R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-03-2024, 08:17 PM   #67
Nyc911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997.1

Very nice build… I just completed a similar build and just got my base tune and it’s amazing you’re going to love it.

I did the LPFP, HPFP, lines and injectors w my as recommended by AB performance plus I’m less mechanically inclined so labor was pretty much minimal as were things as out.

It’s still winter in NYC but w the Schrick cams and the p1000 pure turbos this thing just keeps pulling so much fun
Appreciate 2
DeTh335.00
      02-05-2024, 01:34 PM   #68
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc911 View Post
Very nice build… I just completed a similar build and just got my base tune and it’s amazing you’re going to love it.

I did the LPFP, HPFP, lines and injectors w my as recommended by AB performance plus I’m less mechanically inclined so labor was pretty much minimal as were things as out.

It’s still winter in NYC but w the Schrick cams and the p1000 pure turbos this thing just keeps pulling so much fun
I’m very ready to get the car back 😁 I think it will be a ton of fun!

Update!
Motor is almost done
Attached Images

02-07-2024, 05:52 PM   #69
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Another update. You guys have convinced me. I am getting the LPFP, and Bend's Ultimate Flex Fuel kit (includes flex fuel sensor and fuel filter)

I'm probably going to be switching to Bend. I've heard nothing but amazing things about them. I got in contact with Ian, so hopefully we will take it from there.
If anyone has feedback on them, feel free to share.
I'll be picking up the blown motor tonight and disassembling it myself. The car should be ready by the end of this weekend 😆😆
      02-08-2024, 07:45 PM   #70
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeTh View Post
Another update. You guys have convinced me. I am getting the LPFP, and Bend's Ultimate Flex Fuel kit (includes flex fuel sensor and fuel filter)

I'm probably going to be switching to Bend. I've heard nothing but amazing things about them. I got in contact with Ian, so hopefully we will take it from there.
If anyone has feedback on them, feel free to share.
I'll be picking up the blown motor tonight and disassembling it myself. The car should be ready by the end of this weekend ����
I was under the impression that the LPFP is fine up but the HPFPs are what need to be upgraded for over 600whp.

What did Ian tell you?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 02:46 PM   #71
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
I was under the impression that the LPFP is fine up but the HPFPs are what need to be upgraded for over 600whp.

What did Ian tell you?
As an update - I'm not sure if I'm going to be tuning with Bend. I am weighing my options. I've asked them for clarification if they want me to get the lift kit, and if they do then I'll be finding someone else. They also wanted me to get a different TMIC and switch to EcuTek (basically spend another $4k). I'm all for doing stuff right but I'm pretty confident my power goals are very doable with the setup I have now.

Cary has told me that they recommend LPFP over 650WHP. Kratos has mentioned that 750whp with stock HPFP and LPFP is possible, but I don't want stuff to be on the brink. I've messaged a few other tuners to get their opinions as well.

The car has seen some slight delays, we were missing some turbo oil line gaskets that were on back order from BMW. It should be ready this week.
n8dgr84173.50
Hotflare188.50
      02-15-2024, 11:28 AM   #72
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Another update…
The guy working on my car slipped and fell on oil in the shop. He is OK, but out of commission for awhile. I’m planning to take the car to Miami Engines to get the job finished.
      02-18-2024, 01:29 PM   #73
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Bummer, hope he has a speedy recovery. As for the HPFP, IMHO buy it, you've spent a lot of time/$$ so far. It all depends on E% & loading, don't let a HPFP land you short of the goal. Dorch is a great upgrade and cost-effective vs other offerings. Leave your IC for now, which one do you have now?

You can always upgrade IC later but data is data, hence why Bend only recommends Wagner IC. Good luck man.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 11:00 PM   #74
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

As mentioned, Bend will want the Wagner TMIC but I’m working with them with the Mishi as I got it on a Black Friday sale. As for the EcuTek switch, I too was on the fence originally leaving MHD for it but came to realize that there are more fueling tables on EcuTek that isn’t available on MHD. I already had the lift kit and was suggested to grab the brushless LPFP. With how much I already invested in the setup, I just didn’t want to have a “well what if I did get the upgraded [insert part name here]”.

I don’t chase numbers, just a nice curve. Told that to Ian from the get go. The fueling + the hybrid turbos added on will make the numbers happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 03:12 PM   #75
pxscu
pxscu
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
As mentioned, Bend will want the Wagner TMIC but I’m working with them with the Mishi as I got it on a Black Friday sale. As for the EcuTek switch, I too was on the fence originally leaving MHD for it but came to realize that there are more fueling tables on EcuTek that isn’t available on MHD. I already had the lift kit and was suggested to grab the brushless LPFP. With how much I already invested in the setup, I just didn’t want to have a “well what if I did get the upgraded [insert part name here]”.

I don’t chase numbers, just a nice curve. Told that to Ian from the get go. The fueling + the hybrid turbos added on will make the numbers happen.
They're working with MHD now. Maybe someone will have a better experience than I did trying to work with them.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 03:16 PM   #76
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxscu View Post
They're working with MHD now. Maybe someone will have a better experience than I did trying to work with them.
They are though they told me because of my fueling needs with the flex fuel setup on E, I would be better served by EcuTek as they have additional fueling tables that would be better suited for those parameters. I suppose it depends on your needs and picking the right tool for the job. I'm still dialing my tune in as the north east winter isn't making it easy to do logs but the 93 part of the tune has felt great so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:18 PM   #77
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Bummer, hope he has a speedy recovery. As for the HPFP, IMHO buy it, you've spent a lot of time/$$ so far. It all depends on E% & loading, don't let a HPFP land you short of the goal. Dorch is a great upgrade and cost-effective vs other offerings. Leave your IC for now, which one do you have now?

You can always upgrade IC later but data is data, hence why Bend only recommends Wagner IC. Good luck man.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxscu View Post
Quote:
They are though they told me because of my fueling needs with the flex fuel setup on E, I would be better served by EcuTek as they have additional fueling tables that would be better suited for those parameters. I suppose it depends on your needs and picking the right tool for the job. I'm still dialing my tune in as the north east winter isn't making it easy to do logs but the 93 part of the tune has felt great so far.
Just to reply to everyone here.
The car has now been moved to Miami Engines to complete the rest of the build. They have given me an ETA of Thursday/Friday of this week unless anything goes awry. So very ready to get this car back! I have a few things on my plate to install once I get the car back (Stage 3 Brushless LPFP, BM3 Flex Fuel Sensor, and a new edc shock), but I have to do break-in as well so it shouldn't set anything back.

I've heard from so many different tuners that I do not need a HPFP for lower ethanol blends to hit my power goals. I get that Bend is on the conservative side, but I'm already out a lot of money with this build and just decided to not get something that I've been told by everyone else that I don't need. They wanted me to either do that or add PI with 1050cc injectors . I know for sure I don't need that much extra fuel.
They also were mandating me to switch to EcuTek since they are not currently offering EU5 or upgraded turbo tuning on BM3.

I was originally on the original TMIC, but switched to VRSF just to prevent it from leaking in the future. I'm aware there are probably diminished cooling abilities, but the meth should offset that quite well.

So ultimately to tune with Bend I would have to spend another $4000+. That's just not something I'm willing to do right now. I'm all for doing stuff right, but I think that's a bit too much. I have a few tuners that I'm weighing options between currently.

Thanks to everyone whos following the build so far, I'll keep it updated when I get the car!
      02-19-2024, 10:24 PM   #78
f20kills
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Bend won’t force you to make those changes. There’s a reason you blew a motor and Bend understands why….. my opinion….these other tuners are Dyno queens. Not saying they’re junk tuners but my car will only be tuned by Bend since I do road courses/TA. You’ll avoid using Bend but these other tuners will max out your fueling limits yet again. I only want 600 whp but I have all of Bends “sweet spot” parts.

Bigger fueling is like a crank hub…. Everyone says you don’t need to upgrade til you do. By then it’s too late. ��
Appreciate 2
Hotflare188.50
astris615.00
      02-19-2024, 11:55 PM   #79
Hotflare
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB M3 Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f20kills View Post
Bend won’t force you to make those changes. There’s a reason you blew a motor and Bend understands why….. my opinion….these other tuners are Dyno queens. Not saying they’re junk tuners but my car will only be tuned by Bend since I do road courses/TA. You’ll avoid using Bend but these other tuners will max out your fueling limits yet again. I only want 600 whp but I have all of Bends “sweet spot” parts.

Bigger fueling is like a crank hub…. Everyone says you don’t need to upgrade til you do. By then it’s too late. 👍
+1
I'm for bend... I would honestly tune with them via mhd , but I live in the biggest smog nazi state in America lol so getting my smog done in mhd is a no go sadly
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 04:35 PM   #80
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotflare View Post
+1
I'm for bend... I would honestly tune with them via mhd , but I live in the biggest smog nazi state in America lol so getting my smog done in mhd is a no go sadly
A simple flash back to stock OEM map will fix that. ECUTek, Bend will develop your tune from your base map, MHD will back up your OEM map before it all starts, and you can revert anytime and BM3 you have to load stock map and lock ECU to match original. You'll pass, no reason not to tune.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 04:44 PM   #81
Hotflare
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
A simple flash back to stock OEM map will fix that. ECUTek, Bend will develop your tune from your base map, MHD will back up your OEM map before it all starts, and you can revert anytime and BM3 you have to load stock map and lock ECU to match original. You'll pass, no reason not to tune.
It'll be more or less the injectors causing the issues , am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 02:41 PM   #82
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Update! Miami Engines decided to pull the motor (apparently the tech said it was easier than dropping the subframe). This also let them get a good solid look over everything the other shop installed.

They've given me an ETA of Monday for the car being running!
On a side note, my flex fuel sensor also came today
Attached Images

Wanted_M759.00
      02-21-2024, 03:01 PM   #83
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Hopefully all goes well. Usually switching shops in the middle of an install ends with problems.....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 03:03 PM   #84
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
Hopefully all goes well. Usually switching shops in the middle of an install ends with problems.....
I hope all goes well. Of all shops to switch to, I think Miami engines was probably one of the best choices. The tech working on my car has his own M4 that he has built the motor on, and is very very knowledgeable. Only one way to find out... And that's time!
      02-21-2024, 05:00 PM   #85
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotflare View Post
It'll be more or less the injectors causing the issues , am I wrong?
You're correct if you have EU5's installed, you'll need to revert back to stock original EU6 for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 05:08 PM   #86
Hotflare
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
You're correct if you have EU5's installed, you'll need to revert back to stock original EU6 for it to work.
Yeah too much work for smog. 550whp on flex and less is all ill ever need to run in advanced groups for track days.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 06:49 PM   #87
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

What's the latest update?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 11:03 PM   #88
DeTh
Lieutenant