Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
ramuman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

My quick thoughts on the M4

As a quick bit of background, I was one of the people that did the organized group ED (http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...=999447&page=5). I'm not a professional driver (we had 2 sponsored drivers in the group and of course the RSR folks who would be better to talk about details). I'm also not a professional reviewer (which might be a good thing because I won't just spit back the spec sheet ).

EDIT: To give credit where it's due. Here is a review from one of those people that gets to spank these around a bit more than the average person - karussell who was part of our group: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1005166

I currently have a comp pack E92 M and have been fortunate to spank around several of the recent M cars. However, at the end of the day I'm just a car enthusiast who jumped on this opportunity.

I'm not going to compare it to the 981 GTS or the 991 C2S or the C7 since I don't own a flame suit . I'm fully aware of what this car is and I'll call it a 2+2 GT car.

Exterior:

I picked BSM because I didn't like some of the lines other colors brought out in the rear bumper. Also, as I joke, I'm a pretty boring guy. In all honesty, every color looked great. My guilty pleasure would be SO on this car. I'd seen the car in person before and I think many people here have as well, so I won't add much. I think I need to give it time to see if it'll age as well as the E92 has.

Interior and other options:

The fit and finish are finally befitting a car of this price. My E92 drives me nuts because there are blank buttons, even extended leather doesn't cover the full dash and gaps in panels aren't quite right.

The ergonomics are great for the most part. Again since it's basically an F32 with a different steering wheel and seats on the inside, there isn't much else to add here. I do wish it had adjustable leg bolsters and the seat butler is now replaced by a little hook so you have to reach a bit farther back to get the belt.

Also, the F82's contrast stitching is tasteful and particularly pops on the less bland interior colors like SO and SS.

The LED front lights are great - better looking and performing than Audi's. They have a brilliant beam shaping feature that everyone who had them loved on the twisty roads. However, it's disappointing that for the third time in a row, BMW will make us wait for an LCI to make all the rear lights LED. I also overheard BMW will code out some of the beam shaping stuff when the cars come back stateside. Again, the rear fog light bulbs are there, but the button is blanked out for US spec cars.

The HK stereo is surprisingly pleasant. I'm a bit of an audiophile, so you'll probably never hear me call a car stereo great. However, I actually think it's better than the B&O in the F10, likely because the grilles are so open.

Steering:

I had an F10 5 for a few months as a company car and the EPS drove me nuts. Auto-unwind was terrible. The feedback was terrible. Everything about it made me worried. BMW nailed the F82's EPS. I'd put it ahead of the hydraulic E92 system. On every type of road we drove on, it was spot on in all three of it's settings. My impression was that the lightest setting is lighter than the E92 and the heaviest is heavier - but the feeling is great.

Transmission:

I opted for the DCT again. It's a Getrag DCT. I don't think on any forum, I've ever a heard complaint about the performance - let's wait on reliability . It's marginally better than the Getrag 7DCI it replaces - this might also be partially helped by the different gear ratios enabled by the engine putting out considerably more torque. As with the F10/12, you only have 3 shift options, and since I only use 2 of the 5 in D and S modes currently, I found no issues. It has some quirks that I'll have to get used to. I currently put my DCT in neutral before setting the parking brake and turning off the car (perhaps a habit from my manual days). The F82 has a mechanical parking brake and requires the car to be in a gear before being parked.

For the manual guys, I had very limited time to play with one. However the gating and shifting felt perceptively better than the E92. Maybe there is still time left for you guys to start F8x 6MT threads when you're not hosing kids off your lawn.

Engine:

Again, I'm going to be a realist. BMW could've made a direct injected S65 and people would've found a way to complain. They could've tried to cram a less powerful S63tu in there and people would've complained.

The S55 doesn't have the induction noise of the S65. It doesn't wind out to 8,400. However, the entire thing sounds better than the S63tu from the blowoff valve noise to the exhaust. YouTube videos don't quite do the exhaust note justice - but you will have to be ready for a throatier turbo'ed engine. However, I'm not complaining because of the benefits it brought.

Also, Active Sound is noticeably less intrusive than on the F10 M. You can clearly tell where the artificial sound is coming from in the F10 M. It's much more subtle with the F82.

This is a much easier car to drive day to day than the engine it replaces, and a bit more fuel efficient (though at Euro gas prices, I didn't even want to look at the gas station receipts). As Chris Harris said, I'd get the car because of the engine, not in spite of it. I will miss the S65, however, I'm also aware that it's an engine from an era that doesn't exist anymore. We have to remember that development on the S85 began more than a decade ago.

Brakes:

I opted for the CCBs and never drove the compound ones. However, everyone that drove with me told me the CCBs bit noticeably harder. Also, aesthetically, I think they finally make an M3/4 look like it has proper brakes - I believe BMW developed these with Brembo and they have a subtly different crack/grain pattern than Porsche's and Akebono's. They also anonyingly squeak when cold - like Porsche's and Akebono's.

Traction control and suspension

I've seen a thread or two pop-up regarding traction control. My initial thoughts would be that I found MDM mode to be slightly more intrusive than my E92. However, I also have Euro MDM on the E92. MDM still allows for quite a bit of slip. I'll save the action for when the videos are uploaded in the other thread. If you can't get this car sideways, you're doing it wrong.

Suspension wise, I can't say I really noticed the weight difference. However the car monitors more parameters now (or so they say), so it at least subjectively makes the M adaptive suspension feel better. I never use the stiffest EDC mode on my E92, but I could see doing so on the F82 for what it's worth.

Final thoughts:

The trip overall was amazing and I just felt fortunate that I got to spend 1,200+ miles in my M4 in all sorts of locations. It also made me appreciate the car for what it actually is. There were couples who could fit all their luggage in for a multi-week trip. There were 3 guys in one car with a lot of camera equipment. We visited 3 tracks, drove up a frighteningly narrow hill to a castle, on the unlimited parts of the autobahn, and to several restaurants. It never once felt out of place.

I don't know if the next AMG C or the RS5 or the CTS-V or insert the current fad car will beat this car, but for now, I think it's silly to pick on this car because it is as close to a complete 2+2 GT car as I've seen.

Last edited by ramuman; 07-05-2014 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
As a quick bit of background, I was one of the people that did the organized group ED (http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...=999447&page=5). I'm not a professional driver (we had 2 sponsored drivers in the group and of course the RSR folks who would be better to talk about details). I'm also not a professional reviewer (which might be a good thing because I won't just spit back the spec sheet ).

I currently have a comp pack E92 M and have been fortunate to spank around several of the recent M cars. However, at the end of the day I'm just a car enthusiast who jumped on this opportunity.

I'm not going to compare it to the 981 GTS or the 991 C2S or the C7 since I don't own a flame suit . I'm fully aware of what this car is and I'll call it a 2+2 GT car.

Exterior:

I picked BSM because I didn't like some of the lines other colors brought out in the rear bumper. Also, as I joke, I'm a pretty boring guy. In all honesty, every color looked great. My guilty pleasure would be SO on this car. I'd seen the car in person before and I think many people here have as well, so I won't add much. I think I need to give it time to see if it'll age as well as the E92 has.

Interior and other options:

The fit and finish are finally befitting a car of this price. My E92 drives me nuts because there are blank buttons, even extended leather doesn't cover the full dash and gaps in panels aren't quite right.

The ergonomics are great for the most part. Again since it's basically an F32 with a different steering wheel and seats on the inside, there isn't much else to add here. I do wish it had adjustable leg bolsters and the seat butler is now replaced by a little hook so you have to reach a bit farther back to get the belt.

Also, the F82's contrast stitching is tasteful and particularly pops on the less bland interior colors like SO and SS.

The LED front lights are great - better looking and performing than Audi's. They have a brilliant beam shaping feature that everyone who had them loved on the twisty roads. However, it's disappointing that for the third time in a row, BMW will make us wait for an LCI to make all the rear lights LED. I also overheard BMW will code out some of the beam shaping stuff when the cars come back stateside. Again, the rear fog light bulbs are there, but the button is blanked out for US spec cars.

The HK stereo is surprisingly pleasant. I'm a bit of an audiophile, so you'll probably never hear me call a car stereo great. However, I actually think it's better than the B&O in the F10, likely because the grilles are so open.

Steering:

I had an F10 5 for a few months as a company car and the EPS drove me nuts. Auto-unwind was terrible. The feedback was terrible. Everything about it made me worried. BMW nailed the F82's EPS. I'd put it ahead of the hydraulic E92 system. On every type of road we drove on, it was spot on in all three of it's settings. My impression was that the lightest setting is lighter than the E92 and the heaviest is heavier - but the feeling is great.

Transmission:

I opted for the DCT again. It's a Getrag DCT. I don't think on any forum, I've ever a heard complaint about the performance - let's wait on reliability . It's marginally better than the Getrag 7DCI it replaces - this might also be partially helped by the different gear ratios enabled by the engine putting out considerably more torque. As with the F10/12, you only have 3 shift options, and since I only use 2 of the 5 in D and S modes currently, I found no issues. It has some quirks that I'll have to get used to. I currently put my DCT in neutral before setting the parking brake and turning off the car (perhaps a habit from my manual days). The F82 has a mechanical parking brake and requires the car to be in a gear before being parked.

For the manual guys, I had very limited time to play with one. However the gating and shifting felt perceptively better than the E92. Maybe there is still time left for you guys to start F8x 6MT threads when you're not hosing kids off your lawn.

Engine:

Again, I'm going to be a realist. BMW could've made a direct injected S65 and people would've found a way to complain. They could've tried to cram a less powerful S63tu in there and people would've complained.

The S55 doesn't have the induction noise of the S65. It doesn't wind out to 8,400. However, the entire thing sounds better than the S63tu from the blowoff valve noise to the exhaust. YouTube videos don't quite do the exhaust note justice - but you will have to be ready for a throatier turbo'ed engine. However, I'm not complaining because of the benefits it brought.

Also, Active Sound is noticeably less intrusive than on the F10 M. You can clearly tell where the artificial sound is coming from in the F10 M. It's much more subtle with the F82.

This is a much easier car to drive day to day than the engine it replaces, and a bit more fuel efficient (though at Euro gas prices, I didn't even want to look at the gas station receipts). As Chris Harris said, I'd get the car because of the engine, not in spite of it. I will miss the S65, however, I'm also aware that it's an engine from an era that doesn't exist anymore. We have to remember that development on the S85 began more than a decade ago.

Brakes:

I opted for the CCBs and never drove the compound ones. However, everyone that drove with me told me the CCBs bit noticeably harder. Also, aesthetically, I think they finally make an M3/4 look like it has proper brakes - I believe BMW developed these with Brembo and they have a subtly different crack/grain pattern than Porsche's and Akebono's. They also anonyingly squeak when cold - like Porsche's and Akebono's.

Traction control and suspension

I've seen a thread or two pop-up regarding traction control. My initial thoughts would be that I found MDM mode to be slightly more intrusive than my E92. However, I also have Euro MDM on the E92. MDM still allows for quite a bit of slip. I'll save the action for when the videos are uploaded in the other thread. If you can't get this car sideways, you're doing it wrong.

Suspension wise, I can't say I really noticed the weight difference. However the car monitors more parameters now (or so they say), so it at least subjectively makes the M adaptive suspension feel better. I never use the stiffest EDC mode on my E92, but I could see doing so on the F82 for what it's worth.

Final thoughts:

The trip overall was amazing and I just felt fortunate that I got to spend 1,200+ miles in my M4 in all sorts of locations. It also made me appreciate the car for what it actually is. There were couples who could fit all their luggage in for a multi-week trip. There were 3 guys in one car with a lot of camera equipment. We visited 3 tracks, drove up a frighteningly narrow hill to a castle, on the unlimited parts of the autobahn, and to several restaurants. It never once felt out of place.

I don't know if the next AMG C or the RS5 or the CTS-V or insert the current fad car will beat this car, but for now, I think it's silly to pick on this car because it is as close to a complete 2+2 GT car as I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16F80,TR6,Defender,PA23-250T

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great review! What was the name of the castle with the narrow hill road? I would love to go there on my ED!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
ramuman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
Great review! What was the name of the castle with the narrow hill road? I would love to go there on my ED!
Thanks, the castle was Kerpen Castle. Make sure to figure out exactly where it is, it's a bit difficult to locate at night.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Great review, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

I thought the F10 M5 had hydraulic steering?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

awesome review!
      07-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #8
ramuman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I thought the F10 M5 had hydraulic steering?
My company car was an F10 528i - I should've clarified. It was my first and only real experience with BMW's EPS until now. I did drive both the M5 and 6 at M School and never had an issue with their hydraulic steering.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
My company car was an F10 528i - I should've clarified. It was my first and only real experience with BMW's EPS until now. I did drive both the M5 and 6 at M School and never had an issue with their hydraulic steering.
Ahh, got it, thanks. Nice review too btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Thanks for the review good read

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Oh I love you OP! Might you ascribe your signature on my shirt for me? I am a fan! That review was well done Sir.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2020 M340i, 2019 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Great review! Thanks for sharing.
      07-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Nice write up! North America had a great last 2 weeks in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Great review.

I spent about two hours in the car today and holy smokes, I absolutely LOVE this car. The power is amazing. Sound is very nice. Body control is stellar. Grip... wow. The car is much better composed over mid corner bumps than the E92 M3 was IMO. It barely unsettles the car at all. Very impressive.

I only have a couple of minor little gripes but they are really nothing... a tiny little bit of lag very early in the RPM range (under 2,000) but this could be a bit of DCT hesitation too as I can't consistently replicate it... and the brake pedal feel at the very top of travel is a tad soft for my taste but both are small things. Everything else, to this point, is just perfect.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Great review.

I spent about two hours in the car today and holy smokes, I absolutely LOVE this car. The power is amazing. Sound is very nice. Body control is stellar. Grip... wow. The car is much better composed over mid corner bumps than the E92 M3 was IMO. It barely unsettles the car at all. Very impressive.

I only have a couple of minor little gripes but they are really nothing... I little bit of lag very early in the RPM range (under 2,000) but this could be a bit of DCT hesitation too as I can't consistently replicate it... and the brake pedal feel at the very top of travel is a tad soft for my taste but both are small things. Everything else, to this point, is just perfect.
Thanks for that insight. I'm saving my first drive - as the driver - for the day that I pick up my car next month. I can't wait to review it relative to my experience in the S54 and S65 powered cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #16
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

nice write up, can't wait to own this car one day, until then i'll live vicariously through you guys with the m4.
Appreciate 0