Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
hoobawhat?
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Am I a NUBE ///M Driver?

So I have a questions for you guys... I'll start by saying that I absolutely love driving my M4, and the performance of this car truly puts a smile on my face.. Even more so with the engine, steering, and throttle set to sport plus because it's so responsive and quick... The only thing I've noticed is that with this DTC tranny, If you don't gun it off the line from a light, I find myself doing this forward backward jerking motion that looks and feels like I'm stalling from shifting improperly in a manual car. I jerk back and forth like a bucking bronco while becoming the laughingstock of town. The other day I had a buddy who knew nothing of cars ride with me, and sure enough, it happened again. It was so bad to the point he looked at me and said, "dude, you don't deserve to drive this car man you don't even know how to drive!" I was both livid and humiliated, and I was dead inside.... I don't think my passengers truly understand what is going on, and how difficult it is to manage this phenomenon. I've gotten it down to 90% where I can takeoff smoothly but there's still that 10% where I manage to buck. Is this just ME? Or do I have something wrong with this transmission? Any input would be appreciated. I've only upgraded the crank hub, and added a catless downpipe + CP on this car. Running Bootmod3...Other than that, I'm stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Pretty sure it's happened to most of us. The throttle in Sport/Sport+ is SUPER touchy and if you catch it just right, the clutches don't grab properly and you start the kangaroo maneuver as your foot bounces on/off the gas from the initial "buck". I've found positioning my foot a little more straight on the gas pedal helps, and feathering the gas a little from a stop, like you would an actual manual car.

If you have BM3 though, flash the GTS transmission software and it'll help a ton. It'll also make for faster/firmer shifts, but the biggest advantage of it is the increased clamping force for the clutches. Makes it grab the gear much quicker in 1st and it's more difficult to kangaroo it.
      05-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
hoobawhat?
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVR4 View Post
Pretty sure it's happened to most of us. The throttle in Sport/Sport+ is SUPER touchy and if you catch it just right, the clutches don't grab properly and you start the kangaroo maneuver as your foot bounces on/off the gas from the initial "buck". I've found positioning my foot a little more straight on the gas pedal helps, and feathering the gas a little from a stop, like you would an actual manual car.

If you have BM3 though, flash the GTS transmission software and it'll help a ton. It'll also make for faster/firmer shifts, but the biggest advantage of it is the increased clamping force for the clutches. Makes it grab the gear much quicker in 1st and it's more difficult to kangaroo it.

Wow so there's an actual name for it? "The Kangaroo," Not sure I like that any more than the "bucking bronco." As for the bm3 tip, really appreciate that. I'll give that a try!
Appreciate 1
EricVR4603.50
      05-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
snowhitem4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, F98 X4M, F82 m4 - sold

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [9.83]
2021 BMW X4M  [10.00]
+1 on the GTS flash. Helps a lot. It doesn't make it fully go away but definitely makes it occur less often.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoobawhat? View Post
So I have a questions for you guys... I'll start by saying that I absolutely love driving my M4, and the performance of this car truly puts a smile on my face.. Even more so with the engine, steering, and throttle set to sport plus because it's so responsive and quick... The only thing I've noticed is that with this DTC tranny, If you don't gun it off the line from a light, I find myself doing this forward backward jerking motion that looks and feels like I'm stalling from shifting improperly in a manual car. I jerk back and forth like a bucking bronco while becoming the laughingstock of town. The other day I had a buddy who knew nothing of cars ride with me, and sure enough, it happened again. It was so bad to the point he looked at me and said, "dude, you don't deserve to drive this car man you don't even know how to drive!" I was both livid and humiliated, and I was dead inside.... I don't think my passengers truly understand what is going on, and how difficult it is to manage this phenomenon. I've gotten it down to 90% where I can takeoff smoothly but there's still that 10% where I manage to buck. Is this just ME? Or do I have something wrong with this transmission? Any input would be appreciated. I've only upgraded the crank hub, and added a catless downpipe + CP on this car. Running Bootmod3...Other than that, I'm stock.
You are a noob.

Sport plus is very sensitive but once you get a feel for it you wont have problems.

All of us have experienced this
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Find empty parking lot
Learn the amount of throttle required to engage creep mode in each throttle setting
Use that as the starting point
Before you give it throttle more than it takes to engage creep mode , wait for car to move forward a little
Drive the car like it was a manual transmission and you'll never get the forward bucking issue
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

I always give it a quick tap 10-20% pedal,no more bucking
Appreciate 2
ntg442888.50
John_M5.00
      05-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
hoobawhat?
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thank you all. This has been very helpful!!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 01:46 AM   #9
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Get the CS flash. My 2015 m4 was bucking like a bull in heat. My M3CS is a smooth as butter, zero issues.
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2020, 02:51 AM   #10
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Are you using D3 (the most aggressive auto transmission mode)? I only tried it once on the test drive (haven't had the car for long), but setting it to the most aggressive and leaving it in auto had it hold first gear for way too long. Like it was only interested in driving full throttle and waiting for me to hit the redline, and I had this bucking/jerking.

Don't think that mode is suitable for regular driving around town. Using D2 and throttle in sport, I have yet to have any issues pulling away smoothly.
D3, I suspect is meant for track/aggressive driving.

Save the most aggressive settings when you're actually driving hard

Stock M4, no aftermarket software flashed at this point.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:43 AM   #11
BrownieRK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 SA 2015 Black / Sakhir

I had this when i first got mine in sport+ and setting 3 manual change, found myself changing up to second almost immediately, which defeats the object. I got round this with a more progressive firmer foot input and voila! no more kangarooing

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #12
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Put the heel of your foot at the base of the accelerator and apply throttle with your mid foot. You’re likely seated too far back and pointing at the throttle with your toe. Like someone else has mentioned, the shift in acceleration is causing you to ping pong on and off the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #13
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Solution: Launch control. Every. time.
M4theWIN1121.50
BGxNYC53.00
      12-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #14
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

You may want to try resetting your throttle adaptations (affects comfort & sport throttle). If you spend most of your time gunning the car, it's likely your throttle and DCT has adapted to that mode of operation. You can fix it by driving like a granny for a while or just reset it and start driving smoothly from that point. On that note, think of the gas pedal as both the clutch and the gas, so as others have mentioned, tap to engage the clutch then smooth push into the pedal for controlled gas. Once you get used to it you can just press the gas in a way that incorporates both actions in one smooth movement.
      12-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #15
BeachieM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Silverstone M3/CCB

I agree that BM3 GTS DCT flash helps a lot, but doesn't solve it completely. I use the paddles 99% of the time, but if I want a faster start off the line I put it in auto as I feel I can step on it more without bucking.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #16
feeney_m4
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

My 2017 was on the original software. In Sport+ I would get the bucking, after upgrading the software though BMW it helped but did not eliminate. Or do as other suggested and try the GTS DCT flash.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #17
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

It's PIO (Pilot Induced Oscillation) applied to the drive by wire throttle input
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 03:04 AM   #18
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

I found the kangaroo / DIO was minimised when I placed the heel of my foot up against the hinge point and hinged from the ankle - it feels weird but after a while you find you have more throttle control as your entire foot is required to be pivoted not just your toe.
Appreciate 1
arashir164.00