European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #309
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader97 View Post
Hey I just picked up a DCT F83 M4. Just wanted to know if anyone else experiences jerkiness or bucking when in Sport+ in first gear. It felt like I was learning how to drive for the first time lmao
Yeah, this is normal. I keep mine in Sport around town and save Sport+ for highway and spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #310
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

Happens to me sometimes and I have a 6 speed. You'll learn it and get better
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #311
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Sport + is notorious for that. Both my '16 M3 and my '18 M3 CS do that. I prefer Sport for the track and street and Sport + for rare occasions.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #312
Vader97
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Sport + is notorious for that. Both my '16 M3 and my '18 M3 CS do that. I prefer Sport for the track and street and Sport + for rare occasions.
Does sport mode still produce an aggressive sound like sport+
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #313
Vader97
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartOC View Post
A car with twin turbos in a more aggressively mapped throttle setting will do that. I'm not really sure what you expected, there's about 100 other threads you could've honestly looked through that extensively talk about this. It's an automatic transmission that acts like a manual transmission, it's not going to be the smoothest experience in sport plus if you don't have good foot control.
It's my first DCT car so I didn't know how to feather my way into it lol
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #314
Vader97
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavingtraffic View Post
Quote:
Hey I just picked up a DCT F83 M4. Just wanted to know if anyone else experiences jerkiness or bucking when in Sport+ in first gear. It felt like I was learning how to drive for the first time lmao
Yes.. I thought it was a misfire or something was wrong with my car. Hahahaha I'm so glad I'm not the only one. First DCT car and I got it on Friday. So still a bit in shock, but I guess it's normal since you have the same feeling.
I looked dumb as hell when it rocked my head back and forth like three times LMAO
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2019, 07:46 PM   #315
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, flaps are all open in Sport and Sport+.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #316
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Yessir! Main difference is in Sport+ the turbos are kept spooled up.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #317
weavingtraffic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
1990 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
I looked dumb as hell when it rocked my head back and forth like three times LMAO
BAHAHAHAHA. Thats awesome. I see you're in Jersey. Theres a thread with a whatsapp group for tri-state cruises/meetups. Just joined it and would recommend it! Friendly guys in there.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1526298
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #318
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Happens to me sometimes and I have a 6 speed. You'll learn it and get better

Same here on my 2015 M4.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #319
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Just wanted to update my experience with this.

I noticed that when I changed my seating position to my track settings (closer to the pedals, more upright, full side bolsters etc) the car stopped lurching in Sport+.

I think this helps confirm that it's not the car itself that is lurching, it is the g-forces throwing our bodies back causing our feet to partially release the accelerator causing the car to suddenly decelerate. The deceleration causes our bodies to shift slightly forward and therefore restoring some pressure to the accelerator which starts an osculating chain reaction of acceleration and deceleration: the lurching.

Try it.

With my seat in the proper position I cannot get the car to lurch no matter the throttle input.

While the seating position I learned in High School of leaning back for that gangsta lean while cruising the boulevard checking out the honeys is comfortable and looks ridiculous now at my age, it's not the best for driving high performance vehicles with lots of power and a sensitive accelerator.

For those who don't already know:

Sit close enough that your knees are bent at rest and full application of the accelerator, brake, or clutch does not quite reach full extension. Your knee should still have an angle at full application of any of the pedals and should never be locked straight. This not only helps reduce injury in an accident (a locked knee will likely get significantly more damaged than a bent knee, but ensures that you can have full brakes when needed.

Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #320
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
PROBLEM SOLVED!

I noticed that when I changed my seating position to my track settings (closer to the pedals, more upright, full side bolsters etc) the car stopped lurching in Sport+.

I think this helps confirm that it's not the car itself that is lurching, it is the g-forces throwing our bodies back causing our feet to partially release the accelerator causing the car to suddenly decelerate. The deceleration causes our bodies to shift slightly forward and therefore restoring some pressure to the accelerator which starts an osculating chain reaction of acceleration and deceleration: the lurching.

Try it.

With my seat in the proper position I cannot get the car to lurch no matter the throttle input.

While the seating position I learned in High School of leaning back for that gangsta lean while cruising the boulevard checking out the honeys is comfortable and looks ridiculous now at my age, it's not the best for driving high performance vehicles with lots of power and a sensitive accelerator.

Sit close enough that your knees are bent at rest and full application of the accelerator, brake, or clutch does not quite reach full extension. Your knee should still have an angle at full application of any of the pedals and should never be locked straight. This not only helps reduce injury in an accident (a locked knee will likely get significantly more damaged than a bent knee, but ensures that you can have full brakes when needed.
^^^^^ THIS!

I posted here back in 2017 to explain what causes the problem and people didn't believe.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
This was very common on E46 M3 with SMG. It is usually user error. One way to fix it is move your seat closer so you can firmly plant you foot on the gas pedal when you accelerate. The problem is if you sit too far back, when you hit the gas pedal, the car's acceleration pushes you back in to your seat, and dragging your foot off the gas pedal. When that happens, the car decelerates, makes your body lung forward, bringing your foot forward and pushing the gas pedal again to accelerate. Rinse and repeat.
      01-17-2020, 03:57 PM   #321
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
[SIZE="5"]PROBLEM SOLVED![/SIZE]

Try it.

^^^^^ THIS!

I posted here back in 2017 to explain what causes the problem and people didn't believe.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=246

Quote:
This was very common on E46 M3 with SMG. It is usually user error. One way to fix it is move your seat closer so you can firmly plant you foot on the gas pedal when you accelerate. The problem is if you sit too far back, when you hit the gas pedal, the car's acceleration pushes you back in to your seat, and dragging your foot off the gas pedal. When that happens, the car decelerates, makes your body lung forward, bringing your foot forward and pushing the gas pedal again to accelerate. Rinse and repeat.
I'm now a believer!!

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:49 AM   #322
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

today i was bucking in 2nd gear trying to power slide. I was in mdm mode and it was bucking on me. dam . last time it was 1st gear power slide that has bucking and now 2nd gear on mdm. not sure why though haha maybe dsc off would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #323
Mrm4sw49r
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
My E90 did the same thing. Sometimes so badly, it made me look like a novice stick driver with a touchy clutch.
Lol yea I know
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #324
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Hi guys

Just did diagnose on my dct after clunking noise on first two gears ( downshift ) And The stop where I did that diagnose said The transmission has a massive play under load And need to be replaced . Its any chance to gts flash could fix that problem ?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #325
sicck_m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Yas Marina M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS55 View Post
When I have M Engine Dynamics set to Sport Plus and Drivelogic set to S3, the car bucks under heavy acceleration. Anyone else?

Under heavy acceleration it's smooth. When I feather the gas on 1st gear it starts to buck similar to a manual without enough throttle letting of the clutch.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #326
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]PROBLEM SOLVED![/SIZE]

Try it.

This is something people take as a joke. Seating is important in racing, don't matter if it is drag, some kind of circuit or even spirited driving on Sundays.

Glad you found solution to your problem.
Appreciate 2
jmg18703.50
tanzm4_175.00
      06-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #327
mdharper007
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 ZCP

Bought my car about 3 months ago, first vehicle purchase ever, only driven family handmedowns (think now 17yr old F150) for the past 15yrs. Third day I was driving it, I thought I'd show off my 'new' 3yr old car with some off the line red light acceleration, ended up jerking my way through the intersection.

It was an amazingly humbling experience as I learned to respect the vehicle. Completely agree with the thread and how important it is to learn the car. Still learning and loving it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #328
Pat M4
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

M4 hesitation random misfires?

I was chasing a misfire , bucking , lack of power for a few weeks throwing 1000s in parts at my car(many sets of oem and NGK packs and plugs). Turns out the intercooler had an internal leak causing the coolant to go into the combustion chamber just enough to throw a drivetrain mal and cel if i really hit the gas. That will cause misfires at random. Check your intercooler resivour, if you have to fill it often, then you have a leak! Wanted to share
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #329
F80dreams
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdharper007 View Post
Bought my car about 3 months ago, first vehicle purchase ever, only driven family handmedowns (think now 17yr old F150) for the past 15yrs. Third day I was driving it, I thought I'd show off my 'new' 3yr old car with some off the line red light acceleration, ended up jerking my way through the intersection.

It was an amazingly humbling experience as I learned to respect the vehicle. Completely agree with the thread and how important it is to learn the car. Still learning and loving it.
Lol i did the same on one of my first drives.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 07:15 PM   #330
i.is.m4cs
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4 CS

Quote:
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Try it.

Dude!!!

My mechanic is going to kill me when I tell him this lol.

Thank you for sharing this.
Appreciate 0