Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-29-2021, 02:42 PM   #23
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Ended up getting the Stilo ST5 GT Carbon SA2020. Wanted the FN but no one has it in stock.
It does feel lighter than my Bell M4, but fit isn't super great now around the jaw area. Hopefully the pads break in a bit.

Wanted to try the Bell M8 or M8 Carbon to compare to this but no one has any Bell in stock either it seems. One vendor had a RS7 but I was told it fits more like an Arai when compared to most Bell helmets.

It's been an annoying process trying to get a helmet this year.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 05:18 PM   #24
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

GForce, real Chinese Carbon Fiber. Plus a Simpson Hans Device.
I believe the model is GF3.
I believe I paid about $300 for the helmet.

If you get serious on track driving you will soon realize the cost of the helmet is really small compared to all the other track driving costs.
Attached Images

Last edited by Suds; 05-29-2021 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #25
silverbackf8x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SSII F80 & F82

Sparco SKY RF-7W
https://www.sparcousa.com/product/sky-rf-7w

I’ve had a lot of helmets and the lighter the better, the weight wears you done for extended periods runs.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #26
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
Ended up getting the Stilo ST5 GT Carbon SA2020. Wanted the FN but no one has it in stock.
It does feel lighter than my Bell M4, but fit isn't super great now around the jaw area. Hopefully the pads break in a bit.

Wanted to try the Bell M8 or M8 Carbon to compare to this but no one has any Bell in stock either it seems. One vendor had a RS7 but I was told it fits more like an Arai when compared to most Bell helmets.

It's been an annoying process trying to get a helmet this year.
Ended up returning the Stilo and got a Simpson Devil Ray Carbon.

I was running out of options as the Stilo and Arai did not fit well. I guess I could have tried an even larger Stilo but the whole process was getting annoying. There are half a dozen other brands I could have tried as well...

I've very happy with this Simpson as side by side with the Stilo, there's very little difference in terms of quality at less than half the cost. The Stilo is definitely more padded but also has a much larger shell to do this, and is much less comfortable. From what I can tell all the internal padding on the Simpson is replaceable unlike other helmets I've used.
The Simpsons fit is also closer to Bell which also fit me well, so I guess I know what brands to continue to shop going forward.
Both the Simpson and Bell helmet I have had do not have padding in the front chin area unlike the Stilo which does. Not sure how this compares in terms of protection, but I figure Simpson and Bell know what they're doing.

Lastly, the Simpson helmet came with both a traditional liner bag and a quality heavy duty helmet bag. The $2000 Stilo just came with a liner bag.

Wish I could have tried on some of the higher end Bell helmets but no one has any Bell helmets it seems.

Last edited by MaX PL; 06-07-2021 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 01:20 PM   #27
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

I've got chubby cheeks... And almost every time I go to the track, within 10 minutes of me taking of my helmet, I somehow manage to bite the inside of my cheek.
I'm sure it's because of the helmet pushing my cheeks together like auntie diane making kissy lips.
Appreciate 0