Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-01-2023, 12:44 PM   #199
ladiaz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Sakhir Orange Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth9 View Post
You know how the test to see if the pcv is the issue opening the oil cap to see if there is a release of air?

My question is, if this is fixed correctly, should there still be a vacuum/suction from the oil cap area if you open it?
From reading this whole thread, I believe yes, there should still be vacuum/suction from the oil cap opening. I transposed the numbers, it's $3570 after tax, but it's still crazy. I had the car in there for service and it started a few days before I took it in, so I had them look at it. I'm supposed to get the car back today, so I'll have to go through the troubleshooting steps suggested here. They seem to think it is, but once I confirm, maybe I'll try the Klifex route till I get more time to swap out the cover itself. They want $2973 after tax for the oil pan reseal which, in my opinion, is far more labor intensive(I'll have to find someone in Orlando that can do that more cost effective). I have already changed the valve cover seal myself years ago, so I'll just do it again and replace the cover down the road if I need to.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 03:17 PM   #200
ladiaz
United_States
Rep

So I just picked up my car and sure enough, by the time I got home, the squeal had started. I took off the Oil Cap and the squeal went away, so I went ahead and placed the order on Amazon, will be here tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I have till 9/5 to order a new cover from FCPEuro as they have 10% off for Labor Day, will report back once I get this done.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 11:14 PM   #201
USVIJIM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Figured out my issue, actually had a leak at the charge pipe making what I thought was a PCV squeal. Stock boost PSI is around 10, started happening for me around 13 psi. PCV was not holding vaccum so I'm glad I replaced it. Used JB weld and seems to be solid.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 11:15 PM   #202
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiaz View Post
Did you drill any holes or just use it as-is? I'm now having this issue, the stealership want $3750 to replace the valve cover, crazy!
The pcv valve is new. Doesnt need to drill any holes. Just take old one off by cutting the side and pry it off from side. Then put Amazon pcv valve with some gasket sealant on the side. I wrapped with aluminum tape so its secure and wont pop off. 100% noise free.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2023, 10:47 AM   #203
ladiaz
United_States
Rep

I replaced my PCV valve, got it on with some JB Weld, it's on solid and no more squeals. I used ISTA+ to save the steps and torque specs for everything, made it super easy.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2023, 01:55 PM   #204
Seth9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Austin Yellow M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
What would be some symptoms if the cap wasn't installed correctly?
      09-06-2023, 02:11 PM   #205
ladiaz
United_States
Rep

I would assume you'd have some degree of squeal/hiss. When I put my replacement on, I noticed it didn't go all the way down to the line the previous one was at (very minute, maybe 1/2mm), however, I've driven the car quite a bit and not a single issue. Hooked up the laptop to read any codes, and nothing so far related to this. I would put it on firmly and hold it in place with a weight till the sealant dries (I used a 5 lb. dumbbell with some rags).

Now to solve my transmission temperature warning that comes on sporadically....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 07:38 PM   #206
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

Now to solve my transmission temperature warning that comes on sporadically....
Motul hi torque fluid
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 11:46 AM   #207
woosahh
Private
Rep
Drives: f82

Quote:
I replaced my PCV valve, got it on with some JB Weld, it's on solid and no more squeals. I used ISTA+ to save the steps and torque specs for everything, made it super easy.
Could you write the steps you did to change the pcv valve ? That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 03:29 PM   #208
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

Mine only seemed to make a whistle on warm start then go away. I thought Id take the fitment risk and try vtt

And found out the VTT breather fits in mine, at first I thought it wouldnt but it has to be at a perfect angle. although instructions say to remove the stock gasket. Seems like there is a gasket already in the valve and the stock one would make it too tall, plus it would just be loose on top of what is there already.

We will see how it goes, if it starts spraying oil my stock cap is in the trunk.

Drove it around the block, got the revs high and dont see any signs of oil

Last edited by blumagic; 11-17-2023 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2023, 02:53 PM   #209
shonuff1
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Just replaced my PCV with the Klifex amazon special. My original PCV failed at 95k miles. The Klifex PCV fit perfectly and the squeal is gone.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 09:08 PM   #210
bmwfool
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

I replaced the PCV with the Klifex. The squeal remains. Taking the oil cap off, the sounds goes away. Is it something else? Should I drill holes?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 12:52 PM   #211
trungnguyen28
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfool View Post
I replaced the PCV with the Klifex. The squeal remains. Taking the oil cap off, the sounds goes away. Is it something else? Should I drill holes?
If this was me, I would go with drilling the 4 holes and gutted the cap out next.

I just started to get the squealing noise today and confirmed the sound goes away upon removing the oil cap.
I just ordered the Klifex and a non-klifex. I'm going to attempt the Klifex fix to retain the closed PCV system. If it doesn't work then I will be drilling the holes.

Big shout out to @slaughter.mode for this incredibly innovative and CHEAP fix. Saving people thousands of dollars. Thank you good sir.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 01:12 AM   #212
trungnguyen28
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Update: Klifer out of the box didn’t work. I added 4 holes at first and then needed to add 4 more for a total of 8 holes. No more squeal but I do have a hissing noise which I assume is normal due to pressure being released?

Update 2: Klifer also does NOT fit snug. It will require some sort of adhesive. This definitely makes it more tedious to remove to add more holes. Drove it more today and it has intermittent hissing. I will probably add 4 more holes then ensure it doesn't hiss.

Last edited by trungnguyen28; 01-05-2024 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 07:42 PM   #213
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Welp, hit 98K this week and my PCV just starting squealing today. I did my VC gasket just about a year ago but for some reason didnt think Id have VC issues with the PCV.
Learn from my mistakes and dont do the same job twice!
If youre valve cover is leaking and you havent had PCV issues just yet, replace the entire cover so youre good for another 80-100K.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 07:19 PM   #214
fivaxis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 competition, 2010 M3

I installed a mitzone valve cover and it's been fine so far over 1000 miles of hard driving. Some of the bolts binded in the holes and broke so I had to put two Helicoils, I ended up using the original bolts.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 07:11 AM   #215
shonuff1
Rep

1 month update with the Klifex replacement...I'm getting a squeal intermittently. It happens about half the time the engine is idling. Removing the oil cap makes the squeal go away. I will be removing the Klifex valve this weekend and drilling the holes in the cap.

If I were confident that getting a new valve cover would fix it I would order one. But I've read that multiple people are replacing the entire valve cover without fixing the squeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 03:22 PM   #216
shonuff1
Rep

Thinking about a permanent solution that retains a functioning PCV system but gets rid of the membrane that is prone to fail. The OP's solution defeats the functionality of a PCV system by removing the membrane/spring assembly and drilling holes in the cap to make it permanently vent to atmosphere. Without plugging the port that leads to the intake manifold this method also creates a vacuum leak path.

VTT sells a S55 PCV delete kit that includes a plug to seal up the port to the intake manifold. The problem is I don't think the cap that is included in their PCV delete kit has a check valve in it so I don't see how it can function as a PCV system.

I'm thinking if I buy the VTT BMW crankcase breather kit (which includes a check valve), remove the PCV membrane/spring assembly, plug the intake manifold port and reinstall the PCV cap without drilling it this should solve the high vacuum squeal issue and retain a functioning PCV system that doesn't rely on a membrane. $120 for the VTT BMW crankcase breather kit and probably $5-$10 for a plug to make a PCV system that won't likely fail again. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 08:49 AM   #217
shonuff1
Rep

Update for anyone still checking this thread. I ended up fixing my PCV squeal but not by using the VTT crankcase breather kit and plug like I mentioned before. Mainly because I couldn't get VTT to respond to my request to buy the crankcase breather kit and plug from their PCV delete kit. I also read that oil tends to spray out of the crankcase breather and make a mess.

I tried drilling the holes in my PCV cap. I started with four 1/16" holes and was still getting squeal. I drilled four more holes and while my squeal went away I started getting a check engine light (P112F). I then filled in 3 of the new holes with RTV but still had the P112F error code.

What finally fixed my PCV squeal was ordering another Klifex PCV kit from Amazon. I had a theory that the PCV spring that comes with the Klifex kit was too strong which prevented the valve from closing during low load/idle conditions. Unfortunately I threw away my original BMW PCV spring when I replaced it several weeks ago so I couldn't compare. Using a torch, I heated up the Klifex spring and compressed it to shorten it by about 3/8" in it's resting state and reinstall with the new undrilled PCV cap.

This ended up fixing my PCV squeal, the Klifex valve now closes as it should during low load/idle conditions. So if anyone has this issue in the future, I would recommend the Klifex PCV kit and reusing your BMW PCV spring or heating up/shortening the spring that comes with the Klifex kit.
Appreciate 1
b_w.394.00
      03-18-2024, 12:24 AM   #218
seanfan
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3C

Hi guys

what will it be if I got only "P112F" always confirmed and "101F01" always pending after i delete the pcv diaphragm and drill 2 holes on cap to let it breathe. how to avoid the light? thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 11:04 AM   #219
Joseph.s55
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Hello

I have a 2016 M4 currently at 110k miles on bm3 stage 2 + for 2 years with no issues. My mods are down pipes mid pipe & stock muffler . Have cold step spark plugs as well . I have had 0 issues with this set up until I began to hear squealing bout 1 week ago .

At first I began to think my turbos were going out first because of my daily use & as well as wear & tear or turbos from 2 years of tune . Disassembled charges pipes and intakes to see if maybe I had issue in turbo but nothing . After few days I sent a video to a friend who work Audi and he let me know most likely PCV as sound like vacuum. After researching found couple threads with DIY Almost all seemed to fail. After looking through this thread decided it is most likely my pcv as all issues seem consistent with mine. I choose to go with Klifex s55 repair kit first before deciding to do whole valve cover . Seen a few delete Kits most commonly the Turner Motorsport one but havent dont more research into it . I have ordered Klifex

The main question I have is does this Klifex kit still require to drill holes ?? Also seen some say it is direct plug and play & others who has issues so applied so type of weld and weight till it cures . I will also document old vs Klifex as seen someone say spring size may be different.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 07:13 PM   #220
1004ron
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i

Last week I replaced my 2015 X5 F15 crankcase breather pressure regulating valve and wanted to confirm that the new regulator was working correctly so bought a $10 oil filler cap and modified it as per the below YouTube video.

Tested it this evening and it is regulating the pressure very well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304908625355

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MJ76Z18...roduct_details

Attached Images

Last edited by 1004ron; 04-15-2024 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0