Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-21-2024, 11:05 AM   #1
X49Raven
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4 Competition

New F82 M4 Owner

Hi All,

Today I picked up my first M4 Competition, over the moon with it and certainly a lot to learn!

However, I've noticed a couple of things;

1) When starting the engine, I hear what sounds like a metal scratching sound, it happens immediately and stops as soon as the engine starts. Is this normal?

2) Fan is always on, now I don't know whether because the engine is hot still or not, but soon as I switch the ignition on, the fan springs immediately into life. Again, is this normal or not?

Will grab pictures for you all to see, but in summary it's a 2019 LCI model with 17000 verified miles and has only been serviced by a main dealer!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:28 AM   #2
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X49Raven View Post
Hi All,

Today I picked up my first M4 Competition, over the moon with it and certainly a lot to learn!

However, I've noticed a couple of things;

1) When starting the engine, I hear what sounds like a metal scratching sound, it happens immediately and stops as soon as the engine starts. Is this normal?

2) Fan is always on, now I don't know whether because the engine is hot still or not, but soon as I switch the ignition on, the fan springs immediately into life. Again, is this normal or not?

Will grab pictures for you all to see, but in summary it's a 2019 LCI model with 17000 verified miles and has only been serviced by a main dealer!
Congrats on the purchase.

I've never noticed anything out of the ordinary in starting. I'd suggest isolating the sound...is it the engine or the starter. Either sounds bad to me.

My fan runs more in sport+ mode to keep the lower temps. Really don't notice if it runs all the time or not in normal mode. I don't believe it to be an issue...long as temps are on par.
      02-22-2024, 11:17 AM   #3
X49Raven
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Congrats on the purchase.

I've never noticed anything out of the ordinary in starting. I'd suggest isolating the sound...is it the engine or the starter. Either sounds bad to me.

My fan runs more in sport+ mode to keep the lower temps. Really don't notice if it runs all the time or not in normal mode. I don't believe it to be an issue...long as temps are on par.
Thank you for your reply, I did initially think it's the starter motor as the sound disappears as soon as the engine starts. Now I know BMW engines to be quite noisy (oweing to having a BMW motorbike), but this didn't seem like the valves or cams, this was noticable sound upon turn over.

As for the fan, I'll double check but this was on the lowest engine setting (efficient) with the gearbox set all the way on its lowest setting as well (wet conditions yesterday + first time driving one = didn't want to chance it).
Appreciate 0