EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #23
KudosM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
So what did you think?
At low speeds the ride is noticeably more 'choppier' on the ACS M4 compared to my M4 which is equipped with the KW HAS kit. But once you're on your way, there is no comparison - the ACS M4 absorbs bumps/undulations seamlessly leaving the car much more stable. I found myself able to carry through more speed and importantly control throughout.

The comparison was ideal, as my car sits near on identical ride height to the ACS car, also on 20's and pre-LCI.

I'm reserving judgement until I've driven on the KW Clubsport 3-way suspension which I have arranged for tomorrow. Will report back.

Eagerly awaiting your video from today..

YMB M4 Journal : http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1144574

IG: fc_r3lxd
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #24
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KudosM3 View Post
At low speeds the ride is noticeably more 'choppier' on the ACS M4 compared to my M4 which is equipped with the KW HAS kit. But once you're on your way, there is no comparison - the ACS M4 absorbs bumps/undulations seamlessly leaving the car much more stable. I found myself able to carry through more speed and importantly control throughout.

The comparison was ideal, as my car sits near on identical ride height to the ACS car, also on 20's and pre-LCI.

I'm reserving judgement until I've driven on the KW Clubsport 3-way suspension which I have arranged for tomorrow. Will report back.

Oooh, I am intrigued about the Clubsport 3-way suspension as that's the same as M4 GTS has. I'd be intrigued to try that as well. I'm not convinced you can do a lot about the lower speed ride. I just learnt to live with it and then giggle at my car's ability to demolish roads. Kind of figured if I wanted to drive something smooth, I'd just take our Disco :-)
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #25
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:

Agree with everything you said... What about the extra power and torque...? Didn't you find it so potent midrange? 3rd and 4th gear just pulls and pulls..
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #26
KudosM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oooh, I am intrigued about the Clubsport 3-way suspension as that's the same as M4 GTS has. I'd be intrigued to try that as well. I'm not convinced you can do a lot about the lower speed ride. I just learnt to live with it and then giggle at my car's ability to demolish roads. Kind of figured if I wanted to drive something smooth, I'd just take our Disco :-)
I'm conscious of the fact that my car will not see the track very often, so the Clubsports may be a little overkill...but we shall see.

Tbh, my pursuit for a coilover solution has come from my other car - an E46 M3 riding on BC Racing coilovers. The car is super comfortable and drives like its on rails.

I'm not sure I've found the solution, just yet.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #27
KudosM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
Agree with everything you said... What about the extra power and torque...? Didn't you find it so potent midrange? 3rd and 4th gear just pulls and pulls..
The increased power/torque is certainly addictive!

However, for now, I think I need to explore ways in which I can utilise the standard power output fully

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:57 PM   #28
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Thanks again, Lorcan for today. Certainly was a well spent 4 hour round trip over to you
Hey, you're welcome. Good to meet you and M5Essex . Think we have another forum member coming over tomorrow too.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:55 AM   #29
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

I keep coming back to this thread to have another peek at Guy's bootie. Is that wrong?
      04-28-2016, 03:06 AM   #30
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

you cant get the power down with these things at the best of times, struggle to see the point of more unusable power.

hurry up the next Generation M. with Mr RS Audi at the helm at BMW's M division we should finally see some all wheel drive action.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:11 AM   #31
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Dammit those tips do look very nice......

I really had convinced myself I wouldn't buy anything more for the car until it arrives but now I'm having doubts again.....
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:12 AM   #32
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
you cant get the power down with these things at the best of times, struggle to see the point of more unusable power.

hurry up the next Generation M. with Mr RS Audi at the helm at BMW's M division we should finally see some all wheel drive action.
Hmmm... Interesting one this as if I were judging it purely on early gen M3/4, I'd happily agree. BUT the ACS M4 shows that if you sort out the issue of the tyres actually staying on contact with the tarmac (by better damping), it's a lot less of an issue.

Also there is absolutely no question that in MDM mode, the CP is getting a hell of a lot more power down on the road than was every possible with the earlier cars.

The big attraction of this upgrade is the increase in torque - no longer do you need to rev the engine to make quick progress. It really is very impressive and it's not just about headline bhp figures.

As someone who's just come out of xDrive, I am genuinely surprised by this.

Only downside I can see at the moment is the MDM now gives you no slip angle to play....
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:27 AM   #33
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post

Next time you're up Guy - roll-ons from 50mph on Wisbech bypass...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:37 AM   #34
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Hmmm... Interesting one this as if I were judging it purely on early gen M3/4, I'd happily agree. BUT the ACS M4 shows that if you sort out the issue of the tyres actually staying on contact with the tarmac (by better damping), it's a lot less of an issue.

Also there is absolutely no question that in MDM mode, the CP is getting a hell of a lot more power down on the road than was every possible with the earlier cars.

The big attraction of this upgrade is the increase in torque - no longer do you need to rev the engine to make quick progress. It really is very impressive and it's not just about headline bhp figures.

As someone who's just come out of xDrive, I am genuinely surprised by this.

Only downside I can see at the moment is the MDM now gives you no slip angle to play....
interesting you mention xdrive, as a friend of mine has a 335d (xdrive) and it ruins me to 60 every time. the torque on that thing is intense
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:21 AM   #35
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

More (now dirty) ar*e shots
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:45 AM   #36
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
More (now dirty) ar*e shots
Well who doesn't love dirty ar$e shots?

Question is where are they? I can't see any additions? And no I'm not going to google that on my work laptop!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:50 AM   #37
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

More gratuitous (dirty) arse shots... (now with actual photos attached - sorry, bad connection!). These are with the exhaust hot so as far as they stick out. Go back in when exhaust cools down.
Attached Images

Last edited by gtsussex; 04-28-2016 at 04:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 05:39 AM   #38
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep

Well now I've had to enquire about prices for these! Thanks very much
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:30 AM   #39
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

This forum is a nightmare, my shopping list is getting bigger and bigger.

Do the old tips come straight off?
      04-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #40
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post

Just need a hefty tap and yup, they'll come off. Had to drop the exhaust to tighten the top bolts on the new tips properly. Probably could have done by removing the diffuser and I'm sure some people probably pre-tighten the top one so it just slips on and then just firm up the bottom two and leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:50 AM   #41
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Looks good, I'm getting the M Perf parts fitted to mine for delivery so hopefully all I need to do are the spacers and I'm liking those exhaust tips as well! Probably best not to re-use the spacers (eibach) from my F30 and just get fresh ones, what brand have you gone with? (do ACS make spacers?)
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #42
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
Looks good, I'm getting the M Perf parts fitted to mine for delivery so hopefully all I need to do are the spacers and I'm liking those exhaust tips as well! Probably best not to re-use the spacers (eibach) from my F30 and just get fresh ones, what brand have you gone with? (do ACS make spacers?)
Yup, got Eibach off Lorcan. 12mm on rear and 10mm on front.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #43
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post

Just need a hefty tap and yup, they'll come off. Had to drop the exhaust to tighten the top bolts on the new tips properly. Probably could have done by removing the diffuser and I'm sure some people probably pre-tighten the top one so it just slips on and then just firm up the bottom two and leave it at that.
Would you say the the diffuser is needed or would they be fine with the standard setup?
      04-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #44
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

I'm liking your a*se as well.

Did I just say that lol
Appreciate 1