ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-01-2024, 08:53 PM   #1
OG_F87
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Single turbo s55 tuners?

Hello I hope all is well, I recently ordered a big boost efr 8474 turbo kit for my 18 m3 6 spd and have been stuck with looking for a good tuner to work with. I should add that I am not looking to make the most power but rather keep things low around 550 whp until I have the time to do the clutch/fueling and possibly building the motor down the line. For all F8x owners with single turbos please any recommendations would be helpful so I am not steered in the wrong direction. It would be worth noting that my car will be tuned with MHD as well. Thanks in advance to all
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 09:20 AM   #2
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoM2C View Post
With a single, I’d go with ecutek all day every day.

Way more safety parameters built in, with inputs and outputs to run external modules like flex fuel and PI as well as additional sensors - an all round more capable system than anything out there that isn’t completely standalone.
Bend Calibration if planning to go with ECUTek.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 2
Wanted_M759.00
astris615.00
      01-02-2024, 10:22 AM   #3
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Bend Calibration if planning to go with ECUTek.
only issue with Bend is they will not tune a single bank setup. Not sure how the big boost kit is setup. I wanted to use them on my 4N setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:40 PM   #4
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
only issue with Bend is they will not tune a single bank setup. Not sure how the big boost kit is setup. I wanted to use them on my 4N setup.
Can you elaborate a bit as to why, thanks.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 07:50 AM   #5
WOT808
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 and F15

Cool build!
I have an EFR on my M3 that I've tuned through MHD using single bank o2 logic and Reflex for PI control.

Reach out to me via PM if I can help.
      01-03-2024, 09:36 AM   #6
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Three of my friends with big singles are tuned with ABP
      01-03-2024, 10:33 AM   #7
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeTh View Post
Three of my friends with big singles are tuned with ABP
what platforms are they tuned on? Do you know what kits they have/ setups?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 11:00 AM   #8
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
what platforms are they tuned on? Do you know what kits they have/ setups?
All are tuned on Bootmod.
One is running a Big Boost 8474 bottom mount with PI, no meth, stock motor, tuned on 93 and I think low E. The weld quality on the big boost kit was not the best by the way, charge pipe was welded kinda janky (see pic). The Y portion was rubbing on his CS hood.

One is running DG Autowerke’s top mount (not sure about turbo size), PI, 50/50 meth, built motor and trans, full flex fuel, and he’s removed the TMIC to go to some front intercooler setup (air-to-air maybe?)
Hes been working with ABP ever since he was stock motor and Pure S2+ (which I’m selling on his behalf here on bimmerpost &#128518

The third guy I don’t know his setup nearly as well, just that it’s a bottom mount on stock motor
Attached Images

M_Torx328.00
      01-03-2024, 01:45 PM   #9
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not entirely sure that’s accurate bud… when did you last speak to them?
October. Reading an email exchange where Ian explicitly said he will not tune a single turbo kit without o2 sensors on each bank like the factory. Ecutec can tune single bank, he will not.

I then spoke to 4n about putting bungs in the exhaust manifold and learned that was how the kit was originally designed but the o2 sensors were being cooked very quickly on track so he moved them back to the down pipe in single bank configuration.

It sounds like the sensors may hold up in the manifold on the street but the sustained higher temps on track are too much. I track mine so they are going in the downpipe.

I have read good things about Motiv Tuning but cant get any response from them. I have BM3 now but would move to Ecutec.

Last edited by b_w.; 01-03-2024 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 08:27 PM   #10
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Tons of bm3 tuned single turbo S55 out there. Single bank is just a toggle on the map configuration. More and more people I’m reading are loving Maxxecu setup for PI and boost and it even integrates with bm3 for flex fuel like their flex fuel kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 07:01 AM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Tons of bm3 tuned single turbo S55 out there. Single bank is just a toggle on the map configuration. More and more people I’m reading are loving Maxxecu setup for PI and boost and it even integrates with bm3 for flex fuel like their flex fuel kit.
What do hp and torque curves look like for a single turbo? More or less linear power curve? Better or worse than stock spool time/lag? I guess this really depends on turbo size but I assume a single turbo is larger than the stock twins?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 01:37 PM   #12
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You’re pretty much where I am with this whole single turbo thing.

Personally, I would prefer to run 6 lambda sensors on each runner simply because you will naturally get fuelling variance between each cylinder. Obviously this isn’t possible with the stock ECU, which is ultimately where the Syvecs would come in, hopefully…

If you decide to stick the lambdas in sequence in the down pipe, you’ll only get an average reading from across all 6 ports. However, you may potentially end up in a situation where one cylinder is running lean and another cylinder running rich, in which case the lambdas now sitting all the way down in the downpipe will read as if everything is calibrated correctly. It would then only be a matter of time before you cook that lean cylinder, especially on the track.

The only way to do this properly with the stock ECU, is to go with a T4 divided turbo and stick the lambdas in the billet collector, that way, you would at least get a somewhat more precise reading from each bank.

I’m not saying this to deter you from going with a single turbo set up, just pointing out the current limitations of the stock ECU as this is also something I’m currently contemplating.
kit is bought and paid for so its going in one way or another!
Appreciate 1
M_Torx328.00
      01-04-2024, 10:21 PM   #13
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

I've been eyeing this turbo kit due to the O2 sensor location on mani, it keeps both and both for DP's. Just don't know how well they work in that location.

https://speedtech.com/pages/bmw-s55-turbo-kit

I'm following sideways_n55 project but it's not online yet.
https://youtu.be/qhVsqyjZlvA
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 11:38 PM   #14
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
I've been eyeing this turbo kit due to the O2 sensor location on mani, it keeps both and both for DP's. Just don't know how well they work in that location.

https://speedtech.com/pages/bmw-s55-turbo-kit

I'm following sideways_n55 project but it's not online yet.
https://youtu.be/qhVsqyjZlvA
Only issue for me is can't fit the carbon brace with speedtech.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 12:25 AM   #15
reign
vin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F80 M3

Chris from Motiv is extremely thorough and helpful
Appreciate 1
OG_F8710.00
      01-05-2024, 10:14 AM   #16
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Only issue for me is can't fit the carbon brace with speedtech.
Good point, I didn't think about that
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 09:04 PM   #17
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Connected with Chris at motiv. He suggested tuning on mhd would be easy for a single turbo setup. Had some thoughtful dialog and replies. Said the bimmerworld gt more is tuned with upgraded turbos on mhd and it is obviosly heavily tracked. Not sure yet but gives me comfort knowing the tuner has worked on track oriented cars with built motors and upgraded turbos.
Appreciate 1
OG_F8710.00
      01-10-2024, 12:11 AM   #18
OG_F87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Connected with Chris at motiv. He suggested tuning on mhd would be easy for a single turbo setup. Had some thoughtful dialog and replies. Said the bimmerworld gt more is tuned with upgraded turbos on mhd and it is obviosly heavily tracked. Not sure yet but gives me comfort knowing the tuner has worked on track oriented cars with built motors and upgraded turbos.
It seems the guys at motiv have tuned a couple efr 8474 turbos with mhd and have gotten great results. I was planning on going with them from the start but hearing the recommendations seals the deal for me. I am still waiting on the turbo to arrive but will update this thread in the future when she is all buttoned up.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 08:14 AM   #19
Schemxr
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Isn’t MHD tuning just glorified chip tuning? - genuine question.
mhd is just a platform that tuners can use to flash the car. just like bootmod3
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2024, 01:32 PM   #20
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemxr View Post
highly recommend ABPerformance. always responds promptly and provides endless feedback and support. doesn’t hold back like some tuners who old give you sauce if they know you personally or if you have a large social media presence. lot of tuners just give you the basic tune for your setup and tweak it here and there but don’t actually give you the “sauce”
I found he was very responsive to emails as well. I have a level of comfort with a tuner that is doing track cars which is my use. Ab's socials are all about drag racing.

Not like there are a ton of single turbo track cars but the ones I have seen are tuned on mhd. I was hoping ecutek would work but looks like that isn't an option.
Appreciate 1
M3EW221.00
      01-11-2024, 03:42 PM   #21
Beyond_Ill
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
Why do you think ecutek isn’t an option?
I don't know the specifics but there's something about ECUtek that doesn't allow for single bank tuning/integration. The 4N motorsport kit is designed around a single bank. There are dual bank kits out there but from what I've heard, the O2s won't survive in a road racing environment.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 06:06 PM   #22
Beyond_Ill
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
They can be tuned with a single bank set up. You just need to find a tuner who will set it up that way!
No doubt, I'm sure it's possible but there's a reluctance to make that step in innovation. I asked Bend Calibration about it the other day but they wouldn't budge. Hopefully we'll see some progress in the upcoming months, this platform seems to be picking up again.
Appreciate 0