proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #45
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
I’ve read you can adjust that a bit? Some videos recommending in the 2500 to 3000 rpm range.

I did see the pdk does launch even higher than bmw, and gets it right! Squats, cherps and gone.
I launch at 3500 on really warm tires and that's what I get.....

Anything less seems to bog.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #46
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

I love dct. Rarely clunks. Always predictable. Easy to maneuver at slow speeds with the tap to engage aka crawl mode. There’s very little to nothing to mess up. It’s a stout unit and prefer it over the torque converter autos. Try kicking down in the Alfa guilia unit. It’s lame. Fast upshifts are easy. The money is made in how quickly it responds to downshifts. Dct kills.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #47
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
When cold, or really just whenever 1st gear can be fussy. Take care to not give it too little gas so it doesn't burn the clutch, sometimes if you give it too much it gets jerky in 1st. I tend to engage creep mode in 1st by just giving the gas a quick tap to get the car moving. This is also useful in traffic, it makes the car move at the slowest pace it can without grinding clutch. Creep mode works in reverse too.

Once it's moving in creep mode and out of wherever I parked it I'll deliberately give it a bit of throttle so it doesn't get confused then shift to 2nd at the appropriate rpm.

Your can also just shift to 2ndn from a stop if you prefer.

I prefer driving in manual mode and while it's fun to shift from 2nd to 1st I wouldn't recommend it, sounds like it might be hard on the car, just let the car handle it when in 2nd coming to a stop.

Be careful when down shifting if revs are low as it will shift for you to prevent stall and if you also tell it to downshift you may go from 3rd to 1st which isn't pretty, but you can't money shift it, so don't panic.

you can quickly double or triple tap paddle to attempt to jump gears.

you can hit the kick down button and down shift at the same time and the car will pick the lowest safe gear for you.

Car will roll back on you, but it has a temporary hill hold for two seconds if you have come to a complete stop, touching the gas then disengages hill hold.

The most aggressive drive logic shifting speed can really be jarring when upshifting accelerating at high rpm, this is normal.

In the slowest shift mode it's the most smooth but very lazy if you're shifting yourself.

There will be clunking noises and can be felt.

If in auto mode and sport+ the transmission assumes you want to drive fast and will hold gears at high rpm.

I personally use both the paddles and knob, just using whatever I feel like at the time. During tight turns the knob can be easier to hit than paddle. If stopped and need to make a tight turn you can launch from second instead of first.

If you're having any trouble with jerkyness or in auto with it's gear selection just be more deliberate with your feet so it can better guess what you intent is.

Really helpful, thank you! It’s a bit more involved than I thought. You seem to bring to light some best practices that if not addressed correctly have resulted or caused some of the problems I have read about from other dct users here on site that have sparked complaints.
      06-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #48
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
I launch at 3500 on really warm tires and that's what I get.....

Anything less seems to bog.
Can’t wait to get it turned on after my 1200 mile service. Though I hear from my BMW genius, , that to many launches can void the warranty, have you heard this too?
      06-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #49
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Very great full for all the help folks on my 1st time with a dct. It has saved me a lot of trial and error. Thanks to all for contributing!

As I’m still in my break in period, haven’t had a chance yet to ring her out. But I’m wondering if ever I find myself on a track or strip, is the car faster with me manually shifting or in auto mode? Assuming all setting are set equal, is the software better with or without human involvement?
      06-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #50
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Very great full for all the help folks on my 1st time with a dct. It has saved me a lot of trial and error. Thanks to all for contributing!

As I’m still in my break in period, haven’t had a chance yet to ring her out. But I’m wondering if ever I find myself on a track or strip, is the car faster with me manually shifting or in auto mode? Assuming all setting are set equal, is the software better with or without human involvement?
The auto software in D3 is pretty darn good, but you should go S2 or S3 to get around a track the fastest IMO. The instructors at M school confirmed this for me too. Besides, more fun, more control, and you’ll be a better driver for it.
      06-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #51
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
When cold, or really just whenever 1st gear can be fussy. Take care to not give it too little gas so it doesn't burn the clutch, sometimes if you give it too much it gets jerky in 1st. I tend to engage creep mode in 1st by just giving the gas a quick tap to get the car moving. This is also useful in traffic, it makes the car move at the slowest pace it can without grinding clutch. Creep mode works in reverse too.

Once it's moving in creep mode and out of wherever I parked it I'll deliberately give it a bit of throttle so it doesn't get confused then shift to 2nd at the appropriate rpm.

I prefer driving in manual mode and while it's fun to shift from 2nd to 1st I wouldn't recommend it, sounds like it might be hard on the car, just let the car handle it when in 2nd coming to a stop.

Be careful when down shifting if revs are low as it will shift for you to prevent stall and if you also tell it to downshift you may go from 3rd to 1st which isn't pretty, but you can't money shift it, so don't panic.

you can hit the kick down button and down shift at the same time and the car will pick the lowest safe gear for you.

Car will roll back on you, but it has a temporary hill hold for two seconds if you have come to a complete stop, touching the gas then disengages hill hold.

The most aggressive drive logic shifting speed can really be jarring when upshifting accelerating at high rpm, this is normal.

In the slowest shift mode it's the most smooth but very lazy if you're shifting yourself.

If in auto mode and sport+ the transmission assumes you want to drive fast and will hold gears at high rpm.

I personally use both the paddles and knob, just using whatever I feel like at the time. During tight turns the knob can be easier to hit than paddle. If stopped and need to make a tight turn you can launch from second instead of first.

If you're having any trouble with jerkyness or in auto with it's gear selection just be more deliberate with your feet so it can better guess what you intent is.
+1. Great post.
      06-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #52
NoMoreAudi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86

Garage List
2019 X6M  [0.00]
When you're stationary on an incline, don't release the brake and let the car hold itself in place via hill assist or creep forward at 1 mph. You will cause unnecessary wear on your transmission.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #53
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
+2 on "great post" above from akkando
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #54
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
Quote:

+1. Great post.
+567,998,675,412,100

I have never had a DCT and didn't know it had all these quirks.
      06-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #55
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
You are really missing out if you don’t try the kickdown feature. Mash the throttle to the floor to hit the button and then immediately hit the downshift paddle. It is a beautiful fucking thing.
JSP///M4C103.00
      06-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #56
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

One other thing to add regarding the "S3" (most aggressive shift logic) is that I've had it trigger the TC light and also chirped the tires from it being so aggressive. I would exercise caution using that for a mid corner shift on a wet track or cold tires with Dsc off. It might initiate oversteer.

I personally did not see an advantage over the "S2" program, and used that mode when I drove the car hard.

Edit: I didn't realize there was a "kickdown" feature. I always pulled the left flappy paddle to downshift to whatever gear I wanted and rolled on the throttle. "Mashing" the throttle in f80 (or any other higher HP rwd car) to get a lower gear just seems so wrong I never bothered to try it
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #57
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
One other thing to add regarding the "S3" (most aggressive shift logic) is that I've had it trigger the TC light and also chirped the tires from it being so aggressive. I would exercise caution using that for a mid corner shift on a wet track or cold tires with Dsc off. It might initiate oversteer.

I personally did not see an advantage over the "S2" program, and used that mode when I drove the car hard.

Edit: I didn't realize there was a "kickdown" feature. I always pulled the left flappy paddle to downshift to whatever gear I wanted and rolled on the throttle. "Mashing" the throttle in f80 (or any other higher HP rwd car) to get a lower gear just seems so wrong I never bothered to try it
+1 on S3. It can upset the chassis when you are on the edge. But kinda fun if you are just doing WOT acceleration. Fun to feel the crazy fast and aggressive capabilities of the DCT.

I only use the kickdown when I’m in 5th gear or above. Your concern is well founded, but if cruising in 6th or 7th on the fwy, it is fun fun fun!
      06-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #58
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

+1 on S3. It can upset the chassis when you are on the edge. But kinda fun if you are just doing WOT acceleration. Fun to feel the crazy fast and aggressive capabilities of the DCT.

I only use the kickdown when I'm in 5th gear or above. Your concern is well founded, but if cruising in 6th or 7th on the fwy, it is fun fun fun!
Kick down????
      06-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #59
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
Kick down????
Yes. There is a button on the floor under the gas pedal. When you mash the pedal, it pushes the button, and when combined with a downshift the DCT will automatically shift to the lowest available gear for the speed you are traveling. Takes off like a missile. Pretty awesome.
      06-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #60
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
Kick down????
Yes. There is a button on the floor under the gas pedal. When you mash the pedal, it pushes the button, and when combined with a downshift the DCT will automatically shift to the lowest available gear for the speed you are traveling. Takes off like a missile. Pretty awesome.
No shit. Gonna have to try that out. I have never had an auto much less a DCT, so all of this will be new to me.
      06-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #61
watm3
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 ZCP

akkando was dead on. I won't quote him again.

My experiences w/2018 M3 ZCP:
- 3 to 2 in Sport w/D2 is... not ideal most of the time. Sometimes there's an actual clunk but usually it just feels like downshifting without rev matching.
- When coming to a stop, sometimes I switch to D1 before 3 to 2.
- If I try to drive the car when it's cold on Sport D2, it will buck. Too touchy. I drive off in Efficient D1 for at least 30 seconds. Unless there are women around.
- Even in Efficient D1, it can be fussy getting to 2.
- Low speed assist or creep or whatever is great. No problems parking the car.
- Clunks & some noise but no big deal so far.
- Way different than a normal auto. I come off 10+ years with a 6-speed GTI.
- Paddle shifting is awesome, S2/S3 shifts are ferocious.
- Paddles should be mounted on the column.

Last edited by watm3; 06-13-2018 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
Graves1130.00
Hachima154.50
      06-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #62
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So it’s been almost a month now with my, first & new to me, dct.

I’m going in next week for my 1200 mile service so thereafter I’ll get more of a better feel for coming from my old 6 speed manual to the dct as I start getting into the higher rev range. I have to admit liking the shifter more than the paddles right now. I sometime get lost on paddle location when making acute hard corners out of 1st gear. Up/down just seems like an easier transition from my previous 6T stick.

Anyone else coming from a manual and using the shifter as your main gear changer?

I’m guessing the paddles will make more sense when I get to use more of the rev range? Also want to mention the dct is a really nice piece of machinery, a shame to read BMW might be moving away from it to a fully automatic unit in the future.

Thanks to all for the helpful advise.
      06-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #63
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
So it’s been almost a month now with my, first & new to me, dct.

I’m going in next week for my 1200 mile service so thereafter I’ll get more of a better feel for coming from my old 6 speed manual to the dct as I start getting into the higher rev range. I have to admit liking the shifter more than the paddles right now. I sometime get lost on paddle location when making acute hard corners out of 1st gear. Up/down just seems like an easier transition from my previous 6T stick.

Anyone else coming from a manual and using the shifter as your main gear changer?

I’m guessing the paddles will make more sense when I get to use more of the rev range? Also want to mention the dct is a really nice piece of machinery, a shame to read BMW might be moving away from it to a fully automatic unit in the future.

Thanks to all for the helpful advise.
I have found that the paddles work great at speed, when you are holding the wheel at 9 and 3 and rarely move your hands anyway. Slow speeds around corners and such when you are not holding at 9 and 3, I find using the shifter is more convenient. It does take some getting used to, but becomes second nature pretty quick. I love the DCT.