Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-30-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
Karlooch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Should I remove BM3 tune before getting software updated?

Have a 2016 and want to get the software updated as I've read that improvements were made over the production time. Wondering if I should remove the tune first and then re apply it after to avoid anything conflicting?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 09:27 AM   #2
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
I would!

You dont want BMW blaming your TUNE if something goes wrong during the upgrade. Take it back to stock so they dont have a excuse if they brick a module!

Always play stupid and safe when it comes to the dealership!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Of course remove it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

RECONSIDER

If you get a really new software update you'll have a re-locked DME and can't use BM3. This might require a bench unlock (pull out the computer) or leave you fully locked and without BM3 access at all.

Don't update car SW unless something broken requires it to fix, then decide if… Ask the mechanic which SW version is requested for the fix, and consult Support@PTF before loading the new BMW SW.
mord49.00
      08-30-2021, 03:36 PM   #5
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
RECONSIDER

If you get a really new software update you'll have a re-locked DME and can't use BM3. This might require a bench unlock (pull out the computer) or leave you fully locked and without BM3 access at all.

Don't update car SW unless something broken requires it to fix, then decide if… Ask the mechanic which SW version is requested for the fix, and consult Support@PTF before loading the new BMW SW.
I have a 2016 and was able to reinstall Bootmod3 after my istep upgrade required for the telematics LTE update. Verified with PTF support prior to. Also had to contact them to reset my account so I could have a backup of the newly installed BMW software. Otherwise any future DME stock flash/relock would revert to the software I had originally backed up. PTF was super helpful in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 03:53 PM   #6
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

YES, otherwise your warranty is toast. They'll know once they plug in your car that it has been tuned.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #7
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post
I have a 2016 and was able to reinstall Bootmod3 after my istep upgrade required for the telematics LTE update. Verified with PTF support prior to. Also had to contact them to reset my account so I could have a backup of the newly installed BMW software. Otherwise any future DME stock flash/relock would revert to the software I had originally backed up. PTF was super helpful in that regard.
istep update is a different module than the software update that impacts the suspension, steering, and traction control.
      08-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #8
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
istep update is a different module than the software update that impacts the suspension, steering, and traction control.
That is wrong. An I-step is a set of software revisions that can affect any and all modules depending on current software version. In my case with having never been updated it affected all modules to include the new one they installed.

ISTA can’t target specific modules to update and will in fact check versions based on the istep and will upgrade accordingly.

After I got my car back, PTF had me walkthrough and verify that the DME was in fact updated and had reset my account prior to reflashing.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #9
f80_bill
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

if you tune your car to stock they can't tell its been tuned?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #10
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
RECONSIDER

Just the information i was looking for. Thanks.

My AC sometimes blows warm. Independent shop said there is a software update; but he was smart enough to have me check on making any changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #11
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
RECONSIDER

As I understand it, the DME only gets locked (requiring bench unlocking) only if the chipset supports the new encryption. Older cars from 2016, 2017 do not have the necessary hardware, so an ISTA update (or the DME update) does not lock the DME.
It’s only the newer cars that have the latest chipsets (supporting higher levels of encryption) that get locked and need bench unlocking.
2016, 2017, 2018 cars should be fine to be updated…. My 2c
      09-07-2021, 03:09 PM   #12
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
YES, otherwise your warranty is toast. They'll know once they plug in your car that it has been tuned.
Warranty is toast anyway most likely !
Even if you revert back to stock tune, the moment is car is hooked up to ISTA at the dealership; it flags if the car has ever been tuned.
Just had this last week, and the dealer explained that their latest version of ISTA (and some other logging tools) now detect a tune straight away… They probably can also tell the date/time stamp when the tune was running…
      05-14-2022, 11:14 PM   #13
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
As I understand it, the DME only gets locked (requiring bench unlocking) only if the chipset supports the new encryption. Older cars from 2016, 2017 do not have the necessary hardware, so an ISTA update (or the DME update) does not lock the DME.
It’s only the newer cars that have the latest chipsets (supporting higher levels of encryption) that get locked and need bench unlocking.
2016, 2017, 2018 cars should be fine to be updated…. My 2c

Do you know the specific build date? I have a ‘18 M4 but it was manufactured March 2017. Software was updated in March 2020 and I have a Carbahn stage 1 inbound which I hope to tune via obd2 tablet.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 09:50 PM   #14
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
Do you know the specific build date? I have a ‘18 M4 but it was manufactured March 2017. Software was updated in March 2020 and I have a Carbahn stage 1 inbound which I hope to tune via obd2 tablet.
Well just flashed my ECU to the Carbahn Stage 1 tune with their flash tablet. Confirmed my March 2020 software update did not lock my ECU/DME nor require a bench unlock.

BTW the Carbahn Stage 1 tune was painless to install and is freaking awesome!
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2022, 07:17 AM   #15
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Quote:
Well just flashed my ECU to the Carbahn Stage 1 tune with their flash tablet. Confirmed my March 2020 software update did not lock my ECU/DME nor require a bench unlock.

Was there a way for you to check before flashing it? Or did you just say fuck it and send it?
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 09:16 AM   #16
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordOnRoad View Post
Quote:

Was there a way for you to check before flashing it? Or did you just say fuck it and send it?
Just sent it
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2022, 03:55 PM   #17
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordOnRoad View Post
Quote:

I did look up on real oem to see exactly what ECU/DME version was in my build (03/17) and all though it was not the same as your build, they were the exact same weight and "interchangeable." Where as the later builds had a different version, that were not interchangeable and actually weighed more. When I discovered that, I was more inclined to send it and it worked out.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2022, 07:23 AM   #18
Rbc44
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

Quote:

I have a very early 2016 M4 that I bought through European Delivery in September of 2015. A couple of years ago I had the USA BMW dealership (Park Avenue BMW) I bought the car from, install a Carbahn Stage 1 tune (they are an authorized Carbahn installer). If I now want that dealership to update my tune, do you think they can do that without screwing up my Carbahn tune? And if they can do that, how can I verify that they did it correctly?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 08:25 AM   #19
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbc44 View Post
Quote:

I have a very early 2016 M4 that I bought through European Delivery in September of 2015. A couple of years ago I had the USA BMW dealership (Park Avenue BMW) I bought the car from, install a Carbahn Stage 1 tune (they are an authorized Carbahn installer). If I now want that dealership to update my tune, do you think they can do that without screwing up my Carbahn tune? And if they can do that, how can I verify that they did it correctly?
What do you mean by "update my tune" if you already have the Carbahn Stage1 flash applied? Another updated Carbahn tune, or a different tune like BM3?
      05-21-2022, 11:52 AM   #20
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbc44 View Post
Quote:

If you mean update the ILevel "cars" software, they will update it and then have to reflash the Carbahn tune again. But with your build date, you should be fine without having to do a bench unlock.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2022, 05:09 AM   #21
Rbc44
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

Quote:
If you mean update the ILevel "cars" software, they will update it and then have to reflash the Carbahn tune again. But with your build date, you should be fine without having to do a bench unlock.
OK, Thanks.
Appreciate 0