Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

03-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
mdlex389
Private
Rep
Drives: F80M3 E60M5

Looking for a shop to do charcoal delete

I know it's a relatively easy DIY job but I do not have the tools and the want to DIY. Could you guys point me in the right direction?

BTW I am new here. Look forward to being a part of the community.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
jhigg85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas Marina Blue 15 M3

Welcome. I would hate to see you have to pay to get that done. I try and DIY as many things as possible cuz most places you get charged an M tax. Meaning they try and charge you more because of your F8x.
You only need 2-3 tools to get this job done. You have to take the carbon strut off in order to get to the airboxes. Many videos on YouTube also would recommend replacing air filters with either BMC or K&N drop ins. The latter being the cheaper option
Appreciate 1
Rokoz293.00
      03-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I mean this respectfully, but if you can't handle a screwdriver and a socket, just leave the filters in there. Seriously, you won't notice the difference. I sure didn't.
Appreciate 1
Rokoz293.00
      03-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
mdlex389
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I mean this respectfully, but if you can't handle a screwdriver and a socket, just leave the filters in there. Seriously, you won't notice the difference. I sure didn't.
Thanks for the warm welcome. If you read my post, I did not say anything about being unable to use a screw driver. I clearly said I do not have the WANT to DIY.

Make sure you read the question before offering your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlex389 View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome. If you read my post, I did not say anything about being unable to use a screw driver. I clearly said I do not have the WANT to DIY.

I did read it, and as someone who has done it (it's a 10 minute job), I'm saying that you won't even be able to notice after they're taken off, so it isn't worth the effort to find a shop to do it. It's more effort for you to find a shop, drive there and back, and pay for the labor than it is to pick up a screwdriver and socket from the hardware store or Amazon, so I was honestly just trying to spare you the effort for a meaningless modification.

I was never insulting your physical ability. But desire or lack thereof also goes into being able to handle a job, much like how I'd much rather not jack up the car to do an exhaust swap on my back with 2 ft of clearance. It's annoying, even though I'm sure most people are plenty capable.

Welcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Luc@Speed&Tech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 & E92 M3

Pm'd
23585 Overland Drive STE-#178
Sterling, VA 20166
www.SpeedAndTech.com (Currently under construction)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
mdlex389
Private
Rep

Quote:
I did read it, and as someone who has done it (it's a 10 minute job), I'm saying that you won't even be able to notice after they're taken off, so it isn't worth the effort to find a shop to do it. It's more effort for you to find a shop, drive there and back, and pay for the labor than it is to pick up a screwdriver and socket from the hardware store or Amazon, so I was honestly just trying to spare you the effort for a meaningless modification.

I was never insulting your physical ability. But desire or lack thereof also goes into being able to handle a job, much like how I'd much rather not jack up the car to do an exhaust swap on my back with 2 ft of clearance. It's annoying, even though I'm sure most people are plenty capable.

Welcome.
Look. I am an accountant in the middle of busy season. As much as I would love to DIY for 10 minutes, I would rather spend that 10 minutes doing something else. It's my money. It's my car. It's my time. I want to get rid of the charcoal filter regardless of outcome. I don't really give a sh*t about what you do to your car so unless you know of a shop in the area that does this, stop wasting my time.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #8
mdlex389
Private
Rep

mods please lock. I will be going to Speed&Tech. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Whoa we got a badass in here
Appreciate 3
      03-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #10
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Look. I am an accountant in the middle of busy season. As much as I would love to DIY for 10 minutes, I would rather spend that 10 minutes doing something else. It's my money. It's my car. It's my time. I want to get rid of the charcoal filter regardless of outcome. I don't really give a sh*t about what you do to your car so unless you know of a shop in the area that does this, stop wasting my time.

Before getting so defensive, understand that this gentleman is really trying to offer his genuine input and offer you some sound advice. If you knew who this guy is and what he has offered to the community, which is game changing BTW, I don't think you would blow him off in manner you did. I'm sure if you thought your vehicle sounded like crap from the factory and were looking for an alternative, yes you really would give a crap what ntg44 did with his car
Appreciate 4
      03-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #11
mdlex389
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
Before getting so defensive, understand that this gentleman is really trying to offer his genuine input and offer you some sound advice. If you knew who this guy is and what he has offered to the community, which is game changing BTW, I don't think you would blow him off in manner you did. I'm sure if you thought your vehicle sounded like crap from the factory and were looking for an alternative, yes you really would give a crap what ntg44 did with his car
I am new and do not know who this person is or what he's done to his car or what he's done to advance the state of S55 acoustics. All I know is that I asked for a shop recommendation. I did not ask for DIY advice because I've done the research and decided that I did not want to do it myself. That is it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #12
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
BTW I am new here. Look forward to being a part of the community.
Man you are going to fit in real well here.

Appreciate 3
      03-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #13
mdlex389
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Man you are going to fit in real well here.

LOL I look forward to it.
Appreciate 0