EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-27-2023, 03:37 AM   #1
x_
Rep
Drives: F80

Mosselman on BM3 2H 93

Could never find any info regarding this when I was trying to research potential performance gains as everyone seems to instantly go custom tune running E30+ with upgraded turbos so I'll post my dragy 100-200 run alongside the BM3 data log in said run for future google search users. Run was done with MDM Euro on as I don't want to wreck my car immediately after getting work done. If anyone can more experienced can chime in if it's running well or not that'd be great.

Mods engine wise -
  • Mosselman MSL65-80
  • Wagner Chargecooler
  • Valvetronic Equal Length exhaust
  • Freeflow Downpipes
  • NGK 97506 - 0.022~0.023
  • CBC

Tune -
  • BM3 OTS 2H 93 map
  • BM3 GTS Transmission map

Log -

https://bootmod3.net/log?id=6511c477ae729b6b3b365dc1

Run -

[SPOILER][/SPOILER]
Appreciate 3
      09-27-2023, 07:04 AM   #2
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3

We ran a similar setup on our F80 M3 shop car but with the M5 injectors and Eventuri Intake. We managed 5.5s 100-200s. If you're looking for more performance I'd recommend the M5 injectors and then we can help you with custom tuning.

Here's a video on the package we put together:

Appreciate 2
n8dgr84173.50
sly1types431.50
      09-27-2023, 12:16 PM   #3
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_ View Post
Could never find any info regarding this when I was trying to research potential performance gains as everyone seems to instantly go custom tune running E30+ with upgraded turbos so I'll post my dragy 100-200 run alongside the BM3 data log in said run for future google search users. Run was done with MDM Euro on as I don't want to wreck my car immediately after getting work done. If anyone can more experienced can chime in if it's running well or not that'd be great.

Mods engine wise -
  • Mosselman MSL65-80
  • Wagner Chargecooler
  • Freeflow Downpipes
  • CBC

Tune -
  • BM3 OTS 2H 93 map
  • BM3 GTS Transmission map

Log -

https://bootmod3.net/log?id=6511c477ae729b6b3b365dc1

Run -

[SPOILER][/SPOILER]
Thanks for posting! Like you said, it can be hard to find information on 93, seems most people posting run ethanol blends and/or meth injection.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 04:14 PM   #4
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
The time 100-200 is correct, almost all hybrid turbos do that time with bm3 stage2h, the only difference is that some have a faster spool than others.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11488.50
      09-27-2023, 11:12 PM   #5
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

No point in turbos if you aren’t going to run a custom tune, you say you don’t wanna wreck your car but an OTS tune is more dangerous then a well designed custom specifically for your car and how your logs look. On MSL65-80 you should be in the 4.5 100-200 range all day long. But yes get a custom tune asap. Keep it on 93 if you wish. Right now your running stock turbo numbers but even slower
      09-28-2023, 01:12 AM   #6
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_MEDUSA View Post
No point in turbos if you aren’t going to run a custom tune, you say you don’t wanna wreck your car but an OTS tune is more dangerous then a well designed custom specifically for your car and how your logs look. On MSL65-80 you should be in the 4.5 100-200 range all day long. But yes get a custom tune asap. Keep it on 93 if you wish. Right now your running stock turbo numbers but even slower
Don't say stupid things and don't scare the forum members, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

4 years with ots and I didn't have the slightest problem, I have seen ots stage2h map and there is absolutely nothing dangerous in it.

100-200 in 4.5 you must do them in your deepest dreams, to get that time in real life you have to pray the Lord's Prayer every time you have to step on the throttle.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11488.50
      09-28-2023, 06:06 AM   #7
x_
Rep

Quote:
This is such a dumb take I have no idea where to begin. I posted this thread for the other people who may be looking for answers for a specific set up that isn't that uncommon. Yes a custom tune will be faster, yes a balls out E50 stock turbo or a mediocre E85 tune can run faster than this. That's not the point. Different fuels.

BM3 OTS is one of the safer tunes available out of the gate. If you ever look at all these threads with blown up engines or injector failures, it's always a custom tune or someone running some kind of E30+ mix.

4.5seconds 100-200 is built engine territory with E85 and methanol. You're not getting that stock unless it's a hero run before you bend your rods. That's easily in the 800+whp range in dynojet numbers.

Please, next time think before you post.
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11488.50
n8dgr84173.50
OCSPEED18.50
      09-28-2023, 06:42 AM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
Don't say stupid things and don't scare the forum members, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

4 years with ots and I didn't have the slightest problem, I have seen ots stage2h map and there is absolutely nothing dangerous in it.

100-200 in 4.5 you must do them in your deepest dreams, to get that time in real life you have to pray the Lord's Prayer every time you have to step on the throttle.
Quote:
This is such a dumb take I have no idea where to begin. I posted this thread for the other people who may be looking for answers for a specific set up that isn't that uncommon. Yes a custom tune will be faster, yes a balls out E50 stock turbo or a mediocre E85 tune can run faster than this. That's not the point. Different fuels.

BM3 OTS is one of the safer tunes available out of the gate. If you ever look at all these threads with blown up engines or injector failures, it's always a custom tune or someone running some kind of E30+ mix.

4.5seconds 100-200 is built engine territory with E85 and methanol. You're not getting that stock unless it's a hero run before you bend your rods. That's easily in the 800+whp range in dynojet numbers.

Please, next time think before you post.

Exactly right.

Engine boom boom events are almost always linked to 'custom' tunes and weird fuel.

OTS 2H is what you run if you want more power but to have all your safeties enabled.

In the E9X world, after ten years of all this 'custom tune' talk, the mssflasher project came to fruition and we could read the content of all these tunes, well guess what, almost 100% of these custom tunes were pure bullshit, with random code snippets that made no sense.

Tuners may be capable of putting out a quality custom tune, but they're too busy printing money to care. And they have armies of fanboys and many times are forum sponsors, so negative feedback is suppressed.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 09-28-2023 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2023, 09:15 AM   #9
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Thanks for posting in such an organized manner - it is refreshing.

The IAT's are incredible from that Wagner top mount - I'm sure the awesome conditions helped a bit, though.

FWIW my manual M2 did a 6.6 100-200 on a F80 Paul "road course tune" w/stock turbos+E60 so I bet yours feels great and is more practical on 93.

However, I would caution as I see a couple of knock events and lots of timing correction in 4th.
I also see overboosting, which may be causing these issues.
Have you done a boost leak test?

I would personally look into a custom tune to iron that out and be safer, but, you do you.

Last edited by n8dgr84; 09-28-2023 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 09:01 AM   #10
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

A custom tune targeting the same power level as an OTS will always be safer and more reliable. One size fits all vs tailored for your vehicle. This cannot be disputed.
hAxel91.00
      11-28-2023, 02:41 PM   #11
AlexN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SMB M3CS

Quote:
Mods engine wise -
  • Mosselman MSL65-80
  • Wagner Chargecooler
  • Freeflow Downpipes
  • CBC
Quick question on your exhaust setup if I may..
How is the valvetronic exhaust with the free flow downpipes for daily driving?
I've watched their videos and while it sounds great when pushing the car, I am wondering if it will be too loud for normal daily driving
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 03:18 PM   #12
lookitsapples
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

Quote:
A custom tune targeting the same power level as an OTS will always be safer and more reliable. One size fits all vs tailored for your vehicle. This cannot be disputed.
I've actually have never seen anyone post about their engine blowing up or failing with an OTS tune. But I've seen countless ones from f80paul for example cause catastrophic damage. I understand OP's concern. Sure OTS doesn't make nearly as much power but the amount of risk people are willing to do with custom tunes is pretty wild
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2023, 04:36 PM   #13
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

hi,

I'd expect much better time with mosselman turbos and ethanol mix. Without MDM I believe you can cut another tens of a second. close to 6s or high 5s.

Take some time and verify where to switch the gears - it matters a lot when cutting milliseconds.

Try to accelerate from 60kmh on 3rd and WOT up to 200 on 5th most likely. I do pulls from 60 on 3rd gear, then 4th and 5th at the end. My best so far 6.79 but I fight with traction - need to exchange tires finally to Conti. I change gears around 6700rpms

I'm on BM3 , stage 2 OTS. GTS tune for gearbox. arm catless downpipe and BMC drop-in filters, regular Eu 98octane(93). Other than that fully stock
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 04:54 PM   #14
x_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Quick question on your exhaust setup if I may..
How is the valvetronic exhaust with the free flow downpipes for daily driving?
I've watched their videos and while it sounds great when pushing the car, I am wondering if it will be too loud for normal daily driving
I drive the car with the valves closed about 95% of the time, I only open them when I know I'm going to floor it and make noise on purpose. It's very loud, loud enough to make everyone turn their heads in either approval or disapproval but not loud enough to make ears ring and bleed.

Be warned that the 2k rasp still exists even with the valves closed if you go free flow. I drive the car in manual mode essentially these days to avoid 1800-2100rpm because of the rasp. It's not as bad as the Active Autowerke ones because of the valves but yeah, still noticeably there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
hi,

I'd expect much better time with mosselman turbos and ethanol mix. Without MDM I believe you can cut another tens of a second. close to 6s or high 5s.

Take some time and verify where to switch the gears - it matters a lot when cutting milliseconds.

Try to accelerate from 60kmh on 3rd and WOT up to 200 on 5th most likely. I do pulls from 60 on 3rd gear, then 4th and 5th at the end. My best so far 6.79 but I fight with traction - need to exchange tires finally to Conti. I change gears around 6700rpms

I'm on BM3 , stage 2 OTS. GTS tune for gearbox. arm catless downpipe and BMC drop-in filters, regular Eu 98octane(93). Other than that fully stock

There is no ethanol mix, only the 10% on 93 pump fuel. This is on 2H 93 octane tune. For sure there's more in it, this was basically my only run that got validated by dragy because it kept losing signal, only went about 3 times before I got annoyed and went back home. 6.05~6.2 is def doable on OTS.

------------------------------------------

I should reiterate that I'm not completely against custom tunes (some tuners tho I'm completely against), I eventually plan on doing a custom tune with Bend Calibration in a few months when the weather gets better and I can datalog for him. I just find it annoying when people spread misinformation and shut down conversations when it comes to this stuff.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2023, 01:46 PM   #15
AlexN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SMB M3CS

Quote:
I drive the car with the valves closed about 95% of the time, I only open them when I know I'm going to floor it and make noise on purpose. It's very loud, loud enough to make everyone turn their heads in either approval or disapproval but not loud enough to make ears ring and bleed.

Be warned that the 2k rasp still exists even with the valves closed if you go free flow. I drive the car in manual mode essentially these days to avoid 1800-2100rpm because of the rasp. It's not as bad as the Active Autowerke ones because of the valves but yeah, still noticeably there.
Thank you! sounds like stock/200CEL or resonated downpipes are a must with this exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 05:03 PM   #16
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Quote:

There is no ethanol mix, only the 10% on 93 pump fuel. This is on 2H 93 octane tune. For sure there's more in it, this was basically my only run that got validated by dragy because it kept losing signal, only went about 3 times before I got annoyed and went back home. 6.05~6.2 is def doable on OTS.

------------------------------------------

I should reiterate that I'm not completely against custom tunes (some tuners tho I'm completely against), I eventually plan on doing a custom tune with Bend Calibration in a few months when the weather gets better and I can datalog for him. I just find it annoying when people spread misinformation and shut down conversations when it comes to this stuff.
My bad, I did not notice. I'm very curious what times you will get once you do more runs. Keep us updated with the time results of your build
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 11:08 AM   #17
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Currently my predicament where I’ve gotten all my parts in (HPFP lift kit, MSL65-80, stage 3 LPFP, EU5’s) and I’m currently on winter tires talking with Ian from bend about a custom tune. 🫠

The turbos and LPFP are scheduled to go in next week at the shop and I’ll def need a custom map of some sorts given MHD doesn’t do a 2NH equivalent of BM3 and I’m at the point anyway where custom is the only path forward.

I’m probably just going to end up having to rent a dump for the logging runs at this point.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 04:42 PM   #18
RAT3DM
Mod Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
You do realize the OTS map was a custom tune made for the general platform to be safe correct? It's already safe and reliable....you must like spending money on custom stuff...

OP your question is a valid one, but most people do go custom tuning. As already mentioned you probably aren't ideal to take advantage of your specific mods, but it shouldn't be unsafe to run.

Last edited by RAT3DM; 12-02-2023 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11488.50
      03-16-2024, 09:53 AM   #19
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Mosselman BM OTS Stage 2H on CA 91 Dyno!
Attached Images

SilleM358.50
RAT3DM51.50
ra2289305.50
      03-17-2024, 12:19 AM   #20
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
Mosselman BM OTS Stage 2H on CA 91 Dyno!
How's the timing corrections look on Cali 91?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 12:48 AM   #21
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
How's the timing corrections look on Cali 91?
DATA LOG

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=65f4...92f2463c3d0fee
sly1types431.50