proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-17-2022, 12:29 AM   #111
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
You're chasing a solution that doesn't have a problem to begin with.

Bush league to adjust based on even front to rear, tire to fender gap. They shouldn't be even else dragster rake. There is no BMW M that comes from factory with even gaps all around.

If adjustable route, get it as level as possible based on side sill and make incremental adjustments from there by someone who knows wtf they're doing.
It's a compromise between aesthetics and performance. Most street driven cars won't mind a bit of forward rake. Best bet is a corner balance with the driver at the wheel. Each corner is on a scale and ride hight is adjusted to balance weight to the driver's liking, ideally an even distribution, including left to right accounting for the driver's weight. It's a bit excessive for street cars, but if you are a stickler for performance and chasing 10ths of a second, it's pretty much the SOP.
It's looks like sht with dragster rake. And it's a street car full stop. Keep it level or stay stock.
I agree. Pro drivers that have driven a CS on a fast track say the M engineers got it right on the cup 2s. The perfect balance between street and track. Better street manners than a comp too. I'm only speaking for myself so not criticizing those that value looks over performance but I would never mess with the stock CS set up. Not worth the money and time just to make it look a little better.
Appreciate 1
m34m697.00
      04-17-2022, 12:38 AM   #112
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdflush View Post
If anyone in the market for an upgrade to a CS then you are in luck. A lot of CS's are becoming available due to lease turn-ins.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-BMW-M3-CS_t14170
Some nice ones there. Lot of car for the money. About a half dozen of those are not CS's tho.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 06:15 AM   #113
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Some nice ones there. Lot of car for the money. About a half dozen of those are not CS's tho.
Yeah, there are lots of dealers and sellers that are advertising base and ZCP M3/M4s as "CS". It's playing havoc with various sites' pricing algorithms too (like on Cargurus and Autotrader) -- all to the advantage of a potential buyer of a real CS. Right now the price difference between an M3 and an M3 CS is often very close for identical mileage/condition -- perhaps $5-6k different. That premium will likely expand substantially with time.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 07:34 AM   #114
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

Apologies if it has been asked a million times already.

I have 2018 M4 comp.

How can I tune the existing suspension to achieve the CS setup?

I'm on the 666 wheels at the moment.

But love a set of the orbit grey 763 as the gold ones a bit too loud for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 07:57 AM   #115
11LMBiSTT
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A to B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylazy2020 View Post

I have 2018 M4 comp.

Get in touch with a coder such as Alex@Alpine or kubax86 or learn to code your car yourself. Plenty of YouTube material out there. Best bet, is to get in touch with one of these guys I mentioned. I know Alex personally and he's the man and provides the best customer service, as I have heard Kuba does too. They can code your car remotely from anywhere with a reliable internet connection and your laptop and a ENET/OBD cable.
Appreciate 1
mathys202.50
      04-17-2022, 08:06 AM   #116
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11LMBiSTT View Post
Quote:

I have 2018 M4 comp.

Get in touch with a coder such as Alex@Alpine or kubax86 or learn to code your car yourself. Plenty of YouTube material out there. Best bet, is to get in touch with one of these guys I mentioned. I know Alex personally and he's the man and provides the best customer service, as I have heard Kuba does too. They can code your car remotely from anywhere with a reliable internet connection and your laptop and a ENET/OBD cable.

Thanks

I was thinking of getting the GTS flash from bimmer code as I've already got the widescreen google CarPlay and it's superb.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 08:46 AM   #117
11LMBiSTT
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks

I was thinking of getting the GTS flash from bimmer code as I've already got the widescreen google CarPlay and it's superb.
I think you'd be better off with one of two coders I mentioned. But up to you. Maybe see who can give you the best price. You can also get multiple things coded at once, for the same price.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 09:18 AM   #118
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

I have 2018 M4 comp.

On M4 Comp, to emulate M4CS you only need to swap out the front sway bar for a non-comp sway bar. You can then hit up either tuner that 11LMBiSTT mentioned and have the coding done. You can have it done regardless of sway bar but you may get some understeer compared to a correct CS setup as the relative front roll stiffness is greater than the dampers are tuned for.
CanAutM321116.50
      04-17-2022, 09:30 AM   #119
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:

I have 2018 M4 comp.

On M4 Comp, to emulate M4CS you only need to swap out the front sway bar for a non-comp sway bar. You can then hit up either tuner that 11LMBiSTT mentioned and have the coding done. You can have it done regardless of sway bar but you may get some understeer compared to a correct CS setup as the relative front roll stiffness is greater than the dampers are tuned for.
That's fascinating

To be honest I've been blown away about positive the front end and turn in is on my F82 comp.

Wet or dry.

The steering lacks feel but now after 6 months of ownership and having driven it thru the winter I have the confidence to load up the front end and just manage the over steer!

Great fun to drive.

My only current gripe is that on the terrible Irish roads and even going over a cats eye on motorway the 20s struggle.

So I think the CS 19s at the front would help on that front.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2022, 10:39 AM   #120
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's fascinating

To be honest I've been blown away about positive the front end and turn in is on my F82 comp.

Wet or dry.

The steering lacks feel but now after 6 months of ownership and having driven it thru the winter I have the confidence to load up the front end and just manage the over steer!

Great fun to drive.

My only current gripe is that on the terrible Irish roads and even going over a cats eye on motorway the 20s struggle.

If you retrofit the CS setup, turn in will be even better. CS damper tuning will take car of a lot of undulations regardless of wheel size as the rebound is properly sorted. The CS setup is designed around a 19/20 setup so if you really want the "most optimal" experience then you'd run that setup. Having said that, I choose to look at wheel sizing as a way to fine tune suspension characteristics for my own use. For instance, I want a bit more compliance given the terrible Seattle roads, so I run 18s w/ 40 profile UHP All Season tires (see post #1). I still have the turn in and optimal compression/rebound but have more mechanical compliance. The trade off would be losing a little bit of steering feel and general sharpness through the wheel & chassis - but not as much as I would have thought since modern UHP All Seasons are much better than I expected and are an awesome balance of daily sensibility and grip for spirited drives in colder/wetter climates (plus it's easy for me compartmentalize wheels/tires because I have a separate set of track wheels when I'm in need of very sticky tires).

Also, GTS steering will make a noticeable difference to steering - there is NO dead spot whatsoever, and I found on my old F82 it loaded up more naturally. I think it's a much improved steering calibration but you will not get that "hydraulic feel." Now with the CS, it's a live wire with the suspension tuned as it is. Many factors impact steering so the tune itself is the first step to improving the "feel" but suspension setup/alignment is crucially important as well. Then there are little things you can do like solid/monoball bushings which will amplify NVH/"feel" thru the wheel while reducing deflection. I guess the take away for me is: it's hard to boil steering down to just one factor.
      04-17-2022, 11:24 AM   #121
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's fascinating

Wet or dry.

Great fun to drive.

If you retrofit the CS setup, turn in will be even better. CS damper tuning will take car of a lot of undulations regardless of wheel size as the rebound is properly sorted. The CS setup is designed around a 19/20 setup so if you really want the "most optimal" experience then you'd run that setup. Having said that, I choose to look at wheel sizing as a way to fine tune suspension characteristics for my own use. For instance, I want a bit more compliance given the terrible Seattle roads, so I run 18s w/ 40 profile UHP All Season tires (see post #1). I still have the turn in and optimal compression/rebound but have more mechanical compliance. The trade off would be losing a little bit of steering feel and general sharpness through the wheel & chassis - but not as much as I would have thought since modern UHP All Seasons are much better than I expected and are an awesome balance of daily sensibility and grip for spirited drives in colder/wetter climates (plus it's easy for me compartmentalize wheels/tires because I have a separate set of track wheels when I'm in need of very sticky tires).

Also, GTS steering will make a noticeable difference to steering - there is NO dead spot whatsoever, and I found on my old F82 it loaded up more naturally. I think it's a much improved steering calibration but you will not get that "hydraulic feel." Now with the CS, it's a live wire with the suspension tuned as it is. Many factors impact steering so the tune itself is the first step to improving the "feel" but suspension setup/alignment is crucially important as well. Then there are little things you can do like solid/monoball bushings which will amplify NVH/"feel" thru the wheel while reducing deflection. I guess the take away for me is: it's hard to boil steering down to just one factor.
The knowledge on here is incredible.

Thanks for sharing.

My plan for my F82 is so a road trip with some other friends in their Gt3 etc as one last hurrah for petrol before I have to go electric but having used the M4 as daily driver since November I'm already thinking of keeping it for much longer.

Only mid apart from cosmetic I'm about to make is change the pads to Foroda DS 2500

In anticipation of some big stops on the Stelvio Pass!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 01:24 AM   #122
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Thank you OP for starting this thread and for everyone contributing to it. I've been starved for a forum like this. There are so few of these cars and minimal content comparatively speaking. I think I've watched every YouTube video multiple times. I'll be adding photos and impressions of my car soon but right now I need one question answered that I've been unable to get clarification on. Per the OP does the M3 have ASD and M4 not have it? My impression was that ASD was not active in either CS car. A definitive answer to this would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 05:00 AM   #123
11LMBiSTT
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

99.9% sure both, M3cs and M4cs, don't have ASD. At least not like the Comp and Base do. Those have ASD for sure.

But, the stock CS engine tune has burples programmed in to it for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Thank you OP for starting this thread and for everyone contributing to it. I've been starved for a forum like this. There are so few of these cars and minimal content comparatively speaking. I think I've watched every YouTube video multiple times. I'll be adding photos and impressions of my car soon but right now I need one question answered that I've been unable to get clarification on. Per the OP does the M3 have ASD and M4 not have it? My impression was that ASD was not active in either CS car. A definitive answer to this would be appreciated.
Appreciate 1
m34m697.00
      04-18-2022, 08:38 AM   #124
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
M3CS has the module as part of the full Harmon Kardon system but it doesn't sound like it's on; if it is, it is significantly reduced. M4CS has the lighter weight basic stereo system which doesn't have an ASD module from what I've gathered.
m34m697.00
      04-18-2022, 09:41 AM   #125
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11LMBiSTT View Post
99.9% sure both, M3cs and M4cs, don't have ASD. At least not like the Comp and Base do. Those have ASD for sure.

But, the stock CS engine tune has burples programmed in to it for sure.

Quote:
Yes the M3 has the full stereo system so ASD is there unlike the M4. The question is whether it's on or not. One of the appeals of the car for me is that it makes natural sounds. With respect to burbles my thought was it has natural turbo over run but likely it has a mild burble tune. I'm just glad it doesn't have the ridiculous over done burbles of some other BMW's. For example I had an F30 340i M Performance with the B58 and the burbles were ridiculous. They were explosions. That car lasted 8 months I couldn't stand it. When I got into my CS I could not believe the two cars were related in any way.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #126
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes the M3 has the full stereo system so ASD is there unlike the M4. The question is whether it's on or not. One of the appeals of the car for me is that it makes natural sounds. With respect to burbles my thought was it has natural turbo over run but likely it has a mild burble tune. I'm just glad it doesn't have the ridiculous over done burbles of some other BMW's. For example I had an F30 340i M Performance with the B58 and the burbles were ridiculous. They were explosions. That car lasted 8 months I couldn't stand it. When I got into my CS I could not believe the two cars were related in any way.
Stock CS has burbles programmed in sport & sport+ throttle modes - it's pretty similar to the M lite B58s. It's possible yours may have had the programmed burbles coded out or reduced? My first order of business post warranty is to completely remove all burbles lol.

On ASD, you can easily unplug it which would guarantee that it isn't on. This won't affect burbles as those are a coding item.
slcook541863.00
m34m697.00
      04-18-2022, 10:16 AM   #127
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Stock CS has burbles programmed in sport & sport+ throttle modes - it's pretty similar to the M lite B58s. It's possible yours may have had the programmed burbles coded out or reduced? My first order of business post warranty is to completely remove all burbles lol.

On ASD, you can easily unplug it which would guarantee that it isn't on. This won't affect burbles as those are a coding item.
I definitely have burbles in sport and sport+ but they are very mild. The B58 was on an entirely different level it was silly. Do you know I what the differences are in the CS between sport and sport+? Obviously throttle response and I believe more burbles, but what about exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 11:24 AM   #128
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
When I went to code ASD off in my M3 CS new straight from the dealer with 11 miles it was already off. I couldn't hear anything artificial. Not sure if it was the same for anyone else.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
m34m697.00
      04-18-2022, 02:31 PM   #129
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Genuine BMW M4 OLEDs do this under sun light.
Attached Images

04-18-2022, 04:31 PM   #130
M3cosmos95
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Yeah, there are lots of dealers and sellers that are advertising base and ZCP M3/M4s as "CS". It's playing havoc with various sites' pricing algorithms too (like on Cargurus and Autotrader) -- all to the advantage of a potential buyer of a real CS. Right now the price difference between an M3 and an M3 CS is often very close for identical mileage/condition -- perhaps $5-6k different. That premium will likely expand substantially with time.
You're very right about that... I picked up my M3cs 2 months ago and I paid about 6k over a comparable zcp M3 with similar miles. To me it was a no brainer.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52721.00
slcook541863.00
      04-18-2022, 05:23 PM   #131
m34m
Captain
Rep

In its native environment. I got the car one year ago this month and blew through the Cup 2's last season. New rubber locked and loaded for this year. Have I mentioned how much I love this crude rowdy animal of a car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
11LMBiSTT1548.50
CSBM52721.00
slcook541863.00
Gtracer53.50
bigj505359.00
RugbyBro7601.50
Wanted_M759.00
falconey483.00
Humdizzle6063.00
      04-19-2022, 11:25 AM   #132
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Genuine BMW M4 OLEDs do this under sun light.
Lol, looks like your M ratatat someone down and only splatter remains on concrete.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
THEROK1267.50