:

Your M3 Production Number and your Cell#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmacist_ View Post
Stressdoc, can you give more info on how to secure the ED limo? Our ED is in October, will be arriving on Sunday and would love to take the limo from airport to hotel. There are 5 of us, so hoping they can bring a big enough ride.

On another note, loved reading about your trip. My 335i was an ED, but didn't have time to drive around. This time we'll be spending the week with stops in Garmisch, Lake Como (via Stelvio Pass), and Lake Konstanz. Not looking forward to the tight roads in Lake Como, but got the cameras so hoping I can get through unscathed. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0