BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #89
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentine View Post
@pooch you got it all figured out, don't you. You surmise only two possible scenarios. You assert that no one parks on the street in a sketchy neighborhood.

Or maybe it was exactly as depicted.

Keys in car, car unlocked, car running or not or any combo in between doesn't change the fact that someone unauthorized to do so took the car. That's literally stealing by definition.

I get we're a bunch of internerds here, and have pretty thick skin and am not offended, but know that while everything you said could be true, so could hundreds of other scenarios.
The key fob was factually used here, even though you're being intentionally vague about it, so it was either a case of negligence or strait up 'give up' fraud. The end.

Not my problem but tell your 'brother' regardless of which story he chooses to rolls with, he's going to have a hard time proving that his car was really stolen like how you stated, without the key being readily available; after all, this was not 1989 Corolla or something.

Anyways, good luck with all that..
Are one of the keys missing?

You can still submit and get paid on a theft claim.

Even if the keys were intentionally put in the car.

Even he wanted his car stolen that's not fraud.

Only if insurance can prove owner willfully planned the theft of his car.

Perhaps not smart but you can leave your keys in your car.

Keys in a car does not mean; take my car even if it was left running with the door open.

What you'll never know is what actually happened unless the person driving off comes on this forum to share.

Everyone is speculating, playing Columbo.

Bottom line owner is gonna get paid.

A buddy of mine took theft off his Honda prelude back in the day. A week later the car was stolen.

He thought the insurance company stole his car SMH!

Again; that area does not require any clever planning to get your car stolen. They used to car Jack at least they got a little soft and wait to steal your car now.
The 'thief' spent like 5 seconds in the car, started it and drove off, sounds like a plausible case of auto theft of a new Bimmer..

I never said the insurance company won't possible pay if he left the key fob in the car but it's dumb human mistake and has nothing to with actually intentional theft, per se, it's more a crime of opportunity.

The OP coming here with all this fear-mongering is just misleading and the story was an insult to our intelligence. So sorry, I just couldn't help myself..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:06 PM   #90
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
The OP coming here with all this fear-mongering is just misleading and the story was an insult to our intelligence. So sorry, I just couldn't help myself..
Sorry, didn’t mean to frighten you.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:09 PM   #91
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Below is the OP, again, the intention was to ask if there is any other way to try to recover. He called BMW first and they were no help stating nothing they could do because he didn’t subscribe. It was a google search that led to a number to a theft recovery unit. BMW hasn’t been very helpful, from what I understand, other than that initial ping.

It was other commenters asking about the key and how it was done. I can care less about the how, I was trying to help recover it.

Although the invisibility thing seriously he me thinking there are patterns or something that can fool cameras. Another poster explained that phenomena in an earlier post. Related to infrared.

Quote:
Brothers M4CS stolen tonight by someone wearing an invisibility cloak. Seriously a shadow walks up, gets in and takes the car. BMW pinged it but no response.

Are there any options to try to recover or locate the vehicle, other than the standard BMW recovery 800 number? Police report already filed. South Jersey.

I’ll see if I can get the video posted.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #92
Dking078
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricostrong60 View Post
This sounds like a episode of scooby doo
Lets find the VIN and post it for Mr. Insurance Co. to google.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #93
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to frighten you.
I'm good, my car is in my backyard safe and I don't have be worried about being reamed by some insurance company investigator, for suspected fraud or negligence, so no worries..

Your sketchy story gives me the chills that you really expect any reasonable person here to suspend their common sense and assume their car could be stolen by some phantom thief, in less than a 20 seconds, without the key fob.

BTW, the CS doesn't come with a Comfort Access option, so their is no "infrared" transmission from the key fob for a skilled thief to intercept and use to start the vehicle, as you're implying, so get that fantasy out of your head.

The key was used here, regardless of how the 'thief' obtained it but whatever, I said what I have to say here, so I'll let you have the last word.. Best wishes with your so-called stolen claim..

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:38 PM   #94
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Infrared was in reference to the Nest Doorbell camera.

Indulge me for a moment. Nefariously, Can a new key be programmed and used? Is it possible that someone came by, took a pic of VIN, and had a new key programmed?

Is it possible to plug something into ODB port and disable GPS and/or start the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #95
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Indulge me for a moment. Nefariously, Can a new key be programmed and used? Is it possible that someone came by, took a pic of VIN, and had a new key programmed?

Is it possible to plug something into ODB port and disable GPS and/or start the car?
No, only BMW directly can issues a new key fob and they are made-to-order.

If a dealership employee did obtain a new key fob from Germany to steal the car, it's going to leave a trail and will eventually be discovered but who's going go through all that and risk their freedom for a BMW, when they can just steal one off the lot.

The key fob remote control signal is authenticated in the control unit (CAS or FEM or BDC). If the request is duly authorized, the control unit (CAS or FEM or BDC) wakes up the vehicle and either locks or unlocks the vehicle.

If no key is detected, the OBD2 port remains in a dead state and does not transmit, hence, its impossible for anyone to make any such changes to start the vehicle via the early '90s 'hot-wired' method, especially in less than a minute.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #96
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:

Dude iam no lawyer but....you should stop posing.

Come back when its all over and tell us how it ended.
Appreciate 4
2011ninja3361.00
PhatLyfe984.00
BigHunk269.50
zillymc194.50
      01-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #97
Pseudolus
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

God I love this forum. My life would be fairly boring without all of the capers and twists and turns I get exposed to here!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #98
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post
God I love this forum. My life would be fairly boring without all of the capers and twists and turns I get exposed to here!
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      01-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #99
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
@pooch you got it all figured out, don’t you. You surmise only two possible scenarios. You assert that no one parks on the street in a sketchy neighborhood.

Maybe this was an affluent shore town, maybe the driveway was taken by the Huracan, and the 50’ 4 engine boat. And the garage, forget it, it’s a converted man cave that puts the playboy grotto to shame. Maybe the key was in the car, maybe it wasn’t. Maybe this was just his black CS, but he still has the white and whatever other colors the damn car was offered in. Maybe he was pissed that I beat him in a drag with my X3M and snows on and doesn’t want to be seen again.

Or maybe it was exactly as depicted.

Keys in car, car unlocked, car running or not or any combo in between doesn’t change the fact that someone unauthorized to do so took the car. That’s literally stealing by definition.

I get we’re a bunch of internerds here, and have pretty thick skin and am not offended, but know that while everything you said could be true, so could hundreds of other scenarios.
If your breaking in and you leave the huracon and take the bmw, either your a dumb crook or just stupid not know the value is greater.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #100
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep

This post so far.. explained
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Stumpel37.00
BMWM5NYC496.00
      01-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #101
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

So it's interesting to me that BMW says they can't see the car. Though, I've had no reason to check with them, so I'm taking that at face value.

I don't currently pay for any sort of service on my 2016 GMC truck and the GMC app still shows me where my truck is (just checked), and it records information on all of the trips (mileage, time, location - yah, kinda big brother like). Seems that BMW either has the information and don't share even with the owner it unless subpoenaed by the police(.?.), or they're not as advanced as GM is with vehicle location tracking.?. One thought is that they just don't want to get into a habit or the time involved in verifying ownership before giving out the location without a subpoena from the police.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #102
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I’m cancelling Netflix and Hulu... makes no sense to pay for entertainment when the forum is free...

I might stop watching my Telenovelas and K-drama’s too.
Appreciate 6
2011ninja3361.00
65fastback1137.00
Pseudolus134.50
PhatLyfe984.00
Muha149.50
      01-05-2021, 09:54 PM   #103
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ef80m3 View Post
Hmm just a thought...Assuming this M4CS was purchased used, was a second key fob issued? BMW connected app is known to allow previous owners to track the car until you notify BMW to remove.
If you buy a used BMW, you can add that car to your connected app. You would need to verify it's your car through the icontrol. It will then override the previous user and make you primary
Appreciate 1
Ef80m339.50
      01-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #104
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

The video is suspect. First the lights didn't blink when the perp got in the car meaning the car was unlocked. Second is possible the perp was inside the car already when the Nest got footage. I thought the Nest detects motion and then records. I don't believe the Nest records continous unless you activate the record manually. Correct me if I'm wrong
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      01-05-2021, 11:16 PM   #105
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel733 View Post
The video is suspect. First the lights didn't blink when the perp got in the car meaning the car was unlocked. Second is possible the perp was inside the car already when the Nest got footage. I thought the Nest detects motion and then records. I don't believe the Nest records continous unless you activate the record manually. Correct me if I'm wrong

My nest cam records 24-7 a yearly subscription includes this. You can also set up custom zones and receive alerts on your phone if you choose to.

I can see in the video the person get in the car...he comes from the far right of the screen ...from under the street light and walks behind the tree then gets in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 12:28 AM   #106
Mazen189
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel733 View Post

My nest cam records 24-7 a yearly subscription includes this. You can also set up custom zones and receive alerts on your phone if you choose to.

I can see in the video the person get in the car...he comes from the far right of the screen ...from under the street light and walks behind the tree then gets in the car.
Where are you seeing this perp ? Anyway to screenshot and circle because I've watched it a few times and I don't see anyyyyy movement
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 01:42 AM   #107
Psychotic Mouse
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazen189 View Post
Where are you seeing this perp ? Anyway to screenshot and circle because I've watched it a few times and I don't see anyyyyy movement
I just watched it again. Drag the video slider back and forth and you can see the movement that you can’t see real time. The person does walk from the corner across the street and climbs in the car.
Appreciate 1
swagon13502.00
      01-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #108
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

All I can say is that bimmerpost community is world renowned for solving mysterious cases.
Many examples.
Tell your lead investigator we got this
Appreciate 4
      01-06-2021, 07:34 PM   #109
///MB ///M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Theaters are currently shut down in Michigan due to Covid...luckily there's Bimmerpost!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
BMWM5NYC496.00
boi222179.00
      01-07-2021, 04:38 AM   #110
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep

Seems to me the perp is trying to find out ways of detection on how a scenario can be played without getting caught.
Appreciate 0