GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

06-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #155
///M-Furby
Master Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
Can we all kiss and make up now?
Why not. We are all M owners which makes us better than 99% of all Camry/Honda owners.
"Boo" CPO 2006 330xi | Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #156
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Furby View Post
Why not. We are all M owners which makes us better than 99% of all Camry/Honda owners.
Lol. I can’t stand Honda’s and Camrys. I actually think everything Honda/Toyota/Lexus makes is just butt ugly.
      06-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #157
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Lol. I can’t stand Honda’s and Camrys. I actually think everything Honda/Toyota/Lexus makes is just butt ugly.
A friend recently bought a new Honda Accord. I drove it and thought it was an excellent car.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #158
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
These are interesting general propositions about the evolution of chassis design, but my sense is that the F8x chassis is very well balanced (though it can certainly get tail happy with the application of power), and that it performs admirably with DSC off. I agree that an understeer configuration is easier to control in an emergency maneuver, and that DSC can enhance stability in such a situation, but I’m skeptical that DSC *improves* the F8x’s handling. It certainly doesn’t improve the fun factor.
It doesn't, and nobody is saying it does. It does improve stability, however, which will improve the vehicles handling in an emergency maneuver.
      06-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #159
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Also, another key point: until a human can manually apply braking or torque individually to one or more corners in order to correct an undesirable yaw situation, it will be impossible for a human to have better car control capability than a modern ESC system. You may be able to drive faster than the computer will let you, but you cannot deal with an emergency situation better than the computer.
      06-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #160
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Quote:
Lol. I can't stand Honda's and Camrys. I actually think everything Honda/Toyota/Lexus makes is just butt ugly.
A friend recently bought a new Honda Accord. I drove it and thought it was an excellent car.
The new accord is getting great reviews so this is not surprising at all. And the sport model has a detuned version of the civic type R motor.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #161
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Also, another key point: until a human can manually apply braking or torque individually to one or more corners in order to correct an undesirable yaw situation, it will be impossible for a human to have better car control capability than a modern ESC system. You may be able to drive faster than the computer will let you, but you cannot deal with an emergency situation better than the computer.
A few weeks ago a friend and I were returning from the Greenwich Concours and heading back to my house in Lime Rock, CT. My friend was driving my Jaguar and we were on route 684 (a 4 lane Interstate) in the left lane passing a string of cars when someone suddenly came into our lane without signaling and cut us off. We braked smoothly and slowed down enough to let the driver that cut us off in. I did not think much about what happened until my friend (who was driving) said "I did not do that, the car did that".

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #162
boi222
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3m competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Based on your forum name your post doesn't surprise me one bit.

People in this thread ultimately have their hearts in the right place for the OP as well as other people on the road. Last thing we want to see is another post about an accident involving a member.

Your post is typical of younger folks these days. Just because you can drift in Forza doesn't mean you can in real life. Unfortunately this attitude will make people find out the hard way. Not questioning your skills since i don't know you. YOU could be a legit race car driver with credentials to back it up but most people aren't.
lol "not questioning your skills since i don't know you."....." Your post is typical of younger folks these days. Just because you can drift in Forza doesn't mean you can in real life." :

"People in this thread ultimately have their hearts in the right place for the OP as well as other people on the road. "

Most do, however, some just have a strong sense of holier than thou attitude. A simple " be careful bro" might have been more effective communication. If your heart was really in the right place, people would not type on here like self-righteous know it alls. Everyone saying he is a danger to the public, is a hypocrite; everyone here is completely deviant of all sins. Never had a few drinks and drove...Never texted...never ate a burrito and drove stick

Honestly, I can't drift nor would consider myself a good driver when the car loses traction. HOWEVER ,I drive DSC off frequently because THE GAS PEDAL controls the traction of this car and I know how to modulate the throttle. I learned what turning traction control off does in my G35; when I mashed the gas turning ... in the M Just a simple 1 to2 shift will cut power; but, DSC off it will just be a quick chirp and out. Idk why this is all so hard to grasp. The DSC is very intelligent and has saved me, but in straight line acceleration you really gotta be rookie to lose complete control of the car. I test the car in MDM mode, not DSC off.

The picture painted here is that he is driving a veyron without the TC on public roads. Yes the F8x is extremely tail happy and the boost hitting like a raped ape at 3k doesn't help the cause. But goddamn, this is car forum isn't it?

I drive in MDM 90/10 DSC off in summer.
Winter full DSC 95%/5% MDM

That is what I am comfortable with, and that is the way I shall drive.

This thread is completely off the rails, and I am out. Let OP be and does what he wants.

" Be extra careful with DSC off bro "
"Having a few drinks and drove" is definitely a no no.... there should be no argument or debate about that ...
'12 M3 coupe
'09 335xi coupe
'07 328xi coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 06:57 AM   #163
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi222 View Post
"Having a few drinks and drove" is definitely a no no.... there should be no argument or debate about that ...
I wholeheartedly agree against drunk driving so don't take what I say out of context but what I meant by a few is ---( I had a huge agrgument with a professor about how much a "few" entailed)
a small number of.
"may I ask a few questions?"
synonyms: a small number, a handful, one or two, a couple, two or three;

I meant 3 max which would put most of us at legal limit. Not being impaired and driving...that's not cool
Appreciate 2
boi222187.00
      06-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #164
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
Not sure - I think he was just talking generally about modern systems as in systems in cars made within the last few years.

What really surprised me what that Ross said he advises his students to leave it on because he thinks you can use it to make you faster. I had never really thought about it that way. I know on my E92 M3 it kicked in all the time on the track even when I knew my inputs were correct. I haven't had my F80 on the track so I don't know how it compares.
It is just as bad on F8X as on the E9X. I would even say in some circumstances, it is worse on the F8X because it tries too much to amticipate loss of traction making many useless interventions. The interventions themeselves are much smoother on the F8X though and cannot be felt as much as on E9X.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #165
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
I think this is right. To put more of a fine point on it, as these systems continue to develop, chassis tuning becomes less of a priority. It's more cost effective to tune the chassis though electronics rather than by traditional mechanical components. This means that with the car may actually be less predictable and perform worse with the systems turned off.
Maybe you are talking in general terms, but for ///M cars I would disagree with that. I track my cars with DSC off so I am not judging here by what the electronics can do, and the F8X is by far the best handling and more predictable chassis of all the three ///Ms geneartions I have owned thus far (E46, E92 and F82). Even if it was very good, the E46 was the worst of the 3, with a nasty habit of tank slapping on oversteer recovery. The chassis tuning keeps getting better and better with each generation IMO.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-28-2018 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #166
///M-Furby
Master Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 SO

Quote:
I haven't driven it, but the new Camry seems to be an improvement. Looks way better.

The Lexus RC F...i liked the NA engine, when I test drove it 3 years ago...it's just very cramped, and the Lexus electronics is confusing. In the RC F official press material (found at the dealership)...it said the RC F was the answer to the M3...I lol'd a bit, then puked in my mouth. It isn't.

The backseat in the RC F is laughable. At least the M4 back seat can fit adults (not 6'00" tall)
"Boo" CPO 2006 330xi | Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #167
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Agreed. Exactly the point I made in post #15

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 11:22 AM   #168
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
The OP's question, however, was not, "does DSC help keep the car stable in an emergency maneuver?" I don't really think there has ever been any controversy about that. The OP's question was, "does anybody DD with DSC fully off?" The answer to that question is "yes," but then most of the thread became about whether you are the Devil incarnate for doing so. The answer to that question is a matter of opinion. And once you start throwing stones, you need to check whether you are living in a glass house.