Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-28-2023, 02:50 AM   #1
Irfip
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

Clicking Sound when turning the wheel

Hi all

Just bought my first m4 and am hearing this tick tick noise when turning the wheel to the left, I have no idea what it is and it's kinda ruining the experience of really enjoying the car. It only happen whilst the wheel is moving and can determine if its coming from the front or back, had underneath checked on the ramp and guy said everything looks fine. Wondering if anybody had the same problem, sounds a bit like a nail stuck in a tyre

You can hear the clicking noise about 6 seconds into the video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EOa...w?usp=drivesdk

Any help from you experts would be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 05:59 AM   #2
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

The video didn't work for me. It based on your description you might want to try installing what BMW calls "friction discs." You can search that term on the forum to find a thread on the topic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 06:28 AM   #3
gerri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F83 - E46 318Ci Cabrio

It's a known problem on many M's. There are many videos and discussions about this. It happens to me too, dirt and oxidation between the hub and the disc and between the disc and the wheel rim. Cleaned everything well, stopped for a while then started again. Now I live with it because I know it's "almost" normal. Some have put the friction discs but have not solved. Look for threads as there are other reasons why it does this as well.

Your car does this very little.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 08:53 AM   #4
Irfip
Registered
Rep

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EOaslzS-EpYEPL8vHH8ahETapOFGknCJ/view?usp=drivesdk

Am not sure why the video didn't work, I've just tried to re paste the link

I've seen a few videos where the car makes a noise whilst it's stationary and moving the steering all way to the left and then all way to the righy, but mines doesn't do that, mine only makes the noise when your driving it and do a sharp left turn, would that still be friction plate related. Thanks for all the help by the way people really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 10:51 AM   #5
gerri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F83 - E46 318Ci Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irfip View Post

I've seen a few videos where the car makes a noise whilst it's stationary and moving the steering all way to the left and then all way to the righy, but mines doesn't do that, mine only makes the noise when your driving it and do a sharp left turn, would that still be friction plate related. Thanks for all the help by the way people really appreciate it

You will also find many videos in which the noise makes it in motion to compare with yours
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 08:26 PM   #6
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

I couldn’t hear anything like a tic tic tic on the video but from what you describe it sounds like what I had when I picked up my CPO 2016 F83 (or had 14k miles on it at the time). I had it taken care of at the dealer. I’m not home till tomorrow so when I get to my folder I’ll send post a pic of the work they did to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 05:22 AM   #7
Irfip
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebiker View Post
I couldn’t hear anything like a tic tic tic on the video but from what you describe it sounds like what I had when I picked up my CPO 2016 F83 (or had 14k miles on it at the time). I had it taken care of at the dealer. I’m not home till tomorrow so when I get to my folder I’ll send post a pic of the work they did to fix it.
Hi

Many thanks for your reply

I've just created a new video hopefully will be able to hear it better on this

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fbf...w?usp=drivesdk

I even had the car on the jack today and spun the front wheel round but couldn't hear anything, starting to think if it's the rear wheel making the noise. Only happens when I turn my steering to the left whilst being In motion. Very frustrating indeed
Hopefully that new video will work and the metel ticking sound will be heard.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 09:24 PM   #8
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Here is the service order for when my car had those symptoms. Hope this helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
The_Werm212.00
      05-31-2023, 05:51 AM   #9
1dopef80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3CS

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all

Just bought my first m4 and am hearing this tick tick noise when turning the wheel to the left, I have no idea what it is and it's kinda ruining the experience of really enjoying the car. It only happen whilst the wheel is moving and can determine if its coming from the front or back, had underneath checked on the ramp and guy said everything looks fine. Wondering if anybody had the same problem, sounds a bit like a nail stuck in a tyre

You can hear the clicking noise about 6 seconds into the video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EOa...w?usp=drivesdk

Any help from you experts would be much appreciated
I’m having this Same issue please lmk if u find a fix thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 10:16 AM   #10
Irfip
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dopef80 View Post
I’m having this Same issue please lmk if u find a fix thanks.
Try pulling the break shield back, I think it's sorted my issue out, let me know
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 08:02 PM   #11
Pewtinn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Very common problem with aftermarket springs/coilovers, including my very own KW HAS kit. I went into a very deep rabbit hole finding a solution to this fix.
Check out this thread -
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1618945

You need to buy new strut collar bolts (they are x1 time use) and torque it further than oem torque spec. Make sure you apply anti seize there too. Also follow the youtube video by Tommy L Garage in the last page (bending the bracket back).

A combination of all that has fixed 95% of my clicks/pops when turning the steering wheel at standstill and at low speeds. I do get occasional clicks from the coil binding though, but much much more liveable.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 11:12 PM   #12
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Try this. Start stationary in a parking lot, turn the wheel sharply and start driving in a tight circle. If the nail in the tire sound begins and increases with vehicle speed then I’m pretty sure it’s a front wheel bearing. If the noise goes away when driving straight or does not occur when turning in the other direction, then I’m pretty positive it is a front wheel bearing.

They start to click when they are going bad, when you turn and put added load on the outside front tire, it makes the bad wheel bearing tick and make noise. When you turn in the other direction, the load goes away on the bad bearing and it will stop ticking. You can also look at the inside of the wheel bearing. Usually when they are going bad they start leaking grease. The good news is it’s an easy diy that doesn’t cost a pile of money.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 07:10 PM   #13
1dopef80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3CS

Garage List
Quote:
Try pulling the break shield back, I think it's sorted my issue out, let me know
Sounds good I’ll try it thanks
Appreciate 0