EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-31-2016, 12:47 PM   #23
PeteRock
Private First Class
PeteRock's Avatar
United Kingdom
114
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: SO Comp Pack F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7 View Post
It is very different to be honest. Initially I was letting the DCT do its thing while I just got a feel for the car, it defaulted to efficient mode and changes up the cogs very quickly so the first few times I started to want to make progress I was in far too high a gear without realising. Hence was a little underwhelmed. As soon as you start taking charge of the gears as you should it is an animal. Trying to catch gear shifts before it gets past 5500rpm is trickier than you'd think!

For me there is no comparison, it feels so much more lively in every aspect it's difficult to believe it is the same base (some way off in the past) car.

Ironically I was trying to avoid carbon parts but it seems that very few places sell parts that aren't carbon for them..... So I've taken the carbon parts on the chin with a view to just getting them painted if they start to bother me (hence not going mad for OEM Mperformance parts).
I had the same experience in my test. With the autobox in comfort doing its thing, it didn't feel much faster than my 330d, but put in sport + with the paddles and ring the gears out it certainly was a bit more spikey

I had 2 test drives, and after the first I was concerned about the power, but second when I warmed up the car and was in sport + it def felt more aggressive
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #24
dopper99
Lieutenant General
England
2948
Rep
10,790
Posts

Drives: Golf R 2019
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (1)

Hey that car looks great.
Very nice indeed.

Good to hear your experiences of the car so far at that you are enjoying it.
__________________

Current:
Golf R 2019
Previous:
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #25
gtsussex
Brigadier General
gtsussex's Avatar
1814
Rep
3,983
Posts

Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East Sussex

iTrader: (0)

Congrats Ade - glad you're enjoying your new gorgeous toy!!
__________________
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #26
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
scottc's Avatar
610
Rep
1,578
Posts

Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Lovely car and loving the mods, thinking I will have in to invest in those tips
__________________
MG/SS M4 ZCP
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2016, 03:58 AM   #27
Ade_7
Lieutenant
301
Rep
513
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRock View Post
I had the same experience in my test. With the autobox in comfort doing its thing, it didn't feel much faster than my 330d, but put in sport + with the paddles and ring the gears out it certainly was a bit more spikey

I had 2 test drives, and after the first I was concerned about the power, but second when I warmed up the car and was in sport + it def felt more aggressive
I don't feel with mine it needs to be in sport + it hugely quicker in all driving modes, it just needs a little more consideration to the gear you're in. It just won't pull hard from 40 in 6th after years of diesel cars it easy to forget the differences. So it took me a few minutes to adjust.

But now the biggest part of getting away quickly for me if trying to ensure the traction control doesn't step in reducing all power....

When I get a chance for a nice day drive on my own I'll get into MDM and start to experiment a little
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #28
JustChris
Lieutenant General
JustChris's Avatar
United Kingdom
8275
Rep
17,470
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

The biggest change I recall from non M to M is how light it feels off the mark ur to the huge change in power to weight, that and cornering on rails!!
__________________
BMW X3 M40d Performance Auto
Sophisto Grey Metallic with Oyster Leather
Comfort Package + M Sport Plus Package + Technology Package
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #29
Ade_7
Lieutenant
301
Rep
513
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post
The biggest change I recall from non M to M is how light it feels off the mark ur to the huge change in power to weight, that and cornering on rails!!
Agreed, it just feels more alive in everyway. The brakes are much sharper and feel much more powerful. The steering and cornering make my old car feel like it might have been broken or something?!? It is soo much flatter and more purposeful.

So far not one person who I've taken for a quick run hasn't made some sort of involuntary noise when I've given it some stick And most of my friends are seasoned petrolheads
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #30
Wills2
Barge driver
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
5490
Rep
9,776
Posts

Drives: G11 740d/X3M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
I thought Conti's were better in the wet than others... but just surprised to see them on your new car as my dealer told me all new M3/4s would have MPSS... what do they know eh!?!
Mine came with contis they are OK, don't feel as stable under load into a corner as the MPSS did but they are meant to be better in the wet IIRC.

However I find my car hates standing water it doesn't take much to get it going.
__________________
G11 740d xdrive/X3M/Z4C, Gone F80 M3/F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #31
Wills2
Barge driver
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
5490
Rep
9,776
Posts

Drives: G11 740d/X3M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

It really is a lovely looking car, I like the re diffusor was it expensive?
__________________
G11 740d xdrive/X3M/Z4C, Gone F80 M3/F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #32
DC-T
Lieutenant
DC-T's Avatar
327
Rep
475
Posts

Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

No matter how long the day has been...this forum always bring a smile. Thanks for sharing Ade! Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #33
Ade_7
Lieutenant
301
Rep
513
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
It really is a lovely looking car, I like the re diffusor was it expensive?
I put a link on page one to the shop I got it from on Ebay 200 so not bad at all. I was very tempted to have it sprayed black but am leaving it for the moment as I quite like carbon... Once the carbon spoiler arrives and goes on then I'll decide what to do depending on how everything looks together.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #34
dopper99
Lieutenant General
England
2948
Rep
10,790
Posts

Drives: Golf R 2019
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (1)

Hows the car Ade? Any more to say on it now you've had it a few days?



(you can tell the wait for ours is doing our heads in!)
__________________

Current:
Golf R 2019
Previous:
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #35
Wills2
Barge driver
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
5490
Rep
9,776
Posts

Drives: G11 740d/X3M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7 View Post
I put a link on page one to the shop I got it from on Ebay 200 so not bad at all. I was very tempted to have it sprayed black but am leaving it for the moment as I quite like carbon... Once the carbon spoiler arrives and goes on then I'll decide what to do depending on how everything looks together.
Ah yes just seen that, great value! I've been toying with the idea of getting one but cannot stomach paying 900 for the BMW version which I feel is daylight robbery.
__________________
G11 740d xdrive/X3M/Z4C, Gone F80 M3/F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #36
Ade_7
Lieutenant
301
Rep
513
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Hows the car Ade? Any more to say on it now you've had it a few days?



(you can tell the wait for ours is doing our heads in!)
I was exactly the same with the wait for mine. Reading and watching everything I could find, and then re-reading and watching it all

I'm still loving it really. For the first time today I thought two things..

The exhaust isn't that much "fun". It's louder with the controllers on and valves open but it doesn't have that spine tingle of a proper exhaust system that sort of car deserves..... I'm going to just have to live with that for now as the missus will kill me if I start throwing any more cash at it!

I'm starting to get used to the power already..... I was giving it some running "beans" I believe is the technical term and whilst it is very quick the short shifting is really starting to annoy me. It feels like it's just starting to pull hard and you have to shift making me want more....
I'm at about 500 miles now so will have to just live with it until the RIS but I really want to ring it out and see where it's at

Fingers crossed only a week or two until I can get enough miles on to get it booked in and then really unleash it
Appreciate 3
      06-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #37
Ade_7
Lieutenant
301
Rep
513
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Ah yes just seen that, great value! I've been toying with the idea of getting one but cannot stomach paying 900 for the BMW version which I feel is daylight robbery.
I agree. I actually just wanted a black plastic one in satin but no-one makes them. It seems that everyone wants carbon. So I took a punt and hoped. I think the fitment of the one I got is actually very good and that was my biggest concern. Non perfect weave can be painted over if it bothers you, poor fitting cannot
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #38
Wills2
Barge driver
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
5490
Rep
9,776
Posts

Drives: G11 740d/X3M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Yeah it's the fitting I'm bothered about as you say if BMW did a cheaper one that could be painted gloss black I'd get that.
__________________
G11 740d xdrive/X3M/Z4C, Gone F80 M3/F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #39
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
795
Rep
1,640
Posts

Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South East

iTrader: (0)

Why don't BMW offer these Carbon M performance bits as a factory option?

Whilst I am not keen on the 'look' it seems many are and they really ought to offer a factory package imo and then it would save you guys the hassle of advising the insurance company and bunging it all on after delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #40
Chompers
Colonel
Chompers's Avatar
United Kingdom
1121
Rep
2,711
Posts

Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Co. Down

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
Why don't BMW offer these Carbon M performance bits as a factory option?

Whilst I am not keen on the 'look' it seems many are and they really ought to offer a factory package imo and then it would save you guys the hassle of advising the insurance company and bunging it all on after delivery.

BMW and the dealer make more money buy selling them as aftermarket add ons.

I'm not sure what the position is on the batch of M3 Individuals that Sytner group have and a few other dealers, They seem to all have what they call an 'M3 MP Black Package' Gloss Black Grilles, Carbon Corners, mirror covers and rear spoiler + Black exhaust tips. The way that all the cars fitted with this pack are advertised leads me to think they were either fitted at Thorne or at the factory, maybe to test the water for a possible factory option.
__________________
Curent: F31 335d xDrive MSport Individual TB / OW Merino

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #41
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
423
Rep
1,522
Posts

Drives: 2015 M$4 F82
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #42
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
M5essex's Avatar
England
633
Rep
1,701
Posts

Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Essex UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7 View Post
I was exactly the same with the wait for mine. Reading and watching everything I could find, and then re-reading and watching it all

I'm still loving it really. For the first time today I thought two things..

The exhaust isn't that much "fun". It's louder with the controllers on and valves open but it doesn't have that spine tingle of a proper exhaust system that sort of car deserves..... I'm going to just have to live with that for now as the missus will kill me if I start throwing any more cash at it!

I'm starting to get used to the power already..... I was giving it some running "beans" I believe is the technical term and whilst it is very quick the short shifting is really starting to annoy me. It feels like it's just starting to pull hard and you have to shift making me want more....
I'm at about 500 miles now so will have to just live with it until the RIS but I really want to ring it out and see where it's at

Fingers crossed only a week or two until I can get enough miles on to get it booked in and then really unleash it
You will find it quicker after RIS. She will loosen up for you too. Mine feels lightning quick some days but a bit sluggish other days..

Sound like you might be ordering the ACS power kit like me soon
__________________
Current - 2016 McLaren 650s Spider, Aurora Blue
Current - 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR- Black
Current- 2018 Aventador S. Nereid blue
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #43
Ade_7
Lieutenant
301
Rep
513
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7 View Post
I was exactly the same with the wait for mine. Reading and watching everything I could find, and then re-reading and watching it all

I'm still loving it really. For the first time today I thought two things..

The exhaust isn't that much "fun". It's louder with the controllers on and valves open but it doesn't have that spine tingle of a proper exhaust system that sort of car deserves..... I'm going to just have to live with that for now as the missus will kill me if I start throwing any more cash at it!

I'm starting to get used to the power already..... I was giving it some running "beans" I believe is the technical term and whilst it is very quick the short shifting is really starting to annoy me. It feels like it's just starting to pull hard and you have to shift making me want more....
I'm at about 500 miles now so will have to just live with it until the RIS but I really want to ring it out and see where it's at

Fingers crossed only a week or two until I can get enough miles on to get it booked in and then really unleash it
You will find it quicker after RIS. She will loosen up for you too. Mine feels lightning quick some days but a bit sluggish other days..

Sound like you might be ordering the ACS power kit like me soon
I hope not... I promised myself I would only do cosmetics enhancements on this car....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #44
rjwojcik
Captain
rjwojcik's Avatar
227
Rep
641
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 CP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Essex, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7 View Post
I put a link on page one to the shop I got it from on Ebay 200 so not bad at all. I was very tempted to have it sprayed black but am leaving it for the moment as I quite like carbon... Once the carbon spoiler arrives and goes on then I'll decide what to do depending on how everything looks together.
Out of stock at the moment but am now keen on getting one for 200, paying almost 1,000 for one is a bit too rich for me.

And I'll be painting mine black but as already mentioned elsewhere, no one does plastic.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST