EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-06-2020, 10:11 PM   #67
yjypm
First Lieutenant
yjypm's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
382
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
how much negative camber are users getting in the front with this kit with about 25-30mm of lowering.
Without camber plates I got -2.5 in the front
__________________

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #68
jim1013yyf
Second Lieutenant
58
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: YMB M4
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjot.hans View Post
B16 Damptronic is a excellent replacement to stock EDC system suspension.

Initially the ride was uncomfortable, but I'm a newb and now I realize that the coil-overs were just settling in.

After about 100mi, the car has 3 distinct modes. Efficient/Sport/Sport is my daily drive setting and its amazing. Car is planted, not too bouncy, and the shifts are smoother since the overall dynamics of the car are more engaged than ever.
I've been on the fence about getting B16. I'm also in South Bay, can I get a ride in your car sometime?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 11:19 PM   #69
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
149
Rep
639
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Denver Area

iTrader: (3)

I wish more users would chime in on these. Or, maybe there aren't that many?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:26 AM   #70
BzsBimmer
Brigadier General
BzsBimmer's Avatar
South Korea
894
Rep
4,312
Posts

Drives: 2011 X5M & 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nor. Cal

iTrader: (22)

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
Iím a user. Iím in Sacramento region. I am happy with my setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:15 AM   #71
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1111
Rep
1,185
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 Mineral White 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
I wish more users would chime in on these. Or, maybe there aren't that many?
Between this and other threads, I counted about 9 members with reviews or comments on the kit. How many more are you looking for? I ask because I don't anticipate your purchase decision changing - the reviews on B16D are mixed.

I recently changed back to stock shocks with MP HAS. The ride is perfect...90% of the time. But the straight line grip sucks again, TC light is flashing non-stop during pulls, and I still need to pucker up over the bigger bumps at high speeds. But this is nothing new, and I knew this going in.

But at least my wife will get in the car with me again so we can actually use it as a car. I already have my R8 as a toy, which ironically rides so much better, so MP HAS was still the right choice for me.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the reason for all these discrepancies is due to BMW's numerous software revisions. So many different versions out there, and cars won't get updated unless it's warranty related, and that's before you even get into the Comp Pack or CS settings. Way too much variation in software between model years and trims, so EDC suspension reviews are all over the place. Irritates the hell out of me because you genuinely can't make a well-informed decision.
Appreciate 1
yjypm151.00

      01-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #72
jwt67
New Member
3
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Woodbury, MN

iTrader: (0)

ntg44,

Do you know what version of firmware you have on your M3?

Did you have it updated by the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #73
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1111
Rep
1,185
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 Mineral White 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt67 View Post
ntg44,

Do you know what version of firmware you have on your M3?

Did you have it updated by the dealer?
No idea. The car hasn't had any software updates since I took delivery in Feb 2017, and it shouldn't need to.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #74
LYTSOUT
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: F30 N55 xDrive ///M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (0)

Similar experience with Damptronics in 997S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
I wish there was an ability to tune the damping system for the b16 (possibly the OEM system). I currently have my EDC settings to the CS tuning and my b16s feel good, but I would like a way to make comfort, softer, and sport plus, harder.
There IS a product exactly like you're describing. It's basically a module that allows you to reprogram/customize the adaptive dampers to any level across many parameters...but it doesn't seem to be available for BMW. I had this on my 997S which had B16 Damptronics. Like the OP, I ultimately found them to be unbearably stiff on the street even in Normal (although amazing on the track in Sport). In addition to raising the ride height to well within Bilstein's recommended specs (they were initially a bit low, and I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't riding on the bumpstops), I also bought this DSC and reprogrammed the Damptronics so Normal was down to 0% stiffness (i.e., 100% soft). And the ride was still way too stiff for me on the street and I don't track enough to justify keeping a car like that around for a few weekend's per year. Rather than opening up new cans of worms like revalving and/or swapping springs, I ultimately just sold the car.

So here I am...now considering an F80 ZCP...and THAT is why I'm looking over old suspension threads! My current plan is to get the MP HAS (like the OP eventually did). My hope is that it'll be a sufficient suspension setup for a DD with a few track weekends/year.


https://www.dscsport.com/

I guess my take away would be that B16s (in either PSS10 or Damptronic version) aren't necessarily as street-friendly as many ppl claim they are, and this is apparently true across brands per the OP and my experiences. On the other hand, I had PSS10s on my E46 M3 and they were fine on the street so I can't claim they're always too stiff either!
__________________
-PCA Instructor #201804533
-F30 N55 xDrive ///M Sport, 6MT, BM3 Stg 1 93oct (my daily)
-Porsche 997 Coupe (wife's daily/track car)
-Mercedes ML550 (kid-hauler)
-Past: 997S, E46 ///M3, 996 Turbo, E36 ///M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #75
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
149
Rep
639
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Denver Area

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
There IS a product exactly like you're describing. It's basically a module that allows you to reprogram/customize the adaptive dampers to any level across many parameters...but it doesn't seem to be available for BMW. I had this on my 997S which had B16 Damptronics. Like the OP, I ultimately found them to be unbearably stiff on the street even in Normal (although amazing on the track in Sport). In addition to raising the ride height to well within Bilstein's recommended specs (they were initially a bit low, and I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't riding on the bumpstops), I also bought this DSC and reprogrammed the Damptronics so Normal was down to 0% stiffness (i.e., 100% soft). And the ride was still way too stiff for me on the street and I don't track enough to justify keeping a car like that around for a few weekend's per year. Rather than opening up new cans of worms like revalving and/or swapping springs, I ultimately just sold the car.

So here I am...now considering an F80 ZCP...and THAT is why I'm looking over old suspension threads! My current plan is to get the MP HAS (like the OP eventually did). My hope is that it'll be a sufficient suspension setup for a DD with a few track weekends/year.


https://www.dscsport.com/

I guess my take away would be that B16s (in either PSS10 or Damptronic version) aren't necessarily as street-friendly as many ppl claim they are, and this is apparently true across brands per the OP and my experiences. On the other hand, I had PSS10s on my E46 M3 and they were fine on the street so I can't claim they're always too stiff either!
Seems to be the only consensus is that they are too stiff for the street.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #76
LYTSOUT
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: F30 N55 xDrive ///M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
Seems to be the only consensus is that they are too stiff for the street.
I can't speak for F80 consensus, but among the E46 and 997 crowd, the B16 is a very-streetable/occasional-track setup. What's weird is that the OP and I had very different experiences in the E46, F80, and 997. My guess is that it ultimately boils down to a personal preference thing as well as the local road conditions. "Too stiff" might mean very different things for someone living in NY (terrible roads) vs FL (super smooth roads).
__________________
-PCA Instructor #201804533
-F30 N55 xDrive ///M Sport, 6MT, BM3 Stg 1 93oct (my daily)
-Porsche 997 Coupe (wife's daily/track car)
-Mercedes ML550 (kid-hauler)
-Past: 997S, E46 ///M3, 996 Turbo, E36 ///M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:01 AM   #77
stevehifi
First Lieutenant
169
Rep
389
Posts

Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Irvine,CA

iTrader: (2)

Hi Guys,

I took a ride in a friends car today who has this setup and here are my thoughts. BTW he had 19s all around. EDC was ZCP.

The kit is awesome, truly impressive for the price point. Car is extremely flat (no body roll), fantastic rebound control. No strange noises, quiet and quality dampening.

The reality: this is a stiff ride. nevermind comfort or sport plus, there's not much help there. As a passenger, I really wasnt comfortable. As a driver, that may be a different story (trade comfort for control)
It felt like a high end race like coilover system
with some minor softness adjustment (2-3 clicks) Its possible that having EDC programmed to CS dampening might solve the stiff ride (lower compression)

Night and day compared to stock, I have CS EDC with Swift springs and my car definitely felt sloppy after I drove off - amazing how bad the stock shocks are.

I think a good compromise would be to replace the stock shocks with Bilstein B6 damptronic in order to keep stock like spring rates for comfort and have excellent control of the bilsteins.
Appreciate 1
yjypm151.00

      01-15-2020, 01:57 AM   #78
jpy1980
Captain
205
Rep
742
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Hi Guys,

I took a ride in a friends car today who has this setup and here are my thoughts. BTW he had 19s all around. EDC was ZCP.

The kit is awesome, truly impressive for the price point. Car is extremely flat (no body roll), fantastic rebound control. No strange noises, quiet and quality dampening.

The reality: this is a stiff ride. nevermind comfort or sport plus, there's not much help there. As a passenger, I really wasnt comfortable. As a driver, that may be a different story (trade comfort for control)
It felt like a high end race like coilover system
with some minor softness adjustment (2-3 clicks) Its possible that having EDC programmed to CS dampening might solve the stiff ride (lower compression)

Night and day compared to stock, I have CS EDC with Swift springs and my car definitely felt sloppy after I drove off - amazing how bad the stock shocks are.

I think a good compromise would be to replace the stock shocks with Bilstein B6 damptronic in order to keep stock like spring rates for comfort and have excellent control of the bilsteins.
Haha no body roll? Where did you test drive it? A straight road with no curves? Ive had these on for awhile and I want to get rid of these due to the body roll. Or possibly change out the springs. I guess it all depends on where you drove it though. I thought these would be good for dual duty between street and track but I think i need something a bit more hardcore. My EDC is on the CS tune as well.

I wish they made the comfort more softer and the sport plus mode stiffer.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:57 AM   #79
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1111
Rep
1,185
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 Mineral White 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
I think a good compromise would be to replace the stock shocks with Bilstein B6 damptronic in order to keep stock like spring rates for comfort and have excellent control of the bilsteins.
This is all we ever wanted. But I'm not going to spend the equivalent of a B16D kit or more to get them from some UK vendor at UK prices. You just can't reasonably get them in the US. I got tired of waiting, so i thought B16D was the solution, and it wasn't (for me).

Regardless, my car is for sale, so I'm over it. No way in hell someone would have bought my car with B16D on.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #80
fknlo
Private
42
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: GTI, s2k, f80
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
This is all we ever wanted. But I'm not going to spend the equivalent of a B16D kit or more to get them from some UK vendor at UK prices. You just can't reasonably get them in the US. I got tired of waiting, so i thought B16D was the solution, and it wasn't (for me).
This doesn't seem that bad for a price. I have no idea of the availability of those or anything, but I've been looking at them for mine. I, like everyone else, want to improve the suspension while keeping EDC. You figure someone would have jumped on that by now and made it available in the US at a reasonable price.

Hell, if they're actually that hard to get here I might have to try and grab a set from that site.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #81
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1111
Rep
1,185
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 Mineral White 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fknlo View Post
This doesn't seem that bad for a price. I have no idea of the availability of those or anything, but I've been looking at them for mine. I, like everyone else, want to improve the suspension while keeping EDC. You figure someone would have jumped on that by now and made it available in the US at a reasonable price.

Hell, if they're actually that hard to get here I might have to try and grab a set from that site.
Many vendors in the US have them listed as available until you place the order, and then you get the email of regret stating that order cannot be fulfilled, and that's IF the vendor is an honest one. Otherwise they'll sit on your money indefinitely.

Bilstein USA still doesn't have the rears available on their website - that's the place to watch. However, yes, IF you can get the set from that vendor, absolutely jump on it - the price is right in the range of what I was expecting to pay when I was looking. Definitely don't want to discourage someone from trying. I'm just over getting my hopes up and then being let down.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #82
BzsBimmer
Brigadier General
BzsBimmer's Avatar
South Korea
894
Rep
4,312
Posts

Drives: 2011 X5M & 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nor. Cal

iTrader: (22)

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
Someone needs to try the KW DDC kit that had the Bilstein system, and compare.

I donít see any reviews on the KW DDC system.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #83
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1111
Rep
1,185
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 Mineral White 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Someone needs to try the KW DDC kit that had the Bilstein system, and compare.

I donít see any reviews on the KW DDC system.
I ran across a couple, and they were very positive. Only concern was the rear drop is very low, same as V3 if I recall correctly. But, it's considerably more expensive, personally out of my price range. B6D with springs is still the best way to go for a street car if you can get them in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #84
fknlo
Private
42
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: GTI, s2k, f80
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Many vendors in the US have them listed as available until you place the order, and then you get the email of regret stating that order cannot be fulfilled, and that's IF the vendor is an honest one. Otherwise they'll sit on your money indefinitely.

Bilstein USA still doesn't have the rears available on their website - that's the place to watch. However, yes, IF you can get the set from that vendor, absolutely jump on it - the price is right in the range of what I was expecting to pay when I was looking. Definitely don't want to discourage someone from trying. I'm just over getting my hopes up and then being let down.
I'll give that place a shout and see what they say.

I don't recall seeing them before, but I just checked and they do list a part for both left rear and right rear now.
Appreciate 1
ntg441110.50

      01-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #85
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1111
Rep
1,185
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 Mineral White 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fknlo View Post
I'll give that place a shout and see what they say.

I don't recall seeing them before, but I just checked and they do list a part for both left rear and right rear now.
Well no f***ing sh*t! FINALLY they're available! This is awesome. I got so tired of checking, as of 1 month ago they still weren't on there.

I almost want to delete my last 3 posts now haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #86
FreeDarko
First Lieutenant
71
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: UpNorth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
I wish there was an ability to tune the damping system for the b16 (possibly the OEM system). I currently have my EDC settings to the CS tuning and my b16s feel good, but I would like a way to make comfort, softer, and sport plus, harder.
There IS a product exactly like you're describing. It's basically a module that allows you to reprogram/customize the adaptive dampers to any level across many parameters...but it doesn't seem to be available for BMW. I had this on my 997S which had B16 Damptronics. Like the OP, I ultimately found them to be unbearably stiff on the street even in Normal (although amazing on the track in Sport). In addition to raising the ride height to well within Bilstein's recommended specs (they were initially a bit low, and I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't riding on the bumpstops), I also bought this DSC and reprogrammed the Damptronics so Normal was down to 0% stiffness (i.e., 100% soft). And the ride was still way too stiff for me on the street and I don't track enough to justify keeping a car like that around for a few weekend's per year. Rather than opening up new cans of worms like revalving and/or swapping springs, I ultimately just sold the car.

So here I am...now considering an F80 ZCP...and THAT is why I'm looking over old suspension threads! My current plan is to get the MP HAS (like the OP eventually did). My hope is that it'll be a sufficient suspension setup for a DD with a few track weekends/year.


https://www.dscsport.com/

I guess my take away would be that B16s (in either PSS10 or Damptronic version) aren't necessarily as street-friendly as many ppl claim they are, and this is apparently true across brands per the OP and my experiences. On the other hand, I had PSS10s on my E46 M3 and they were fine on the street so I can't claim they're always too stiff either!
If you are willing to install the DSC cables you can use it with the OEM shocks or Bilstein coils right now.

Only one the DSC sport module is not compatible with is the KW DDC.

JetBill used the DSC sport module with the M2 and raved about it.

Also the other option is Tractive coils that Litchfield and Dinan run on their m4s that all the reviewers have praised in the past.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #87
jpy1980
Captain
205
Rep
742
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
This is all we ever wanted. But I'm not going to spend the equivalent of a B16D kit or more to get them from some UK vendor at UK prices. You just can't reasonably get them in the US. I got tired of waiting, so i thought B16D was the solution, and it wasn't (for me).

Regardless, my car is for sale, so I'm over it. No way in hell someone would have bought my car with B16D on.
I thought you were getting the new exhaust prototyped on your car? Still selling the car? =(
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #88
jpy1980
Captain
205
Rep
742
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
If you are willing to install the DSC cables you can use it with the OEM shocks or Bilstein coils right now.

Only one the DSC sport module is not compatible with is the KW DDC.

JetBill used the DSC sport module with the M2 and raved about it.

Also the other option is Tractive coils that Litchfield and Dinan run on their m4s that all the reviewers have praised in the past.
I contacted DSC awhile back for this solution and they said if they got enough traction with our platform, they may support it. Maybe I need to look into their controller again.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST