Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
dvd112
finally_allthat
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, 2016

New M4 owner (2016 Silverstone 2 non ZCP)

Hello all,

Looking to introduce myself, my new car 🚙 and seek some guidance.

1. I purchased my late 2016, BMW M4, silverstone 2 blue metallic in August, 2019. I bought with 17000 miles on the clock and following some usual “dealer hand over” issues, I have loved every minute. I have only put 3000 miles or so on the clock since I picked it up. But it’s great.

2. Observations: I came from a 2014, Z4, alpine white, coral red interior with spacers and m4 csl reps. With silencer delete on the back box. It was cool. Just a little slow.

Okay, okay, the m4 is mental! It is the fastest car I have owner, however, not the most fun. That title belongs to the mini jcw in British racing green which I owned for two years. That had the silencer removed and it was the most fun I owned. Anyway, back to the M4. It has HUD, HK and is OEM and I love it. It’s ceramic coated too which really helps with cleaning. It is good fun in manual mode and is a bit of a head turner too. But it’s thirsty!

3. Guidance:

A) ok quick one, my neighbour has a comp pack 2018, in red. It’s lovely but no where near as loud as mine. The dealer says mine is standard and I love it. But cold start wise it’s crazy loud; under load in manual mode (mine is a dsg) changing between gears with everything off. It crackles and bangs and rasps. Not pops and bangs but just very aggressive sounds? Any ideas why?

B) I appear to have some damage on the driver, inside door panel, just at the top next to the window. You can only see in certain lights (picture below) but the vinyls looks to have small white marks in the crevasses. When I use some interior clean the mark goes immediately but as soon as it “drys” it’s back again. My ocd hates it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C) finally, traction off the lights. In dry or wet is woeful. I have heard the newer software can rectify. Anyone got any success stories ?

Anyway that’s all from me. Here are some pics. I attached. Wasn’t sure how to embed.
Attached Images

Last edited by dvd112; 03-30-2020 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Welcome. Nice looking car.

A) - It has downpipes (or PCW exhaust mod), been mapped, or both. No question if it's significantly louder & different to your neighbours CP.

B) - Try some bumper black (back to black or similar).

C) - More to suggest it's been mapped. The November 2017 software update was a biggie. Mainly addressed the suspension though & DCT.

Be aware that if you update the software, you'll lose any aftermarket map that may be on and any coding that's been done.
      03-31-2020, 02:24 AM   #3
dvd112
finally_allthat
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post

A) - It has downpipes (or PCW exhaust mod), been mapped, or both. No question if it's significantly louder & different to your neighbours CP.

C) - More to suggest it's been mapped. The November 2017 software update was a biggie. Mainly addressed the suspension though & DCT.

Be aware that if you update the software, you'll lose any aftermarket map that may be on and any coding that's been done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post

Thanks ! It's wicked fun. But god it's quick. I hope it's not been mod'd as it's a AUC.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:51 AM   #4
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

A big giveaway to it being mapped is by checking the sport displays in idrive, I believe standard it goes up to 460bhp? If yours says 500+ bhp its more than likely mapped.

The PCW exhaust mod is to the top of the silencer so you'd have to drop it at the rear to see if you've got any triangular weld marks on the top of the back box.

Tractions not great this time of year with the temps being low, if you have Michelin Pilot super sports on the rear they are better than Pirelli or other brands, Michelin Pilot sport 4s are even better for all round temperatures and conditions.
dvd1124.50
      04-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
dvd112
finally_allthat
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedixon View Post
A big giveaway to it being mapped is by checking the sport displays in idrive, I believe standard it goes up to 460bhp? If yours says 500+ bhp its more than likely mapped.

The PCW exhaust mod is to the top of the silencer so you'd have to drop it at the rear to see if you've got any triangular weld marks on the top of the back box.

Tractions not great this time of year with the temps being low, if you have Michelin Pilot super sports on the rear they are better than Pirelli or other brands, Michelin Pilot sport 4s are even better for all round temperatures and conditions.
Thank all - will check the sport display and see what it says.

Any ideas on my interior mark? I just can't get it off!!! Was going to try some of the gtech trim restorer.

D
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd112 View Post

Any ideas on my interior mark? I just can't get it off!!! Was going to try some of the gtech trim restorer.

D
No idea on the mark I’m afraid, if it’s actually damaged/stained the plastic then I guess you’d have to use something with a black dye in it?
dvd1124.50
      04-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
dvd112
finally_allthat
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedixon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd112 View Post

D
No idea on the mark I’m afraid, if it’s actually damaged/stained the plastic then I guess you’d have to use something with a black dye in it?
Thanks. I am going to give the gtechnique interior trim restorer a go!!!! Was good on my mini !
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 01:22 AM   #8
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Hi mate,

Another Silverstone owner here just outside Edinburgh, in Bathgate.

I would imagine the interior jerk is where the driver has leant his arm on the door card while driving - so more than likely where the mark has came from. Possibly some APC and a gentle scrub with a soft nailbrush might work?

My cold start on my 16 plate car is also ridiculously loud as well and I know the loud cold start is something that's possible to have coded out. So possibly later M4's had this tamed down a bit or maybe the CP owner has had it coded out?
Appreciate 1
BIFCAIDS857.00
      04-05-2020, 06:30 AM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I would also suggest that the exhaust has had a PCW style modification.

It would be well worth while getting the GTS software update done, and then seeing how the traction is. It's should be very good in the dry.

Also agree that the mark is from the previous owner's elbow. I'd give it a scrub with a leather interior brush.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 06:35 AM   #10
dvd112
finally_allthat
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I would also suggest that the exhaust has had a PCW style modification.

It would be well worth while getting the GTS software update done, and then seeing how the traction is. It's should be very good in the dry.

Also agree that the mark is from the previous owner's elbow. I'd give it a scrub with a leather interior brush.
Thanks. Yes I am going to pursue the software update. In first and second under mid loud in manual it is terribly jerky.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
Colinear
M4Col
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 & Audi S5

Just a thought but have you got a driver profile setup that sets everything to sport+? That might cause your loud startup on the exhaust if you’re starting the car with that profile. ??????
Also try a magic sponge on the mark on the door plastic. I’ve used them to remove scuff marks on the bottom of the door when you accidentally kick them and it seems to work.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #12
M4rkM
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Could be your neighbours is a late 2018 with the sound killing opf (filter in the exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #13
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Welcome, beautiful color there. Probably the best of the standard palette.

High five for Mini ownership.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0