GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-24-2023, 07:26 PM   #1
F80mar
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Very loud screech when applying brakes

Hey everyone, I was driving my car earlier and I noticed the brakes were squeaking very loud. I’ve heard them squeak before but not this loud. I checked my rotors and pads and my rotors do seem to have a lip, my pads look like they have a bit left but i’m not really sure if they need replacing. Does this sound like I need to replace my brakes? Id really appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Here is a link to the noise:
https://youtube.com/shorts/GvDovPZ6Z...LtDE6zG5mPjX-v

Noise
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 07:31 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80mar View Post
Hey everyone, I was driving my car earlier and I noticed the brakes were squeaking very loud. I’ve heard them squeak before but not this loud. I checked my rotors and pads and my rotors do seem to have a lip, my pads look like they have a bit left but i’m not really sure if they need replacing. Does this sound like I need to replace my brakes? Id really appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Here is a link to the noise:
https://youtube.com/shorts/GvDovPZ6Z...LtDE6zG5mPjX-v

Noise

What does Idrive say for the life of the pads? Are you on OEM pads and rotors?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 07:38 PM   #3
F80mar
United_States
Rep

I just checked it and it says I have 29000 miles until I need to replace the front and rear brake pads. I just bought the car a few months ago with 69k miles on it, it has an extensive service history through bmw, but on all of the services it only says brakes checked, nothing about the brakes being replaced. I’m sure they probably replaced the brakes once in the 69k miles but maybe BMW didn’t input it in the Carfax? I’m not really sure
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 07:58 PM   #4
krudmunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Have you tried reaching your hands between your wheels and push out the rotor dust shield? Super common for rock/debris to get stuck and make screeching sound on both standard and CCB brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 08:02 PM   #5
F80mar
United_States
Rep

Yes i’ve actually had this happen to me before, I was hearing a horrible screeching sound and there turned out to be a pebble in my brake dust shield. But that sound was occurring even when I wasn’t applying the brakes, this sound only happens when I press the brakes with a decent bit of force.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 08:49 PM   #6
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
If it is only happening when you step on your brakes then it could be two things. Part of your brakes have been replaced at one point and the parts were wrong, it took some time for the noise to show up. It has happened to me before and the only way for you to know this is the case is for the dealership to diagnose it in person. If the dealership is able to verify that everything looks fine then...

Other is just the cold. If you are in SoCal right now, it is pretty cold and these brakes gets very noisy when it is cold out and it is hard for the brakes to heat up. If you do take it to a dealership and they say nothing is wrong with your brakes, then it is just the cold in SoCal that is causing the noise and there isn't anything wrong. Performance brakes very very squeaky/noisy when it is cold and unable to warm up. This is the case for BMW iron brakes and BMW CCBs.

Pebble in dust shield have a different noise to it, it is a constant screech.
      12-25-2023, 08:33 PM   #7
Bimba_440i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Vert

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
If it is only happening when you step on your brakes then it could be two things. Part of your brakes have been replaced at one point and the parts were wrong, it took some time for the noise to show up. It has happened to me before and the only way for you to know this is the case is for the dealership to diagnose it in person. If the dealership is able to verify that everything looks fine then...

Other is just the cold. If you are in SoCal right now, it is pretty cold and these brakes gets very noisy when it is cold out and it is hard for the brakes to heat up. If you do take it to a dealership and they say nothing is wrong with your brakes, then it is just the cold in SoCal that is causing the noise and there isn't anything wrong. Performance brakes very very squeaky/noisy when it is cold and unable to warm up. This is the case for BMW iron brakes and BMW CCBs.

Pebble in dust shield have a different noise to it, it is a constant screech.
I’ve got the CCB’s as well and this sound is 100% from cold rotors. It’s super common on ccb sets, and a pebble would sound different. Don’t worry about it. If you want to MAYBE get rid of that noise you can buy new pads but I would not drop $800 for a maybe. To each their own though
Appreciate 0