ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

09-21-2023, 11:09 AM   #1
Joguri
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp

Installing parts with Rivnuts

Has anyone ever mounted front lip, side skirts, and or rear diffuser with rivnuts? I am thinking of using them to mount all my stuff so I can remove them for winter/snow. Looking for insight on the process and how well it has worked/held up.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2023, 01:14 PM   #2
DeezBluBallz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5, BMW M3

Yep! Maxton lip kit. Sides, rear, front. Take them off in the winter. I used stainless bolts/washers. Also use antiseize on the threads. Works like a charm. This is my 3rd year into it.
My winter beater ha ha. F80 gets all the love
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 03:42 PM   #3
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

My buddy used riv nuts for my rep CS front lip along with some 3M tape. It's in the technique also.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 12:43 AM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

If you’re gonna use rivnuts on the poly bumper and rockers, I recommend using the aluminum rivnuts. They are softer than the SS ones and won’t pinch through the plastic when you squeeze them down.

I tried using the stainless ones and when I did manage to squeeze down hard enough, I literally pinched through the plastic bumper; the rivnut just fell out and I wound up with a larger hole. So I had to move up a size.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 09:40 AM   #5
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I have used rivnuts in the past on softer materials (like plastic body panels/interior panels) and what I found useful was drill the hole, insert the rivnut, and then (assuming you have access to the backside of the rivnut) put a washer on the backside of the rivnut to prevent the whole thing from pulling through the panel as you clamp it down. The hole in the middle of the washer needs to be a tight fit against rivnut diameter. You don't want it too big or the rivnut won't tighten down on the washer.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 09:20 AM   #6
GTABurnout
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Manual

Interested in how riv nuts worked for side skirt install. I am worried about drilling in to the rockers. Any one doe this? (I assume so) Any pictures or advice?
Appreciate 1
g221.50
      01-12-2024, 05:19 PM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
If you're using rivnuts on plastic, I recommend making sure the rivnuts are designed for plastic. I like using the "plus/cross" nut style that collapses to form a larger flange on back and in a plus/cross shape to bite into the plastic a bit to prevent rotation.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0