European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

06-17-2022, 07:38 PM   #1
cobra2814
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Competition

Toyo R888R initial impressions

Today I put on Toyo R888R tires just on the back because I was looking for more traction after my BM3 tune.

Anyways, they definitely have a lot more straight line traction than the stock MPSS tires the car came with. However, the back end feels a lot more mushy or squirmy than with the stock tires. It almost feels like a drag radial tire more than anything to me.

I'm running the stock size of 285/30/20 but the sidewalls do seem a little thicker than the stock MPSS as well. Inflated at 33psi cold.

Has anyone else experienced this mushy feeling on these tires before? I love the traction but am not a fan of the disconnected feeling I get from the back.
      06-20-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

the MPSS has a 99Y XL sidewall load index whereas the r888r in the same tire size only has 95Y standard load, so it seems the r888r is a softer sidewall in that size, which isn't what I would have guessed.

It's hard to find actual tread width spec for the r888r after a quick search, but seems both MPSS and r888r have an overall tire width of 11.4 inches, but the r888r "should" have a wider tread width than the MPSS 9.9" tread width. That means you could have a scenario where the r888r sidewall/tread width isn't in the same plane as the MPSS is and the sidewall is rolling more over the wheel's rim.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
cobra2814
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
the MPSS has a 99Y XL sidewall load index whereas the r888r in the same tire size only has 95Y standard load, so it seems the r888r is a softer sidewall in that size, which isn't what I would have guessed.

It's hard to find actual tread width spec for the r888r after a quick search, but seems both MPSS and r888r have an overall tire width of 11.4 inches, but the r888r "should" have a wider tread width than the MPSS 9.9" tread width. That means you could have a scenario where the r888r sidewall/tread width isn't in the same plane as the MPSS is and the sidewall is rolling more over the wheel's rim.
Thank you. Yeah that seems to be what's happening. The sidewall is definitely taller as well and the tire seems wider as I see a bit of sidewalk bulge over the rim's edge. Probably a combination of all of this plus the softer sidewall as you noted.

It just wasn't what I was expecting to feel, especially out of a road race tire. It ends up feeling and acting more like a drag radial.
      06-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #4
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

Once your R888R wears down, try RT660 next. It won't attempt to kill you when the road is wet and gives you plenty of warning on the track before it spits you out. R888R is noisy, terrible in wet condition, and gives absolutely no warning when the lateral grip capacity has been breached.

I personally found the RT660 to be best all around tire, and less expensive too. Great in wet and dry conditions, quiet, and gives plenty to warning indicators before lateral grip is breached.
      06-22-2022, 02:15 PM   #5
cobra2814
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Wheel BMW View Post
Once your R888R wears down, try RT660 next. It won't attempt to kill you when the road is wet and gives you plenty of warning on the track before it spits you out. R888R is noisy, terrible in wet condition, and gives absolutely no warning when the lateral grip capacity has been breached.

I personally found the RT660 to be best all around tire, and less expensive too. Great in wet and dry conditions, quiet, and gives plenty to warning indicators before lateral grip is breached.
Quote:

Good to know, thanks. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think the tire is made in a 20 inch wheel size? I'm still running the 666 wheels on my ZCP.
      06-22-2022, 03:21 PM   #6
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra2814 View Post
Good to know, thanks. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think the tire is made in a 20 inch wheel size? I'm still running the 666 wheels on my ZCP.
I missed that detail. Correct, for 19", usually 265/35/19 front and 315/30/19 would be perfect for a high powered setup.

For 20", Cup2 is also a good option. Quiet and great wet. Sidewalls are super stiff, not mushy.

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 06-22-2022 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 05:25 PM   #7
Schultz28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:

Just need to be aware that RT660's run a size wide, so make sure you have the clearance. My RT660's rubbed a bit until I added some more camber (-2.8deg). They barely fit with my Ohlins up front.

Ended up getting the Yokohama AD08R's for my next tires since they are true to size. Should allow me to dial back my camber a bit.
Appreciate 1