GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

SMB M3 CP is here! Updated 19/4

Okay so I apologise there aren't that many (or great) photos but was quite late picking up the car and had to get home. Will take some more tomorrow.

Anyhow, how is it? I saw it in the handover bay as I drove past and immediately it caught my eye. It's stunningly eyecatching. Everything about it just works. Visually, all it needs is a weeny drop and spacers (which I'll put on next week). Oh and I've got the Cyba 90mm black tips to go on. But really it just is stunning and the pictures cannot do it justice.

So start it for the first time and immediate chuckles. Up the road, back off and bop bop bang bang. It is utterly hilarious. Sure it will wear off but Sport + on throttle seems to be order of the day. Running it in but using full throttle at varying speeds made me found chuckle number 2. Full throttle at 2k, back off at 3.5k and you get the most almighty crack - it's hilarious. Noise wise, you just don't notice the ASD as much. Seems a lot more mechanical than before.

It's chuffing fast already just using up to 5.5k on a tight engine. TC seems very forgiving and light of hand. Want a few days of familiarity before playing with MDM.

So the ride. It's fine. Sutcliffe is talking absolute bollocks. Comfort is perfectly acceptable and perfect for most applications. Took the car on my test route up Beachy Head and if I am honest, Comfort is a weeny bit wafty and Sport is a little unforgiving. Now this is a testing road that throws a lot of cars. I'd say Comfort should be fine for pressing on most roads but I can see a sharpening on Sport that does expose dampers. It's really really good and a HUGE improvement over old M3. But it's not perfect (which honestly I wasn't expecting) - back went light and TC flashing at just over HM's limit. For most it will be more than enough. Turn in is hilarious.

Brakes still bedding in (and will be updated) but way better than F30.

Comfort wise, the seats are absolutely fine. Even the wife commented on how much better they felt than looked. I'll be doing 400ish miles tomorrow so will know more but i'm not worried.

So here are the photos from earlier but I will take some more (and get some videos of the noises as they are just hilarious).

Update 8am 19/4

So early start today (4am). Was worried about cold start with neighbours but needn't have bothered. If you head off immediately with very light throttle it stops a lot of the drone. Not worried about it now.

I still wanted to run the car in so cross country to Guildford. Comfort really is very good indeed with only large undulations making it feel anything like wallowy. In that respect it is better than standard M3, the trade off being a slightly tighter ride. Sport is good as long as you don't have really badly uneven roads in which it can expose the dampers. But again it is very impressive.

The LEDs are very good indeed. I think they are a definite improvement over 335d's Xenons.

Mpg has improved. Yesterday was 17mpg. Up to M40 services was 22mpg. From there to M6 28.9mpg - that was mostly at about 80ish dipping up/down gears.

There's no question the engine is the starring factor of the car but it's good to see rest of it now keeping up.

So oomph. At 70mph, foot down in 7th feels like 320d quick, 6th feels like 335d quick, 5th feels like faster than tuned 335d quick and remember still have 4th but that equates to about 4.8k so trying to keep revs not too high. Have hit higher revs a couple of times pulling out into lane and it shows just what extra is still to come.

Comfort wise, it's taken a while to get seat position sorted but I've 200 miles and back is absolutely fine.

Exhaust is just spot on. Sport + is hilarious on overrun and inside there's a really gutteral sound that I like. On Efficient, it's perfectly fine and no louder than 335d to be honest. On subject of sound, it's rubbish round by Cobham M25 but 335d on MPSS wasn't great either. Overall tyre noise I really don't think is any different from 335d.

Have taken a couple of rubbish iPhone vids to show overrun and 3.5k crack in tunnel. Will try and post them.

Update 19/4 6pm

So 500 miles now done. Average mpg from today 26.5 which is impressive as at no point was I hanging around.

Things taken from today. Bloody whistling mirror will be sorted tomorrow - can't cope with that so straight to Chandlers tomorrow morning. That's really the only negative.

Yes you can catch the suspension out and no it's not as good as the RS setup but it's closer than you'd. Where it exposes itself is when you hit bumps on corner whilst loading on outside - doesn't like it that much. I'm probably being picky and it's better than I thought it would be. As Andy will testify to, it's definitely finding traction on bumpy stuff.

I love the M1/2 buttons aka the Jeckyll and Hyde buttons. One minute all calm, next minute all hell breaks loss with pops, bangs and cracks.

Had my first play with MDM and it's lovely. Treat the car with a bit of respect but in return you get far more out of it. God knows how long my rear tyres are going to last!

Seats are fine. I've spent some 7 hours in the car. Sitting having a quick pint writing this and feel fresh as a daisy.

Oh and last thing. I have NEVER (including some nice cars I have been fortunate to own) had so many comments. Every time I stop, I get someone commenting and nothing nasty at all. Stopped for a bottle of water and chap who'd been behind me also drove in just to tell me how much he'd enjoyed the pops and bangs (had valves open and window down).

Update 20/4

So popped into local dealer to show the guys the car (got from other branch). Universal thumbs up. What was interesting was hearing them move another non CP M3 with standard exhaust. There is a big difference between them in the flesh - CP is much deeper comparing like for like (valves closed or valves open). Interesting. Cheers from local road works crew on way to office when requested rev up at temp traffic lights - everyone seems to love this car.
Attached Images

San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux

Last edited by gtsussex; 04-20-2016 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 9
      04-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

And some more...

Quick video of overrun...

Attached Images

San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux

Last edited by gtsussex; 04-19-2016 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 4
      04-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & X6

Stunning car enjoy and congrats
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

That really does look good. Glad it is all you expected it to be.
      04-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Well done Guy,
Car looks fabulous. I can't understand some of the journalists views on our cars, I really can't. When I drove a comp pack, I thought the ride was slightly firmer, but the damping felt far better, then my car with no crashing over some square edged bumps.
Have you any plans to change the exhaust ?. Enjoy your beastie.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Well done Guy,
Car looks fabulous. I can't understand some of the journalists views on our cars, I really can't. When I drove a comp pack, I thought the ride was slightly firmer, but the damping felt far better, then my car with no crashing over some square edged bumps.
Have you any plans to change the exhaust ?. Enjoy your beastie.
I don't think I can. It's plenty loud enough to hack the neighbours off already. As said, have 90mm black tips to put on. I agree, the damping is very good indeed and way better than earlier cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

wow what a sick car
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #8
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

congrats looks fantastic can't wait for all these videos , we love the noises our F56 JCW makes on lift off you just keep on going up and down gears just for the hell of it to hear the bangs and pops.
Look forward to your thoughts on wether you think it needs MPE that's something I need to get out of my head
Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #9
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

You should totally post this in the main photo subforum. The car looks amazing
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Looks great.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Absolutely stunning Guy and a great write-up!!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #12
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Just been to say goodnight and couldn't resist a wee photo. Will grab a decent camera to take some proper shots on Wednesday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      04-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #13
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Childish I know, but the seat illumination is one of my favourite bits n the whole car
      04-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Woohooo! What a fantastic colour, she's quite a looker. Can't wait for the zorst sound clips, I'm feeling no need to go MPE at all.

Car IS EPIC Guy, congrats!!
      04-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #15
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I don't know Guy, you've had 4 hours, and you've not changed your sig.

Beautiful colour, even if it's not red.
      04-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #16
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris
Woohooo! What a fantastic colour, she's quite a looker. Can't wait for the zorst sound clips, I'm feeling no need to go MPE at all.

Car IS EPIC Guy, congrats!!
Thank you Sir. I am absolutely fine about not going MPE. I suspect I know what I'll be spending the money on instead.

Will grab a GoPro and do some clips on Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #17
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonhead
I don't know Guy, you've had 4 hours, and you've not changed your sig.

Beautiful colour, even if it's not red.
Have just updated
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #18
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Have just updated
Nearly!
There's the one under your posts.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #19
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Guy, that is truly awesome!!

Love the colour combo and the carbon bits really finish it off.

Thanks for telling us about the suspension, puts my mind at rest
      04-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #20
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc
Guy, that is truly awesome!!

Love the colour combo and the carbon bits really finish it off.

Thanks for telling us about the suspension, puts my mind at rest
Can't really see why the fuss is about. It's fine. Dropping by Andy's (dopper99) tomorrow so he can put his 10p in (especially as he's never been in one).
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #21
phoenx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F80 M3, Tacoma, GT4 RS

Fantastic! Love the color.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #22
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada