EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-09-2022, 08:38 AM   #45
Mfan82
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Any update on replacing the transmission? How did it work out with the mechatronic and vin number recognition? Any advise or confirmation is welcome I'm having exactly the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 01:42 PM   #46
r!der
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i

2015 F80 M3 with 51,000 miles. Having the "same" issue.
Noise from the transmission. It's more of a rotational hum and grinding. Local shop (not dealer) that specializes with BMW and Mini took a look and said it's the DCT transmission (output side) and recommended buying a used transmission and swapping.

Can the existing control unit be programmed to work with a transmission swap?
Better yet, is there a way to rebuild the output bearings?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 03:38 PM   #47
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

guys, you don t need reprogram the new gearbox, tcu is a separate part. You move the tcu on other gearbox and just readapt it at first start for basics pressures etc(this also is necesary if you replace the gearbox or oil). You can swap with mecathronic or separate.
PS: TCU is on the mecathronic in a few screws, just unscrew and take out and install it on the new donor gearbox.
Appreciate 1
Mfan820.00
      10-17-2022, 03:42 PM   #48
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfan82 View Post
Any update on replacing the transmission? How did it work out with the mechatronic and vin number recognition? Any advise or confirmation is welcome I'm having exactly the same issue.
Mechatronic is just a valves bank used to control the pressures for gears, clutches etc, tcu is the computer and you just swap the tcu from old gearbox to the new gearbox(doesn t matter if gearbox is new or second hand is same thing). Tcu is in the same box with mechatronic.
Appreciate 1
Mfan820.00
      10-17-2022, 03:51 PM   #49
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
I didn't have time to send the old trans out for a rebuild or diag so found one used with about 30K miles from a crashed CS. Grabbed the FEM for programming and it has been working great since. And yes if you're swapping in a USED transmission that is vinlocked you will need the FEM or DME to reprogram to your current setup. RK Tunes did the programming for me, Farley Eurotech of Natick did the install.

EDIT: The reason I didn't simply do a mecha transfer is because it seemed like a valve issue and not just failed gears or clutches.
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5461.50
Mfan820.00
      05-06-2023, 04:46 PM   #50
Mfan82
Rep

Hi,

I noticed exactly the same sound from my F80, but it sometimes makes the sound after the shift when accelerating around 3000rpm seconds after shifting in 3rd or 4th. If you put it in reverse same sound but not always.

I had the diff checked just to be sure and it was ok. But this can certainly be the gearbox synchro and or the clutch? When replacing dct do you also recommend replacing the clutch ? The car has 120k km.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 06:54 PM   #51
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Hi,

I noticed exactly the same sound from my F80, but it sometimes makes the sound after the shift when accelerating around 3000rpm seconds after shifting in 3rd or 4th. If you put it in reverse same sound but not always.

I had the diff checked just to be sure and it was ok. But this can certainly be the gearbox synchro and or the clutch? When replacing dct do you also recommend replacing the clutch ? The car has 120k km.
I’m not sure it’s a clutch pack issue, but might be in your case. The noise was always consistent on the original trans; auto 3-4 and manual 2-3 it made the same noise. Ended up finding a broken shift rod once eventually it was opened up but clutches themselves looked great so not sure what specifically caused the failure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 06:26 PM   #52
Mfan82
Rep

Hi,

Transmission replaced, broken shift rod.
Clutch was great but after clutch relearn procedure now very rough shifting occurs and rolling in first gear. Seems like a clutch adaptation issue, any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 10:38 AM   #53
Mfan82
Rep

andrei.m4 McIntoshMotorSports

Do you know if the clutch relearning needs to be done once or it is recommended to do it again after testing or codes need to be deleted? We Used the standard clutch relearning program (pressure/torque etc) step by step.
It seems rev match is not done and it shifts rough even in d1. Sometimes hesitation on traction and power so I assume this is also torque curve learning related.
Original computer is transferred and clutch from the new gearbox is used.

Gearbox seems fine the sound is gone.
Clutch was like new when checked.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 08:35 PM   #54
undermine
UnderminE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Funny those photos are of one of my dct. Check your oil levels with the car jacked in the air or on a lift. You want to use ista for oil balancing you basically rev the engine at about 2k for a minute to bleed out air. You fill it until fuild is streaming out and cap in between temps 30-40 again with it streaming. You press the brake when done with the procedure, it then saves the measurements of the oil level in the trans, run the valve adaptations basically neutral 2500 rpm exactly, just follow the steps hardest part is holding it at 2500, try not to go beyond 2500 when doing this. Gear box adaptations and if you have a good working trans you should be fine after these steps. This is all stuff the dealer can do for you just try to find someone honest.

Quote:
andrei.m4 McIntoshMotorSports

Do you know if the clutch relearning needs to be done once or it is recommended to do it again after testing or codes need to be deleted? We Used the standard clutch relearning program (pressure/torque etc) step by step.
It seems rev match is not done and it shifts rough even in d1. Sometimes hesitation on traction and power so I assume this is also torque curve learning related.
Original computer is transferred and clutch from the new gearbox is used.

Gearbox seems fine the sound is gone.
Clutch was like new when checked.
Appreciate 0