Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
GeordieMike
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F82 M4 DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Aluminium charge pipes....

So a discussion has arisen here in the UK with performance garage concerning aluminium charge pipes. They're claiming that the aluminium charge pipes heat soak the charge air resulting a loss of power (claiming up to a 20hp reduction) and advise against them.

I've tried to explain that in opinion this couldn't be possible.

So I've decided to bring it to the forum and get everyone's opinions and experience on the matter.

Thanks

Mike
AY '15 F82 M4, 615hp, Breyton fascinate-Matt Black, Continental Sport contact 5's (255/295), Eibach Pro Springs, Mperformance, JB4 Stage 3, Evolve back end flash, Eventuri Carbon Fibre Cold Air Intake, ER Charge Pipes, ER Downpipes, Eisenmann Exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Pennzoil
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

According on jb4 Bluetooth real time data, after changed CP , the IAT really higher than plastic CP on idle status , but on running the car , it seem almost the same (+/-) 2~3 degree
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Do they have any data to provide?

It shouldn't matter if the car is moving but a heat soaked car at idle and stand still might show the aluminum heat soaking more.

Regardless, if you don't want to upgrade, eventually your stock plastic one will crack.

So it really doesn't leave much choice in my eyes.

However, one could just send out the pipes to be ceramic coated or wrap them.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennzoil View Post
According on jb4 Bluetooth real time data, after changed CP , the IAT really higher than plastic CP on idle status , but on running the car , it seem almost the same (+/-) 2~3 degree
Gold reflective tape could help in this situation to keep temps down on idle
      03-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeordieMike View Post
So a discussion has arisen here in the UK with performance garage concerning aluminium charge pipes. They're claiming that the aluminium charge pipes heat soak the charge air resulting a loss of power (claiming up to a 20hp reduction) and advise against them.

So I've decided to bring it to the forum and get everyone's opinions and experience on the matter.

Thanks

Mike
We've been selling upgraded charge pipe since 2008 on boosted applications and have not come across any data to show charge air is hotter then stock when using aluminum.

All datalogs I have seen do not show any change in temp. At least not within error or ambient changes.

If the shop is claiming this you should ask them for proper data to back their claim up.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Thanks

Mike
Ask them for data to prove their claims

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
Pennzoil
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennzoil View Post
Gold reflective tape could help in this situation to keep temps down on idle
Yup ... I bought IDE reflect gold tape before , but don't know it really work or not
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Couldn't you wrap the stock charge pipe in cf strengthen it and provide some eye candy?

Would be cheaper then buying an aluminium set
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
maximumpsi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M3, 02 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks

Mike
We have full silicone charge pipes that should eliminate your concerns. I hope to have them ready in a few weeks at most. They will clear all intakes, solve the breaking issues, and take care of any potential heat soak concerns.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #10
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumpsi View Post
We have full silicone charge pipes that should eliminate your concerns. I hope to have them ready in a few weeks at most. They will clear all intakes, solve the breaking issues, and take care of any potential heat soak concerns.
Any idea of price?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:00 AM   #11
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Aluminium has a much higher/better heat transfer capability than plastic. So it will heat soak much more than a plastic piece. That is to say, it will be able to soak more of the heat in the engine compartment and transfer that to the air surrounding it. As Pennzoil wrote, that can be seen during idle with low air flow. The air flows so slow that the charge pipe transfers heat to the air. It makes less of a difference at higher rpm's since the air flows faster and has less time to get heated by the charge pipe (if the engine compartment side of the charge pipe has a higher surrounding temp than the charge air).

Which is why a radiator or chargecooler usually has a aluminium or metallic core. To take advantage of that materials heat exchange capabilities (but by surrounding the core with a lower temperature to cool down the charge air, not heat it up).

The ability to transfer temperature can be illustrated by how, on a cold day, a interior part in aluminium is cooler to the touch than a piece of plastic or leather. Both parts are at the exact same temperature. But the aluminium piece feels much colder. That's because aluminium transfers the temperature to your hand much more effectively than plastic for instance.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2016, 04:14 AM   #12
Pennzoil
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Aluminium has a much higher/better heat transfer capability than plastic. So it will heat soak much more than a plastic piece. That is to say, it will be able to soak more of the heat in the engine compartment and transfer that to the air surrounding it. As Pennzoil wrote, that can be seen during idle with low air flow. The air flows so slow that the charge pipe transfers heat to the air. It makes less of a difference at higher rpm's since the air flows faster and has less time to get heated by the charge pipe (if the engine compartment side of the charge pipe has a higher surrounding temp than the charge air).

Which is why a radiator or chargecooler usually has a aluminium or metallic core. To take advantage of that materials heat exchange capabilities (but by surrounding the core with a lower temperature to cool down the charge air, not heat it up).

The ability to transfer temperature can be illustrated by how, on a cold day, a interior part in aluminium is cooler to the touch than a piece of plastic or leather. Both parts are at the exact same temperature. But the aluminium piece feels much colder. That's because aluminium transfers the temperature to your hand much more effectively than plastic for instance.
yeah~! that's a good point , if the car really heat , i think aluminium CP will affect the IAT , just like you put your hand behind the radiator and fans , you can feel much warmer than ambient temperature , so i think it will affect IAT when the intercooler heated on a certain level....
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 04:47 AM   #13
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
For the record, this is not the first instance of aluminum being used in this context. Just look at every aftermarket boosted setup for, say, the JDM market since forever. My RX7 included. All metal. All the time.

This is a non issue.
It's not a "non issue" since aluminium DO have different heat transfer characteristics to plastic. Aluminium WILL transfer more temperature to the air inside the charge pipe. Which also means that cooling the aluminium charge pipe with dry ice will help cool the charge air more than if you did the same to the plastic pipes.

But the effect probably won't be very noticeable during higher air flow. And, if the temperature on the outside of the charge pipes is cooler than the charge air inside the pipe, then aluminium charge pipes will be beneficial to cooling the charge air. Also the delta between outside and inside temperature needs to be high enough to actually make a difference. So, during driving with air flow through the engine compartment, the temperature delta is probably not huge? But at idle, the aluminium pipes will heat soak much more than the plastic pipes and heat the intake air.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 05:13 AM   #14
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
It's not a "non issue" since aluminium DO have different heat transfer characteristics to plastic. Aluminium WILL transfer more temperature to the air inside the charge pipe. Which also means that cooling the aluminium charge pipe with dry ice will help cool the charge air more than if you did the same to the plastic pipes.

But the effect probably won't be very noticeable during higher air flow. And, if the temperature on the outside of the charge pipes is cooler than the charge air inside the pipe, then aluminium charge pipes will be beneficial to cooling the charge air. Also the delta between outside and inside temperature needs to be high enough to actually make a difference. So, during driving with air flow through the engine compartment, the temperature delta is probably not huge? But at idle, the aluminium pipes will heat soak much more than the plastic pipes and heat the intake air.
Sooo... Long Story short...

BMS and ER Charge Pipes are a-ok! And we are all okie dokie? :P
      03-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #15
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

I agree with Railgun, for once lol. Academically, yes, aluminum will transfer ambient heat to the air better than plastic.

But if we're talking about this as a performance issue, then what matters is how it performs under boost. So now we're talking about rapidly moving pressurized air from the turbos (already hot), which is about to enter the intercooler. That air is going to be moving fast, and it's going to get cooled before entering the plenum. I say non-issue.
      03-11-2016, 06:45 AM   #16
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
You've disagreed with me before?

I'm the type to just silently shake my head. I assume others do the same at my posts.
      03-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #17
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
I agree with Railgun, for once lol. Academically, yes, aluminum will transfer ambient heat to the air better than plastic.

But if we're talking about this as a performance issue, then what matters is how it performs under boost. So now we're talking about rapidly moving pressurized air from the turbos (already hot), which is about to enter the intercooler. That air is going to be moving fast, and it's going to get cooled before entering the plenum. I say non-issue.
Fo regular use it's probably not an issue. Drag racing (since it seems a few M3/M4 owners use their car on the drag strip) could be a bit different though. Car sits at idle, waiting in line, burn out, sitting at the tree. No air flowing through the engine bay. Guess the alu charge pipes can get pretty hot under these circumstances...

There is a reason drag racers use dry ice to cool down the intake manifold/system between runs...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #18
GeordieMike
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F82 M4 DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Thanks for all the reply's, its seems like a good debate.

I have asked for date of their findings but haven't been able to get hold of the data.

For the record I am already running ER charge pipes.

this is more to the fact that the said garage started developing their own charge pipes but have since stopped due to insisting they lost 20hp during testing.....
AY '15 F82 M4, 615hp, Breyton fascinate-Matt Black, Continental Sport contact 5's (255/295), Eibach Pro Springs, Mperformance, JB4 Stage 3, Evolve back end flash, Eventuri Carbon Fibre Cold Air Intake, ER Charge Pipes, ER Downpipes, Eisenmann Exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #19
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the reply's, its seems like a good debate.

I have asked for date of their findings but haven't been able to get hold of the data.

For the record I am already running ER charge pipes.

this is more to the fact that the said garage started developing their own charge pipes but have since stopped due to insisting they lost 20hp during testing.....
Could be a flow related issue as well...

However, dyno testing with insufficient air flow will also cause heat soak and aluminium pipes would be more susceptible to that than the std plastic pipes.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #20
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I think like mentioned above under real world conditions there should be no issues.

Sitting in traffic even the FMIC heat soaks..

Mike
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #21
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
I've had great results with my '00 Supercharged Steeda GT and '03 Evo 8. Both had CP's (and intake piping) in aluminum and never had issues. The Steeda made a noticable seat of the pants difference.

I'm planning on adding CP's to the F80 eventually. Just don't think the retail price & design of the current available options are worth it.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #22
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

non issue

air does not stay in the tubing long enough to "heat soak"
Appreciate 0