BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-24-2019, 12:54 AM   #45
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
The best radar detector depends on what threats exist in your area. Where do you live? Some detectors are better than others in certain areas. I'd avoid the V1 since they are outdated and noisy due to blind spot detection systems on most cars nowadays which emit radar.
I live in Los Angeles, specifically century city, but commute all over town due to the fact that I'ms Real Estate Broker. I also go to the canyons monthly to let off some steam and I'm sure there are cops with radars there as well.
I'm in socal as well. I run both Uniden R3 and R7. It's been awfully quiet though... I disable X & K band all together and run Ka segmentation to keep it quiet and improve range.

Most city cops will use laser or Ka POP but CHP uses pure KA with the occasional camper using laser (fast trak toll roads)
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 01:46 AM   #46
kevolution
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Are you running R7 with K-band on? If K band is on do you have it turned down or did you happen to be running city mode (in which case K band sensitivity will be set around 20% of normal)

Are you running with custom Ka band sweeps or just using the default R7 Ka "wide" setting? A lot of Stalker guns get out of tune and their frequency can drift out of bounds if you're running custom Ka sweeps.

Possible he used instant on, but if so the detector would have gone off.

If it didn't go off and he did use K or Ka "Pop" the detector would not have gone off (it's like a 67 millisecond burst), BUT pop mode has a high variance in readings so they can use it to check your speed but cannot write you a ticket based on that and it won't hold up in court. They can check your speed with Pop but then need to turn the radar on to actually check your speed in which case the gun would have gone off.

If he was stationary using laser R7 might not go off at all, it isn't very laser sensitive.

Look on the ticket as well, there should be something like method (stalker, prowler, VASCAR, aircraft, visual, lidar...etc.) which may inform how he gagued your speed. If he used radar on someone close to you R7 would have gone off.

Also stupid but you volume is not accidentally turned down and the area isn't an area you previously "locked out" by gps?

Sorry I know it's a lot but hope some of this helps...
Wow, great post! Thanks a lot for the enlightenment. I didn't have the volume down because I did catch a few Ka reads on the way out from NOLA but I got the ticket outside of Lake Charles. I'm 99% sure nothing went off on the detector, and I definitely did break suddenly. I'll need to check the ticket again but I don't remember it saying anything about a method of reading. I had the R7 tuned to the standard settings on Vortex (https://www.vortexradar.com/2019/04/...adar-detector/)

My best guess was he used laser since he was stationary or maybe he lasered a nearby car and decided to pull me over based on pacing?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #47
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
I'm in socal as well. I run both Uniden R3 and R7. It's been awfully quiet though... I disable X & K band all together and run Ka segmentation to keep it quiet and improve range.

Most city cops will use laser or Ka POP but CHP uses pure KA with the occasional camper using laser (fast trak toll roads)
Man so what detector does laser well?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #48
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man so what detector does laser well?
Or woman. Sorry i don’t know if your a boy or girl
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:25 PM   #49
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Or woman. Sorry i don’t know if your a boy or girl
Lol if you get hit with laser it’s game over. Your best bet is to get laser jammers.

Visit vortex radar and read up on them.

IMO I don’t think you will need laser jammers in socal since laser is rare.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:39 PM   #50
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol if you get hit with laser it’s game over. Your best bet is to get laser jammers.

IMO I don’t think you will need laser jammers in socal since laser is rare.
Ah so laser isn’t something that can be detected like radar?

I do need to read up but I’m more of a set it and forget it type of guy.

Bah.

Do you drive the canyons too? Do you know what the officers there use?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 12:16 AM   #51
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lol if you get hit with laser it's game over. Your best bet is to get laser jammers.

IMO I don't think you will need laser jammers in socal since laser is rare.
Ah so laser isn't something that can be detected like radar?

I do need to read up but I'm more of a set it and forget it type of guy.

Bah.

Do you drive the canyons too? Do you know what the officers there use?
Radar detectors are pretty much set and forget once you get the initial configuration done and fine tune it the way you like it.

Laser is difficult to detect and once you do detect it, it's too late. They already caught your speed.

Imagine trying to capture a big laser pointer using a radar detector... there is some scatter which may trigger the detector but the moment the police pull the trigger, you have been hit.

As for canyons, I haven't been hit on the canyons. I suspect it is easier to camp out behind a corner and turn on the radar and hit you with Ka. You generally need to be outside the car to shoot a laser gun but it can be done inside the car too.

A radar detector isn't fool proof. You need to be aware of your surroundings, know the speed traps and where cops like to hide and avoid speeding alone or on a empty highway. I avoid speeding at night whenever possible because you never know where an officer can/will hide in darkness. Just be smart about it and run Waze as well.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:10 AM   #52
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Radar detectors are pretty much set and forget once you get the initial configuration done and fine tune it the way you like it.

Laser is difficult to detect and once you do detect it, it's too late. They already caught your speed.

Imagine trying to capture a big laser pointer using a radar detector... there is some scatter which may trigger the detector but the moment the police pull the trigger, you have been hit.

As for canyons, I haven't been hit on the canyons. I suspect it is easier to camp out behind a corner and turn on the radar and hit you with Ka. You generally need to be outside the car to shoot a laser gun but it can be done inside the car too.

A radar detector isn't fool proof. You need to be aware of your surroundings, know the speed traps and where cops like to hide and avoid speeding alone or on a empty highway. I avoid speeding at night whenever possible because you never know where an officer can/will hide in darkness. Just be smart about it and run Waze as well.
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for that.

Now for a newb like myself and since you have both, would I be able to tell the difference in features from an R3 vs r7?

Forgive my ignorance, but i heard that the r7 has arrows, like it will tell you if something is behind you, but if that’s the case, isn’t it also too late since they have been following you all along and know your speed?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #53
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for that.

Now for a newb like myself and since you have both, would I be able to tell the difference in features from an R3 vs r7?

Forgive my ignorance, but i heard that the r7 has arrows, like it will tell you if something is behind you, but if that’s the case, isn’t it also too late since they have been following you all along and know your speed?
Ka band emits more scatter and you have potentially 1-3 mile detection range in perfect conditions (flat road, no curves/elevation/terrain changes).

Radar will pick up this scatter way before the cop will have seen you/get your speed (they are not going to see you speeding from a mile away - but you’ll pick up their radar before they have a chance to see you/read your speed).

Keep in mind CHP will NOT leave their radar on all the time. They will creep up, turn on their radar to pick up the speed of the cars around them then shut it off again. Police radar can pick up the fastest traveling car on the highway (for example, if there are 4 cars in front of the cop and all of them are doing 65 except for one who is doing 80, radar can pick out the fastest car from all 4).

I would get the R7 so you can build situational awareness and know where the threats are so you improve your “speeding IQ” due to the arrows. After a few years of running arrows, you’ll be better equipped to understand how signal strength and terrain conditions impact radar sensitivity and you’ll be better able to read non-arrow detectors.

For example, you are driving straight and you pick up a weak Ka band signal. You keep driving and the signal gets stronger. As a result, the threat is in front of you because you are driving towards it and the signal is getting stronger. However if your signal is getting weaker, then you are driving away from the threat and the signal is coming from behind you.

Having arrows helps because if a signal flips from coming from in front of you to behind you, you know the cop is on the other side of the freeway and has just passed you going the other way.

Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #54
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ka band emits more scatter and you have potentially 1-3 mile detection range in perfect conditions (flat road, no curves/elevation/terrain changes).

Radar will pick up this scatter way before the cop will have seen you/get your speed (they are not going to see you speeding from a mile away - but you’ll pick up their radar before they have a chance to see you/read your speed).

Keep in mind CHP will NOT leave their radar on all the time. They will creep up, turn on their radar to pick up the speed of the cars around them then shut it off again. Police radar can pick up the fastest traveling car on the highway (for example, if there are 4 cars in front of the cop and all of them are doing 65 except for one who is doing 80, radar can pick out the fastest car from all 4).

I would get the R7 so you can build situational awareness and know where the threats are so you improve your “speeding IQ” due to the arrows. After a few years of running arrows, you’ll be better equipped to understand how signal strength and terrain conditions impact radar sensitivity and you’ll be better able to read non-arrow detectors.

For example, you are driving straight and you pick up a weak Ka band signal. You keep driving and the signal gets stronger. As a result, the threat is in front of you because you are driving towards it and the signal is getting stronger. However if your signal is getting weaker, then you are driving away from the threat and the signal is coming from behind you.

Having arrows helps because if a signal flips from coming from in front of you to behind you, you know the cop is on the other side of the freeway and has just passed you going the other way.

Make sense?
Thank you! Completely understand now.

If you’re in the LA area we should all do a canyon drive soon!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #55
Modified_f80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 going G80 2016 Dodge scat

I love my R7!
You will be a lot safer with a laser jammer. Vortex does lots of videos on comparison.
2014 Audi S4
2004 Built Subaru WRX with GT35r rotated manifold 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #56
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modified_f80 View Post
I love my R7!
You will be a lot safer with a laser jammer. Vortex does lots of videos on comparison.
I ended up getting the R3 just to see how I like the radar detectors. I like it so far and will just keep it for a bit. This with Waze seems to work.

I thought laser jammers were illegal in California?

Anyways, one thing that I don't get with radar detectors is that I get random LASER warnings, but I don't see any cops shooting at me or anything. So its odd. Freaks me out though. haha
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #57
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Works extremely well in NYC as NYPD pretty much exclusively uses radar and I've yet to see lidar in city limits. That being said, if you live here, you should also remember that we have fake courts at the DMV with no plea bargains so you can be pulled over with no proof, given a ticket and still lose in court. #JustDemocratThings
Appreciate 0