Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #1
Sam Vejvoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 228i

PLEASE HELP! TCU or bad battery?

My car has been experiencing battery drain and and will die in about a couple days. My speakers are popping even with car turned off.. my tail lights will randomly turn on also. I also have an SOS warning light on. I am not sure if this is my battery or TCU. I really need my car up and running and don't want to take it into the dealer! I tried to bypass the data lite radio with fiber optic but it didn't work. There is also a cord that is under the steering wheel that is supposed to be flashing red to tell you if the TCU is in good condition.. and it is not red. Please help! Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 01:30 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Unplug any accessories or hard-wired radar detectors. Get the fuse map from under the lid in the trunk. Check EACH of the fuse boxes for blown fuses, the car has a few fuse panels. Also check that the right Amperage fuse is in the correct slots, and no one mixed them up. If the problem is still there maybe remove the fuse for the entertainment system (to shut down the radio circuit) and see if the speaker pops stop.

When you said TCU (trans control unit?) did you mean the DME (main computer)?

There are other spots that have "electronic modules" like the FEM, which have non-replaceable fuses inside. Those are harder to diagnose.
      10-13-2022, 01:44 PM   #3
Sam Vejvoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Unplug any accessories or hard-wired radar detectors. Get the fuse map from under the lid in the trunk. Check EACH of the fuse boxes for blown fuses, the car has a few fuse panels. Also check that the right Amperage fuse is in the correct slots, and no one mixed them up. If the problem is still there maybe remove the fuse for the entertainment system (to shut down the radio circuit) and see if the speaker pops stop.

When you said TCU (trans control unit?) did you mean the DME (main computer)?

There are other spots that have "electronic modules" like the FEM, which have non-replaceable fuses inside. Those are harder to diagnose.
I was referring to the telematics control unit. I heard when those go bad they can drain the battery and cause the SOS light to come on. I will also try and jump my car but it won't jump. The battery will be completely dead but I'll leave it hooked up for like 15 minutes and the car still won't even start. I brought the battery in to Auto Zone and they said it was a good battery… but I still have my doubts.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 06:51 PM   #4
Jwild90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04'E46ZHP 20' F82M4Comp

Do a parasitic draw test. Very easy to do, just takes time to pull one fuse at a time and reading the amperage on voltmeter.

Obviously start from common items that typically cause battery drain issue like comfort access, tcu since u do have sos fault etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 01:53 PM   #5
Sam Vejvoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwild90 View Post
Do a parasitic draw test. Very easy to do, just takes time to pull one fuse at a time and reading the amperage on voltmeter.

Obviously start from common items that typically cause battery drain issue like comfort access, tcu since u do have sos fault etc.
How do I turn comfort access off? I do not have a screen
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 09:51 AM   #6
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Have your battery tested. Can’t do any worthwhile electronics troubleshooting with a bad battery.
Appreciate 0