Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Hotel Recommendations in Munich

Any recommendations for staying in Munich? We are going to be there 2 nights (night prior to picking up car, and night before for we leave). We've never been to Munich, so I don't know if there are "good" areas to stay that are safe with food/bars/etc. within walking distance. Also, garage parking?

Or is it best to stay the first night out by the Welt?

Any help is appreciated.
      04-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

I was going to stay in one of the Marriott's but the nearest one is about 3 or 4 miles from Welt. Can't go wrong with a Marriott.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
I was going to stay in one of the Marriott's but the nearest one is about 3 or 4 miles from Welt. Can't go wrong with a Marriott.
True, that's what I was actually thinking. Thanks!
      04-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
Hobbination
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Is there anyway you can change your pickup time and go straight from the airport to the Welt? Of the 5000 things I saw and did, Munich as a city was the least cool. If you can land, pickup and jam out, that's the ideal path IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbination View Post
Is there anyway you can change your pickup time and go straight from the airport to the Welt? Of the 5000 things I saw and did, Munich as a city was the least cool. If you can land, pickup and jam out, that's the ideal path IMO.

I've been told that by others as well. Thanks for the heads up.
      04-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Hobbination
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is the BEST tip ever btw for ED....

http://jalopnik.com/the-worlds-great...e-fo-944904488

Read this twice and don't forget 'susten pass' blew my effn mind! We left the welt and went here, most amazing driving day of my 36 years of life hands down.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
dpmenzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M6

I'll be at the 4 Seasons, been there before and always enjoyed it. It is also very close to the center of town. On the way out we will be at the Marriott at the airport.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Yes, just have your CA send an email request to BMW ED with your name, production number, and arrival date. Then just ask for a different time. I wouldn't cut it too close though. You don't wan to miss your pick up time and have to wait until the next day. Although I'm sure they would do everything possible to accommodate you that same day.

I actually think you could show up and enjoy the Welt and museum for a few hours. I'm sure they could securely store your bags while you wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
Hobbination
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

They will store your bags yes, and if your 5 hours early like me, they will even bump you up a few 5 to 2 in my case... Which meant tours for a while... Then get your car and get the hell outa the city as fast as possible
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
buckeyesi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 SMB ZCP 6MT

I actually just booked my hotels. There is a Four Points Sheraton right next to the Welt, but I've heard it's a pretty industrial area with not much around. I ended up booking the Holiday Inn in the city center. There's a train station in the hotel so should be super easy to get where you need to around town.
On Order: 2018 M3 Individual San Marino Blue/Sakhir Orange Ext, 6MT, Comp Pkg
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
It all is really what you're looking for. We're actually spending 2 days in Munich, arriving 1 day prior and then the full day of delivery and then we'll be spending another day when we return the car to Munich.

Many just get one of the hotels (Marriott/Hilton) right by the Welt in the industrial area as they just plan on picking up the car and off they go. If that's you, than you can't beat those.

However, if you plan to really tour Munich you cannot beat staying at a hotel near the Marienplatz. It's the city center and you literally have everything at your disposal. Restaurants, churches, shopping, parks, you name it.

For us, we're staying at the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski. It just makes sense for us.

But traveling to people is such an intensely personal thing. Everyone really looks for something very different.

One more thing:

There are a ton of threads in here devoted to this topic alone. Also, if you go into the pics forum you'll find several pictorials of people's European Deliveries where they give great hotel recommendations.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
F80NJM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
If you want to stay close to the center of Munich (Marieplatz) definitely book Regent. We just came back last week. Clean hotel and reasonably priced at $50 a night and the center of the city is in walking distance. The Welt is about 8-10 min drive from the Hotel. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #13
Cheetah19
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

I stayed at Hotel Sofitel. Located at city center. Very eloquent and enjoyable. Short cab ride to Welt.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #14
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Here is the BEST tip ever btw for ED....

http://jalopnik.com/the-worlds-great...e-fo-944904488

Read this twice and don't forget 'susten pass' blew my effn mind! We left the welt and went here, most amazing driving day of my 36 years of life hands down.
In your opinion is it worth amending my travel plans to hit susten pass? I was planning two days in Salzburg after picking up the car, but instead I could hit Susten pass and Interlake then head north, visit an old air force friend in basel Switzerland en route to Heidelberg and the ring.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #15
Hobbination
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

1000% the highlights of my 7 days in Europe were Susten and the Ring. There is another pass in the Alps as well that you'll see on a map that basically parallels Susten, forget the name but I think it's in that article. Having said all that, in the heat of Aug it was snow covered, dry clean roads but snow all over, in April-May it might be closed... In summer though, totally worth it.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #16
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

First, I am going against the grain and think that you should spend a few days in Munich. I personally find Munich charming with quite a number of things to see and do. I am not sure what those that don't like it saw but to say that Munich is "boring" couldn't be further from the truth.

As for places to stay, you stay anywhere in Munich and get to anywhere in the city via U-bahn, S-bahn, and buses (if needed). If you want to stay near city center, I think Sofitel and the likes are good options. The north is where Marriott Munich is. There isn't much around except for a good sandwich shop amongst a few other things. The Sheraton is located near Olympia park and is also a good option. Again, there isn't much around there except for a pizza place and few other things down the street. With that said, if you are like most people that want to wander around and eat before returning to the hotel, then it doesn't matter where you stay as it is just a place to sleep. Keep in mind that the Sheraton is very close to the Welt.

If you don't mind a little more hustle and bustle then you can stay at Meritim hotel (or somewhere there). It is one train stop from Marienplatz and right next to the main train station (hauptbahnhof). It is different from the cleaner parts of the city (such as where Marriott Munich is) but is perfectly safe. If you want to see and experience all the highs, I would stay north, city center, or upper south.

The first time we stayed at Marriott which was in very nice, clean and quaint part of the city. The second time we stayed at Meritim which I didn't like. The rooms were tiny, the beds were not that great/comfortable and the pillows were...what pillows?? They flatten as soon as you lay your head on them. I went back just last September and stayed at an Airbnb place and met some great people.

Perhaps you can book a place through airbnb? Anyway, don't worry too much about which hotel to stay or which part of the city. Just pick one that is reasonably price with the amenities you need and stay there. As I mentioned, you can get to anywhere in the city in minutes.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #17
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
1000% the highlights of my 7 days in Europe were Susten and the Ring. There is another pass in the Alps as well that you'll see on a map that basically parallels Susten, forget the name but I think it's in that article. Having said all that, in the heat of Aug it was snow covered, dry clean roads but snow all over, in April-May it might be closed... In summer though, totally worth it.
Thanks. i'll be there in September. Passes should be open, weather good, and most of the crowds in Munich drinking.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I stayed at the Four Points Sheraton Olympiapark. It is a 5 min walk to the Welt and accessible on the Ubahn (5 min walk from station). Solid hotel for the price.

On the way back I stayed at Novotel Munich Airport for the night before leaving. It was ok, but the 15 minute walk to the S bahn station (1 stop from the terminals) was a pain. I would stay at the Hilton in the airport next time
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 04:19 AM   #19
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post
Any recommendations for staying in Munich? We are going to be there 2 nights (night prior to picking up car, and night before for we leave). We've never been to Munich, so I don't know if there are "good" areas to stay that are safe with food/bars/etc. within walking distance. Also, garage parking?

Or is it best to stay the first night out by the Welt?

Any help is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
In your opinion is it worth amending my travel plans to hit susten pass? I was planning two days in Salzburg after picking up the car, but instead I could hit Susten pass and Interlake then head north, visit an old air force friend in basel Switzerland en route to Heidelberg and the ring.
YES

I stayed at Leonardo Royal Hotel, another one that is 15min walk from Welt and 2 blocks from Ubahn. Great full buffet breakfast German style.

Salzburg is awesome.. The Castle is awesome, great views from all corners up high, great food and a really small town feel but its not. There are a few things too do, but it's not a big city.

I would do a day in Salzburg, then try to hit some of the passes in Switzerland... Do a day around Susten Pass its that epic, and there is a awesome loop in the area... For me it was the best part of my trip. If it was Salzburg or the Passes, I would do the passes. You can find some relaxing B&Bs on them or just drive up closer to Zurich.

E43, 13 then 19 over from Munich, hits Furkasstrasse, Grimselpass, Guttannen, Innertkrchen, Sustenstrasse.. Just fucking epic, great roads light traffic, epic clifs, rivers, lakes and a dam or two....

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 04-03-2015 at 04:34 AM..
Appreciate 3
      04-03-2015, 04:37 AM   #20
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah you just have to call EU Delivery in NJ, an ask for the time to be changed. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to clear Customs if needed. Log N Out will pick you up and be waiting for you in the luggage area.
Maybe a 30-45min drive depending on traffic and speed.
Appreciate 1